FTL - Space Roguelike Page 8

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• w00t 2 Oct 2012 13:38:32 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Managed my second victory last night with the Federation Cruiser.

I had just given up, fire and broken systems all over the place. I leaned back to watch my ship explode... ARTILLERY BEAM VICTORY

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• sanctusmortis 2 Oct 2012 20:28:25 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did it with the Torus. 3 drones (2 anti-ship and 1 beam) and an all-ion ship gun set. Disabled shields and 2 weapons, boarded 2 Mantis crew to take out another gun, let drones wreak havok. Stage 2, ion fire concentrated on drone controller and 2 guns, Mantis crew take out another gunner. Final form, ion blasts for remaining weapons and shields, Mantis kill pilot, drones finish the job.

Now for normal difficulty!
  • faux_carnation 2 Oct 2012 22:43:27 9,054 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, bored of dying on Normal so I switched back down to Easy and then died on the first jump. That's never happened to me before! :D
  • sanctusmortis 3 Oct 2012 07:28:36 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second victory after getting the Crystal ship. It's a sodding complicated layout, but that 4-bay teleport on the second version is very, very useful. Going to keep going for victories though as I want to try winning with them all.
  • sanctusmortis 4 Oct 2012 12:25:33 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a trainer out now, by the way, that's easy to find and not behind a paywall. If you're really, REALLY struggling at the game, go get it, cheat a bit, and get used to some of the systems. Switch the cheats off one by one, until you can finish it for yourself. It's far more satisfying getting through that final stage on your own without cheats, though...

I love the drones in this, too. A ship that can have 3, like IIRC the Torus, can really F people up with good drones. 2 boarders and a hull repair, for instance. Combine with the bombs/ion cannons and you have a good way to deal with anything. Mantis boarding parties are also very, very cool...

Edited by sanctusmortis at 12:30:33 04-10-2012
  • Garfy 4 Oct 2012 20:59:34 671 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what would be awesome, for a sequel go for an elite-alike instead of rogue and call it...

FTL 2: Rebuild the Federation
  • Dirtbox 4 Oct 2012 21:36:47 77,468 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mix this with Space Rangers and you're onto something.

I've more or less stopped playing now, I think I'd got to see all there was to see within a few days, the repetition and lack of variety killed it in no time.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 00:19:29
    Fffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Had an amazing start - ended up with a preignition dohickey after the first sector, then did some proper grinding to bump up the ship. By the time I was at the end I had two 3 shot lasers, a bomb and a fire beam that basically destroyed everything. Got through to the last round of the boss, got him down to a single bar of health...and then died. And then literally a second later, he blew up due to the fires I had started.

Motherfucker.

Incidentally, what do you get if you rescue the Crystal dude and take him to the wormhole? I'd already gone past the Rock Homeworld by that point so couldn't take him home.
  • wysie 11 Oct 2012 02:17:31 82 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jays us, bit of a session, but what a game! Managed three play troughs. First was a bit bland, made it to sector 8, butchered on first pass, secondly through, made it to S7, when was thrust into a pure koybyashi Mari, 3 crew in med bay, no O2, and if they walk out they die. Third pass was better, managed to get to round three of the final boss. No luck but the learning curve is still active.

Thing was was using clint mansell as the soundtrack. No offense to the original composers cos they put together one hell of a soundtrack, but lux aeterna and the moon soundtrack are fairly awesome for the game!
  • Garfy 11 Oct 2012 21:07:13 671 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First victory on normal, phew!

It was an engi run that never felt like it was going to going all the way, but in the end I got lucky with repair stations and dodging on the last boss stage.

If I don't dodge the next barrage I'm dead.
    If I do dodge I win.

Talk about bloody tense!
  • lucky_jim 30 Oct 2012 08:53:04 5,257 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only started playing this yesterday. I didn't stop until it was 2am and I'd given myself backache by not moving for about eight hours.
  • w00t 30 Oct 2012 09:35:29 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Incidentally, what do you get if you rescue the Crystal dude and take him to the wormhole? I'd already gone past the Rock Homeworld by that point so couldn't take him home.
    You unlock the Crystal ship

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Tonka 10 Dec 2012 16:07:42 20,012 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a way to save? I just want to be able to pick uo where I leave off. Can't fin a menu. On Mac

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Bremenacht 10 Dec 2012 16:14:51 17,613 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's there. Save and exit, I think.
  • Rusty_M 10 Dec 2012 16:18:02 4,579 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just started playing this having got it in the Steam Advent Calendar thread. It's a bit tough, ain't it?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Tonka 10 Dec 2012 16:23:28 20,012 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bremenacht Heh I missed the "esc" menu...
    /embarrassed

Edited by Tonka at 16:23:39 10-12-2012

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• ZuluHero 10 Dec 2012 16:24:34 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just got it in the Steam sale. 2 hours played already :/
  • Moot_Point 10 Dec 2012 16:25:36 3,917 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DRM free copy and steam code here. Get it while it's hot! (works out 3.86 for two copies)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• ZuluHero 10 Dec 2012 16:27:03 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dammit - if I had known that! Why-i-outghta....
  • Moot_Point 10 Dec 2012 16:29:09 3,917 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sorry just got the e-mail back confirming it is for two copies. :(

================================================================================

• Bremenacht 10 Dec 2012 16:52:16 17,613 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Just started playing this having got it in the Steam Advent Calendar thread. It's a bit tough, ain't it?
    Try Easy mode. I've still not managed to finish a 'normal' game.

Don't know why this didn't go on my GotY list really, given the time I've spent on it.
  • ZuluHero 10 Dec 2012 18:42:43 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Moot_Point

Heh I'm only kidding. It's a great game, I'm happy getting it for 4 quid :)
  • Moot_Point 10 Dec 2012 18:54:41 3,917 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool. The offer has since expired now. Must have been on whilst the steam sale was on.

• INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 00:28:55 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bought this fucker and just doing the tutorial, but I just wanted to say the music is fucking awful

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PenguinJim 20 Dec 2012 00:54:45 5,757 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like the music. :)

Haven't played on easy yet, but this week has flown by thanks to roughly one million attempts at "Normal". Have made it to the boss twice, and was hugely disappointed the second time when I found out I have to beat him more than once - his third form killed me.

Having enjoyed the more traditional Torus and Engi ship combat styles, I unlocked the stealth ship and have really enjoyed getting to grips with its entirely different playstyle. Even though I'm rubbish with it.

I was halfway through Assassin's Creed 3 and starting Far Cry 3, with Endless Space supposed to be my office game this week, but F.T.L.'s cloud saving and ridiculous challenge/moreishness means that I've done almost nothing else but play this. :mad:

Fingers crossed for a patch that adds a couple more random encounters into the mix.
  • INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 01:33:39 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same here, intended to play far cry 3 all night and now here I am playing a game that looks like it belongs on the Amiga. Addictive.

Im already praying for an ios version and wishing it would run on my ridiculously shit PC at work where I could waste hours on it. Looks like it could run in a browser to be honest.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RichieTenenbaum 20 Dec 2012 07:00:29 2,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bought this last night from GOG. It was all going so well until BOARDING PARTY. Played another two times and BOARDING PATIED to death again :(
  • INSOMANiAC 20 Dec 2012 13:27:31 3,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im shit at it. No idea how to beat them when someone boards you, they just kick the shit out everyone

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Blerk Moderator 20 Dec 2012 13:49:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't forget you can open the doors and suffocate everyone. Obviously it's not a good idea to do this while you're in the room, but if the boarders are beating up your drive room you can run away and vent all the oxygen. :D
  • TheRealBadabing 20 Dec 2012 13:50:36 1,283 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Upgrade your doors then when someone boards you open the ship to space except for the med bay. Move your guys there and the intruders will either die on the way or be easy meat if they make it.

Of course, an unlucky hit on your oxygen system makes the aftermath a bit interesting...
  • Page

of 15 First / Last