FTL - Space Roguelike Page 11

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Khanivor 15 Jan 2013 01:14:30 40,735 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those were some helpful links, vijay. Thanks.
  • vijay_UK 17 Jan 2013 20:51:11 2,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Those were some helpful links, vijay. Thanks.
    You're most welcome, Khan.

I fancied a quick go last night on FTL. Started well, 'rebels are after you blah blah', sorted the first lot out quick time.

Next batch came along - and it all went ape shit. 2 out of my 3 crew members blew up in the engine room, & the captain choked to death trying to fix the O2.

I think I actually froze - I had no idea what the heck to do and it all fell apart in about 30secs. Incredible game.

Finished with a score of 86. Perhaps we should start a thread whereby EG's can post their crappy scores, just to see who sucks at PC gaming? :)
  • Bremenacht 17 Jan 2013 23:35:29 18,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ohhh why not.

4537 in the Torus ship on Normal for me.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Mar 2013 17:25:51 6,196 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is an amazing game

I've managed to complete it twice, now, both times thanks to the crew teleporter. I didn't think much of it at first but I managed to get two spare mantis crew members and thought "what the hell" and installed one when I had the chance. Second time I completed the game the exact thing happened, I acquired two spare Mantis crew members.

They really made the Mothership a doddle to beat, the second time round, with the Federation secret ship, I managed to kill the Mothership while taking only three hull damage across all three fights.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• sirtacos 17 May 2013 12:48:42 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking hell this game is bastard hard.

I always die the same way: everything goes swimmingly until a lone enemy ship - outfitted with a special weapon (ion, drone, whatever) - disables my systems before I can destroy their weapons, and then proceeds to soundly beat the shit out of me.

Basically I do great, until suddenly all the cards are stacked against me and there's no way for me to win.

Cunting fucks. My high score is below 2000, and not for lack of trying.

I know dying is par for the course, but that doesn't make it any less infuriating - especially when I've been lovingly customising my ship and upgrading my crew. Grrrr

Edited by sirtacos at 12:50:14 17-05-2013

FUUUUUUUCK

I just escaped a heated battle, surviving by the skin of my teeth, only to have my entire crew die in a fire.

I want to stab things

Edited by sirtacos at 14:33:53 17-05-2013
  • sirtacos 17 May 2013 14:35:36 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck this shit.
  • MatMan562 17 May 2013 16:55:47 2,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @sirtacos There are two things that might help you if you don't already do them. Space bar pauses the action and lets you think carefully about every move, don't be afraid to use it. And don't rush for the exit, the key is to go to as many planets as possible before moving on to the next sector otherwise you wont find enough scrap and/ or extra parts that are almost vital to beating the higher levelled ships.

But then, I've only ever managed ot get to the penultimate sector, so what do I know?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• sirtacos 17 May 2013 17:53:32 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers. I think it's a combination of bad luck and dumb mistakes. I'll get there eventually...
  • Bremenacht 17 May 2013 18:00:55 18,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, use that space bar! If you've got fires or punctures, you have to use it and make sure of what you need to do: doors to close, vacuums to open etc.

One easy thing to forget is that you get bugger-all for winning a fight when the rebels overtake you, so jump at the first opportunity rather than bash your ship up for the sake of a win.
  • sirtacos 17 May 2013 18:17:51 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That must be the problem - I look for fights instead of avoiding them. I only ever escape in dire situations, so my obstinacy + mismanagement = by the time I realise I should leave, my ship is already exploding.
  • Razz 17 May 2013 18:30:41 61,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hate to admit this, but I've never played the game on normal.
    No wait, that's a lie. I played on normal once. Never again. Way too hard for me, Easy all the way! ;p I've only ever beaten it a couple of times too, the final boss is ridiculously overpowered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 17 May 2013 18:31:54 61,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reminds me! I unlocked the stealth ship recently, what a beaut!

Loving the new augments in the recent update too.

• Destria 17 May 2013 21:20:06 2,832 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh? What recent update? New content patch?
  • Razz 17 May 2013 21:32:47 61,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe, I'm getting new augments and weapons that weren't in the game a few months ago

• Dirtbox 17 May 2013 22:43:59 78,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, there hasn't been a content update since launch, all they've done is refine a few features.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• PenguinJim 18 May 2013 03:16:43 5,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I hate to admit this, but I've never played the game on normal.
    No wait, that's a lie. I played on normal once. Never again. Way too hard for me, Easy all the way! ;p I've only ever beaten it a couple of times too, the final boss is ridiculously overpowered.
    Hehe, I've never played on Easy. :p

I love playing with the stealth ship but haven't beaten the game with it yet - it certainly forces you to micromanage every second and time every shot perfectly!

My first victory was with the Engi drone ship - it effectively automates some of your workload, making it easier to concentrate on boarders/fires/etc.

But luck is definitely part of it. I've reached the end boss several times but just not had the opportunity to buy/salvage decent-enough weapons.

"58 hours played" says Steam. $5 well-spent!
  • twelveways 18 May 2013 08:41:14 4,003 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My tactics at the moment comprise of disabling their weapons system first and then their shields and then life support. Ive only been playing for a few hours, am I doing it right? Only got to the 4th sector so far.
  • Metalfish 18 May 2013 08:48:37 8,818 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's no one perfect way of approaching every fight, but you usually want to be taking down the shields/weapons as a matter of course (there are times when you'll want to try and brute-force your way through the shield to get to one of the other systems as soon as possible).

What you target next depends on what sort of setup you're rocking, a lot of people forget that the piloting system is often a good target 'cause it's always manned and means your next volley will be much more likely to hit.
  • sirtacos 18 May 2013 14:28:04 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Managed to get to the final boss. I was well-equipped, lavishly upgraded, and confident in my tactics.

The battle was tense, but I obliterated him in the first round without suffering any hull damage.

But then came the second round. The painful, terrible second round. I was quickly overwhelmed by the flagship's relentless and multi-pronged attacks. Finally my ship exploded.

It all came down to a mistake I had made two sectors before: during a fight with a rebel ship, I got greedy for scrap, so I sent my boarding party to take it over. When I noticed that the enemy ship was about to explode, it was too late. I lost 4 mantis crew members that day. In retrospect, that's what killed me.

Edited by sirtacos at 14:29:18 18-05-2013
  • PenguinJim 18 May 2013 14:55:27 5,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    It all came down to a mistake I had made two sectors before: during a fight with a rebel ship, I got greedy for scrap, so I sent my boarding party to take it over. When I noticed that the enemy ship was about to explode, it was too late. I lost 4 mantis crew members that day. In retrospect, that's what killed me.
    I've done that far too many times.

The first time I got a transporter, I beamed crew aboard an automated scout. Spot the mistake I made.
  • Razz 18 May 2013 15:55:21 61,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    There's no one perfect way of approaching every fight, but you usually want to be taking down the shields/weapons as a matter of course (there are times when you'll want to try and brute-force your way through the shield to get to one of the other systems as soon as possible).

What you target next depends on what sort of setup you're rocking, a lot of people forget that the piloting system is often a good target 'cause it's always manned and means your next volley will be much more likely to hit.
    I agree with you, it depends on the situation. I usually tend to go straight for their weapon systems if they have missiles.

• FightingMongoose 5 Jul 2013 11:15:39 498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played this for the first time last night, really like the concept! Only managed to play for about an hour in which I completed the tutorial and managed to reach sector 2 before being boarded and my crew being horribly murdered.
  • vijay_UK 5 Jul 2013 12:11:56 2,148 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FightingMongoose wrote:
    Played this for the first time last night, really like the concept! Only managed to play for about an hour in which I completed the tutorial and managed to reach sector 2 before being boarded and my crew being horribly murdered.
    I keep choking my crew to death, usually in the O2 room of all places..great game.
  • FightingMongoose 5 Jul 2013 15:12:17 498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    FightingMongoose wrote:
    I keep choking my crew to death, usually in the O2 room of all places..great game.
    THE IRONY. Tis hella fun, I'm terrified of normal and I've not even touched it yet.
  • morriss 5 Jul 2013 16:06:32 70,976 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought this yesterday. Can't wait to get stuck in, though.
  • w00t 5 Jul 2013 16:24:36 11,101 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FINALLY unlocked the second layout for the Slug ship last night.

103 hours of gameplay and counting :)

Even better, I've made 40% of what I spent on it back by selling FTL trading cards over Steam. Bonus.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• TVoJ 5 Jul 2013 17:52:07 1,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought it yesterday for 1.77 and got 3 hours in. Managed to get to sector 5 and unlock the Engi ship. Great idea for a game. Would love an fps stab at this similar to guns of Icarus and a friend told me today someone's doing it with Gary's mod?
  • Tomo 5 Jul 2013 20:19:33 13,910 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had this for ages and just had another go. I got absolutely served, yet again. It was even on Easy and I took the friendly routes! Nrghhh. My only slight niggle with it is that chance really affects things - sometimes you come across weapons and bounty more than you need it, other times you get fuck all :/
  • monkehhh 6 Jul 2013 19:51:27 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TVoJ http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/29/awooga-ftl-boarded-garrys-mod/
  • Page

of 15 First / Last