Let's privatise the police! Page 3

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• MetalDog 25 May 2012 09:55:24 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am thinking of organising a static demonstration in London to express concerns about the Winsor report, the connection between Winsor and G4S and attempt to raise awareness amongst the general public.

I have no date or exact spot in mind yet, I'm not even sure if any demonstrations are going to be allowed during the olympics(tm), so that will need to be found out and I also have to read and understand the entire report as much as I can so I don't talk bollocks and I have to fill out a form asking for permission to demonstrate, for which they will want an estimate of numbers.

Once I sort all this out, would any of you lot care to join me for any part of it? (if only the part that involves going to the pub afterwards). I could do with at least one other person to hold the fort while I go to the loo and we could take turns getting coffee and snacks to keep us going and generally have a hopefully interesting day of it talking to Joe Public.

Obligatory.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• richarddavies 25 May 2012 11:01:39 2,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sorry for my ignorance but what are you protesting against? I'm not too familiar with the winsor report and who was involved in it.
  • MetalDog 25 May 2012 11:19:29 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My prime concern is the groundwork being laid for further privatisation of police services. Most media attention so far has been focused on the police disgruntlement about the changes to pay and pensions, but it goes way, way beyond that.

The Winsor report has a number of worrying things about it. I could list, but it would be from memory right now and I'd rather be 100% accurate. I'm at work so I don't have as much time to fact-confirm as I would like, but I will post a list and more handy links to the issues when I get home.

In the meantime:
    Unite video on the subject.

• MetalDog 25 May 2012 11:37:01 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can be fairly rabid Madgod. I admire your enthusiasm though, will you be joining me in London for this or just frothing on the internet? ;)

Being a lefty pinko, I've been very free with my criticism of the police over the years when I think they've done wrong and when I think they've been under-investigated for wrongdoings. However, the fundamental principles by which they serve I am fully behind and I believe there are more good coppers than rotten ones.

If we do nothing, I believe we will lose everything good about our police services and for many people, they won't know what they had until it's gone. When things go badly wrong in our lives, the police are there for us - we need to be there for them now.

• Deleted user 25 May 2012 11:53:07
    I think this is worthy of support, These kind of changes shouldn't be rushed through, they're talking about 2013 in some places.
  • MetalDog 25 May 2012 12:02:28 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Everyone could write to their MP about this, or attend their surgery to quiz them about it.

• mcmonkeyplc 25 May 2012 12:02:59 39,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What are you worrying about? Labour will reverse this in their cycle :)

Unless it makes the economy money then they'll carry on with it till we have an outbreak of civil war.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 12:03:20 25-05-2012

Come and get it cumslingers!

• MetalDog 25 May 2012 12:10:25 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, attending the surgery was recommended to me too and I will do so. But for those who can't, or won't, an email/letter is better than nothing.

• Load_2.0 25 May 2012 12:17:30 19,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madgod is probably wanted by the police.
  • MetalDog 25 May 2012 19:45:35 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As promised, some linkification/info.

Good outline of the varied worrying points here.

The first post in this thread on Police Oracle covers a multitude of concerns. Pay particular attention to points 7 onward in regards to G4S.

For those who don't want to follow links and do some reading, here's an inadequately small and simple summary.

1) Tom Winsor is asked by Theresa May to conduct a review of policing
    2) Theresa May holds, or did hold, shares in Prudential
    3) Prudential own a chunk of G4S, formerly known as Group4
    4) G4S are agressively bidding for contracts to privatise various aspects of the police in several counties - you need to follow the 2nd link and sub links to see all those pies.
    5) G4S needed a solicitor to get their takeover pushed through. They used 'White and Case', a firm of solicitors
    6) Tom Winsor is a partner at 'White and Case'
    7) The Winsor report contains a number of 'recommendations' that strongly suggest the police force is going to be severely rearranged in a manner that will facilitate further privatization - particularly of the office of 'constable' - you need to follow the first link to get the rundown on that, but it does look as though they want to use our existing constables to train the G4S private hires before they get rid of them.

And just an additional indicator as to how well they get along with our current masters; G4S is the official provider of security and cash services to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games

Addendum: White and Case were paid for the 'independant' report by Tom Winsor. Fuck me, every time I poke the net fresh shit falls out.

Edited by MetalDog at 21:00:40 25-05-2012

• MetalDog 25 May 2012 20:17:03 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh and also Tom Winsor has thrown his hat into the ring for the post of Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Constabulary.

I strongly believe everyone should be contacting their MPs about the Winsor report.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 May 2012 20:25:28 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Robocop just rang, he wants his plot back.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2012 20:46:56
    Post deleted
  • MetalDog 29 May 2012 10:33:55 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While I'm trying to get my arse into gear, any of you already familiar with 38 degrees may like to be aware that there's a proposal for action here, that could do with more votes.

• TheSaint 29 May 2012 10:38:07 14,368 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if G4S are in charge of security at the Hutton enquiry.
  • LeoliansBro 29 May 2012 11:46:38 44,160 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No dickhead, don't wander off and bump another thread, come back and support your bullshit theories.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 29 May 2012 11:46:54
    Explain why privatisation is inherently bad.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last