Keyboard advice: thinking of getting a mechanical Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 12:55:34 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blues feel like a typewriter because the mechanism travels the distance itself with a twangy click after a short push. They're actually quite nice. Annoying there are loads of well priced (40-50) cherry switch keyboards on Amazon, but it doesn't specify which type.

I think I'm going to get one. Problem is I always want a keyboard that lets you push more than a few keys at once which is a must for gaming and the combo doesn't come cheap.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:57:09 10-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• gamingdave 10 Mar 2012 12:58:52 4,187 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That is something I do tend to read quite a lot, that a lot of people bottom out anyway, making the difference redundant to an extent. The blues do make a very nice sound, at least it sounds that way on YouTube vids.
  • gamingdave 10 Mar 2012 13:14:54 4,187 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dirtbox - was thinking the Cherry G80 would be a good bet, but that's only 2KRO so I guess rules it out for gaming :(

This guide seems to list most of the boards out there.

Looks like the best board out there really is the Filco. Unfortunately its one of the most expensive.
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 13:31:10 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razer Black Widow seems to be the business for a pretty reasonable price. Blue switches, no fouling up if you press a load of keys, macros and so on. The backlit model is nearly double the price, which is annoying.

The only down side is that shitty tribal logo crap on it and the thought of that srs bsns dude patronising me while I use it.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:38:26 10-03-2012

• MetalDog 10 Mar 2012 13:59:53 23,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razer's no good to me. Those macro keys on the left would fuck my typing right up for ages and I have to switch between keyboards for home/work so it would take even longer to get used to it.

I like the look of them, though. Very 70's sci fi. Reckon I'm going to go Das though.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 14:09:27 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Takes no time to get used to different keyboard layouts in my experience.

I spent years going between US layout on macs to UK layout on PCs which shouldn't have driven me barmy by rights, but you adapt very quickly. Having a few extra keys to the side won't make the slightest difference.

I notice the pics on that page are of a US layout, Amazon states they have the UK layout version which is the same price, so if I were to go with that board, I'd get it from them.

I don't think DAS really has a lot over it, aside from being twice the price.

• Lukus 10 Mar 2012 14:14:22 18,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Barely relevant to the thread, but I've just ordered this wireless keyboard so I can be a lazy bastard and do stuff from my bed. I'm strangely excited about the trackball, even though I know it will almost certainly be shit.

Paintings & Photographs

• MetalDog 10 Mar 2012 14:14:41 23,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't have an adaptable brain when it comes to keyboard layouts that are a whole key off. You should see me on those ergonomic things, or laptop keyboards. I turn into a complete dribbler. Know thyself, I say =)

If the Das holds a candle to my old mechanical it'll last me about a decade.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Fatiguez 10 Mar 2012 14:15:52 8,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Am I alone in hating thin 'Enter' keys, or am I just a fat fingered fuck? It's the easiest way to ruin a keyboard for me :(
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 14:19:40 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it's got to be a full on giant L. The UK layout usually has that while the US layout chops it in half with a weird backslash key.

Here's the UK one.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:22:49 10-03-2012

• disusedgenius 10 Mar 2012 14:30:03 5,224 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the small returns fuck me over all the time. That and the speech marks - though I should really get into the habit of using single marks for string anyway.

What is a killer is using a US keyboard with a UK key mapping - goodbye Python comments. :(
  • mal 10 Mar 2012 14:30:49 22,341 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That Razer doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, but I still like the look of the Filco Majestouch. There's very little between the Das and the Filco last time I checked, except for the USB hub on the Das and the matt finish on the Filco.

Of course, there's more than Cherry MX switches out there - Unicomp are the company I was half thinking of earlier that still make Model M keyboards, although of course they can't call them Model M. They're still bucking spring though and deliciously oldschool.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 14:59:24 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good luck getting Unicomp to make a keyboard with a UK layout.

• gamingdave 10 Mar 2012 15:03:25 4,187 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From reading around, Filco and Das look very closely matched. I prefer matt to gloss so would go Filco. It's one of the things putting me off the Black Widow.

Incase you missed it off the last page, the Unicomp boards are available here and here. Not cheap at 120, but
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 15:04:18 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yeah, they're UK.

• Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 15:07:10 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This makes my brain flick out of the wrong ear.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:07:54 10-03-2012

• Fatiguez 10 Mar 2012 15:15:09 8,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That is all kinds of wrong.

The odd thing is, I'm aware of the fact that weirdo satanic lefty mutants have issues using non-symmetrical mice, but I'd never considered the idea of a reversed keyboard before
  • mal 10 Mar 2012 15:30:13 22,341 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Good luck getting Unicomp to make a keyboard with a UK layout.
    I grew up learning to type on 8-bit micros, where there was pretty much no such thing as a standardised layout beyond QWERTY and fat enter keys were unheard of.

I use the mouse in my left hand usually, so I appreciate a symmetrical mouse, but I don't understand leftie gamers sometimes; WASD is in your left hand anyway, and that's where you need the dexterity in gaming. An old leftie mate used to play consoles with the controller reversed (so the cable comes towards you), but then he also used to play using his fingers rather than his thumbs, so I probably can't generalise from his case.

• monkehhh 10 Mar 2012 15:47:28 3,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Keyboards are srs business I see!

I would like something well built, reasonably quiet, at home both gaming (shootings, racing, flying, etc) and typing (loooong essays, dissertations, etc).

What's a good board for about 75? Do I even want mechanical?
  • Fatiguez 10 Mar 2012 15:55:03 8,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    WASD is in your left hand anyway, and that's where you need the dexterity in gaming.
    Surely you want the mouse in your better/more accurate hand? The difference in dexterity for pressing keys won't really make a difference, but I'd imagine it's fairly significant when aiming a mouse, no?
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Mar 2012 16:08:30 7,144 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Incase you missed it off the last page, the Unicomp boards are available here and here. Not cheap at 120, but
    Yeah I was gonna say...typing on a Unicomp with UK layout right now.
  • mal 10 Mar 2012 16:12:21 22,341 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's largely down to what you're used to I find. My left hand is a little less dextrous than my right in general, but it depends what I'm doing. I switched to left handed mousing about 15 years ago simply because it made my desk layout tidier, and these days it's just as comfortable. If I play FPSes my performance is still a bit better in my right hand, but for general mousing there's very little in it, and besides, I don't often play FPSes.

• Fatiguez 10 Mar 2012 16:20:21 8,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair enough. I wasn't really talking about FPSes, the majority of PC games use the mouse in some capacity or another, and it tends to be the case in games that you'll often need to do things quickly or accurately
  • mal 10 Mar 2012 16:23:12 22,341 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sure, I've just not noticed the difference outside FPSing - I did find some of the levels of World of Goo difficult using a trackball in my left hand, but I reckon that's more down to the trackball than my hand.

• Fatiguez 10 Mar 2012 16:29:17 8,707 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, yeah, naturally. In that way, I imagine that trying to paint a picture with a broken brush would negate the difference between hands :p
  • mal 10 Mar 2012 16:38:04 22,341 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, I love my logi marble trackball - much more precise than a mouse, at least over short distances. When you need to cover a large distance it's good too as you can just fling the ball - but covering a large distance and then getting precision is tricky cos when you fling the ball it could go basically anywhere.

• Razer 10 Mar 2012 23:08:32 1,029 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a black widow which just flat out died on me after only 4 months. Good keyboard (while it lasted) but very noisy/clicky with the key presses.

I ended up swapping for a Corsair K90 as they had no black widows in stock, and I'm glad I did. I much prefer it, just feels better all round. I don't do a great deal of typing on it though, pretty much just a gaming keyboard for me and it does that job very well indeed.
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 23:30:30 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They have cherry reds which don't click, right?

• Razer 10 Mar 2012 23:36:16 1,029 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah not much clickety clackity going on compared to the black widow. That was one noisy bugger. Not so good for those late night gaming sessions when the wife is trying to sleep.
  • Dirtbox 10 Mar 2012 23:43:05 77,477 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Noise doesn't bother me much, anyone who knowingly chooses a cherry blue switched board knows what they're in for.

What other advantage does it have and which one did you go for? There seems to be a couple of models.

Edited by Dirtbox at 23:44:20 10-03-2012

• Page

of 5 First / Last