Forza Horizon Page 2

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• evild_edd 14 Sep 2012 10:29:43 3,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking forward to the reviews of this.

Not actually owned another Forza title but could well make this my first given that it appears to suit my racing preferences (arcade racers > GT style grinding bores). I like the 'off tarmac' elements and the look of the title as well.

Not seen a huge amount of features/advertising on this. I hope it doesn't slip under the radar come release...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Nitrous 22 Sep 2012 09:41:10 388 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is a copy and paste from forzaplanet.net

Confirmed by Playground Games, there will be a demo of the upcoming Forza Horizon to be released next month in a move that’s described as being absolutely critical in convincing people that Forza hasn’t been ruined. Ralph Fulton, Design Director for Playground Games goes on to say the following:

“They’ll be able to pick it up and go, ‘Okay, I see what they’ve done here’. And equally, the people who are like ‘I didn’t get on with Forza Motorsport for whatever reason, is this for me?’, I think the Xbox Live demo is going to be a great way for them to pick it up and see how this is different.”

Forza Horizon has been the subject of anticipation and confusion alike, and hopefully with the release of the demo it will go a long way into proving it’s worth past how it’s been built up.
  • agparrot 22 Sep 2012 10:15:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it the same demo I'll be playing at the Expo next week, do you think, or a different one?

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what it is like, as a 'fan' of TDU and a begrudging player of TDU2, and a lover of Forza, generally speaking.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2012 10:28:49
    I'm actually really surprised at the lack of buzz for this. Forza 4 feels absolutely brilliant to drive in but the actual game part of it is pretty lacking.

If they manage to marry the Forza handling or give a close approximation of it and marry it with a compelling game experience then it's bound to be great.

It does have some tough competition in the new Criterion Need for Speed though as that is at least a known quantity.

For me at least it's one of my most anticipated games this silly season.
  • agparrot 22 Sep 2012 11:08:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    It does have some tough competition in the new Criterion Need for Speed though as that is at least a known quantity.
    I think for me that this is part of the problem. I'm not going to buy them both, and I'm pretty sure that the Burnout-Paradise-2-ness of NFS: Most Wanted means that all my chums, and therefore me, will probably get that instead.

With a view to picking up Forza Horizon further in the distance.
  • Maturin 22 Sep 2012 11:52:27 2,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am more likely to prefer Horizon to NFS. I enjoy driving the cars in Forza. Any game wrapped around it is a bonus, but for me the great fun is the way the cars handle.

I've never seen the franchise as a grind - that method of gaming is alien to me. A game has to be fun right now, not fun in the future based on some grinding to unlock stuff. If I'm more concerned about unlocking stuff than the current experience, I stop playing.

Probably still get NFS too though - probably on PC as I'm getting a new rig soon.
  • Syrette 22 Sep 2012 11:57:33 43,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A more fun Forza sounds right up my alley.

But then so does NFS: Most Wanted.

Regardless - I think I might get both but I'm less sure about Forza. The Motorsport titles are too car-focused for my liking. I'm nit really into cars, give my fun tracks to race on over amazing car handling etc all day long. On paper this sounds good - a different structure, even a sort of plot to keep me interested.

• evild_edd 22 Sep 2012 12:30:21 3,112 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking forward to the demo.

Have you all seen the making of vid doc on XBL (Game market place > extras > game videos)? Well worth a look as there's lots of stunning in-game footage spliced amongst some talky stuff. All sounds and looks good.

Like AdamAsunder, I'm surprised that there's not been more buzz around this. The game looks great and, personally, looks more attuned to my preferences.

Looking forward to reviews and release :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Blaizefm 22 Sep 2012 12:52:26 232 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is this open world a la TDU? I'm curious about the online elements. TDU was ace at this.
  • Maturin 22 Sep 2012 13:03:43 2,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is open world. But not permanently online like TDU. Dan Greenwalt from Turn 10 said this was a very deliberate choice in the making of vid. Their reasoning is that people zooming past each other at 200mph or just trying to crash into each other aren't a great way of setting up races. So the game will just be multiplayer when you want it to be.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Sep 2012 13:12:47 25,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If this turns out to be Hot Pursuit without the crappy pursuit bits, better cars and some more simulatoryish racing I'll be a very happy boy.
  • Nitrous 22 Sep 2012 14:39:44 388 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @agparrot

No idea but imo I think it'll be the same demo on offer. Be interesting to find out either way.
  • Syrette 22 Sep 2012 14:50:01 43,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When is the demo out exactly?

• Nitrous 22 Sep 2012 21:30:20 388 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Syrette
    No details on the date. I did a google search and it came back with nothing apart from news of a demo.

Edited by Nitrous at 21:30:51 22-09-2012
  • secombe 23 Sep 2012 09:11:40 1,328 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a good play on this yesterday at Silverstone (6 pods set up in the one of the pit garages at the Britcar 24hr), very surprised but happy with the handling, it's definitely 'Forza', the transition to the road appears to reward a smoother driving style more than ever. In fact, it was frustrating a lot of people who I guess expected a NFS/Burnout experience. I've gone from definitely not buying it, to a day one purchaser (although I'm not getting sucked in by all the VIP/LE/DLC crap.)

Driving line is utterly pointless, appears to serve no purpose whatsoever.

It also looked rather lovely, and to my untrained eye although it was running next to Forza 4 I didn't notice the 50% drop in frame rate.

Edited by secombe at 09:14:49 23-09-2012

Edited by secombe at 09:15:02 23-09-2012
  • Syrette 23 Sep 2012 09:34:26 43,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm - can you see it appealing much towards people who want a more 'fun', more accessible Forza?

I mean I've not been expecting Burnout-style Takedowns and NFS police chases (in fact it's better if it's a world away from that, makes more sense to get both Most Wanted and this if that's the case) but I want something more track-focused than car-focused.

• secombe 23 Sep 2012 12:12:55 1,328 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There certainly seems to be more going on for people who want a bit of fun, rather than an all-out 'racing' game, but you would still have the handling model to contend with. I'm assuming you could dial it back a bit, but it rewards proper technique, as it should.

My missus, for example, loves NFS/Burnout and is pretty good at them, but she would hate this and be awful at it, I know that much.
  • Syrette 23 Sep 2012 12:22:41 43,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers. Won't put an order in before the demo then.

• Maturin 23 Sep 2012 16:24:30 2,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hopefully the game will feature some proper rally cars seeing as there's some offroad stuff in the game. Given that the game is going to include point to point events in some ways Horizon could be seen as Forza Rally.
  • Pazie 23 Sep 2012 17:37:12 228 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everything you need to know about Forza Horizon, Customization, Assists, and more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OIBflq1aOs

Edited by Pazie at 17:37:42 23-09-2012
  • Maturin 23 Sep 2012 18:25:11 2,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pazie wrote:
    Everything you need to know about Forza Horizon, Customization, Assists, and more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OIBflq1aOs
    I've seen that before. I Don't get the impression either really knows much for certain. I doubt they've ever played a Forza games with the assists off.

Edited by Maturin at 18:54:58 23-09-2012
  • Deleted user 23 September 2012 20:00:33
    secombe wrote:
    There certainly seems to be more going on for people who want a bit of fun, rather than an all-out 'racing' game, but you would still have the handling model to contend with. I'm assuming you could dial it back a bit, but it rewards proper technique, as it should.

My missus, for example, loves NFS/Burnout and is pretty good at them, but she would hate this and be awful at it, I know that much.
    It comes from a company steeped in collective hardcore development and involves the handling model (or as near as damn it) of Forza's main series so I'm thinking it will be a real racers' game. It just hopefully won't be as po-faced as its stablemate.
  • secombe 23 Sep 2012 22:53:05 1,328 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It felt like Forza, in terms of tone. Still very 'corporate' and dry. A long way off what Codies are doing with the Dirt series in terms of menus and the general feel of the whole package, for example (whether that's a good or bad thing is personal preference, I guess).

Race Pro is still the pinnacle on 360 for me, massively flawed, but you just knew the guys tried to inject every ounce of their passion for motorsport into it.

Edited by secombe at 22:55:10 23-09-2012
  • Nitrous 23 Sep 2012 23:14:48 388 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im hoping it ends up being good and that im going to like it.
    Looking at the pre order slip I have from GAME (the shame?) I paid the £5 deposit on the 25th July for the LCE.

Hope I didnt waste that £5!!!

Edit:

@Maturin Thanks for the video link, hadnt seen that before.

Edited by Nitrous at 23:18:54 23-09-2012

Edited by Nitrous at 23:19:11 23-09-2012
  • helvetica_bold 24 Sep 2012 03:42:13 6 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hot Pursuit is my favorite racing game this gen so Im looking forward to Most Wanted more.
    However, if Forza Horizon has an arcade feel than I might pick it up as well. Can't wait for the demos of both games.
  • RedSparrows 24 Sep 2012 09:06:31 22,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It will be interesting to see how this works out: if online I can race srsly but also have a bit of a tool about with chums, crashing and exploring, then I'll be happy.
  • smoothpete 24 Sep 2012 09:18:06 31,509 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The handling looks way, way more arcadey than Forza 4. Which is fine with me personally but dunno how well received that will be by the community
  • Mattuk123 24 Sep 2012 09:26:36 139 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    this game looks intresting, will i be able to cruise about online with one of my mates in the open world?
  • Maturin 24 Sep 2012 10:17:46 2,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    The handling looks way, way more arcadey than Forza 4. Which is fine with me personally but dunno how well received that will be by the community
    It has the same handling as Forza 4. You're likely watching vids of people with the assists on.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last