Fire Emblem: Awakening Page 21

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• redcrayon 1 Aug 2013 11:47:17 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Chilldude
    Personally I prefer RD- the missions are more varied, but it has lots of factions to command at various points. 'Geoffreys Charge', where Geoffrey and Kieran lead half a dozen characters and a dozen NPC Royal Crimean Knights against an enemy castle is one of my favourite missions, and the siege defence mission afterwards is good too. PoR is more traditional in that it follows one group, with one of each class of character to start with, and generally has a more cohesive story as it hasn't suffered from RDs problem of way too many characters in a huge, continent-wide war while being afraid to kill any of them off. Sometimes I like to help the story out a bit there.

/evil grin.

If anyone just got a 3DS and likes FE, there were a shitload of SRPGs on the DS you might like too :-)

Edited by redcrayon at 12:09:33 01-08-2013
  • TenderChicken 2 Aug 2013 09:34:43 686 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on chapter five and loving the game so far.

Does anybody recommend getting any of the (paid) DLC? I've downloaded all the SpotPass content - such a cool feature.

PSN: TenderChicken
    Xbox Live: TenderChicken1

• redcrayon 2 Aug 2013 10:05:44 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm told the one where you get more gold/experience is worth getting to train up newbies.

I'm not so keen on the ones with old heroes in them- only the portraits look familiar, they appear as just standard units for their class, and the one I got (the free Marth) isn't as useful as other units. Not to mention they don't have as many conversation/barracks dialogue etc.
  • Alastair 2 Aug 2013 10:07:42 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    I'm told the one where you get more gold/experience is worth getting to train up newbies.

Be careful with it - it's too easy to grind up all of your units and suddenly find the challenge goes out of the game a little. I speak from experience.
    Grinding for money isn't so bad - it gives you an opportunity to play around with forging weapons. Which is no bad thing imo.

Not as nice as I used to be

• markini6 2 Aug 2013 12:30:27 8 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If not for the grinding DLC I'm not sure I would have bothered with any of the kids after Lucina and Morgan, its main use was to level the mothers to the point where they had galeforce, then pass it on.

Anyone else use my tactic of pairing up two Galeforce users like Sumia and Cordelia on the "Defeat the Commander" missions, then attacking, move, switch, attack with the other, move and then attack again, all in one turn? Very useful on missions with pesky reinforcements.
  • hypoBla5t 2 Aug 2013 13:19:31 1,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished my first playthrough, loved the ending but man those reinforcements were horrendous, tried to push on as much as possible but when there's 50 enemy units flooding the screen it can become a chore to sit through the enemy's turn. Will definitely start another at some point, perhaps not right away though.
  • Alastair 2 Aug 2013 13:27:31 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can skip the enemy turn by pressing Start, I think.

• Mola_Ram 2 Aug 2013 13:52:13 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, you can.
  • Toonster 2 Aug 2013 17:05:34 6,821 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'm on chapter 18 or 19 at the moment? Been marrying more of characters to one another, which is pretty fun. It's amazing the number of combinations there are, and I'll probably replay the game a couple times just to see the different kinds of pairs I can make.

So far I have:
    Chrom x Sumia
    Miriel x Lonqu
    Ricken x Tharja
    Donnel x Cordelia
    Stahl x Sully

Lonqu and Vaike are also pretty beastly together at A status. Same with Nowi and Cherche.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• mal 2 Aug 2013 17:06:34 21,952 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can also turn off battle animations, and even turn off enemy movement animations to speed things up a lot.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ChillDude 5 Aug 2013 16:02:53 34 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @redcrayon Do you have to have played POR in order to play RD though?

Also I'd love some tips on some other DS SRPGs if you have any? I may have missed some in my time that you may mention :)
  • Alastair 5 Aug 2013 16:04:44 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChillDude wrote:
    @redcrayon Do you have to have played POR in order to play RD though?

No, but if you do then I think the Wii can read in your savegame and you get a different starting party. Possibly it's the same group you finish PoR with.

• redcrayon 5 Aug 2013 22:14:49 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ChillDude
    You get some mild stat boosts to the PoR characters in RD if you have a GC memory card with a PoR save in the slot in the top of the Wii. It's really not worth worrying about, but in RD everyone has a lot of respect for the PoR team, which is quite nice if you played through!

Check out the 'DS recommendations 2012' thread in the DS section, you'll find a list of games by genre in the first post :-)

Personally I liked Knights in the Nightmare, but it's complicated and not well explained. Others seem to enjoy Disgaea and FFTA2, and you could always try Valkyrie Profile. At the simpler end of the spectrum, Luminous Arc is a decent entry level SRPG- not as complex as the others and full of anime tropes, but enjoyable enough all the same.
  • Red_Bool 8 Aug 2013 09:23:05 1,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, my troops are seriously overpowered now: I actually played Chapter 19 twice in a row yesterday. And the 2nd time I didn't even bother with a healer! I'm just pairing everyone and can then run on autopilot, which is a big shame :( (unless there's a big difficulty spike to follow?)

I really should have started in Classic/Hard in retrospect, but since I've come so far already (and have more games waiting to be played) I'll finish it on this setting.

Why chapter 19 twice in a row? Well I wanted to see if there was a way that Yen'fay could be persuaded to join, or at least if there was an interaction between him and Say'ri.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2013 09:27:06 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup, you should have gone Hard. It's quite a step up. :-)
  • Red_Bool 14 Aug 2013 22:16:44 1,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished this today. Lovely lovely game with a satisfying end, although near the end it got too easy (as stated above: classic/normal). Nevertheless: great game!
    Took me 39 hours according to the save file, but didn't do all the sidequests (yet). However the 3DS diary app says actual playtime is 55 hours :) The diary is very nice by the way: it shows the games you've played, how many times, for how long, when you first played it and when the last time was you played it. Pretty cool! It seems I've played Fire Emblem 100 times, starting from april until now...

So, next up is monster hunter :D
  • Alastair 19 Aug 2013 07:55:59 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FE has taken a back seat to MH for me...

• Mola_Ram 19 Aug 2013 07:58:06 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have both, but never got into MH.

Started a Lunatic run. Looks like I'm going to need Fred for a little while...
  • Alastair 2 Oct 2013 14:11:42 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I lost my copy of FE when my car was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I've now got another copy and made another start, this time on Hard mode.
    It's definitely harder - I've already lost Miriel and Stahl in Chapter 2!!

Need to think my strategies much more carefully, I feel!!

• Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 14:18:37 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup, it's a big step up.

Chapter 5 was a big hurdle for me. You'll see why. :)
  • redcrayon 2 Oct 2013 14:20:02 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You'll find it harder at the start as everyone is so fragile- by the time they have gained a few hp and defence boosts you'll find it a bit more forgiving!

Also, get in the habit of looking at enemy unit skills- the 'counter' one killed a couple of my characters towards the end of a stage, to the point where I started marking enemy troops with it at the start of a battle and prioritising killing them at range.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 14:25:05 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Best to team everyone up too. Supports are much, much more important on harder difficulties.
  • Alastair 2 Oct 2013 14:32:41 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, I figured that was the way forward. Also need to keep them all bunched together and use woods for protection I think.

• MoGamer2006 6 Oct 2013 16:31:53 969 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YES! Finally finished it!

Took a while for me to 'get' this game... Kept struggling to get past Chapters 5 or 6, even on the easiest settings.

TBH, I was going to give up on it, but I read some tips and gave it another crack on standard difficulty... and it finally clicked. I think the best advice I found was pairing up units (on their own, they don't last long) and how to soft reset the game ;)

So now... where the eff is Advance Wars 3DS, hmm???
  • Kay 14 Oct 2013 12:29:33 17,402 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started this over the weekend (finally), and decided to plump for Hard Classic mode as I'm a bit of an AW veteran and so considered myself fairly adept at strategy games.

However, I soon realised that Hard really doesn't allow you any missteps, and as I can't bear to lose any of my characters at such an early stage there's been a lot of trial and error and resetting of the game. And, although I may be an AW veteran, I've only ever played the first FE game on the GBA years ago (and I never even finished that).

Since I'm still early on (chapter 3), I'm thinking it might be best to restart and make thing easier. So either Normal Classic, or at least Hard without permadeath. Or are there any benefits to soldiering on with Hard Classic? I'm guessing I can always play that later if I really enjoy the first playthrough.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Oct 2013 12:56:27 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a challenge at first, but does get a lot easier. The problem with the difficulties is that Normal is too easy, and Hard is a bit too hard. There's nothing in between.

I would soldier on, but that's just me. Probably go for Hard and Casual, so dying isn't such a huge deal.

Also, don't try to play this like Advance Wars. :)
  • redcrayon 14 Oct 2013 13:08:21 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, it'll get easier- your team just needs to round out a bit and get more hp to cope with the odd critical.

The key for me was checking the skills and weapons of all enemy units before you engage them, are 'marking up' in red (by clicking on them) which are dangerous. In particular, watch for warrior units that aren't openly carrying a bow- they may have one as a secondary weapon and are thus lethal to your Pegasus knights. Also, mage units can be lethal to foot knights, and watch out for the 'counter' skill that let's enemies hit back at melee range, and also the 'pass' skill that lets them move through your lines.

A few seconds noting where the key enemies are and redeploying your troops to get the best match ups works wonders. I hope this doesn't sound too condescending, but are you adware you can redeploy placed troops on the map screen at the start of a battle? It's not often explained but its a key part of it.
  • Alastair 14 Oct 2013 13:28:24 14,953 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kay
    I re-started this a while ago having got a fair way through on Normal Classic and now playing on Hard Classic.
    I have been pairing units together as soon as the map starts which makes them stronger together - note, this is pairing not supporting. They occupy a single space when paired.
    Also, and some may see this as cheating, once the Outrealm Gate opens it's worth getting The Golden Gaffe - it's a dead simple map that nets you a shitload of gold each playthrough. You can then go crazy in the shops and forge weapons for everyone which gives a great boost. (There is also a map that basically guarantees that every unit will level up with each kill, but that makes it too easy.)
    Also, take some time to play the side-quests. You characters will gain experience outside the main story. Plus you can recruit some extra people.

• MrFlay 14 Oct 2013 16:00:41 342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is Radiant Dawn (Wii) worth getting used for 40? That's the cheapest I can find it. I played Awakening on my brother's 3DS and loved it but I don't really want to buy a 3DS. I also loved Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA years ago.
  • vyseofhr 14 Oct 2013 16:19:11 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrFlay

28 at CEX.

You're welcome.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Page

of 30 First / Last