Control Pad Pro. Is it worth it?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Baggies 5 Mar 2012 07:53:46 94 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thinking of getting one. Would appreciate the feedback from people who've tried or have one.
  • MadCaddy13 5 Mar 2012 07:56:28 1,856 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hell yeh it's worth it, makes it so much more comfortable for one thing and which ever games it supports it's better IMO (even resi).
  • THFourteen 5 Mar 2012 08:04:52 32,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nah not really worth it, it makes your console twice the size
  • Trafford 5 Mar 2012 08:09:53 5,620 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It makes the (few) games it's compatible with a lot more playable, so yes.
    It's bulky, but that's not a major issue.
  • roz123 5 Mar 2012 09:09:08 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Depends on what games you are intending on getting. I think the only ones that are compatible so far are
    Resident Evil: Revelations, works well, I use it but its not necessary
    MGS:3D, I would get it for that
    Kid Icarus Uprising, Only useful if you are left handed
    Kingdom Hearts 3D
    Monster Hunter Tri G
    Dynasty warriors VS
    Luigis Mansion 2 is rumoured to work with it

Obviously more games will come out later as well

Edited by roz123 at 09:09:41 05-03-2012
  • Raiko101 5 Mar 2012 09:22:14 6,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd go as far to say its not necessary to enjoy Resident Evil Revelations, or MGS 3D, but it does make the latter a lot easier and quicker to pick up.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• MoGamer2006 5 Mar 2012 14:55:48 975 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'd go as far to say its not necessary to enjoy Resident Evil Revelations, or MGS 3D, but it does make the latter a lot easier and quicker to pick up.
    Completed Resi on Hell mode, didn't feel the need for the CCP once. But then I'm clearly a gaming god. ;)

Based on my experience of the MGS demo, I'd say you need it for that tho'.
  • Hamhock 6 Mar 2012 12:50:22 27 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grab one on the cheap / bundled if you can. Comfortable, well built and does exactly what it says on the tin. If it came in a tin.

AND it's still smaller than a Vita.
  • THFourteen 6 Mar 2012 12:55:08 32,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    doesnt this cost about 10?

define "worth it" in terms of the value of 10 to you, ie if you spend 10 on it, will you be unable to eat for a week, or will you be OK?
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2012 13:06:04 5,620 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It does make controlling the camera a lot more tactile.
  • Raiko101 6 Mar 2012 13:06:18 6,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's worth will be determined by the number of games that support it in the future. If we get any shoot' em ups then it most definitely will be. At the minute, it's really just MGS, which is the reason I bought one.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 6 Mar 2012 13:37:39 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got mine basically for free as it was bundled with RE: Revelations for 29.95. Hopefully more deals like that will appear in the future with other games that use the device.
  • Baggies 6 Mar 2012 18:48:16 94 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where can you get it for 10?

Cheapest I've seen is 15
  • Gaol 17 Mar 2012 01:19:42 2,263 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got this recently and personally find it useless.

-The grip on each stick is different as they are different distances from their respective edges.
    -The console feels weighted all wrong.
    -The 3D sweet spot is easier to lose due to the wider grip magnifying hand movements.
    -The face buttons are in totally the wrong place and it's easy to hit the wrong one.
    -When using controls on the 3DS there is a slight slack introduced as the 3DS moves slightly in it's cradle - feels very cheap

All the reviews said it looked shit but was ergonomically OK. I don't care how it looks but have went back to single stick on Resi as it just feels all wrong.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2012 01:34:10
    I'd say no, if you want to play dual stick type stuff (FPS, TPS) you're buying the wrong console, 95% of games will be made in mind of the standard control set.
  • mal 17 Mar 2012 01:44:50 22,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would love for one of the grip enhancers with the battery to be available in the UK. The circle pad pro would improve my grip of the tiny 3DS, but I don't need another analogue nub, and I'd like better battery life.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 17 March 2012 01:47:42
    FAT HANDS.

tbf I get the same with the Vita, except the only good games are PSP games.
  • mal 17 Mar 2012 02:56:41 22,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a speaker grip for the DS lite that pretty much fits the 3DS, but only when I use it at home, and if I can be bothered. A battery included would make it much more likely for me to use here.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 29 March 2012 11:20:54
    I'll just add the point of view of someone who got it because the 3DS was causing me pain. All of this is obviously very much imo.

I got one of these this week. Think it was about 15 or so from amazon. I have issues with right hand grip just now. A touch of the claw, and nodules on a tendon right near the ulnar nerve mean that gaming, reading and even just writing can be literally a pain. It's getting fixed somewhen ( provided the NHS doesnt collapse between now and whenever somewhen is ) and most of the time it's fine.

However, the 3DS is a bitch for triggering it off. The bottom right corner digs right in and causes me a world of pain, so I've stopped using the thing of late, which is a shame as I'd been really enjoying Resident Evil: Revelations, which just so happens to be compatible with the CCP. So I figured it would be worth a go, if only to soften that corner a bit and make it more comfortable to hold.

When it arrived my first impressions were that it was quite big, and also, how the hell does the 3DS interface with it. There's no port as such to make physical contact. The answer to the latter turns out to be " by magic". You just slot the 3DS in and as long as the single AAA battery is on, you just tap a trigger and Resi Rev detected it.

It controls beautifully with the extra stick too. It was fine without, don't get me wrong, but it absolutely is better with it. The triggers are great, but the top bumpers are odd, in that there's only one on the right and you use the 3DS one on the left, which feels odd, but can be dealt with.

With the 3DS plugged in, it is undoubtedly the ugliest gaming combo in all of christendom. It's nasty looking. The screen is off centre, although this doesn't affect gameplay in any way. The face buttons are in an odd place compared to the slider, but again, still easy to reach. And you know, it's just fugly. It's like my kid sticking a shiny piece of quartz into a lump of clay and going "look daddy, a sculpture".

"Mmmm, yes that's amazing sweet pea".

However. Heretical as this is going to sound. It makes my 3DS even more comfortable to hold than my Vita. I managed hours of Resi Rev yesterday with no cramp. Ergonomically, Ninty have done what was undoubtedly necessary to make the 3DS pain free. Looking at it from the underside it's actually aesthetically pleasing, it's the 3DS that looks bad encased in it. From a visual design point of view it's a failure of a combination. Functionally, for me, it's nearly perfect.

If Ninty follow this path with 3DS v2 then it could well be worth watching out for.

If you feel the need for this thing because you get cramp with the 3DS, or even because you want a more traditional control system with games that support it, then just go for it. I'm extremely glad I bought it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next