FTL - Space Roguelike Page 9

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 13:58:01 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I beat a couple a few minutes ago, basically sending two blokes to fight then switching them in and out of the medical room to get their health back up.

I cant seem to get far enough to get any decent weapons or the like, i end up wasting all my scrap on the hull and missiles

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PenguinJim 20 Dec 2012 14:07:26 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woohoo, actually beat the boss! Had a lovely run in my Engi ship, with two single-power EMP thingies to complement the triple-power starting weapon. After disabling shields, they were more than enough to keep an enemy's weapons and more disabled while a single attack drone patiently fucked them right up.

By the time I reached the last sector, I had three shields and three attack drones with a couple of special crew meaning I even had power to spare!

Was thinking I'd beat the boss and quit, but I've just unlocked some lovely-sounding new ship...

Very pleased I didn't pussy down to Easy at all. :D It automatically unlocks both campaign completion achievements, too, meaning I'll never have too!
  • INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 14:59:32 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just had a dabble on easy and got quite a bit further, still no decent weapons or extra crew though, mainly doing up the shields. I feel like a 'special needs' playing it on easy though.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PenguinJim 20 Dec 2012 15:03:21 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some "stores" have crew, the occasional quest doles one out as a reward, but in my experience you have to twat a slaver ship until they offer you a slave to leave them alone. :)

Don't forget to use Autofire. And send your two extra crew out IMMEDIATELY to man the shields and weapons (IMO) to speed up their regen/reload.
  • INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 15:47:43 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just got pretty far, had loads of crew, slaver ships and weirdos in caves were throwing them at me, longest run ever, just repaired my ship..

And my fucking laptop overheated and shut down. I could weep.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• JoeBlade 20 Dec 2012 17:34:29 2,492 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey this game is hard. But also fantastic :D

What are the best systems to focus on early game? Engine (evade) + Shields + Weapons?
    And what should I invest in? The relations between sytems, subsystems and power are still a bit hazy to me.
  • INSOMANiAC 22 Dec 2012 14:50:35 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    do the enemies get closer in time spents moving people around etc or is it turn baseD? cant seem to work it out

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• JoeBlade 22 Dec 2012 14:59:40 2,492 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're referring to the rebels: turn based. Each location on the map is one turn, no matter how long it takes to beat.

And in case you haven't experienced it yet the rebels catching up with you doesn't equal game over, things just become very hairy.
    So it's really a choice of risking the consequences of that one extra jump or taking the short route to the exit :)
  • INSOMANiAC 22 Dec 2012 23:49:27 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers

have to say, I cheekily emailed the devs and asked for a steam key as I bought it off GOG and wanted to use the steam cloud save to play it work, and they sent me one!

I'll def be buying their next game now!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RichieTenenbaum 24 Dec 2012 16:18:57 2,181 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been enjoying the 7 or so games I've played of this, but I'm starting to get annoyed by my feeling of lack of progress.

It would be nice if playing a game set you up better for the next time you play. Maybe things levelled up, etc.
  • JoeBlade 24 Dec 2012 16:54:36 2,492 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I've been enjoying the 7 or so games I've played of this, but I'm starting to get annoyed by my feeling of lack of progress.

It would be nice if playing a game set you up better for the next time you play. Maybe things levelled up, etc.
    It does, to some extent, in that you gain new ships and ship layouts. Actual midgame pregression saving would defeat the purpose though, it's a roguelike!

I've found that I usually either get killed within the first or, at most, second sector or manage to go pretty far.
    So don't worry about it, you'll get progress at some point. It's mostly down to random luck.

You do also get a better at the game with practice. Simple though it seems there's actually a surprising tactical depth to it.
  • Razz 24 Dec 2012 16:54:51 60,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    I just got pretty far, had loads of crew, slaver ships and weirdos in caves were throwing them at me, longest run ever, just repaired my ship..

And my fucking laptop overheated and shut down. I could weep.
    :D been there! Mine was a little more retarded though, I went for a wee after a particularly hairy battle, came back and all my crew were dead :( I'd forgotten to turn back on the O2. It was the best run I'd ever had ;_;

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• DanB24 24 Dec 2012 16:58:48 1,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lol I had s a similar one after opening an airlock to put out a number of fires, my crew where safe in the medbay whilst I was doing this of course.
    When the fires had gone out I let them all back out to go to their stations and then couldn't work out why they all started dieing... until I noticed I'd not closed the airlock!

Edited by DanB24 at 16:59:08 24-12-2012
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Dec 2012 17:50:46 2,181 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

It does, to some extent, in that you gain new ships and ship layouts. Actual midgame pregression saving would defeat the purpose though, it's a roguelike!

I've found that I usually either get killed within the first or, at most, second sector or manage to go pretty far.
    So don't worry about it, you'll get progress at some point. It's mostly down to random luck.

You do also get a better at the game with practice. Simple though it seems there's actually a surprising tactical depth to it.
    What does roguelike mean?

I just think it woud be better if each time I played meant a bit more. Like if you got xp (that idea could make thematic sense, too if it were implied you were captaining these ships remotely.) and if you had more xp you started with a better crew.
  • DanB24 24 Dec 2012 18:02:58 1,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike is what it means. :)

Edited by DanB24 at 18:54:34 24-12-2012
  • Dirtbox 24 Dec 2012 18:45:14 77,480 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God that's depressing.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• JoeBlade 24 Dec 2012 19:00:17 2,492 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dirtbox Eh, what? Sure you're replying to the right thread DB? :)
  • Dirtbox 24 Dec 2012 19:08:14 77,480 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Someone saying a roguelike should have this that and the other then asking what a roguelike is? Pretty sure I'm in the right thread.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RichieTenenbaum 25 Dec 2012 01:04:25 2,181 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't care if it's a 'roguelike'. I still think it would be a better GAME if it did some things that I suggested. Now these may not be 'rougelike' things to do, but maybe its better to mess with the formula a bit
  • INSOMANiAC 25 Dec 2012 01:14:20 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yes what you want, is an entirely different game genre!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PenguinJim 25 Dec 2012 08:11:57 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Now these may not be 'rougelike' things to do, but maybe its better to mess with the formula a bit
    I do agree that there's not much red in the game.
  • lucky_jim 25 Dec 2012 08:29:48 5,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it'd be a lot better if it was made in 3D in Unreal Engine, featured a space marine or soldier with arms like tree trunks, and featured a lot more brown. And stuff to crouch behind.
  • ZuluHero 25 Dec 2012 09:24:39 4,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Cheers

have to say, I cheekily emailed the devs and asked for a steam key as I bought it off GOG and wanted to use the steam cloud save to play it work, and they sent me one!

I'll def be buying their next game now!
    That's so great. Always admire people more when they appreciate their fans.
  • TarickStonefire 25 Dec 2012 13:17:44 2,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

I can see why you think this, but it doesn't make sense within the game. The idea is that each time you start again, you're doing so from scratch. There is already a concession to 'XP' in that you can unlock different ship layouts and also earn achievements - have you looked at those yet?

But the notion that you're not progressing is supposed to be dispelled by the fact that every time you start over you try to get further. You should be noticing that you're learning tactics, strategies, which power-ups to keep, which to ditch, when to cut and run, when to stand and fight, and how best to prepare your ship for the final stages, before you get there.

Also, you're meant to die. A lot. This is so that you start over with new lessons learned. And then die again, a different way, so that you start over with yet more new lessons learned.

That's the design of the game :)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 25 Dec 2012 13:20:31 2,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Blimey this game is hard. But also fantastic :D

What are the best systems to focus on early game? Engine (evade) + Shields + Weapons?
    And what should I invest in? The relations between sytems, subsystems and power are still a bit hazy to me.
    The relationships between them? Well, they all draw power... And that's about it! Each system and sub-system does something, that you may or may not want or need depending on your ship, your crew and your strategy. They don't really interconnect with each other, there isn't really a relationship between them, other than they all draw power so you'll need to manage which systems you keep on when power is running low and you're in a fight, or need oxygen, or whatever.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• JoeBlade 25 Dec 2012 15:00:56 2,492 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TarickStonefire Yeah, I've played some more since and I was probably just misled by some of the descriptions. They made it seem as though subsystems were dependent on systems or the other way round but it is apparently not the case.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Jan 2013 11:23:13 3,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

+1

Im really struggling to make any progress with this, even playing on easy!. Soooo difficult to find scrap, level the ship up, buy upgraded kit, keep everyone alive, etc,etc.

Fucking awesome game though. Anyone got any tips for a n00b?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• PenguinJim 4 Jan 2013 11:28:01 5,758 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of your progress is learning from your encounters and your mistakes.

You can have people manning the shields, weapons and engines to improve their effectiveness (and I usually man them in that order).

I switch off power to the medbay except when I'm using it.

You can vent air out of sections on fire to put out the fire, if you have a series of doors between that fire and an airlock. Don't have your people in airless rooms. :p

I usually upgrade my doors once in the second sector. Slows fire spread and slows invaders.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Jan 2013 11:30:33 3,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers.

Didnt think about switching the power from the medbay, every little bit of power helps i guess.

What do you normally prioritise in terms of upgrading the ship and what you buy from stores?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Zizoo 4 Jan 2013 11:34:57 8,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I get to the end pretty much everytime now, but still can't win the final battle. :(

What's the must have upgrades? I haven't tried cloaking yet.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last