Let's privatise the police! Page 24

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Dougs 21 Aug 2012 12:21:48 69,528 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most people don't pay for prescriptions - either elderly, kids or on benefits with first two making up the majority. 75% may even be quite low, can't remember. Or be arsed to google.
  • Rusty_M 21 Aug 2012 12:22:54 4,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always thought prescription charges were a strange thing anyway. I went to the doc with suspected cracked ribs and she told me she would have prescribed ibuprofen, but it would be cheaper to just buy it over the counter.

Very odd principle if you ask me.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• LeoliansBro 21 Aug 2012 12:25:21 44,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like the system is the problem - the Government collects revenue from the hospital based on drugs administered, regardless of whether the hospital charged for those drugs in the first place??

"The money collected by the hospital is paid back centrally.

"However hospitals failing to collect charges still have to pay it back. This means that the hospital would have less money available for other services."

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 21 Aug 2012 13:13:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro That's a particularly barking bit, yes. Something the government is doing a lot all over, cutting funding or taking money which forces us to pay more for things that used to be covered by our taxes.

I'd rather they just put the taxes up, but that would be too honest and cost them votes, so they'll carry on doing it the arsehole way so the blame falls mostly on others.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• LeoliansBro 21 Aug 2012 13:17:16 44,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:

I'd rather they just put the taxes up.
    100% this.

• MetalDog 21 Aug 2012 13:19:51 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    With of course the greatest burden falling on the broadest shoulders, not the narrowest.

• LeoliansBro 21 Aug 2012 13:29:37 44,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wasn't trying to tax the poor there, don't worry :p

• Deleted user 21 August 2012 13:42:26
    "A joint statement from the UHNS and the area's primary care trusts said: "More than three-quarters of patients don't pay for their prescriptions.

"But the legislation changed some years ago to allow A&E departments to charge, except for immediately necessary drugs for serious emergencies."

It's still really unclear what they're charging for. Antibiotics? I thought most people paid something for them anyway but I don't know why they would get them from A&E.
  • MetalDog 21 Aug 2012 15:58:42 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I'm watching you!

Aargh, if I pick up more on that I'll post it

Edited by MetalDog at 15:59:16 21-08-2012

• Bremenacht 21 Aug 2012 18:33:34 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone read the stuff about selling the NHS 'brand' abroad? It's a New Labour idea, but it seems the current government is keen to cash in on the Olympic opening ceremony NHS publicity to generate more cash. To be 'ploughed into new hospitals and services and etczzzzz' of course.

(In the same way that annual increases in train fares always results in 'new trains, improved services and platforms etczzzz'.)
  • MetalDog 23 Aug 2012 12:39:38 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More on the sale of London's Fire Engines. Owned now by a company created just one month ago.

Also, Power and responsibility.

The public have a responsibility too. It is our duty to speak out against the crappy direction we're being taken, not just for our own sakes, but for the sake of future generations. This is really important stuff and we should all have our names on the 'did something' list.

Write to your MPs to express your concerns. You can find out who they are here: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

You can also start digging on who is getting money from whom here: http://www.searchthemoney.com/

• MetalDog 23 Aug 2012 14:42:22 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cuts hit emergency response in riot zones

'Cut won't affect the front line'
    Shock news: Theresa May, Nick Herbert, Blair Gibbs, Tom Winsor turn out to be liars.

• bzzct 23 Aug 2012 16:36:05 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't the fire engine sale just from one privately owned company to another, in which case who cares how much they pay each other?
  • MetalDog 23 Aug 2012 16:51:27 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The guy they've sold them to has a history of insolvencies behind him. The company was set up ONE MONTH before the cheap as chips sale. Dodgy, dodgy, dodgy - and I think we'll all care if there's a major fire and there's any problems with the engines, yes?

• bzzct 23 Aug 2012 18:09:14 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't see how it's in any way comparable to cemeteries being sold off on the cheap. Whether or not the details of the original concession contract ensure proper maintenance of the engines is an entirely separate issue from what price that contract may change hands for in a secondary market.

Edited by bzzct at 18:12:33 23-08-2012
  • MetalDog 27 Aug 2012 17:23:56 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BNP putting candidates forward for PCC posts

bzzct, if you can't see a problem with inside trades, I can't help you.

• bzzct 27 Aug 2012 18:00:26 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not an inside trade...
  • MetalDog 28 Aug 2012 16:12:39 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nothing will be done until something goes wrong.

• MetalDog 28 Aug 2012 17:55:54 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hearing rumours that the Met are looking to lose 7000 experienced officers over the next 18 months. That's 20% of the force, not co-incidental to the 20% cut from government and the fact that they've been told to save 750 million in their budget.

Hold onto your hats, I think we're in for a bumpy ride if this is accurate. What the hell will they replace that manpower with?

In the meantime, government continue to blow millions on PCC elections that nobody but them really wants.

• Bremenacht 28 Aug 2012 21:17:56 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Nothing will be done until something goes wrong.
    Nothing will be done if nothing goes wrong too.

There's a familiar pattern to this, with government offloading yet another public service and then devolving responsibility for what happens next by employing a corporate structure for governance, or this case the PCCs. Are enough people really bothered by this to make a fight worthwhile? You're reliant upon disaster to stop it, because nothing short of disaster will rouse the general public enough to frighten politicians, much like what happened with Railtrack. The police appear to have made an enormous effort for the Olympics and done a great job, but doing a great job simply isn't enough to prevent change.

A good simile (for me) is the farmers and their milk. Everyone thinks the situation is unfair or wrong, yet most people will still go for the cheapest milk even though it saves them just pennies a week.

Not trying to piss on your effort btw - I think it's admirable. I'm just of the opinion that this change will happen, and that it'll then take something like a feeble response to a terrorist attack to convince people the change was a mistake.

Short version pinched from LB's way of explaining things: It's like that line in Batman, 'Why do we fall down?'

Edited by Bremenacht at 21:20:39 28-08-2012
  • Bremenacht 28 Aug 2012 21:24:43 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    What the hell will they replace that manpower with?
    Somewhat unbelievable promises from G4S, most likely.
  • MetalDog 29 Aug 2012 13:50:53 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Number from the Met has crept up to 8000 officers to go - these will be via compulsory retirement as I understand it, so the most experienced officers will be lost.

You may be right, Bremanacht, but doing nothing is completely unpalatable. If all this goes ahead, when the wheel does come off, people are probably going to die.

• jellyhead 29 Aug 2012 13:57:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have to stop reading this thread it depresses the fuck out of me :(

This signature intentionally left blank.

• MetalDog 29 Aug 2012 14:06:43 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get angry instead? I'm fucking livid.

• jellyhead 29 Aug 2012 14:57:51 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, i just need to work out how to manage my flip-flopping between despair and rage in a constructive way.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• MetalDog 29 Aug 2012 15:23:01 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, the usual 'contact MP with concerns' thing
    Find your MP here: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Also: plenty of info and people to ask questions of under the Twitter hashtags #PFTP #PoliceForThePublic #PublicForThePolice

There are people and hashtags for fighting privatisation for NHS, Education, Law, Fire Brigade, etc too, I just don't know them off the top of my head, shout if you want them.

Loads of info and occasional satire here: http://thepolicedebatingdirective.blogspot.co.uk/
    and here:
    http://www.policeoracle.com/forum/

• MetalDog 29 Aug 2012 20:49:35 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Written complaints soar 18.7% at the first NHS Hospital to be privatised.

Edited by MetalDog at 20:49:47 29-08-2012

• Page

of 30 First / Last