HD on the original Xbox

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • asha 28 Feb 2012 17:02:00 1,991 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm considering picking up an original Xbox for some nostalgia fun and I just wanted to know, I've heard they supported HD resolutions, what will I need to get the console to output to my HDTV at those resolutions? Will I need a NTSC US console for optimal image quality or will a PAL console do?

And also, are all Xbox games capable of outputting at HD resolutions, or only certain ones? And if so, is there a list out there of which ones?

Cheers.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Mr-Brett 28 Feb 2012 17:58:42 12,828 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some games worked through VGA, no idea what res they'd output at but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• itamae 28 Feb 2012 18:07:25 9,887 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A PAL console is fine, you just need to soft-mod it (because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to disable 720p output on PAL consoles through the firmware) and invest in a component cable. Off the top of my head the only HD game I can only think of is Soul Calibur 2, but even there I'm not sure if that's just the US version.
  • mAc6 29 Feb 2012 00:00:12 736 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There are some HD games on XBOX (1), they are in 720p, some even in 1080i. PAL versions work the same as USA version of game: both in HD, code on disc is the same.

With softmod XBOX thinks its from America and will use NTSC system.

Advantage of softmodding (very easy to do btw): all (with some exceptions*) games will now be able to be viewed in glorious progressive mode: 480p instead of louzy 480i(nterlaced), this will give you the most profit of all.

HD in XBOX games is nice, but the hardware cant do it justice like a 360 or PS3 can, so advantage of HD to basic game-engines isnt that big. BUT 480 Progressive everything is really welcome: makes it feel very stable and fast, more depth and very smooth.

Component (HD) cable is also nice to have, because hooking up any console trough SCART or SVIDEO or -yuk- composite is terrible when using flatscreen HD technology. This has to do with scaling. Thats why the progressive part is so important, that way tele doesnt have to do that part of scaling anymore.

Its a nice little project if you go do your own softmodding, dont worry its easy (even i did it, i am a modnoob), lots of walkthroughs on internet, even here on EG!!)
    Just make sure to find a good component cable for XBOX, there are some terrible 3rd party ones that wont give you good results.

Research and enjoy!!

*: There are some exceptions: some SEGA games were tailored for the PAL market, like HALO (Pal version), so code is bit different from USA version and not all of those SEGA games will work in progressive mode or work at all trough component video cables). In that case the USA version of the game will work in HD on your softmodded PAL console.

justlovethoselists
  • D_arkTrooper 29 Feb 2012 10:49:27 1,321 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As already mentioned, a soft modded X-Box is a great little machine. It's also pretty decent as am emulation machine too.

But seriousy, good luck finding a decent component cable. The official ones and the Monster cables are rarer than hens teeth.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Gambit1977 2 Mar 2012 09:18:03 10,195 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I THINK I still have a component cable I bought from Videogamesplus...I'll check when I get home from work.
  • asha 12 Mar 2012 00:41:40 1,991 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mAc6 Thank you for your brilliant reply! I'll definitely follow your advice and softmod an xbox.

Have your tried XBMC with it? I wonder how well it would handle HD video?

I like the idea of using it as a cheap media centre for the bedroom.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• johnson81 13 Mar 2012 22:10:09 383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Back in the day I had a softmodded Xbox. I think that's what made the Xbox one of my favourite consoles. From what I can remember I don't think XBMC played 720p files very well. I used it for normal Divx files as they played fine but HD was a bit too much for the Xbox to handle.

Emulation was awesome on the Xbox and the games I can remember playing a in HD were Dragons Lair 3d and Freedom Fighters (an awesome game).
  • Deleted user 13 March 2012 22:14:06
    that gif cracks me up

:p
  • mAc6 14 Mar 2012 01:29:00 736 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @asha

Well thank you asha for your kind words, have not tried XBMC, havent got any download vids, friend of mine had it enabled when XBOX was still all the rage (7 years ago?), looked very cool, think i read people are still very fond of capabilities of streaming HD video, radio stations etc etc in latest build of XBMC. Without XBMC there wouldnt be the xbox 360 we know today, they showed MS how it could be done.

Again: in EG forum XBOX softmod section you find all the right info you need, i did use it for my modding (woot woot), think i will thank them actually in that tread for making it so easy to read/understand, been on EG just a month after lurking for godknowshowlong (hint: long!!)
  • figgis 14 Mar 2012 09:55:27 7,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought the xbox was fine at 720p streaming from a PC but struggled with anything larger. Been ages since I used mine.
  • coastal 14 Mar 2012 10:24:57 5,384 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On a standard XBox the following HD formats are supported:
    480i/480p/576i/576p output at 480p (Not Scaled).
    480i/480p/576i/576p output at 720p (Upscaled).
    480i/480p/576i/576p output at 1080i (Upscaled).
    The following video resolutions are NOT supported, at any output resolution:
    720p
    1080i

Description_here

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Page

of 1

Previous Next