FTL - Space Roguelike Page 4

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Dirtbox 16 Sep 2012 14:34:10 77,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds good, I'll look into unlocking it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Bremenacht 16 Sep 2012 15:18:19 17,787 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First game in quite a while where given the choice of forum or game, I've gone with game every time.
  • vijay_UK 16 Sep 2012 15:26:44 2,104 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at some of the scores - do some of you have spaceships locked away in your sheds or something?

Having fun renaming everything I can, and then panicking as soon as the first fire kicks off. I really need some composure here./
  • Lukree 16 Sep 2012 15:37:40 159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How do you unlock more ships? I managed to unlock Engi, but I didn't notice what I did to earn it...
  • Mark1412 16 Sep 2012 15:46:17 521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It tells you how you get a couple in the hanger. Engi's for getting to level 5 or 8, can't remember. Not sure about most of them, though. I've played 10 hours and only unlocked a couple.

• faux_carnation 16 Sep 2012 15:47:09 9,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Engi is level 5.
  • orpheus 16 Sep 2012 15:50:02 1,000 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukree wrote:
    How do you unlock more ships? I managed to unlock Engi, but I didn't notice what I did to earn it...
    Usually by picking up 'quests' and completing them. The Rock Cruiser requires you to face off against some Rock dudes, respond to their taunts with 'I'm doing it or die trying', then follow them into a sun & jump out when they do (don't attack them).

Bingo - rock cruiser. Most of the others have similar requirements, so look out for unusual encounters!
  • Lukree 16 Sep 2012 16:12:00 159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks, gonna try it out! Engi ship certainly manages better than the default one. Got to the boss and got crushed...
  • Puppaz 16 Sep 2012 18:12:14 323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahh, just picked this up. Looks insane, first play through only got a few hundred points. Avoiding easy though.
    Just want to check, there's no way of repairing the hull, is there?
  • Cosquae 16 Sep 2012 18:32:39 1,217 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Puppaz Jumps marked 'store' can repair your hull for a fee (2-3 scrap per unit of damage). Some quest rewards can repair your hull, also there's a hull repair drone (but not used it personally)
  • BlackJedi 16 Sep 2012 19:04:42 387 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The USS Terminal, commanded by Captain Tom Doomed, limped from system to system. Fuel was in short supply; so was scrap. The fuel eventually ran out completely with the Terminal docked at a station that had plentiful supplies, but the ship had no way to pay for them. Captain Doomed triggered the distress beacon, and waited for help. None came.

The Rebels approached, system by system. Panic began to set in. With the Rebels just a system away, Captain Doomed made the fateful decision - he'd sell the Terminal's missile system, and use the proceeds to buy fuel. Tanks once again full, the Terminal blasted off, just ahead of the Rebels.

The next couple of encounters were tricky, with only the Terminal's trusty burst laser for offence. Lieutenant Commander Redshirt and Commander Fodder were killed by enemy fire while repairing critical systems. Captain Doomed and the Terminal escaped by more luck than skill, but fuel was running low again.

The captain, last of the crew, repaired his ship as best he could, and even managed to improve the shields with the scrap he'd collected. Even if the Terminal packed little more than a pop-gun, at least it would be hard to kill.

Two more jumps, and there was no more fuel. The Terminal spotted an Auto-Assault class unmanned enemy ship, and had no choice but to engage in the hope of overcoming the enemy and salvaging some fuel from its wreckage.

Pew-pew-pew! went the Terminal's burst lasers, and the shields dropped on the enemy ship. "Hurrah!" shouted Captain Doomed. Then, before the laser could recharge, the enemy triple shields came back up.

The Terminal's double shields were more than adequate to handle the enemy ship's feeble attack, but those damned triple shields protected it from the Terminal's burst lasers completely. Three good hits and the shields would drop, leaving the enemy completely undefended - a single missile or a solitary laser blast would have been enough to shut down the shield system completely, and the enemy would have been toast. If only he hadn't sold their missile system. He had five missiles taking up space in his hold, and no way of launching them.

Captain Doomed leapt from the pilot's chair and raced to the gunnery console. "Maybe I can speed up the laser fire recharge," he thought, and yes, he could - but not enough. Twenty minutes he sat at the gunnery console, squeezing every last fraction of a second out of the recharge time, but still there was a gap of a couple of seconds after the shields came back up before the Terminal's lasers could fire again.

Doomed slumped in defeat.

There was no way to win. No way to escape. If he could have rammed the damn thing, he would have.

He trudged back to his pilot's chair and stared at the inky blackness of space, lit by the periodic fruitless stab of lasers across the void. He was safe as long as his shields held. The Terminal could maintain those shields indefinitely, and the enemy AI was too dumb to realise it couldn't win.

"I'll be damned if I let them blow me up," he said to himself. "If they want to keep firing their little pop-gun at my ship forever, let them. But I don't intend to be around to watch it."

What to do? He could open the airlocks. But he'd seen explosive decompression, and that was no way to go. No. He'd do it quietly. Disengaging all the fail-safes, he put the environmental systems off-line. With no O2 system working, the atmosphere in the ship would deteriorate. As the air slowly became unbreathable, he sat in his pilot's chair and tried to ignore the alarms.

Captain Doomed breathed his last, and his dead eyes stared out at the implacable enemy that wouldn't even know it had won.
  • MrCarrot 16 Sep 2012 19:25:52 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    The Zoltan ship having a built in shield is pretty nice, recharges on jump only so you need to upgrade your main shield too.
    The Halberd Beam it starts with is pretty sweet, too. Not sure how you'd do the 'dont upgrade the reactor' achievement though, given how limited power is to start with, unless you got really lucky and managed to pick up a lot more Zoltan crew!
  • MikeP 16 Sep 2012 19:59:17 1,816 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First two attempts were pretty disastrous, third run was a lot better, making it to sector 5 and unlocking the Engi ship. Then in a Nebula some effing mantis teleported onboard, I couldn't see them, and I got wasted.

Best fiver I've spent in ages.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Whizzo 16 Sep 2012 21:31:32 43,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:The Halberd Beam it starts with is pretty sweet, too. Not sure how you'd do the 'dont upgrade the reactor' achievement though, given how limited power is to start with, unless you got really lucky and managed to pick up a lot more Zoltan crew!
    Yeah I tried but even on easy it seems pretty unlikely, even with 8 Zoltan crew it'd be quite the accomplishment.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Immaterial 16 Sep 2012 21:59:20 1,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This would be lovely on a tablet. Anyone unlocked the other floor plans yet?
    Best fiver I've spent in a while.

Edited by Immaterial at 22:02:59 16-09-2012

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Dirtbox 16 Sep 2012 22:14:05 77,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I unlocked the Kestrel's alt, The Red-Tail. It looks like this:

Generally much better layout, plus you start with 4 mixed race crew members.

However, you only get 25 power bars, so you spend a lot of time juggling the ratios and powering things off in a tough battle.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:35:40 16-09-2012

• Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 16 Sep 2012 22:31:51 126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I Christen every ship The FML as that's the way I always see the game title now and seems appropriate!
  • MikeP 16 Sep 2012 23:10:27 1,816 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm having terrible trouble dealing with boarders - I've tried evacuating the oxygen, upgrading the doors etc and I'm still getting hammered every time it happens. Any tips?

• Gl3n Moderator 16 Sep 2012 23:27:43 5,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just lost right at the finale with the Engi ship. Gutted!

It's a pretty useful drone-boat that focuses on ion weapons and the anti-ship drones to do hull damage.

3550 points and lewse :/

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Immaterial 16 Sep 2012 23:38:36 1,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    I'm having terrible trouble dealing with boarders - I've tried evacuating the oxygen, upgrading the doors etc and I'm still getting hammered every time it happens. Any tips?
    someone mentioned earlier upgrading your med bay, moving your crew there apart from an engy running round fixing stuff and wait for the boarders to come to you. Hard vacuum helps though (unless they've sent over drones to board you).

Edited by Immaterial at 23:39:11 16-09-2012

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• faux_carnation 16 Sep 2012 23:46:44 9,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    someone mentioned earlier upgrading your med bay, moving your crew there apart from an engy running round fixing stuff and wait for the boarders to come to you. Hard vacuum helps though (unless they've sent over drones to board you).
    I think the boarding parties are a little OP to be honest.
  • Dirtbox 16 Sep 2012 23:57:41 77,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I think they are too. If anything, they should follow the trek way and only allow people to beam on when your shields are down.

• Bremenacht 17 Sep 2012 00:12:27 17,787 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The worst thing for me is having a great ship, loaded with kit, and having a boarding party fuck it up. Worse still is getting into a nebula and not noticing that your O2 has been disabled, scrabbling around everywhere looking for a breach, while most of your crew die off. Then getting boarded next jump. Bah.
  • Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 01:18:57 77,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One useful thing I found was an augment that heals your crew wherever they are on the ship. Usually takes care of problems before they arise. Something else that I've discovered that goes hand in hand with that is decompressing everywhere on the ship that isn't a vital system.

• faux_carnation 17 Sep 2012 01:31:41 9,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm, just obtained the stealth cruiser and the Rock ship, but still haven't beaten the boss.

I'm finding it's really important to get to at least 4 crew early so you can train them up, with at least a couple more for boarders and repairs. Also, it's really annoying that your weapons lose their target when they're disabled, then you have to manually retarget when they're fixed. In the heat of battle I forget to retarget.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Sep 2012 07:45:25 2,045 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I usually try to aim for 6 crew soon as possible, with 4 manning stations an engi for reapirs and hopefully get a mantis from one of the quests to repel boarders. With boarders the engi ship healing thingie helps and if you have a rockaman and mantis attacking them they usually perform well. Still get my ass whipped by the boss though :(
  • Blerk Moderator 17 Sep 2012 08:52:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darn it, reading all that's made me want to go and play some more but I'm back at work now!
  • Deleted user 17 September 2012 09:02:14
    What Blerk said. Fantastic game through and through, really enjoying it. Wishing I'd left my PC on at home so I could play it via remote desktop using my phone
  • Whizzo 17 Sep 2012 09:19:52 43,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got quite a bit further on an no power upgrade run in the Adjudicator (the Zoltan ship) getting long range sensors from a friendly encounter meant I just kept avoiding combat as much as possible. It was working pretty well...

...then I got boarded by Mantis and it was game over soon after. It's quite nice having Zoltan crew, they power up the medbay themselves! :-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• MikeP 17 Sep 2012 09:42:22 1,816 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone else acquired the boarding drone on a playthrough? That thing causes all sorts of bother.

• Page

of 15 First / Last