• brainbird 26 Sep 2012 14:03:15 2,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forza: check.
    Burnout Paradise: check.
    Racing line: check.
    Beethoven: check.

Thread delivers.

I'm done discussing. Horizon should be in stores now.
  • smoothpete 1 Oct 2012 09:21:56 31,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So.... the expo demo. It was good. Handling is completely unchanged from Forza 4 as people have already pointed out. The thing that threw me was having to think about oncoming traffic - and following the racing line will often mean you're being sent directly into the front of an oncoming car. It's quite jarring after purely track based Forza 4.
  • Pazie 1 Oct 2012 10:45:53 235 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    So.... the expo demo. It was good. Handling is completely unchanged from Forza 4 as people have already pointed out. The thing that threw me was having to think about oncoming traffic - and following the racing line will often mean you're being sent directly into the front of an oncoming car. It's quite jarring after purely track based Forza 4.
    Can you turn the racing line off. I only like the braking line on.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Oct 2012 10:48:23 39,357 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, it seemed to have the same adjustable assists as Forza 4.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• smoothpete 1 Oct 2012 10:58:50 31,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes I only use the braking line in Forza 4. I assume the demo settings were in the "difficulty" menu but I couldn't be arsed to change them (plus there were people waiting to play)
  • NOSAVIOUR 1 Oct 2012 11:11:42 2,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loved this at the Expo. Hardly anyone was playing it. Preferred the demo for this over Most Wanted easily.
  • agparrot 1 Oct 2012 11:24:35 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I messed about with the settings, of the ones I remember it had ABS, Traction control, stability control, racing line, manual/auto gears and 'cosmetic damage on or off' - a setting which meant the only damage options were cosmetic, or none at all. I guess that makes sense in the context of the game.

I left the ABS on and turned everything else off, and it does indeed feel like Forza, although even in the Viper it is a bit more forgiving - shoving the accelerator down on the line in Forza 4 could see you doing an enormous doughnut and spending the next minute trying to get the car facing the right way. Once you were on the move you had to use the same counter-steer stuff after you'd lost traction. Because the focus of the demo was more point-to-point stuff, and I suppose the game will be too, I think they've done a good job of making it feel 'right' versus making it abundantly unplayable by going full-simulation.

It felt really good, and the game looks really nice - all this talk about it being 30fps instead of 60fps might worry some people, but it is really smooth to play and it also looks really nice. It was one of the demos without headphones though (or I was a dope and didn't put them on) so couldn't really tell whether it was going VROOM VROOM or put-put-put.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Oct 2012 11:31:09 14,588 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    how were the AI?
  • Maturin 1 Oct 2012 12:00:42 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great to hear you chaps liked it. Really looking forward to this game arriving. Given I still play FM4 more than anything else I own it should keep me busy until FM5 comes along.
  • agparrot 1 Oct 2012 12:29:22 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    how were the AI?
    They were pretty brutal really - not sure if it was a result of them being unaware of your presence, or whether the game tries to ram into you on purpose.

The rewind feature was present and correct, too - I saw somebody else using it ;) .
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 1 Oct 2012 12:31:00 10,861 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't know WHAT you mean...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 1 Oct 2012 12:35:40 10,861 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really enjoyed the expo demo. Despite driving a car I would never pick IRL, it felt great. Only assist I had on was ABS (and it showed!)

I already have NFS: Most Wanted pre-ordered - the multiplayer demo was fantastic as is the T-shirt I won for being awesome/vicious - but will probably pick this up once the price begins to drop. The arcadish HUD and general rambunctious nature of the AI definitely helped. I didn't put anywhere near enough time into Forza 4 but this could definitely receive some drivetime.
  • agparrot 1 Oct 2012 12:38:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese

I wasn't going to name any names!

I can't remember if there was a difficulty slider for the AI, and I was a bit too busy oohing, aahing and so on to notice whether there was rubber-banding or anything like that.

I came first after a snippy battle on the last set of corners before all the finishing flags. I'm sure better drivers than I, like shambles, would probably have arrived much sooner. The non-racing traffic seemed pretty sparse, but this wasn't a bad thing because you are hooning along at a rate and proper traffic would be no fun at all. It was a bit like Hot Pursuit in terms of density, perhaps a bit lighter.
  • shamblemonkee 1 Oct 2012 12:59:26 14,588 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds llike the AI is similar to FM4 then - there it seemed a bit oblivious to you but in a more poin-to-point street race scenario i expect it would be much less annoying and more in theme with the game style.

It's looking very good as an arcade racer with a decent handling model.
  • Maturin 1 Oct 2012 18:56:41 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lsunch trailer has been released today and it reveals there will be a demo on October 9th.
  • Syrette 1 Oct 2012 19:04:45 44,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Excellent.

Think I'm going to get this and Most Wanted regardless, but I'm debating internally if it's a clever idea to get two 'arcade' racers within a week of each other.

• Deleted user 1 October 2012 19:49:38
    I think I'll get Horizon first and then Most Wanted after Chrimbo.

As I've spunked a load of money on my audio system this month I'll have to grab this at the end of the month.....along with Dishonored, XCom and Halo 4. It'll give me a chance to finish the career on Forza 4 at least for my unlocks.

Silly season is upon us.

Lordy.
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 10:54:34 23,868 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been playing PGR4 whilst I am offline, finishing up the career. It has put me in the mood for racers - and surprisingly, slightly more serious ones. Not that PGR is like Forza, but Horizon seems a bit less nerdy, which is good.
  • evild_edd 8 Oct 2012 11:32:02 3,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo tomorrow! Excited and intrigued!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Mikeeeboy1 8 Oct 2012 11:42:55 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Demo tomorrow! Excited and intrigued!
    Me too i hope it's more fun than forza
  • Pazie 8 Oct 2012 14:57:47 235 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd I didn't know that, thanks for telling. I was wondering only yesterday when the demo will be out.
  • NOSAVIOUR 9 Oct 2012 10:27:08 2,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo can't come soon enough!
  • Maturin 9 Oct 2012 10:56:36 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Downloading the demo now. 1.57GB.

Really looking forward to playing this.
  • octo 9 Oct 2012 11:02:04 979 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will definitely audition this. I haven't bought a racing game in years but for some reason this has my attention. Think it is the late night mario kart sessions on my GBA oddly enough.
  • NOSAVIOUR 9 Oct 2012 12:15:42 2,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Epic demo. Pretty damn big. Highlight racing a mustang against a plane. Can not wait for it.
  • Maturin 9 Oct 2012 12:39:54 3,153 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brilliant demo. Very generous in terms of content as there are three races on offer - one on dirt, one against a plane and one street race which travels over an amazing dam. Even better there's a nice chunk of the map to free roam on whether you do the races or not.

Don't worry about racing line and assists being on when you start the demo - once you are the start of your first proper race you can turn all that guff off. Handling is proper Forza.

Graphics are fantastic. Recognisably Forza but with lots of lovely new touches. Sound is just as good especially new effects such as driving through fallen leaves and the dirt surfaces.

The dirt road race actually reminded me of Rallisport. Challenge, which is no bad thing.

Edited by Maturin at 12:40:58 09-10-2012
  • Dave_McCoy 9 Oct 2012 13:15:07 2,800 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried the demo. I love it. It's Forza but with a great soundtrack and lovely scenery. It feels more like a celebration of cars than Forza 4 was. The Mustang V Mustang race was pure awesomeness.

I needs the full game.
  • agparrot 9 Oct 2012 13:16:00 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't have much of a time to play beyond the introductory duel race, but the demo looks even more lovely on my television than it did at the expo. Being able to hear the sounds also makes a huge difference.

Going to have a proper explore with it later - I am trying to consign this to the bin of games I'm not getting until next year, but the demo threatens to make that really difficult.
  • L_Franko Moderator 9 Oct 2012 13:21:14 9,697 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've already made my mind up that I'll be getting NFS over this. I am only going to buy one of the two so I'm not even going to look at the demo for this just to make things a little easier for myself.
    I will pick it up next year though.
  • agparrot 9 Oct 2012 13:26:30 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Go on Franko, play the demo. It'll be like your own little EG Expo.

It totally won't make you want to buy the game*, don't worry.

Really want to play some more games with Lord_McCoy, too - and Horizon would be an excellent excuse to do that. Keep meaning to do a little bit of Blur.

* may be complete bullshit.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last