Learning to code. Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 16 Oct 2012 22:48:20 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To my shame I drifted away from coding a month or two back, I still do the odd codecademy exercise here and there but I came to the end of the JS course and I'm not really interested in Jquery. So I wasn't really sure where to go next.

I tried some C# in visual studio but it's really hard to find good tutorials for C# that aren't either walls of text or just copying exercises.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• gammonbanter 16 Oct 2012 22:48:58 1,509 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will give netbeans a bash first - cheers.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 09:12:36 1,525 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I prefer Netbeans myself, it has plugins for most languages as well.

For the emperor!

• THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 09:16:02 33,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    every year or so i decide to take up learning coding again

it usually lasts about two weeks.

shame as i learned Java at uni, so it can't be that hard.

I just find i don't have any real ideas to code anything, so its a pointless exercise.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 09:16:03 1,525 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr-Brett There was a really good learning C# for XNA mini book floating around msdn for free a while ago. My mate went from Java to C# using it.

For the emperor!

• warlockuk 17 Oct 2012 09:53:34 19,185 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MSDN's reference materials aren't bad. I keep meaning to mess with XNA myself, but as my dayjob involves programming all I seem to want to do when I get home is music or home related.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Mr-Brett 17 Oct 2012 10:34:19 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sadly I don't have access to MSDN anymore but thanks for the tip anyway.

• Popzeus 17 Oct 2012 10:42:12 8,362 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't been on MSDN for a while but not sure MS have given a straight answer on how compatible (if at all) XNA will be with Win8 yet.

Not that anyone will be using Win8, I suppose, but there is the wider question of whether MS will continue to support the C#/XNA framework or replace it with something else.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 10:51:08
    I thought XNA had been thrown under the bus a little. XNA isn't officially supported in the latest Visual Studio Express editions and there's no Metro/Modern compatability so the opportunity to release anything onto the Windows Store is out the window too
  • Popzeus 17 Oct 2012 11:04:48 8,362 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that's what I'm getting at, don't think now is a good time to be getting into XNA. Legacy compatibility at best for Win8, not supported in Win Phone 8 except through backwards-compatibility, and doubt it'll be used for whatever the next-gen equivalent of XBLIG is either.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 11:38:15
    The game dev pages at Microsoft tell the story fairly well - XNA doesn't mention it's being outmoded but the Win8 dev pages suggest nothing short of a full Visual Studio 2012 will do for game development.

Seems odd for them to wholeheartedly abandon the framework, especially when it seems to have yielded them some pretty decent results.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 11:59:32 1,525 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the XNA situation isn't great, I meant it as a way to get some C# coding practice.

I really want to start doing some C++ stuff but like warlockuk after a day of coding at work I just want to chill when I get home. The 3+ hour commute doesn't help :(

I like the look of Lua actually (proprietary scripting language for cross platform mobile development by Corona Labs), I'm not sure I have the time or the patients for what many consider to be the toughest modern programming language.

For the emperor!

• gammonbanter 23 Oct 2012 20:54:51 1,509 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Downloading netbeans 7.2 now, anyone had experience of using the built in web server for PHP - that's what I've always wanted!
  • MMMarmite 23 Oct 2012 22:03:25 1,064 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @gammonbanter - there isn't one, the built-in web server is for Java EE only, you'll need to have a local web server installed with PHP setup to debug/run PHP from Netbeans. For Windows you can use XAMPP if you don't want to set it all up manually.

Edit: I suppose I shouldn't really call it a web server, and technically it's not built-in. Depending on the version you download there is a bundled version of Glassfish Application server that is partially configured for easy servlet/jsp testing.

Edited by MMMarmite at 22:21:08 23-10-2012
  • FanBoysSuck 23 Oct 2012 22:04:34 1,525 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    7.2 has a built in web server? Badass! If it sucks you can just use wamp/Mamp anyway ;)

Edit:ah well maybe not.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 22:05:52 23-10-2012

For the emperor!

• coastal 23 Oct 2012 22:32:26 5,384 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Brett, Head First do a C# book. If you like their style then its probably worth a shot. Don't get a kindle version these Head First books look terrible on a kindle.

here

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Mr-Brett 23 Oct 2012 23:11:02 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks coastal, I don't really have time at the moment so I've added it to my wish list and as long as the language hasn't become completely redundant by the time I can get around to it I'll give that book a try.

• catterz 24 Oct 2012 01:31:08 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr-Brett

C# and VB run on the .Net platform which will be around for a long time yet. They're releasing .Net 4.5 with Windows 8. 3.5 will still have some support for a while as well, and they're generally easy languages to pick up. The development environments have pretty decent debuggers too, which are installed with the software and require little to no configuring to work with.

Edit: And the Express editions are free and give you all you need to develop and debug.

Edited by catterz at 01:33:27 24-10-2012

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• gammonbanter 19 Dec 2012 00:05:21 1,509 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished a php5 evening course recently, I needed that motivation to get off my arse and actually write code. Need to keep it up now!
  • gammonbanter 13 Oct 2013 20:01:29 1,509 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone use Komodo for Python programming?

update - I'm using Geany for 2.7.5 it's lightweight and ideal for learning!

Edited by gammonbanter at 21:36:19 13-10-2013
  • Raiko101 28 Jan 2014 14:56:47 6,414 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey guys. I'm looking for some advice and direction from anybody with any experience with game development in HTML/Javascript.

Until recently the only languages i've ever used have been C++ and Actionscript. I'm familiar with the concepts of OOP and i've put together a few small games in Flash. However, I recently decided to move away from that area all together and try out other languages

Since late November i've been brushing up on HTML, CSS and Javascript, through Code Academy's website. I'm also eyeing up their crash course in Jquery as it seems to tie together everything i've learnt so far. However, i'm just wondering where else I can go from here? Am I ready to start seeking out game engines and the like? Are there any other websites out there that could aid a transition into game development?

I'm not at all used to working with game engines. I'm aware of a number of engine plug-ins for Flash, but like i've said, i've moved away from that area all together.

Any helpful pointers or advice would be much appreciated!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• askew 28 Jan 2014 15:03:03 12,416 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Hey guys. I'm looking for some advice and direction from anybody with any experience with game development in HTML/Javascript.

Until recently the only languages i've ever used have been C++ and Actionscript. I'm familiar with the concepts of OOP and i've put together a few small games in Flash. However, I recently decided to move away from that area all together and try out other languages

Since late November i've been brushing up on HTML, CSS and Javascript, through Code Academy's website. I'm also eyeing up their crash course in Jquery as it seems to tie together everything i've learnt so far. However, i'm just wondering where else I can go from here? Am I ready to start seeking out game engines and the like? Are there any other websites out there that could aid a transition into game development?

I'm not at all used to working with game engines. I'm aware of a number of engine plug-ins for Flash, but like i've said, i've moved away from that area all together.

Any helpful pointers or advice would be much appreciated!
    Check out this useful resource: http://jstherightway.org/#game-engines ImpactJS seems to get a load of credit.
  • Raiko101 28 Jan 2014 15:27:28 6,414 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers mate! I'm having a nose through it now. I'll probably start with a free engine if I can, but ImpactJS does seem rather good. The level editor in particular looks like quite a time saver.

• Raiko101 29 Jan 2014 07:10:56 6,414 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I truly fear PHP, but i've been looking into that as well. I 'dabbled' in it for the sake of web development at Uni, but i've yet to return to it. I didn't imagine I might have to return to it.

• Mr-Brett 10 Mar 2014 18:49:24 12,822 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't suppose anyone here knows Maxscript at all?
    It's a bit of a long shot I know but the more relevant places tend to not get response to questions for days.

Edit: Sorted now.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 23:38:01 10-03-2014

• Raiko101 8 May 2014 17:26:13 6,414 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm currently putting together a website for my girlfriend and it's the first website i've put together without the use of Dreamweaver. In fact i'm doing it all in notepad. I originally thought it would be a great and cheap way to reinforce the HTML, CSS and jQuery i've already learnt. However, if there's one thing I do feel i'm missing, it's the ability to create a html template.

I know Dreamweaver allows you to create DWT files, which are great if you're wanting to use the same graphics, structure and links for every page on your site. It's a great time saver and allows you to update site visuals in one quick swoop. However, i'm completely clueless as to how I might be able to create my own template without the aid of Dreamweaver.

Does anybody have any advice?

• jablonski 8 May 2014 17:39:07 4,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wordpress
  • Deleted user 8 May 2014 17:46:11
    Yeah, wordpress is just better and easier to modify. Plus, you won't have to keep updating it yourself. Show your gf how to update wordpres and you're done :)

I'd love to learn (and have tried) to code, but I seem to hit walls after getting so far. It's not the same, but I am things like game maker more fun though.

Edited by Adv at 18:00:21 08-05-2014
  • Raiko101 8 May 2014 18:02:27 6,414 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still in the process of structuring pages at the mo. It's not meant to be a blogging site, really. The idea is that eventually folk will be able to commission jewellery from the site. She really only seems to promote her work through either facebook or pinterest at the moment.

Edit - I'd rather integrate wordpress into the site i'm developing, but find the whole process mind-boggling. I've set up a wordpress site using templates, but it doesn't provide the visual freedom both she and I would like.

Edited by Raiko101 at 18:05:31 08-05-2014

• Page

of 7 First / Last