Fire Emblem: Awakening Page 14

• Page

of 32 First / Last

• mal 18 May 2013 22:19:31 22,605 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think I might need to back off doing side quest 2 for a while. Mainly I'm making silly mistakes and losing useful characters, but I hate the way the boss and his dudes rush you once one character comes close enough, and I've only got a couple of characters with enough HP+def+spd to survive a single hit from the boss.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Mola_Ram 22 May 2013 11:01:11 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My god, the inheritance system is just...

Meet Owain the swordmaster. With low res, Owain is no stranger to pain. In fact, he invites it. His first action in a battle is to seek out the nearest mage and take some hits. People think he is crazy, possibly a trait inherited from his father Boris, a tactician stupidly reclassed to a barbarian, then a berserker.

He did inherit something from his father. Two things, in fact: a stupidly high luck stat, and the berserker skill Wrath.

At 50% hp, the beast awakens. He equips Blood, a Killing Edge modified for extra criticals and power. Wrath gives him 20 more criticals, his Luck even more, and Vantage ensures that he will always strike first. His crit rate is over 80%. He pairs with someone to increase his Res, and waits.

What's that, crowd of enemies? Oh, would you like to attack him? I'm sure that will go well.

I'm thinking of reclassing him to barbarian, so he can get Gamble for 10 more crits. It's just not ridiculous enough yet.

EDIT: oh, and he inherited high Mag growth from his mum, so can use a Levin Sword for ranged enemies.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:18:49 22-05-2013
  • f311 30 May 2013 09:45:54 248 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok so I'm having some problems with this game. When I go to buy an item from a store the numbers are just totally confusing and I've no idea what to compare to what :/
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 09:51:33 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Which numbers? The stats for weapons?
  • f311 30 May 2013 09:58:24 248 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, like for example if I want to find a weapon that does more damage what stat should I compare?
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:00:27 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Isn't a more simple concept like the skill required to wield it..
    E < D < C < B < A etc?
    Plus Bronze < Iron < Steel < Silver I think.

I have a feeling the Mt value means something, 'Might' maybe..
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:02:05 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm just about to start chapter 5, and have done the first side quest. Is the bonus character worth using and levelling up?

Enjoying the game very much. I like the support system - it's clearer in action and better explained than in previous games, imo.
  • f311 30 May 2013 10:03:30 248 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh right, so it goes like that does it, that's very helpful ta!

When I go to buy an item legate greyed out I'm presuming that character can't use it but some for example like a bow for someone I know uses bows doesn't make sense, I know total noob questions but I've no idea! :(
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:07:44 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    f311 wrote:
    for example like a bow for someone I know uses bows doesn't make sense, I know total noob questions but I've no idea! :(
    They probably don't have a high enough bow skill to use it.
    Perhaps their bow skill is D and the bow is level C...?
  • f311 30 May 2013 10:09:05 248 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How do you level your weapon efficiency then?

They've probably told me this haven't they?
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 10:09:18 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you look at the page for the person wielding bows, you'll see a letter in the bottom left next to a bow icon.

This letter represents the highest level weapon that the character can currently wield. So if it's E, for example, they can only use Bronze Bows. That letter will increase as they use bows more often, so eventually they can equip steel and silver things.

You can also forge a bronze bow with better stats if you have the money. It's most useful for low level characters.
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:12:11 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    This letter represents the highest level weapon that the character can currently wield. So if it's E, for example, they can only use Bronze Bows. That letter will increase as they use bows more often, so eventually they can equip steel and silver things.
    You can see a little bar across the bottom that indicates how close they are to levelling up a weapon skill.
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 10:13:07 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I'm just about to start chapter 5, and have done the first side quest. Is the bonus character worth using and levelling up?
    Yesyesyesyes. Nurse him and he will become a god of the battlefield. For best results, keep him in the Villager class until level 15, then reclass him into something else.
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 10:13:57 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:14:29 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Yesyesyesyes. Nurse him and he will become a god of the battlefield. For best results, keep him in the Villager class until level 15, then reclass him into something else.
    Oooh, thanks for the tip! :)
  • f311 30 May 2013 10:14:58 248 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh right ok, that helps alot, thanks so much!
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 10:16:11 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Oooh, thanks for the tip! :)
    Oh, and make a nice lance for him so he can actually get some kills early on.
  • Alastair 30 May 2013 10:16:33 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did I hear there's some way to level up characters out of the main story? Similar to arenas in previous games?

Also, I thought I'd got some free DLC, but when I went to look it seemed to want me to pay...?
    I haven't read the manual for either the 3DS or the game - I just charged up the console, then stuck the cart in and got started!
  • Mola_Ram 30 May 2013 10:21:24 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Did I hear there's some way to level up characters out of the main story? Similar to arenas in previous games?

Also, I thought I'd got some free DLC, but when I went to look it seemed to want me to pay...?
    I haven't read the manual for either the 3DS or the game - I just charged up the console, then stuck the cart in and got started!
    Yes, you can grind the absolute shit out of characters with DLC maps and random zombie appearances on the world map. And Streetpass. One of the DLC maps is specifically designed for danger-free xp grinding, and another for money grinding.

I try not to grind too much though. Makes the game way too easy, even on Hard. And the DLC grinding maps really feel like cheating.
  • Alastair 31 May 2013 08:28:09 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, I've got some free maps from Spotpass or whatever it's called. I've added them to the world map but I have no way of getting to them..?? They are all off on distant islands. Do I need to progress further in the story or something (Ch 5 at the mo.)
  • Red_Bool 31 May 2013 08:51:43 1,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess you need to open a path to them somehow, but I haven't given it much thought. I'm at chapter 9 and can't reach them yet.

Thank god the 3DS (non-XL) is a lot easier on the hands that the cramp-tastic GBA-SP :D Playing the original FE and FFTA on that made my ring fingers and pinkies go all numb and tingly within 10 minutes...
  • Alastair 31 May 2013 09:02:59 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, I need to understand a bit more about the e-shop. Is it linked to a Club Nintendo account, or are they separate?
    Do I manage e-shop funds through the 3DS or can I do it through a web browser?
  • gieltjegitaar 31 May 2013 09:46:10 48 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first SpotPass map I downloaded only became accessible very late in the game, just before the final mission I think. Haven't played it yet but I guess that means it's not a very easy map to play.

Your eShop is linked to your Club Nintendo account and you have to manage funds through the eShop menu on 3DS.

Edited by gieltjegitaar at 09:46:45 31-05-2013
  • Garfy 31 May 2013 12:35:43 683 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't forget to link your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS before buying or registering any games through the eshop or they won't count towards the so many games promo

Edited by Garfy at 12:36:04 31-05-2013
  • brokenkey 31 May 2013 14:22:42 7,053 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    Don't forget to link your Club Nintendo account to your 3DS before buying or registering any games through the eshop or they won't count towards the so many games promo
    How do you do this?

never mind, found it here
    https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Edited by brokenkey at 14:29:14 31-05-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Alastair 6 Jun 2013 08:29:59 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's rare for a game to make me laugh out loud, but last night I had the second support conversation between my avatar (Lord Pops) and Maribelle. It's where she talks about trying to use the slang words he taught her.
    Very amusing!! :)
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2013 10:15:59 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, the script in general is very funny.
  • redcrayon 6 Jun 2013 10:19:05 4,558 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Also, I need to understand a bit more about the e-shop. Is it linked to a Club Nintendo account, or are they separate?
    Do I manage e-shop funds through the 3DS or can I do it through a web browser?
    Hey Alastair.

Maps- you need to progress the story and the routes available, as each chapter opens more roads than just the next objective. I have that, they open up later on.

Eshop- it can be linked to club Nintendo but doesn't have to be- you may as well link it, as
    A) you get points
    B) it's another note of record of what you bought in case your console breaks.
    C) registered kit occasionally counts towards promotions that pop up after you buy them, like the current 'so many games' one and the 'free download for registering a 3ds XL' at the start of the year.

If you register everything and don't keep selling/rebuying the system you can end up with a lot of free stuff- I bought at launch and have had 25 free games now, including Mario 3D Land at the start if the year (XL promotion), Luigis Mansion 2 (current promotion), Kid Icarus 3D (promotion last year), plus Zelda 4-swords, excitebike and the ambassador games.

Eshop funds- not sure about browser- I've always added via the 3DS, adding exactly the amount I need each time.

Edited by redcrayon at 10:26:32 06-06-2013
  • Alastair 6 Jun 2013 10:21:19 15,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've sorted out the eShop stuff now.
    I've 'cheated' and downloaded the grinding map pack.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2013 10:24:18 7,437 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I did use that occasionally for low level characters. Once you get past a certain point in the game, it becomes increasingly difficult to get them in battles where they won't get slaughtered.
  • Page

of 32 First / Last