Etrian Odyssey IV

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • redcrayon 22 Feb 2012 15:36:08 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fficial&biw=1032&bih=981&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsu&tbnid=a7qpbyNuSLSoDM:&imgrefurl=http://kuwaitblogs.tomotiki.com/&docid=5GJarImfsPCGoM&imgurl=http://www.luckygg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/seikaiju44-620x821.jpg&w=620&h=821&ei=3AhFT9CcA4ev0QXw3smWBA&zoom=1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">scan

F.O.E screen on Gaf

screens on siliconera, hot air balloon as transport?

Full story on siliconera

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legend of the Giant God was revealed along with seven jobs. Players can choose swordsman, medic, fortress, rune master, nightseeker, sniper or dancer. Atlus aims to make Etrian Odyssey IV more approachable than previous games with an additional casual difficulty setting. Beginners can choose this while seasoned Etrian Odyssey adventurers can pick normal. The difficulty setting can be changed at anytime during the game so players who want more of a challenge can switch to normal.

Etrain Odyssey IV is slated for release on July 5 and if you reserve the game you’ll get a booklet and a soundtrack CD as a bonus.
    While the visuals aren't looking too good, it seems that F.O.E.s now appear in the dungeon, and the notorious difficulty is scalable at any time. Seeing as Fire Emblem, another series renowned for it's hardcore mechanics, also now has a casual mode, is this indicative of a trend towards dragging niche games into the mainstream?

Edited by redcrayon at 15:38:55 22-02-2012
  • Bremenacht 22 Feb 2012 16:45:00 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/
  • redcrayon 22 Feb 2012 17:10:19 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good man!

What do you think of the class names- I think i preferred the multi-class options of III, 'medic' seems a bit basic in comparison.

Fortress is probably Defender/Hoplite
    Swordsman looks like Landsknect/Gladiator
    Sniper- Survivalist/Arbalist
    Runemaster- mage/Zodiac
    Nightseeker- Dark Hunter (fairly obvious, right?)
    Dancer-Troubadour

Still, I'll miss the Farmer, Monk, Ronin, Bucanneer and Prince/Princess classes.

Perhaps, along with offering difficulty changing on the fly, they thought fewer classes was better to entice new players.
  • santashi 22 Feb 2012 17:16:04 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love the Etrian Odyssey games and seeing the announcement for IV makes me sad (again) that the 3DS isn't region free. I want to play it on normal!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Bremenacht 22 Feb 2012 23:15:25 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    Good man!

What do you think of the class names- I think i preferred the multi-class options of III, 'medic' seems a bit basic in comparison.

Fortress is probably Defender/Hoplite
    Swordsman looks like Landsknect/Gladiator
    Sniper- Survivalist/Arbalist
    Runemaster- mage/Zodiac
    Nightseeker- Dark Hunter (fairly obvious, right?)
    Dancer-Troubadour

Still, I'll miss the Farmer, Monk, Ronin, Bucanneer and Prince/Princess classes.

Perhaps, along with offering difficulty changing on the fly, they thought fewer classes was better to entice new players.
    Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to create a more accessible game. Bad timing though - just as punishing, difficult games start going mainstream. The Farmer and Prince(ss) were such helpful classes, I would have expected them to be retained. Oh well.
  • Bremenacht 22 Feb 2012 23:16:59 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    I love the Etrian Odyssey games and seeing the announcement for IV makes me sad (again) that the 3DS isn't region free. I want to play it on normal!
    That's a bummer. Neither EO2 or EO3 got a Euro release did they? So there may be no way of playing 4 on a Euro 3DS?
  • redcrayon 22 Feb 2012 23:20:00 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I doubt it very much, considering that Devil Survivor Overclocked didnt make it here either. Damn this region lock rubbish, 50% of my DS games were imported.
  • Oceanstar 23 Feb 2012 08:30:45 114 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good god. Famitsu revealed that the game will receive a "Famitsu DX(delux) pack" treatment for its release. These packs are only sold through Enterbrain's commerce site and usually contain additional items with unique artworks. Persona 4 The Golden is getting one.

Ertian's pack will include a Mug, Clear file and a notebook of sorts. All will have illustration by the character and monsters artists for ¥8979.

Edited by Oceanstar at 08:31:11 23-02-2012

NNID: Oceanstar

• redcrayon 23 Feb 2012 11:50:12 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh, shiny.

I love the artbook that came with EOIII.

Perhaps there is a slim hope for us, though- if Nintendo can arrange with Atlus to publish it here. It's got a higher profile than Beyond the Labyrinth did, and if the previous games didn't set the world on fire they at least gained respectable sales considering the genre.

I really don't want to have to import a US 3DS for this, but it'll be the first one to make me consider it.
  • santashi 23 Feb 2012 11:57:41 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    I really don't want to have to import a US 3DS for this, but it'll be the first one to make me consider it.
    If they release games like DS: Overclocked and EOIV in the US then that's totally understandable. I'm enjoying Tales of the Abyss on 3DS but I'd like more RPG goodness for the EU. The EO games are so addictive, too. I have no idea how many hours I've put into them. :p

Edit: I liked the EOIII art book too. I'm an art book sucker in general, but it was extra pretty.

Edited by santashi at 11:58:18 23-02-2012

• redcrayon 23 Feb 2012 12:04:43 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Am slogging through my DS rpg backlog at the moment, although I'd like to fit in my second playthrough of EOIII at some point. It's multiclass team setups make a second playthrough a bit more appealing than the first two, I think, although all three sucked up over 50 hours!
  • santashi 23 Feb 2012 12:09:16 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    Am slogging through my DS rpg backlog at the moment, although I'd like to fit in my second playthrough of EOIII at some point. It's multiclass team setups make a second playthrough a bit more appealing than the first two, I think, although all three sucked up over 50 hours!
    Yeah, I have a fair DS RPG backlog too, although I think I'd rather be playing them on my old DS as I found it a bit more comfortable to hold (probably just me though!). I love EOIII. It seemed like much more of a step forward than II did. The sailing and more in-depth story and side stories were brilliant. I always found it really hard to decide on secondary classes though!

• redcrayon 23 Feb 2012 12:34:11 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's both a good and bad thing, I suppose- in EOI and II, you had to choose the right team, and thus always felt like you were missing out on something, I remember one of the designers being quoted as saying something similar.

In EOIII, you could round out the team, so you never really felt like you were lacking anything- I ended up with

Monk/Farmer
    Gladiator/Hoplite
    Hoplite/Prince
    Princess/Bucaneer
    Arbalist/Princess

Or something similar, which meant that my team felt significantly more powerful than in previous games- the royalty abilties meant that I spent virtually zero MP on healing, so never really had to limp back to the city. You could also have back-ups with the ability to gain XP while they waited in town, just in case.

On the other hand, you didn't ever get stuck in the 5th strata, having had it pointed out by a vicious FOE/boss how woeful your party setup is, with hours of grinding ahead to reset abilties/train replacements.

Still, I love EOIII for the options and the sailing that provides a nice break from the dungeon crawling, it's the best of the series for beginners and veterans alike.
  • BeebleB 23 Feb 2012 19:17:12 985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just stumbled across sceenshots of this....Oooh...totally will get a 3ds just for this game, even if I have to get a us one.
    Would be a bummer if it doesn't get a euro release but as long as it gets a English translation.

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Oceanstar 27 Feb 2012 11:29:58 114 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Official site has opened. It has a mobile version too!

http://sq4.atlusnet.jp/

NNID: Oceanstar

• redcrayon 27 Feb 2012 11:53:06 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had to laugh at this story on andriasang.com

I can see a lot of EO players using the difficulty slider as soon as they run into a squad of F.O.E.s rather than the traditional response of legging it!

It's a good idea though, I much prefer being able the difficulty up-and-down to suit, rather than having to choose between easy/normal/hard at the start when I have no idea what is likely to provide the best experience, and no way of changing it (or inclination to replay) when stuck at hour 55.

The first installment of the development blog is penned by director Daisuke Kaneda, who explains two reasons for the inclusion of casual mode. One reason is to allow the game to be enjoyed by players who may be busy or have not played the series before or those who just want to enjoy the dungeon exploration and map drawing component.

The other reason is that the inclusion of casual mode will allow the staff to increase the difficulty of normal mode without worries.

http://andriasang.com/con03y/etrian_odyssey_site/

Edited by redcrayon at 11:55:45 27-02-2012
  • santashi 27 Feb 2012 12:20:01 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On that note I'm also not sure if I want to see what the FOEs look like. Half the fun/risk is trying to guess if it's one you can tackle or one that will obliterate your party in a single move. :p

• redcrayon 27 Feb 2012 12:36:06 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's always the one that you know is two turns away at the point you get stuck into a random battle that worries me!

In the first game, I once got stuck in a maze where a random battle eventually drew in three FOES, two of which I killed, before having to flee from the third and abandon my hard-won loot. Gits.

but yeah, seeing the new FOES on each floor is always, er, exciting!

Edited by redcrayon at 17:17:25 27-02-2012
  • Bremenacht 27 Feb 2012 16:28:47 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Those bloody Stags. You get jumped by something early in your development, and realise you're on a FOE path. Cue desperate fight to get free before it lands on you.

I don't think it's a good idea allowing a difficulty switch mid-game, or if they do, it shouldn't be possible to stick it back up again. The influence of those FOEs, and not knowing how strong they are is very important to the playing experience. The whole way you play the game becomes governed by caution, careful preparation and planning, in a similar way to that of Demon's Souls. If they allow on-the-fly difficulty changes, it'll mean you no longer need bother preparing.

I can't see them spoiling anything though. Games that reward patience and planning are on the up.
  • redcrayon 27 Feb 2012 17:28:45 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, how about allowing people to switch the difficulty, but have a reward for anyone who doesn't lower it below normal/hard?

Dark Souls is more about skill- you can get through if your experience of fighting that particular enemy is good enough, same as monster hunter, player skill>game difficulty.

Etrian Odyssey is more about team setup- if you bought the wrong skills, or are severely underlevelled, you're in trouble that can't be fixed easily. It's one of my big bugbears about JRPGs, where player skill or even choice of upgrades comes a distant second to the importance of how many hours you spent levelling up by walking around in a circle, waiting for the local fauna to provide xp!

Actually, I hope that the fewer classes mean that they balance the skills more- some of them have been utterly useless compared to points spent in others in the past.
  • roz123 5 Mar 2012 16:59:39 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A small trailer
  • redcrayon 25 May 2012 15:51:35 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Subclasses confirmed, and beastman-ish character class.
  • redcrayon 21 Nov 2012 21:53:41 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From nintendoeverything.com:
    Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan is hitting North America on February 26, 2013. The initial production batch will come will a limited edition art book and music CD.

A sample of the art book can be found here. The book will feature imagery from the game, as well as a brand new piece of art for the North American audience crafted by illustrator Alexandra Douglass.

The “Rough Drafts & Outtakes” CD is made up of early arrangements composed by Yuzo Koshiro along with tracks that did not make it into the final game.

Atlus has also confirmed that Etrian Odyssey IV will be available on the eShop when it launches next year.
    Well, it might mean a slightly higher chance of an EU release due to brand awareness. Still, after the last two games didn't make it over, I'm not holding my breath. Fingers crossed that Ghostlight or Rising Star pick it up.

Edited by redcrayon at 21:54:31 21-11-2012
  • Bremenacht 21 Nov 2012 22:14:25 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are mad not to push this in the EU. Some good promotion and comparison to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls would really push this along.

I dunno if I'd buy a 3DS to get it though. It's really not selling itself to me, so far.
  • santashi 21 Nov 2012 23:01:36 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aw, the thread bump got my hopes up. ;)

• redcrayon 21 Nov 2012 23:13:24 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry dude. :-(
  • santashi 21 Nov 2012 23:54:41 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It shows I still have hopes to get up. :p

And like you say, we do know that RSG and Ghostlight have licenses to publish 3DS games...

• BeebleB 22 Nov 2012 00:33:48 985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd get a us 3ds just for this game to be honest..and its not like I'm even well off. The amount of hours I've pumped into the 1st 3. I just know if there's a English language version and I can't play it it'll make me sad.
    Would be nice if it gets a EUR release but I don't see it :(

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• redcrayon 22 Nov 2012 08:13:21 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm so tempted by a US 3DS but can't justify £200+ for one game, no matter how much I want it. By the time I wait for other US-only releases I'm interested in, EOIV will likely be out of print and selling at silly prices due to the typical Atlus print run.

What to do...
  • BeebleB 22 Nov 2012 08:24:34 985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Luckily I haven't already got a 3ds so I'll just have to import the few games I want so I can tell myself I'm not just doing it for the one game ;)

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous