MLB 12 The Show Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Rigu7 7 Mar 2012 11:52:51 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just ordered this yesterday. I got quite heavily into the sport when ESPN America started showing it in HD, so imported the last two PS3 titles.

You can get the general gist of things as you go along but some of the fundamental rules such as "force outs" and "tagging up" are not necessarily explained in the game iirc and you need to have a handle on these to enjoy a full match or career.

They're pretty simple, but occasions can arise when they can be complex.

To be honest, you'll get enjoyment from batting practice and the Home Run Derby, but be warned it can be frustrating when you continually strike out in games. Thankfully there are sliders, no baseball pun intended, all over the shop to make things easier.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2012 12:21:15
    @spudsbuckley
    Unfortunately it's US and Canada only. And I don't think creating a US account will get round this. (eg - to use Sky Player here in Brussels, I need to log in via a UK VPN.)
  • Darren 8 Mar 2012 12:25:17 8,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm starting to wonder if PlanetAxel are a bit crap as despite being released on the 6th March in the US, my order for PSV MLB 12 The Show is showing as not being released yet. They took the money straight away when I ordered it last week and I'm still waiting for my 32 GB memory card to arrive from them too. :(

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• MadCaddy13 9 Mar 2012 12:44:18 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For anyone who has the show on vita - how in depth is it? Is Road to The Show on there?
    I'd be gutted if it wasn't!
  • Darren 9 Mar 2012 14:20:43 8,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PlanetAxel shipped my PSV copy yesterday at the same I received my 32 GB memory card from them. Should take about a week to arrive based on the memory card delivery time.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• DarthKebab 10 Mar 2012 13:34:16 403 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    For anyone who has the show on vita - how in depth is it? Is Road to The Show on there?
    Road to the show, Franchise, Season, Practice and Home Run Derby are in there.
  • MadCaddy13 10 Mar 2012 22:09:06 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DarthKebab wrote:
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Road to the show, Franchise, Season, Practice and Home Run Derby are in there.
    can't wait! I like doing road to the show as a free agent, last year I started in Cincinnati in the minors and ended up being in the 3rd slot for the rangers!
    Then I snapped the game in half :/
    If I do that to the vita I will never play a baseball game ever again!!
  • Deleted user 12 March 2012 19:03:14
    Right, my double pack arrived today and i tried redeeming the online pass for the Vita version and it doesn't work.

Google says that imported Vita games with online passes will not allow a redemption of this pass on anything but an account from the territory that the game was released in. I could set up a US account for it but i'm not going through the hassle of switching accounts to play one game.

Maybe this issue has come up before but i thought i'd highlight it for anyone thinking of getting this or any other import that has an online pass.
  • DarthKebab 12 Mar 2012 19:27:10 403 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I created a thread on the official forums for this issue, one of the dev team has responded to say they are looking into ways to getting Europe players on.
  • MadCaddy13 12 Mar 2012 20:41:14 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just had a quick blast on this for the vita. It's really nice, it still kinda feels like its the trimmed down version (probably coz it is!)
    Currently not a fan of the pulse pitching.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2012 21:04:12
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Just had a quick blast on this for the vita. It's really nice, it still kinda feels like its the trimmed down version (probably coz it is!)
    Currently not a fan of the pulse pitching.
    I'm installing the PS3 version at the mo but you can definitely see cut corners in the PS Vita version. There's no one in the dugouts, the framerate chugs occasionally - particularly in the little post play animations, there's no animations for the set-ups for pitches - they just happen and the players models and stadia look a bit iffy at times.

The game is still amazing. I have never played a "The Show" game before but i played a good bit of MLB 2K11 (a fine game) since it came out and this just shits all over it. It feels more faithful to the actual sport whereas the 2K series feel very "videogame-y".
  • harriselhoff 12 Mar 2012 21:43:13 140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Right, my double pack arrived today and i tried redeeming the online pass for the Vita version and it doesn't work.

Google says that imported Vita games with online passes will not allow a redemption of this pass on anything but an account from the territory that the game was released in. I could set up a US account for it but i'm not going through the hassle of switching accounts to play one game.

Maybe this issue has come up before but i thought i'd highlight it for anyone thinking of getting this or any other import that has an online pass.
    Really hope they come up with a fix. I got them both, and I'm not sure how much I'd use the cross play, but I hate feeling like I don't have the full version of the games.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2012 09:56:29
    Played a couple of games on both the PSV and PS3 verisons.

The home console version is far superior. Great looking, silky smooth framerate and just better presented overall. The PSV version is fine but it really suffers badly in comparison. A lot of cut corners on the visual end of things and it's lacking a couple of modes which i can't remember but there is definitely less stuff in the modes-menu on the PSV, i'll post them when i get home for anyone who's interested.

If you only had the PSV version then none of this would really matter but playing the PS3 version sort of cheapens the experience.
  • DarthKebab 13 Mar 2012 10:08:13 403 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find the Vita version compares more to 11 than 12, since playing 12 on ps3 it is a bit ahead of it but at its core it's still amazing and I love the visuals despite the odd moment of crap.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2012 10:14:54
    Let's be honest now, it's much more than 'a bit ahead'.

But, as you said the Vita version is still good.
  • andijames 13 Mar 2012 13:11:12 2,693 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Which one would you recommend then gents? I'm debating whether to get this on the PS:V as it lends itself well to playing on a handheld but am wondering if it's worth just getting it on the PS3?

vivir el momento

• goatwack 13 Mar 2012 14:09:01 3 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn. I had ordered the import Vita version on the premise that it would be near- identical to its PS3 counterpart. To hear that they have made so many visual omissions is regrettable and will somewhat detract from the experience. Reviews of the Vita versions were scarce at release and no mentions were made of any cutbacks, but I'm confident that the gameplay still holds up and has marginally improved since my last foray into the franchise, ie MLB: The Show 10. As a standalone sports game it was outstanding, not to mention the entire series. By far the best video- game representation of any sport, ever!
  • DarthKebab 13 Mar 2012 15:47:59 403 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    goatwack wrote:
    Damn. I had ordered the import Vita version on the premise that it would be near- identical to its PS3 counterpart. To hear that they have made so many visual omissions is regrettable and will somewhat detract from the experience. Reviews of the Vita versions were scarce at release and no mentions were made of any cutbacks, but I'm confident that the gameplay still holds up and has marginally improved since my last foray into the franchise, ie MLB: The Show 10. As a standalone sports game it was outstanding, not to mention the entire series. By far the best video- game representation of any sport, ever!
    Honestly don't think you will be dissapointed at all, must have put in 30 hours at least and I love it, graphically it's fine, never thought the ps3 games looked that great though with its slightly low res textures.

Only major loss is no automatic replays and no highlights not to mention you can't save any manual replays.

Hitting does feel harder on default sliders so I needed to slow the pitch speed down and up human contact to make it more like the ps3 version.
  • Rigu7 14 Mar 2012 10:02:30 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Started playing yesterday and it does exactly what I wanted. Quick baseball that I can sink countless hours into whilst the missus watches telly.

Graphically, it's fine, the only minor gripe is that one of the "behind the pitcher" views makes a very pixelly attempt at rendering the crowd. No big deal to be honest; I found them moving about quite distracting when trying to hit the sweet spot, so switched to a closer view.

Hitting is definitely harder. I'm on veteran, the second easiest, and struggling badly on default sliders. I might go back to timing only and switch guess pitch / zone hitting off to get used to speed and movement on the smaller screen.

The lack of bells and whistles when hitting a homerun is a little disappointing, so room for improvement there, but as an offline player I'm very pleased with what it does.
  • andijames 14 Mar 2012 16:30:23 2,693 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Popped in 08 last night to see if it was worth me getting 12 (i.e. if i enjoyed it as much as i thought i did) and i loved it. Only thing was when batting i couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo! Was a complete nightmare. Getting the hang of pitching though but kept getting the buttons mixed up. Very complex game but well worth the effort. Still wondering to get the PS3 version or the Vita version though. Decisions decision!

vivir el momento

• DarthKebab 14 Mar 2012 19:02:51 403 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Both!
  • Deleted user 14 March 2012 20:17:43
    andijames wrote:
    Popped in 08 last night to see if it was worth me getting 12 (i.e. if i enjoyed it as much as i thought i did) and i loved it. Only thing was when batting i couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo! Was a complete nightmare. Getting the hang of pitching though but kept getting the buttons mixed up. Very complex game but well worth the effort. Still wondering to get the PS3 version or the Vita version though. Decisions decision!
    The PS3 verison is immesureably superior.
  • MadCaddy13 14 Mar 2012 20:24:12 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm pleased I got the vita version. It does the job perfectly
  • Deleted user 14 March 2012 20:53:13
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    I'm pleased I got the vita version. It does the job perfectly
    Have you played the PS3 version?
  • MadCaddy13 14 Mar 2012 22:16:11 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No dude, and I won't be getting it either. I've had a few Shows on the ps3 and I know they are the better games but I just wanted to know how the vita one was. It's about 15 quid less so it stands to reason it's the lesser version.
    I never did see the point in getting both :s
  • NotSoSlim 16 Mar 2012 12:50:47 3,116 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Darren 17 Mar 2012 18:44:43 8,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got the PS Vita version today and have been playing it all afternoon. I think the game is really good. The developers have done a grand job of squeezing as much of the PS3 version onto a tiny handheld but it's understandable that it doesn't quite match up to the visual presentation and detail of its big brother. It still looks very good though and the cutdown presentation at least speeds up the game which is better for a handheld anyway.

My only real disappointment, apart from the game causing my first hard freeze (likely because I was playing custom music with the game), is that the Online Pass doesn't work. I've gone and ordered the PS3 version so I could use the Cloud to swap between playing on the console and handheld but it doesn't work. Terrific! If the game didn't use an Online Pass then their wouldn't be any problems. As such it's unfair for non-U.S. gamers that they can't currently use what is a great feature. PlanetAxel certainly didn't warn me about that when they listed the game as Region-free. :(

• Deleted user 17 March 2012 19:09:44
    Ah, fuck. Didn't realise you needed the online pass for the cloud save transferring.

The Vita version is almost utterly worthless to me until they fix it so.
  • Darren 17 Mar 2012 19:24:38 8,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @spudsbuckley - None of the online functionality will work without the Pass which does kind of cripple the game somewhat, not just because of online multiplayer, but other things such as the MLB.com links and leaderboards as well as the Cloud saving feature. It's a shame Sony had to go this route as I had no problems accessing online functionality in the previous PS3 games.

• harriselhoff 27 Mar 2012 00:14:54 140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone seen or heard of any updates on the online codes not working here in the UK?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last