Birds of Steel

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • oldschoolsoviet 6 Mar 2012 18:06:26 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, nobody else interested enough to start a thread ?

New(ish) game from Gaijin, building on the console version of Il-2 Sturmovik previously released. Lots of favourites returning, especially the B-17s, but now with added Lancasters, B-24 Liberators, Beaufighters, Catalinas and more. With a whole new focus on the Pacific theatre, there's a range of new Japanese and US planes, along with more European japes. Didn't realise it was so close to release (16th, next Fri) so it's kinda snuck up !

Official Site
    Official Forum - scary place
    Some (poor) gameplay
    Official Trailer

Sturmovik provided some brilliant dogfighting afternoons, and some lovely scenery to whizz around. Judging by what's being posted on the forum, they've definitely learnt/improved off the back of it. No missing German cockpits I hope ! New additions include a 4 player co-op mode, and an improved random/custom quick fight. Seems to be another 30 release in most places, and worth a punt if you enjoyed Il-2.
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Mar 2012 19:33:30 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Awww, c'mon.....

Nobody ?

Even with the Ruhr Valley and Lancasters as a spoilery hint to one mission shirley......?

/whistles Dambusters March
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2012 19:42:00 9,583 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bummer I thought this was about robot lasses!
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Mar 2012 22:30:22 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    *sigh*

Finally found a good preview courtesy of Qore. Apologies for the atrocious voiceover.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2012 22:42:24 6,838 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm certainly interested, really love the IL-2 realistic plane schtick.

I hugely missed my PC's TrackIR head thingy on the PS3 though, hard to track stuff in the cockpit view with a little waggly stick.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2012 23:16:08
  • Maturin 13 Mar 2012 07:55:46 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just pre-ordered this on ps3.

I normally get the Xbox version of multi platform releases but the ps3 version is likely to get better post release support. Hopefully the graphics/framerate won't be inferior

There may be the added bonus that my Saitek joystick might work on the ps3 game.
  • StackMonkey 13 Mar 2012 08:16:17 129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got this on pre-order, looks to be a real labour of love by the developer.
    Looking like a worthy successor to IL2, particularly liking the fact they actually taped the engine sounds etc.

That corsair sounds lovely on the vid above.

Thankfully it seems it's not only Dice or Turn 10 who realise sound is just as important as physics and shiny graphics.

Anybody used a flight stick on the 360?

Big screen TV, 7.1 Surround, Rolls Royce Merlin in my living room :)

Stackmonkey

• fletch7100 13 Mar 2012 08:49:49 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Metro review

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/892814-birds-of-steel-review-finest-hour
  • fletch7100 13 Mar 2012 08:56:27 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With campaign co op missions and stand alone co op missions. This sounds good.

Like this bit from the review

"And yet we'll end this review as we've done with every one of Gaijin Entertainment's flight sims, with the fervent wish that LucasArts would sign them up for a new Star Wars: X-Wing "
  • Monsieur_Blade 13 Mar 2012 09:45:04 343 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That review has made me really interested in this now.

I loved il2 sturmovik when i first got it on the 360 but for some reason i only got to the second campaign and then left it for a few weeks and never went back and completed it.

This has persuaded me to give it another go. Just need to pull myself away front mass effect 2 and skyrim now... Easier said than done!
  • RedSparrows 13 Mar 2012 10:33:39 22,337 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I will get this, and shout 'tally, bally ho!' All the time. I like the idea of co-op missions.

Edited by RedSparrows at 10:34:11 13-03-2012
  • fletch7100 13 Mar 2012 11:10:37 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Mar 2012 11:36:41 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thankfully it seems it's not only Dice or Turn 10 who realise sound is just as important as physics and shiny graphics.

Loved Focke Wulf 190 cannons, just the relentless, dull metallic ca-chunk. Turn off the HUD, crank up the volume, and it's sublime.

The one thing that was missing was the variety of aircraft, and the omission of key planes. Looking through the lists, I'm glad that's no longer the case. Hoping for some famous/special missions, especially with the Mosquitos.

I normally get the Xbox version of multi platform releases but the ps3 version is likely to get better post release support. Hopefully the graphics/framerate won't be inferior.

If I remember, both versions of Il-2 had bad tearing, but it was patched on the PS3. Wasn't there some hoo-hah about patch delays/lack of support on 360 ? I notice a lot of the official forum nutters prefer the PS3 version.

ED: Yep, MS dragged their heels with patches. EG search works !
  • StackMonkey 13 Mar 2012 11:45:20 129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well Shopto have just dispatched my copy, should be here for wed/thurs :cool:

EDIT: Ooops they just billed me, should be despatching today, fingers crossed.

Edited by StackMonkey at 11:48:43 13-03-2012

Stackmonkey

• RedSparrows 13 Mar 2012 11:45:34 22,337 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:

Brilliant. Almost a parody of itself :)
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Mar 2012 11:49:37 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still use that with my Polish colleagues !

Don't forget the Pacific.
  • StackMonkey 13 Mar 2012 11:56:38 129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

Definately, Janes WWII fighters had the most amazing sounding Me 109 :)

Flight sims have always been my favourite, still got boxed copies of;
    EAW, Tornado, X Wing, Tie Fighter, Gunship 2000, used to play Warbirds online back in the day too.

Flew in an online squad in Il2 for a few years.

EDIT. Chuck Yeagers air combat too, still the boss :-)

Edited by StackMonkey at 12:02:35 13-03-2012

Stackmonkey

• Maturin 13 Mar 2012 11:56:56 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I believe there was a major title update for Sturmovik on PS3 as it had a larger community, but the publisher at the time didn't fund the same for Xbox 360. Hence my choice to go PS3 in this case, which as I said, goes against what I'd normally do.

Oooh my ShopTo order has shipped. Should be here tomorrow.

Edited by Maturin at 11:57:47 13-03-2012
  • fletch7100 14 Mar 2012 07:08:50 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Took the plunge and lee ordered from shopto. Need a decent flight sim type game, Will support the makers with my hard earned cash
  • Maturin 14 Mar 2012 13:38:56 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My copy arrived this morning from ShopTo.

Only had a quick play so far as my two little boys wanted to watch it in action. So did the take off training mission - which bored them. But then tried a couple of single missions which were great.

The first put me in a flight of four BF110 against Avro Lancasters heading to bomb Essen. On the map it showed the Lancasters flying in a line, looked like there was 15-20 planes. Not bad, I thought. Once I actually got close to them I saw the map indicator wasn't for single aircraft, but for flights of six. And so the sky was full of Lancasters - not seen anything like it in a console game. This was a night mission - so the sky was full of tracers, green from the Lancasters, red from us. Absolutely action packed stuff. And as the bombers got towards Essen the FLAK started coming up, and searchlights too, which was really impressive. I tried the mission on realistic - then switched to easy - because I realised it's hard to concentrate and show a two and five year old an exciting game.

The second mission I tried was a daytime raid on a German factory. I was in a flight of four P51 fighters armed with guns and rockets and tasked with destroying the factory's FLAK defenses. Brilliant fun, swooping and diving, flying between cooling towers and factories to shoot the gun positions. Graphics are gorgeous and smooth, even with loads of planes, AAA explosions and scenery,

The best thing was that these two missions I described are available to be played via online co-op public or private, or you can just play them offline with the AI. I've not even tried the main campaign yet. There's even a dynamic campaign option - something I've been saying is sorely lacking in modern games - we used to get them all the time in old sims.

So anyway, first impressions are very positive. Oh and you can save and watch replays of your missions now, which is nice.

Edited by Maturin at 13:39:34 14-03-2012
  • cianchristopher 14 Mar 2012 13:46:11 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One thing I like about Gaijin is that they listen to their customers. I bought Wings of Prey on Steam when it launched in Jan 2010, but at the time I was unaware that the game came with 3rd Party DRM that was pretty intrusive and very limited (i.e. 3 activations and you're out).

When I ran out of activations by the end of the year (due to changing hardware), I emailed them and asked to be reset. I also politely suggested that they remove their DRM, as the sales period of the game had waned, and the 1st anniversary since launch was approaching.

Sure enough, a week or two later they removed the DRM from the Steam version, 'in honour' of the 1 year anniversary. Pretty cool, I thought.

...And that's my Gaijin Entertainment story.
  • StackMonkey 14 Mar 2012 13:53:32 129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Maturin

Jammy bugger, shopto are still processing my order.

From that description it's sounding like a possible successor to European Air War, bang on :-)

Stackmonkey

• Maturin 14 Mar 2012 13:56:03 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah European Air War was brilliant. Yes first impressions are very positive.

I need to try my PC flight stick later, if that works, that would be brilliant. There's a mission editor too - should be good for setting up epic battles.
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Mar 2012 14:05:57 5,460 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds absolutely bang on, and they've definitely listened to feedback/criticism.

Oh and you can save and watch replays of your missions now, which is nice.

Hallelujah. Don't think I'll need anything else until Witcher 2. Sounds like the flight game I've wanted for years (without faffing with PCs) but I fear it'll still underperform like Apache:AA. Hopefully the US will lap it up with the Pacific focus.
  • barchetta 14 Mar 2012 15:00:27 1,325 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So which platform are people plumping for? Would like to take this on line too, must admit a preference for 360 pad (alas no stick).

Maturin, I take it you are PS3, with trying a PC stick...

One review mentioned missions being broken up into 'phases' - is this on the 'arcade' mode? I'm hoping to be able to take off, fly and land if I so wish.
  • Maturin 14 Mar 2012 15:02:48 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes I went for ps3. If my stick doesn't work I may just get the Xbox version instead.

Can't answer other questions yet, need to play more.

Itching to get back to it.
  • barchetta 14 Mar 2012 15:05:49 1,325 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Overall, really positive reviews. Either way I'm going for this. Might even get my boys into it too! They love xplane on ipad so this big screen flying is going to open their eyes! Freeflight mode hopefully so they can enjoy some aerobatics. :)
  • Maturin 14 Mar 2012 15:07:34 2,961 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I believe you can do multiplayer freeflight (don't quote me) - which if true will be great fun.
  • StackMonkey 14 Mar 2012 15:10:21 129 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    360 for me.

But It's pretty poor support regarding flight sticks, shame as I have a full CH Products yoke/rudder/pedals set in the spare room, silly MS.

That Hori flight stick looks nice, but it's pricey:eek: don't think I paid that for my old Thrustmaster gear, including rudder pedals.

Stackmonkey

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous