Keyboard advice: thinking of getting a mechanical Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Razer 10 Mar 2012 23:57:46 1,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't say there is much between them. I think aesthetically the K90 looks a bit better, the backlight is better as the punctuation marks on the number keys light up whereas they don't on the black widow and you don't have that god awful tribal mark staring back at you.

It feels a bit comfier as well. I'm no touch typist but my fingers seem to hit the keys better on this board than the Razer one. Whether this is down to the spacing of the keys and my large hands, I'm not sure.

There are bag loads of macro keys if you're into that sort of thing, but the software for programming them is a a bit shonky and over complicated imho.

I was sorry to see the Razer keyboard go if I'm honest. If they had more in stock when I returned it I would have had another in a heartbeat. The Corsair K90 was pretty much the only other other board they had in a similar price bracket and I had read good things about them, so after having a play around with one I decided to go with it and have loved it since.
  • WrongShui 10 Mar 2012 23:58:48 6,617 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razer wrote:
    I had a black widow which just flat out died on me after only 4 months. Good keyboard (while it lasted) but very noisy/clicky with the key presses.
    I love the racket, pisses off my house mates no end.

Even better when you start yelling "Clickclickclickclickclick!" as you type.
  • Razer 11 Mar 2012 00:06:55 1,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha. Like I said, Not too good for late night gaming sessions, unless I wanted to annoy the fuck out of the wife. It did that superbly well.
  • Dirtbox 11 Mar 2012 00:18:54 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which K90 did you get?

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:19:19 11-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Razer 11 Mar 2012 00:25:14 1,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's only 1 Corsair K90 that I know of ?

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html
  • Dirtbox 11 Mar 2012 00:45:09 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's at least a couple, an FPS one and an MMO one unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: I was, it's a K60 - http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k60-performance-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

Edited by Dirtbox at 01:29:18 11-03-2012

• asha 11 Mar 2012 20:56:52 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone here used a Cyborg V7? If so, what did you think of it? Is it worth the money? I was considering buying one as a I already have a Cyborg Rat 3 mouse, which I really like. But I've since read lots of mixed opinions on it, apparently the keys aren't very responsive and a bit "spongy"?

I might just get one of these cheap Emprex keyboards temporary, then in a few months, when I have more money, get a mechanical keyboard. The Emprex Cheetah actually looks quite decent with it's anti-ghosting feature.

What should I do?

Edited by asha at 20:58:34 11-03-2012

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• freakybun 11 Mar 2012 21:24:42 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Best keyboard ever made.
    http://www.mikecase.net/ModelM/IBM-Model-M-Keyboard.jpg
    Yes!

The satisfying click.

Used to pair program with a guy that insisted on using one of these, its fantastic.

Going to try to hunt one down when I move house in a few weeks
  • Dirtbox 11 Mar 2012 21:32:24 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just ordered that Corsair K90. So much fannying about trying nail precisely what I wanted from the limited selection that's out there here in the UK but I think it's the right choice.

@asha If you want a decent cheap keyboard, MS are great and Novatech has really cheap, backlit gaming keyboards. Cyborg stuff is just ugly.

And you're in the wrong thread to ask about any of them because they're neither mechanical nor much cop.

• asha 12 Mar 2012 00:30:42 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @asha If you want a decent cheap keyboard, MS are great and Novatech has really cheap, backlit gaming keyboards. Cyborg stuff is just ugly.

And you're in the wrong thread to ask about any of them because they're neither mechanical nor much cop.
    I didn't want to start a new thread to ask my question and this thread seemed like as good a place as any. Thanks for your advice, I'll have a look on Novatech.

By the way, while were talking about mechanicals, what are the quietest switches? It'll be useful to know for when I eventually buy one.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 02:19:12 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Black and red.

• mal 12 Mar 2012 02:37:09 22,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think you can describe any of the mechanical switches as quiet. Buckling springs and Cherry MX blues all make a click as they operate. Cherry MX brown, red and black all don't, but then in my experience they all tend to bottom out easily and that makes a thump on most solidly made mechanicals. Theoreticaly, browns should be the easiest to type on quietly since they give tactile feedback before they bottom out, but I certainly can't do it reliably.

In my experience the best keyboards for typing quietly are laptop keyboards as short travel, rubber domes and largely plastic bodies absorb vibration, but unfortunately those things are largely incompatable with a comfortable typing experience.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• asha 12 Mar 2012 04:22:32 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I don't think you can describe any of the mechanical switches as quiet. Buckling springs and Cherry MX blues all make a click as they operate. Cherry MX brown, red and black all don't, but then in my experience they all tend to bottom out easily and that makes a thump on most solidly made mechanicals. Theoreticaly, browns should be the easiest to type on quietly since they give tactile feedback before they bottom out, but I certainly can't do it reliably.

In my experience the best keyboards for typing quietly are laptop keyboards as short travel, rubber domes and largely plastic bodies absorb vibration, but unfortunately those things are largely incompatable with a comfortable typing experience.
    A little noise is acceptable, I just don't want one that sounds like a typewriter.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• gamingdave 12 Mar 2012 12:04:41 4,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dirtbox What swayed you on the K90.

Certainly reviews well and with backlit keys, macros and a USB hub it's feature rich.

Was looking at that one, but still think I want browns, as it will be used mainly for work.

Would love to be able to try before I buy, and at the moment I keep changing my mind. One minute I think I would be better off grabbing a cheap MS board for now, and waiting till I can properly try some out next time I am in London. The next I am picking up the phone to order a Filco.
  • MetalDog 12 Mar 2012 12:20:58 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    asha wrote:
    A little noise is acceptable, I just don't want one that sounds like a typewriter.
    Do any keyboards reach the noise level of typewriters? Hard to imagine them hitting that decibel level. CLACK CLACK CLACKCLACKCLACK CLAK - RRRRRRTTTT DING!

For cheapie keyboards I've grown fond of Dell. They do some 'just the goddamn keys' versions that don't have all that extra plastic swooshy crap the MS ones are prone to, which is good for a small work area. Not so good for wrist support, granted.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 12:27:01 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buckling spring ones aren't far off, but I haven't seen one of those in forever. A lot of Model M's had them, but mine doesn't.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:27:52 12-03-2012

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 12:31:40 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hah http://webwit.nl/input/kbsim/

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 12:49:38 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    @Dirtbox What swayed you on the K90.

Certainly reviews well and with backlit keys, macros and a USB hub it's feature rich.

Was looking at that one, but still think I want browns, as it will be used mainly for work.

Would love to be able to try before I buy, and at the moment I keep changing my mind. One minute I think I would be better off grabbing a cheap MS board for now, and waiting till I can properly try some out next time I am in London. The next I am picking up the phone to order a Filco.
    There's not really enough between browns and reds for me, the macro keys and backlighting were a big pull as well.

I think if it's just for typing, I'd get a keyboard with blues. Browns are a halfway house between the gaming reds and the typing blues but doesn't really bite far enough into either to be truly great.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:50:53 12-03-2012

• mal 12 Mar 2012 12:52:52 22,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MX brown are closest to blacks in terms of force. Reds are like blacks but with a lighter touch.

• Dirtbox 12 Mar 2012 13:00:23 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The K90 has reds, which is what I was talking about, but yeah, they are softer.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:01:06 12-03-2012

• gamingdave 12 Mar 2012 16:51:12 4,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    There's not really enough between browns and reds for me, the macro keys and backlighting were a big pull as well.

I think if it's just for typing, I'd get a keyboard with blues. Browns are a halfway house between the gaming reds and the typing blues but doesn't really bite far enough into either to be truly great.
    Realistically the board will be used everyday for work, and sparingly for gaming, and so the focus has to be for work. I actually don't mind the keyboard on the laptop (HP EliteBook) but having finally got a second monitor the laptop will be the second screen and so I do need a new keyboard, else I will do my neck in constantly looking to the side!

Having listened to a lot of samples, I do think the blues are just a bit too noisy for me. It could be a long while before I learn not to bottom out though, and in that instance the reds and browns do sound very similar, but I think for typing I will benefit from the browns.

I think I will end up with the tenkeyless Filco, as it will save space on the desk, and I will always have the laptops keyboard for any heavier numpad work. Going brown gives the option of the Ninja as well, which I think looks great. I think if it was backlit it would be perfect for me, as I cant see myself using the macros much. In fact, I think I would use them more at work for code templates but I already have fast enough short-cuts for those.
  • Dirtbox 14 Mar 2012 11:57:58 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I've got the K90 and playing with it now. The lights are a tiny bit off putting with their brightest, but it feels very nice to type with.

Really impressed with the build quality and I've never had a wrist rest before so couldn't tell you if this is a good one or not, but it's certainly very comfortable.

The reds feel good and positive, not too noisy, but there's still a good amount of clack to them. They're nice and soft and very responsive. Also by now I'd have made about 15 mistakes with the apple keyboard that this is replacing, but so far I've made just a couple and this is the first time I've used it.

I need to read the manual, I've got no idea what the fuck I'm doing with these M and G keys yet. If you can't tell already, I'm just using this post to test it out and see if it suits me, and so far I really can't grumble.

Recommended purchase.

• Dirtbox 14 Mar 2012 12:01:06 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hm. Apparently there isn't a manual.

• Rusty_M 14 Mar 2012 12:19:59 4,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red, the blood of angry men.
    Black, the dark of ages past!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• mal 14 Mar 2012 12:26:40 22,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And the less said about brown and blue the better, I suppose.

• gamingdave 15 Mar 2012 14:07:52 4,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dirtbox, how you getting on a day latter? Still undecided and think I will wait a while till I have researched some more.
  • Dirtbox 15 Mar 2012 14:26:46 78,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty good! Settled in very nicely and enjoying the actual act of typing again. Took very little getting used to, it's more of a duck to water thing, where the water was previously pond scum.

• MetalDog 16 Mar 2012 19:59:45 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This thing* turned up tonight and the people who sent it included a Haribo lakritzshenecken in the box, so I got to do the unplugging and plugging in with a gobful of liquorice.

The keys are a standard layout, so I'm flying on it 20 mins in and I'm enjoying the old feel and clickity clackity a lot. It's probably a good thing my flatmate doesn't sleep in the room right next to mine anymore, though.

It sticks to my keyboard-drawer thing like glue. To type on it feels pretty much like an old IBM - I'll let you know if it gives me any bother when I've been using it longer, but thus far, I am a happy camper and expect the keyboard to have a long life - it's got a heavy, solid feel to it.

• MetalDog 16 Mar 2012 20:07:42 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, gamingdave, you might find this review link handy.

• MetalDog 19 Mar 2012 16:47:03 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having spent the weekend with it, the keyboard at work feels like spongy crap -
    but I doubt they'd love me if I brought the clickity one in.

The das is great for writing, love it to bits for that and since that's what I do most of, it's aces for me. Not so shit hot at FPS's, if your main goal is twitch gaming, you probably want to go for something other than the blue switches. It's not a big hang-up on WASD, but it's slightly less smooth for running and gunning.

• Page

of 5 First / Last