Doctor sets up 'one click' page to email MPs about NHS

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • 1Dgaf 12 Mar 2012 12:38:48 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EDIT:

Just so I'm not misleading anyone, he's a history PhD. It was pointed out to me but I should have read the right-hand side of his website here it's mentioned. I don't think that invalidates what he's doing, but it's important for context.

I found this quite useful. A doctor has set up a page where you can email and tweet peers and MPs. You have to do each one individually, but as long as you're logged in to Twitter or email, the text will be filled out for you; all you need do is click the button.

I've been doing it and I hope you will, too. We're in terrible trouble if we end up with an American style system - i.e. no system at all.

Help save the NHS

Edited by 1Dgaf at 18:34:46 12-03-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• mal 12 Mar 2012 12:44:06 22,332 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Couldn't you just use WriteToThem? Depends if you've got a meep who tweets I guess.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Mar 2012 12:53:28 37,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be doing this tonight. I've already signed the epetition. On a personal level my family will be financially impacted a great deal if this went ahead.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 12:53:33 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd like to inform the rest of Sutton that our Lib Dem MP is backing the NHS reforms, but I'm unsure of how to go about it without getting arrested.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• 1Dgaf 12 Mar 2012 12:56:32 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for posting to the link to Write To Them; I've not used it before, so I'll stick with the option I posted.

Metal

Why would you be arrested? Or are you joking? Find the twitter account of local paper and radio stations, perhaps.

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 12:56:43 77,461 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I'll be doing this tonight. I've already signed the epetition. On a personal level my family will be financially impacted a great deal if this went ahead.
    The biggest kicker is that those who wouldn't be impacted as harshly wouldn't save a penny by this going ahead.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• 1Dgaf 12 Mar 2012 13:02:00 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't find a link, but a private healthcare company was paying customers off to go back to the NHS when they needed particular treatment. Cheaper for the company. So the NHS has to do the work and the company still makes cash.

Terrible.

• MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 13:02:34 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the local paper is mostly used to line birdcages. I don't think we have a local radio station.

The easiest way of spreading the word about town would be posters, but that would be fly posting. Maybe handing out leaflets would work? Or can you get nicked for leafleting politically without sanction?

• 1Dgaf 12 Mar 2012 13:07:02 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is an article about Cameron and his disabled son. I imagine it would easy to have a knee-jerk reaction against the article, but I think it makes some good points.

http://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/we-need-to-talk-about-ivan/

• MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 13:25:39 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I could print up posters and ask the local newsagents to stick them up? That might work. Pretty sure it's legal. Maybe worth getting nicked over anyway, hey.

• oceanmotion 12 Mar 2012 13:42:53 15,647 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Since doctors etc. seem against this, is all that is needed to crush it, mass public outcry or do the Tories really not care as they will get voted in next term anyway?
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2012 13:47:22 53,786 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Since doctors etc. seem against this, is all that is needed to crush it, mass public outcry or do the Tories really not care as they will get voted in next term anyway?
    The principal players have too much money to make / potentially lose on the deal. The contracts have been signed, and it's going to happen whether the rest of us like it or not.
  • MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 14:01:46 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All the more reason to bury them, politically.

• agparrot 12 Mar 2012 14:23:49 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Same here, and what is more depressing is how many of the GPs I interact with regularly are also against this particular health bill. They aren't necessarily against some form of changes to or within the NHS, but the way that the commissioning part of this bill has been drawn up certainly seems to be specifically going to allow medical companies to cherry-pick the 'profitable' patients, with there then being no clear plans in place for what happens to all those patients that perhaps don't require services that are profitable or easy to provide.

I've spent a fair bit of time with epetitions and I've used WriteToThem regarding the bill, although my MP is Conservative, so that felt a bit like pissing into the wind.

Can't believe quite how much the LibDems seem to be deluding themselves over the changes they think they've made to the bill to make it better. I also think that politically it's too late to actually do anything about changing the bill, given the (warning: potentially left-leaning web link) apparent deep and wide ties between various people in government, and those people who stand to make the most money out of the NHS bill.

This is more an issue of the NHS than a party political one, for me. It isn't about sticking the knife in to the predictably tory Tories, or the surprisingly tory LibDems over their actions with regards to this bill, but more about how the bill essentially threatens to deconstruct that founding principle of free healthcare for everyone. That said, I can't see how the LibDems can retain any sort of credibility as a political entity after this and the welfare reform bill, both of which they seem happy to sign up to.

Perhaps they could just change the bill a little bit to say that anyone who signs to pass it agrees to no longer be entitled to private healthcare, as a mark of how sure they are that NHS treatment won't be affected in any negative way. Like when that dude who said he was confident about CJD fed his daughter a burger.

Edited by agparrot at 14:24:24 12-03-2012
  • Phily50 12 Mar 2012 15:24:33 2,198 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I'd like to inform the rest of Sutton that our Lib Dem MP is backing the NHS reforms, but I'm unsure of how to go about it without getting arrested.
    Is that Tom Brake?
  • MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 15:27:59 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phily50
    It's Paul Burstow.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next