Adverts grinding my laptop to a halt

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • bigpun 7 Mar 2012 03:47:16 7 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Eurogamer is one of the few websites which I explicitly allow adverts to display on, most others I usually block using the usual tools.

However, when browsing on my Macbook Air (not especially new, but doesn't struggle with anything I usually throw at it) the machine grinds to a halt. I've noticed its only really when the Flash intensive Mass Effect 3 adverts are displayed.

After turning the ad exclusion off - effectively hiding adverts on this website, all is normal again. So my suspicion was correct.

I actually like seeing the gaming ads on this site as it is something i'm interested in sometimes clicking on, but when it affects the performance of my machine i'm afraid they have to go.

Just thought i'd give you a warning as i'm sure there are plenty of other users with the same issue.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2012 05:11:21 77,480 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Adblock.

Macs give less of a fuck about you than EG does, and are too busy cavorting in their own effluent to give a fuck about your browsing habits. And use a proper browser ffs.

Edited by Dirtbox at 05:15:27 07-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• elstoof 7 Mar 2012 07:17:37 6,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Click-to-flash.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 7 Mar 2012 07:41:10 14,033 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm also using a Mac Air, just switch to the Portable view and everything will be fine.
    The site looks better and most ads are static. :)
  • bigpun 7 Mar 2012 09:17:21 7 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Adblock.

Macs give less of a fuck about you than EG does, and are too busy cavorting in their own effluent to give a fuck about your browsing habits. And use a proper browser ffs.
    Ouch, upset much?

Anyway..

Syrock, I take it you have the same issues when browsing on an Air? It's a shame to have to switch to the portable view for the sake of a few ads that spoil the experience but I guess I don't have much choice. Will probably just AdBlock when browsing on the Mac.

Any by the way Dirtbox, I do use Adblock, with Firefox. I didn't realise Firefox wasn't considered a proper browser these days amongst Internet Nazis.

Edited by bigpun at 09:17:59 07-03-2012
  • ModishNouns 7 Mar 2012 09:36:04 4,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bigpun wrote:
    Any by the way Dirtbox, I do use Adblock, with Firefox. I didn't realise Firefox wasn't considered a proper browser these days amongst Internet Nazis.
    Tsk, you should be using Lynx like the rest of us. Shit hot browser AND deodorant in one. The ladies love it.
  • oupe 5 Apr 2012 08:53:11 84 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll revive this thread. I installed Adblock because of the stupid PlayStation ad. It brings FF on it's knees on a 2.5GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM.
  • craigy Staff 5 Apr 2012 09:10:22 7,541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey everyone,

We're looking into why the ad is slowing Firefox down -- will let you know what we find.
  • nickthegun 5 Apr 2012 09:14:06 58,885 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll give you a bullet point for your meeting

- firefox is shit

I dont know whats happened to it recently, but it has become buggy, unstable crap.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• onestepfromlost 4 Nov 2012 16:01:09 2,039 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know of a good free adblock for IE ( i dont want to hear shit about it being a crap browser, thats not my question) I did have simple adblock but they have started charging for it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next