Bacon reveals abuse by 'trolls' Page 2

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • spamdangled 18 Mar 2012 23:22:16 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw it briefly earlier.

    JK to mother: "WHY ARE YOU GOING THROUGH HIS ROOM ALL THE TIME? WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO DO THAT?"

    Son: "Don't talk to my mother like that"

    JK: "IF YOU DON'T LIKE HER GOING THROUGH YOUR ROOM, WHY HAVEN'T YOU MOVED OUT!"

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Tom_Servo 18 Mar 2012 23:25:49 15,532 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There was one I saw where he was giving some well-deserved shit to this women-beating ratboy, and then he mysteriously turned on her, going all "WHY ARE YOU STILL WITH HIM". Seems an obnoxious, unpleasant character. Like Alan Partridge, but meaner.
  • Lukus 18 Mar 2012 23:42:51 18,955 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure he used to present it last time round.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Deleted user 18 March 2012 23:48:40
    Stompy wrote:
    Fatiguez wrote:
    Despite your hilarious example, I don't think this is a million miles away from a good idea. Lumping 'trolling' into the same category as 'posting child pornography on dead people's Facebook walls and leaving messages on their parents' phones' isn't helping anything.
    We get by fine with "hit" referring to everything from "I hit him because he had a tantrum on the bus" to "I hit that old bastard so hard he fell down the stairs" to "I took out a hit on our mutual friend".

    Perhaps you're being a bit too sensitive to vocabulary, and not sensitive enough to context.
    But to be fair, we don't call someone who beats someone to death a 'hitter'.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Mar 2012 23:52:13 15,532 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    "Troll" also seems like quite a 'light' word, if you know what I mean. I think using it to describe people on the wind-up about, for example, games consoles is fine, but it doesn't seem appropriate when describing someone who defaces the memorial page for a dead kid.

    They're two wildly different things and it all coming under one umbrella of "trolling" actually lets people who do deface memorial pages and send racist messages to celebrities off the hook a little bit.
  • spamdangled 19 Mar 2012 00:00:29 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    "Troll" also seems like quite a 'light' word, if you know what I mean. I think using it to describe people on the wind-up about, for example, games consoles is fine, but it doesn't seem appropriate when describing someone who defaces the memorial page for a dead kid.

    They're two wildly different things and it all coming under one umbrella of "trolling" actually lets people who do deface memorial pages and send racist messages to celebrities off the hook a little bit.
    The same person can veer between those two extremes quite happily though. All they want is a reaction. To them, the ends justifies the means.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Tom_Servo 19 Mar 2012 00:02:53 15,532 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    "Troll" also seems like quite a 'light' word, if you know what I mean. I think using it to describe people on the wind-up about, for example, games consoles is fine, but it doesn't seem appropriate when describing someone who defaces the memorial page for a dead kid.

    They're two wildly different things and it all coming under one umbrella of "trolling" actually lets people who do deface memorial pages and send racist messages to celebrities off the hook a little bit.
    The same person can veer between those two extremes quite happily though. All they want is a reaction. To them, the ends justifies the means.
    I don't think that's true. I doubt someone who goes for the extreme option of upsetting relatives and friends of a deceased person would get any kind of a kick from winding up some Sony fans.
  • mal 19 Mar 2012 01:58:10 21,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trolling started life as a verb - trolling for fish, then trolling for abuse before it hit the internet and became trolling for flamebait. Finally, someone derived a noun from it, so someone that trolls in a troll. That unfortunately added connotations of mythical creatures, of light-hearted make-believe. I reckon that's where it went wrong - many people can troll, from the light-hearted wind-up, to cunts being cuntish.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2012 05:50:44 76,329 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you mean trawling.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 19 March 2012 06:40:07
    You need to focus on being correct, Dirtbox, as without that you're just posting pithy and often insulting statements that mean less than nothing.

    As least when you're right you have some kind of defence.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2012 06:42:13
    Trolls aren't exactly all that light-hearted. They live under bridges and eat children. If people keep making the mistake that "oh yeah, fairy tales are nice right" then the Disneyfication of the world will be sadly complete.
  • Lexx87 19 Mar 2012 07:29:08 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    Bacon would be a good choice to present The Big Breakfast when it returns this summer.
    Did I just wake up 10 years ago?

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2012 07:38:22 76,329 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    You need to focus on being correct, Dirtbox, as without that you're just posting pithy and often insulting statements that mean less than nothing.

    As least when you're right you have some kind of defence.
    That was in reply to mal. Focus on shutting up.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 08:58:29 19-03-2012

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • roz123 19 Mar 2012 09:44:01 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EG folk really do love talking about word definitions, that discussion always bores the shit out of me.

    My interest on this topic is discussing when should the police get involved. Personally I think they should when the troll threatens someone in the real world. I don't want to waste my taxes on the police hunting down some internet abuse when they are already under staffed to deal with the real problems in my area.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2012 09:53:07 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    EG folk really do love talking about word definitions, that discussion always bores the shit out of me.
    It is funny how nearly every subject worthy of debate is always immediately derailed by semantic pedantry.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2012 09:56:20 76,329 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let me know when you see a subject worthy of debate.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Metalfish 19 Mar 2012 10:04:29 8,689 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Back on topic, I've always found that since most of the objective seems to be gaining glee from angering the target (lol, umad? UMAD? PLEASE BE MAD IT VALIDATES MY EXISTENCE AND I CAN'T CLIMAX WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I HOLD THE POWER TO TEMPORARILY RAISE THE BLOOD PRESSURE OF SOMEONE I HAVEN'T MET. UMAD?), they'll move on to whoever they can actually get a rise out of pretty quickly.
  • spamdangled 19 Mar 2012 11:35:42 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It won't be the same without Chris Evans and Gaby Roslin.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 19 Mar 2012 11:41:49 7,386 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it a coincidence that most Internet trolls look like the actual trolls*?

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/madtv_viper/MADtv_Viper03/CordotheGapTroll05.jpg

    *purely speculative
  • spamdangled 19 Mar 2012 11:43:06 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is unclear as yet who would present the show, with original presenter Chris Evans busy working on BBC teat-time programme The One Show.

    Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/888760-the-big-breakfast-to-return-for-london-olympics-to-rival-daybreak#ixzz1pYutU2Td
    Heh. "teat-time".

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 19 Mar 2012 11:43:55 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Is it a coincidence that most Internet trolls look like the actual trolls*?

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/madtv_viper/MADtv_Viper03/CordotheGapTroll05.jpg

    *purely speculative
    Was that taken at last year's expo?

    ;-)

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • LeoliansBro 19 Mar 2012 11:59:01 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems those who claim they've been the victim of internet abuse and bullying are usually those who are actively looking for something to be a victim of.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • neilka 19 Mar 2012 12:07:07 14,942 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mmm, bacon rolls.
  • Tom_Servo 19 Mar 2012 12:08:07 15,532 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It won't be the same without Chris Evans and Gaby Roslin.
    Chris Evans is a fucking tool.

    Johnny Vaughan is where it's at.
    OH DEAR.
  • Megapocalypse 19 Mar 2012 12:15:37 5,228 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get Kelly Brook back on there. Always nice to wake up to.
  • Chopsen 19 Mar 2012 12:22:21 15,164 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What kind of lunatic watches morning TV? You should be asleep or going to work.
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply