FTL - Space Roguelike Page 10

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Metalfish 4 Jan 2013 11:39:17 8,785 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cloaking is extremely effective. The triple missile barrage from the final boss becomes a lot less scary if you cloak as it fires.
  • PenguinJim 4 Jan 2013 11:40:43 5,754 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Drone control system is very cost-effective at 80 scrap.

I find the cloaking system to be useful but overpriced, but I do love the completely different style of play when using the cloaking starter ship.

Getting a second shield level will make fights in asteroid belts less costly (and general fights, too, leaving more scrap to spend on upgrades instead of hull repairs), and I usually whack a few points into engines, as well.
  • boo 4 Jan 2013 13:02:36 11,702 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just picked this up and played my first game.
    All good until I got boarded by pirates, at which point I stood by and watched my crew get slaughtered.

What options are there for hand to hand combat? Presumably you can open external doors and suffocate people, but that'll kill your own crew too.

Just Another Lego Blog

• PenguinJim 4 Jan 2013 13:08:25 5,754 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can move your people into the same room as the invaders, and then move your people to the medbay when their health is low. A door upgrade will impede invader movement. You might be able to damage them first with a bit of airlock-suckage before engaging them directly (Z and X open/close all doors). Some species fight better. I recommend against moving your pilot to fight them, as your evasion will drop to 0% without the autopilot upgrade.
  • BeebleB 4 Jan 2013 13:10:53 869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fighting in the med bay is always a good idea too as it heals your health and not theirs making for an easier fight.
    They do tend to destroy all your systems before they get there sometimes so its not always a good idea.
  • Bremenacht 4 Jan 2013 13:17:39 17,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can move people into the medbay & bridge and open all the other doors. Invaders will stop attacking systems and run for the nearest room with O2 and a system to break - the medbay. Upgrading the doors first is the best thing to do though.

Finally finished it on normal last night - again with the Engi ship.

The one thing I really haven't tried is teleporting, but it's almost inevitable that I don't get enough crew whenever I've gone that route.

Think I may have to peek at a guide now to unlock the remaining ships. I've only got the stealth ship, Engi and the one with the green shield so far. I keep buggering up the crystal quest when I've had the chance, and I've had no sight of any other ships.
  • WinterSnowblind 4 Jan 2013 13:19:52 1,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Of all the games I've bought on the holiday sale, this is easily my favourite. It's such a simple idea, but incredibly addictive. Just wish there was an Android/iOS version, but then I'd probably never stop playing it.
  • Bremenacht 4 Jan 2013 13:20:06 17,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One good tip I've read on the start screen is to over-spec your systems i.e. buy extra bars without necessarily powering them. This allows them to absorb extra damage before going red. It also means you can juggle power in different situations - sticking more to engines for evade, or enable more weapon bays, or whatever you want.
  • Bremenacht 4 Jan 2013 13:20:44 17,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    Of all the games I've bought on the holiday sale, this is easily my favourite. It's such a simple idea, but incredibly addictive. Just wish there was an Android/iOS version, but then I'd probably never stop playing it.
    Heh. It's starting to get to 'Plants vs Zombie' levels of replay value for me.
  • PenguinJim 4 Jan 2013 13:24:52 5,754 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

Think I may have to peek at a guide now to unlock the remaining ships. I've only got the stealth ship, Engi and the one with the green shield so far. I keep buggering up the crystal quest when I've had the chance, and I've had no sight of any other ships.
    Now that you've completed the game, there should surely be a giant flying penis in your hangar? I didn't like its artillery at first, but it's grown on me, and all that waiting gives your crew plenty of XP, too. ;)

I've only completed the game twice, first with the Engi ship, and finally again yesterday with the Kestrel. \o/
  • Bremenacht 4 Jan 2013 13:51:04 17,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PenguinJim - I forgot about that one! I got nothing new for a normal completion though.
  • Sharzam 4 Jan 2013 14:16:57 2,678 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is the engi ship considered good? Only just started playing and unlocked it pretty quickly however iam finding a lack of 'proper' weapons a bit of a problem so stick with the kestrel.

Not that ion isn't bloody handy, just not puncy.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• DFawkes 4 Jan 2013 14:51:26 22,580 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It takes a different style of play. I prefer blasting with proper weapons myself, though there is a certain joy to be had for keeping a target stunned and as useful as a rock. Heck, if you keep them stunned for a while early on, you can let your crew level up their skills a bit as you sit there stunning an early ship.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• boo 4 Jan 2013 15:07:34 11,702 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the tips -I'll try again in a bit.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Tomo 4 Jan 2013 16:03:18 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's such a bastard game. Only on my second run through, but I learnt a lot of lessons from my first. Or so I thought.

I had 66% Hull and came into a fight. The ship took a lot of my health away, but I survived. with about 40% left. Anyway, there was a blazing fire on my ship, including my O2 room. I tried opening and closing the doors to starve the fire, but ended up killing my crew. They fixed the oxygen room, but died a few seconds later as it wouldn't ramp up quickly enough.

They probably spent their last moments staring at their handy work, choking to death :(
  • Metalfish 4 Jan 2013 17:38:21 8,785 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The way the final boss breaks shit loads of the rules established in the rest of the game is a shitpuddle of poor design in an otherwise spotless game. Punishing you for using effective tactics like killing all the crew or disabling drone systems is really dumb. I shouldn't have to try not to kill my enemy for fucks sake. If those methods are too powerful, why not just make the boss less bloody susceptible to them? Multiple drone rooms, more bloody crew. Don't turn into a massive cheaty bastard, that's lazy as fuck.

I'd have less of a problem with it if there was any way of knowing these things weren't allowed beforehand.
  • boo 10 Jan 2013 22:23:31 11,702 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably a really dumb question, but...

The startup menu has a continue option, which suggests that you can carry on with a game that was already in progress.

So how the hell do you save your game?

Once you're playing, there's no save option, no menu option...

Or am I missing something really obvious?

Edited by boo at 22:48:24 10-01-2013

Just Another Lego Blog

• DFawkes 10 Jan 2013 22:35:19 22,580 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't there a save (or more likely Save & Quit IIRC) option when you pause with the Escape key? I'm sure there's something there. It's installed on my other machine so I can't check right now.

Edited by DFawkes at 22:37:11 10-01-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• boo 10 Jan 2013 22:48:13 11,702 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/

Cheers Mr Fawkes. I've just been shutting it down - didn't realise there was a menu under Esc!

Doh!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Dave_McCoy 14 Jan 2013 02:36:50 2,770 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up on the weekend sale this afternoon and couldn't stop playing it. Excellent little game, sometimes feels hard but never particularly unfair.

Need sleep now but wish there was an iOS version. My life would be complete.
  • PenguinJim 14 Jan 2013 03:30:36 5,754 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Penis ship victory! \o/
  • Khanivor 14 Jan 2013 04:01:20 40,345 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got this on Friday. Fuck me if it isn't moreish.
  • vijay_UK 14 Jan 2013 17:38:11 2,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I posted this before but the thread is still going strong, so a couple of useful links for the noobs (like me!).

1) How to survive in FTL

http://wordmercenarydotorg.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/ftl-tips/

2) FTL: General Tips & Strategies

http://www.dadsgamingaddiction.com/ftl-general-tips-strategies/

3) Complete Ships Guide

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=779

Edited by vijay_UK at 20:52:01 05-07-2013
  • Razz 14 Jan 2013 18:11:09 60,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Excuse me whilst I go out and shoot myself. I had the bastard flag ship (2nd) down to a couple of bars of health, I launched the final breach missle that would have been the end of it, my ships was in just about the same shape, all systems were down expect weapons, all but one crewman was dead and his drones picked me apart before the breach missle could detonate ;_;

/pours glass of whisky, contemplates life choices

Edited by Razz at 18:11:38 14-01-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• TopDrawer 14 Jan 2013 18:17:46 17 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've only played this on Normal so far, had about 6 playthroughs but Sector 5 is the furthest I've got.

This seem to be going nice and well then either:
    I get boarded and everyone gets slaughtered.
    I totally underestimate an enemy ships combat ability and it cuts me apart.

To hell with it.. I might finally accept to kick it down to normal for a playthrough.

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

• Razz 14 Jan 2013 18:22:14 60,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like how that happens, you know, underestimating an enemy because it happens to the NPCs a lot. It's humbling that it works both ways

• Razz 14 Jan 2013 18:24:03 60,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That reminds me of a question that I wanted to ask, do you guys always take the bribe when your beating someone in combat? Or do you mercilessly slaughter them?

I'm 90% slaughter at the mo, Used to be a bit more idealistic when I started but know I'm even destroying black market traders and slavers for scrap.

• Cosquae 14 Jan 2013 20:32:10 1,204 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I need crew from a slaver then I accept surrender or a bribe.

Bribe tends to get you more ammo/fuel, but less scrap. So it depends what you're short of.
  • Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 00:10:54 17,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    That reminds me of a question that I wanted to ask, do you guys always take the bribe when your beating someone in combat? Or do you mercilessly slaughter them?

I'm 90% slaughter at the mo, Used to be a bit more idealistic when I started but know I'm even destroying black market traders and slavers for scrap.
    Depends if you need the missiles and fuel or not. You don't get a lot of extra scrap early game.
  • TheRealBadabing 15 Jan 2013 00:32:35 1,279 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just beat this again on normal tonight, using the advanced cruiser.

If you get the chance to equip Burst Lasers II, do so with as many as you can find. Burst Is are junk and IIIs are too power hungry, the IIs are a really useful sweet-spot. Glaives are lovely and all but nothing beats 3 x burst IIs going to town on any system you desire.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last