FTL - Space Roguelike Page 5

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• SirScratchalot 17 Sep 2012 09:48:39 7,872 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3075 points on normal, didn't realize the rebel flagship moves around so I happily jumped with my damaged cruiser to a repair station only to face the flagship. Also, if you jump away from the flagship, will it retain any damage? Anyone tried?
  • Immaterial 17 Sep 2012 09:54:22 1,320 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Anyone else acquired the boarding drone on a playthrough? That thing causes all sorts of bother.
    Yes, but no bloody drone control, so it just sits in my cargo, passively taunting me.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• onestepfromlost 17 Sep 2012 10:05:24 2,039 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you not need a transporter for the boarding drone?that's why I've not bought one
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Sep 2012 10:07:51 16,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got boarded by 4 Zoltan who made a bee-line for my shield room. To add insult to injury, they also had an ion-bomb teleporting in as well as giant missiles striking my vessel. Broken shield that you can't repair due to boarders and then ion bomb. Can't knock out their stuff because the weapons bay is being blown to shit by missiles. This was Sector 3 on Easy. Most certainly the most overpowered ship I have faced with regard to sector.

Boarding parties are certainly too powerful, you never get a chance to take out their teleporter before they hop over. If you have one then you can wreak that kind of havok upon them. I always look to knock their teleporter out if I almost have the boarders dead as they always zip back home.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Whizzo 17 Sep 2012 10:10:42 43,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    Do you not need a transporter for the boarding drone?that's why I've not bought one
    No, it gets to the enemy ship under its own power.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Zizoo 17 Sep 2012 10:21:31 8,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I need this game.
  • samk 17 Sep 2012 10:35:27 703 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One minor issue I have is it's not really obvious which Planet's you'll be able to jump between later on in the sector to help plan your route.

In one game the Planets in a sector were clustered along the top and bottom with none in the middle. I took the route along the bottom as I had long range scanners etc and could see lots of juicy distress calls. But by the time I got to the bottom-right of the sector I found that the exit Planet was just out of reach. I had to backtrack to the start, through loads of tough enemies. :(

Does anyone know if upgrading the engine have any bearing on the distance you can travel between Planets?
  • Cosquae 17 Sep 2012 10:50:00 1,204 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, the engine doesn't help with jump distance.

I've had the same problem of not being able to get to the exit despite what I thought would be an obvious route. Best option would be to try and get one of those FTL drive augments that lets you jump back to any previously visited planet in one go.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 17 Sep 2012 11:07:46 120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm pretty sure there's either a bit of equipment you can buy, or a scout party you can meet, who'll map the sector out for you.

Can't remember which of the two I encountered yesterday but I'm sure there was at least one option to discover routes through space.
  • Bremenacht 17 Sep 2012 11:15:56 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One -possibly futile- tip is to recognise when you're going to get battered in battle and jump away at the earliest opportunity, rather than attempt to stick it out while your hull gets whittled away. Of course, you'll get boarded at your destination and lose again anyway, but it's worth a try.
  • Bleh 17 Sep 2012 11:18:39 240 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only found out about this game a few days ago when I visisted the forums but this game is awesome. Even when you're fighting for a lost cause it still is brilliant. The best run I had was with the engi ship. Some fights took longer but it helped to level up the crew. At some point the repair went so quick that it wasn't really a problem anymore.
  • Immaterial 17 Sep 2012 11:27:20 1,320 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So Eurogamer, where's the review? Go for 9/10 rather than 8...

• MetalDog 17 Sep 2012 11:29:54 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This game pretty much ate my weekend and will no doubt eat my lunch hour. It's awesome.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• TechnoHippy 17 Sep 2012 11:31:14 14,698 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any word on this being released on other platforms?

Or is there anything similar on iOS?

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 17 Sep 2012 11:37:30 120 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Any word on this being released on other platforms?

Or is there anything similar on iOS?
    I saw something on Twitter from the devs about liking the idea of a tablet version but trying to work out if it's feasible. Hopefully they'll get enough sales to make it worth the effort.
  • MikeP 17 Sep 2012 11:49:05 1,765 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice that it's cross-platform, a Steam Cloud save would be smashing. Fingers crossed.
  • Bremenacht 17 Sep 2012 11:50:15 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh! One definitely good tip for boarders ('cos I just tried it, tee-hee) is to improve your blast doors. They'll get through eventually, but it gives you time to get your crew to the place you want them, and time to open the appropriate doors through to the outside and knock a load of health off them.

Seems too work especially well for boarders in the nebulas (rather than those who teleport in) because they'll be closest to the outside doors. I guess it depends on the ship though - I've only unlocked one since I started playing.
  • vijay_UK 17 Sep 2012 12:49:40 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For those who suck at this game like myself, here are a general few tips that might help:

http://wordmercenary.org/2012/09/14/ftl-tips/

Here's also a Complete Ships Guide and how to unlock:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=779
  • w00t 17 Sep 2012 13:44:55 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone picked up the weird crystal crew member?

Found him in a damaged stasis pod - he told me to go to the Rock homeworlds, which was a little pointless as I was in sector 7 at the time...

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Dirtbox 17 Sep 2012 13:55:44 77,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's an augment that lets you travel to any previously visited place, but I'm not sure if that means being able to go backwards.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• w00t 17 Sep 2012 14:13:04 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, that enhancement only works for the sector you are in (very useful for refuelling when fighting the boss ship).

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Immaterial 17 Sep 2012 14:40:16 1,320 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    For those who suck at this game like myself, here are a general few tips that might help:

If only there was a way to give forum kudos.  Thanks.

• Murbal 17 Sep 2012 14:59:35 21,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:

+1
  • vijay_UK 17 Sep 2012 19:46:41 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:

Glad to be of service.

:)
  • Zizoo 17 Sep 2012 20:28:46 8,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    File size?
  • Cosquae 17 Sep 2012 20:51:09 1,204 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ZizouFC 154mb says steam.
  • DFawkes 17 Sep 2012 21:21:19 22,581 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just wanted to say thank you all for your glowing comments about this, I took the plunge and this game really is all kinds of excellent :)

I have a really bad habit of just hitting the Open All Doors button in a panic though. Glad Star Trek Online doesn't have that one.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• urban 17 Sep 2012 21:47:20 10,923 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This game kicks my arse.
  • Whizzo 17 Sep 2012 21:57:53 43,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:I have a really bad habit of just hitting the Open All Doors button in a panic though. Glad Star Trek Online doesn't have that one.
    I can't be the only captain that's accidentally hit the "Abandon Ship" button in STO... :-O

Damn it was so close to a no upgrade the power on a Zoltan ship run on easy, I picked up a salvage arm in my first battle and within a couple of sectors had 5 Zoltan crew, a human pilot and a Rockman as security, drones, cloak and scrap building up nicely. Instead of jumping to the exit of sector 4 (completing the achievement with one stroke) I decided to take the nearby beacon as the rebel fleet was miles away.

Yeah that went well, boarded by a rockman instantly (not because of a transporter as that won't work with the Zoltan shield up and they didn't have transporters anyway), my puny forces struggled to cope and the ship blew up. Fuck sticks.

Oh and that Rockman didn't come through the airlock as he appeared in the middle of the fucking ship!

One last thing the weapon precharge upgrade is so fucking awesome I don't want to fly without one, being able to shoot as soon as you jump in is lovely.

Edited by Whizzo at 22:02:11 17-09-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bremenacht 17 Sep 2012 22:16:15 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Just wanted to say thank you all for your glowing comments about this, I took the plunge and this game really is all kinds of excellent :)
    Haha! Awesome! See if you can get a few more L4Ders into it!
  • Page

of 15 First / Last