Vote game music into the Classic FM Hall of Fame 2012

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Machetazo 20 Feb 2012 16:41:19 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Destructoid caught wind of a push to improve awareness of the quality, original audio that is composed to accompany videogames. They seek to, for the first time, move a videogame soundtrack on to the list of the Top 300.
    (I learned that the radio station has an hour show running every weekday that plays especially these highly regarded pieces.)

While it's commonplace for Films to be among the listing, it has never happened before for a videogame, and that doesn't need to continue, as there are super pieces of music created to accompany and enhance interactive experiences too.

In order to maximise accumulated votes from their effort, it's requested to place as one selection, Aerith's Theme, by Nobuo Uematsu.

Voting's open now, and closes on the 29th of this month.

The online voting form, located here, and accessible worldwide, allows three selections. There's a handy search functionality to help with filling in the blanks, but it's also possible to manually add any that you rate.

Edited by Machetazo at 16:45:35 20-02-2012
  • Folant 20 Feb 2012 16:53:01 1,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One Winged Angel, Liberi Fatali, You're not Alone!, To Zanakand...

All better candidates than Aeris' Theme, IMO.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• thelzdking 20 Feb 2012 17:05:30 4,413 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a shame we can't get the 'Sega' from the start of the original Sonic the Hedgehog in there.
  • Machetazo 20 Feb 2012 17:11:52 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't disagree about One Winged Angel, and definitely don't about Liberi Fatali, which I liked a great deal, since first hearing it. It's amazing. But, I guess the original poster figured AT a piece most likely to consolidate interest/reawaken existing awareness to hopefully pick up votes.

Edited by Machetazo at 17:12:45 20-02-2012
  • disusedgenius 20 Feb 2012 17:14:59 5,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should be Suicide Mission from ME2, tbh. Something with a bit of gusto. :)
  • Folant 20 Feb 2012 17:24:25 1,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    I don't disagree about One Winged Angel, and definitely don't about Liberi Fatali, which I liked a great deal, since first hearing it. It's amazing. But, I guess the original poster figured AT a piece most likely to consolidate interest/reawaken existing awareness to hopefully pick up votes.

Edited by Machetazo at 17:12:45 20-02-2012
    Don't get me wrong, the main theme is probably best to nominate, one of the most recognisable pieces in the industry. But that's probably a bit too expected, and completely overshadows what else Uematsu has done for the franchise over years gone past.
    Aeris' theme is too, perhaps.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• HiddenAway 9 Apr 2012 22:14:10 15,000 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Number 16

Edit: Skyrim's Dragonborn theme also makes the top 300, placing at 238

Edited by HiddenAway at 22:24:12 09-04-2012

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Mr-Brett 9 Apr 2012 23:31:33 12,897 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad to see Skyrim in there, brilliant soundtrack. Aerith's Theme is ok, if a bit dull, it certainly doesn't deserve the position it got.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 9 April 2012 23:39:32
    It's nice that videogame music is recognised and all, but I can't help but feel the song in itself is a little worthless. It appeared where it did because of a campaign specifically for that song (along with one for Skyrim), rather than the merits of the song in itself - what happens the next time the hall of fame rolls around? Do we select another couple of specific song? Do we assume that this is recognition enough and that videogame music will appear next year by natural voting?
  • JCHilton 10 Apr 2012 00:00:47 1,507 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my favourite game "Scores" from this generation is Deus Ex Human Revolution. I enjoyed the mix of ambient electronica and distorted orchestra; something rather "futuristic" and as far as I'm aware original- in that the earlier games in the Deus Ex series weren't raped.

The Skyrim theme has been around in some shape or form for a while now; it's essentially the Elder Scrolls Theme Revisited, and it's not exactly breaking ground with it's straight focus on Choirs and/or traditional orchestration. i Think there's better game music out there that's worthy of promotion.

My opinion of course.

Edit: I did realise it's for "classical" music. But chose to side step that detail in favour of promoting the quality of music in video games overall. I don't think we should resort to mass voting game music into charts that essentially mean nothing. It's as simple as more focus being given to the music of video-games especially in VG-journalism.

Edited by JCHilton at 00:08:19 10-04-2012
  • threemoh 10 Apr 2012 00:16:00 206 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It's nice that videogame music is recognised and all, but I can't help but feel the song in itself is a little worthless. It appeared where it did because of a campaign specifically for that song (along with one for Skyrim), rather than the merits of the song in itself - what happens the next time the hall of fame rolls around? Do we select another couple of specific song? Do we assume that this is recognition enough and that videogame music will appear next year by natural voting?
    In a way, it depends where Classic FM takes it- if CFM start looking at game music, taking it seriously alongside pieces written for other media (as well as music for music's sake, obv) then there's no reason why game music couldn't work its way into CFM's general rotation and make its way back up next year- although the relative lack of classical-style game music and the limited visibility inherent in being music from a game might mean that being in the 200's might be more realistic.

That being said, it's not like Radio 1 suddenly turned around and started playing loads of Rage Against The Machine...
  • localnotail 10 Apr 2012 00:20:35 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It pushed Barber's Adagio for Strings down to 17th. This makes me sad.

Edited by localnotail at 00:22:47 10-04-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• HiddenAway 10 Apr 2012 07:04:02 15,000 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    threemoh wrote:
    meme wrote:
    In a way, it depends where Classic FM takes it- if CFM start looking at game music, taking it seriously alongside pieces written for other media (as well as music for music's sake, obv) then there's no reason why game music couldn't work its way into CFM's general rotation and make its way back up next year- although the relative lack of classical-style game music and the limited visibility inherent in being music from a game might mean that being in the 200's might be more realistic.
    This does beg the question, how does film music make it into the Hall of Fame? Is it just widely recognised that movies tend to have good classical pieces or is it something the public have to shout about?

If it's the latter, wouldn't it be good to use the same avenue to send CFM some samples of game music to look more closely (like Journey for example)?

• threemoh 10 Apr 2012 13:18:50 206 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    This does beg the question, how does film music make it into the Hall of Fame? Is it just widely recognised that movies tend to have good classical pieces or is it something the public have to shout about?

If it's the latter, wouldn't it be good to use the same avenue to send CFM some samples of game music to look more closely (like Journey for example)?
    I think it's more that film is more widely recognised, so CFL listeners will probably have encountered good, classical film music to vote up naturally, whereas the proportion of CFM listeners that also play games and have happened to played one with original, classical music in it that is also good is likely to be much smaller.

(It helps that film OSTs get proper releases in the west, which isn't really true of game OSTs today, never mind in the days of Final Fantasy VII)

Really, it comes down to why people are voting- to bring up the RATM thing again, that campaign wasn't about how good RATM is, or even how bad that year's X Factor winner was- it was about pissing off Simon Cowell because they wanted to throw a childish tantrum about things they didn't like being more popular than things they did. As such, there was no great resurgence of rock music in the charts.

If people voted for this because it was funny, or because Destructoid told them to or whatever, then we're looking at the same thing. On the other hand, if i t draws Classic FM to the attention of those who would naturally vote game music but otherwise didn't know about the station, then we can expect it to return.

EDIT: Did any games site actually speak to CFM after the results were announced? The blurb on the website references a "campaign", which implies that they're not taking these songs' placing too seriously.

Edited by threemoh at 13:19:56 10-04-2012
  • HiddenAway 10 Apr 2012 14:42:17 15,000 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    threemoh wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:

I think it's more that film is more widely recognised, so CFL listeners will probably have encountered good, classical film music to vote up naturally, whereas the proportion of CFM listeners that also play games and have happened to played one with original, classical music in it that is also good is likely to be much smaller.

(It helps that film OSTs get proper releases in the west, which isn't really true of game OSTs today, never mind in the days of Final Fantasy VII)

EDIT: Did any games site actually speak to CFM after the results were announced? The blurb on the website references a "campaign", which implies that they're not taking these songs' placing too seriously.
    I'd love to see a website speak to CFM about it - but no-one's even reporting the story. I don't think even Destructoid have a story on their website?

• threemoh 10 Apr 2012 15:51:39 206 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    threemoh wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:

I'd love to see a website speak to CFM about it - but no-one's even reporting the story. I don't think even Destructoid have a story on their website?
    A quick Google has uncovered a few articles, but all on fringe websites, mostly those dedicated just to game music, and their article tends to be "Hey, a thing happened!"

Was it this weekend it happened? If it was, I might knock together some questions and stick them on my website.

(I've also just found out they have a "music from films" top 100, too, but that might be an aside)

Edited by threemoh at 16:47:57 10-04-2012
  • RichieTenenbaum 10 Apr 2012 16:07:04 2,228 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think this is a bit pointless and rubbish. This is a poll for listeners of classic FM to choose songs, hijacking it just feels a bit mean spirited. Video games don't need to be involved everything.

And quite frankly, I've never heard a videogame piece of music as good as something by Janacek. They serve two completely different purposes anyway. Often soundtrack music is designed as an accompaniment to a mood or feeling, they're often not designed to be pieces of music in their own right.

I would question the film sound tracks being on there, too.

But then I think Classic FM really doen't appreciate the difference between modern orchestral and classical anyway.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Apr 2012 09:44:12 13,746 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some film soundtracks work really well outside of their context, some don't.
    I'd struggle to think of a game soundtrack that I would rank up their with classical benchmarks of tradition or film really.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 11 April 2012 09:47:08
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I think this is a bit pointless and rubbish. This is a poll for listeners of classic FM to choose songs, hijacking it just feels a bit mean spirited. Video games don't need to be involved everything.
    I agree with this. It's a bit like when Tolkien fans hijack votes for best book ever or something.

If you're a huge classical music fan and you also happen to like video games, and you happen to think Zelda is up there with the best, then by all means vote for it, but otherwise this is churlish.
  • disusedgenius 11 Apr 2012 10:10:27 5,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I'd struggle to think of a game soundtrack that I would rank up their with classical benchmarks of tradition or film really.
    Meh, considering the dross Classic FM plays I'd say there's a fair number who could get into a list. Not necessarily up at the top, obviously, but they could compete.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2012 10:34:14
    Thank you, RT & Kalel! I was going to say something yesterday but was worried I'd come across as being a bit dickish. You've summed the whole thing up perfectly though, and now will commence with being dickish

Music played with a classical orchestra =! good classical music

The best classical "narrative" tracks tell a story with the music alone. How many game soundtracks is that true for? Much like Widge said, film and game soundtracks are created in different circumstances and for different reasons than actual dedicated music. Soundtracks are specifically designed to be used as an accompaniment to something else, not to be listened to in their own right. In the same way as stories are often commented as being good "for a game", ditto music.

People seem far too willing to expose themselves to only the stuff they know they like, meaning they get no perspective from outside their circle of knowledge. Loads of game journos will was lyrical about how amazing a certain game's music is but they're only comparing that to ther games and often their lives are filed with nothign but games - they lose perspective on what others are doing in the field.

Sometimes, every so often, these pieces of game and film music stand out on their own. A *very* small percentage of those pieces could then be construed as being actually "good", as in they'd stand up next to Dvorak or Rimsky-Korsakov.

Like Kal said, if you like games and think that the music stands up in its own right then vote it in, for sure, expose classical fans to videogame music and see if it convinces thm that games are worth a damn.
  • disusedgenius 11 Apr 2012 11:07:15 5,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On the other hand, it's not like Classic FM plays entire suites (from what I've heard, anyway) - just the well known parts. It's not like they're meant to be competing with top-end classical classics here.

Edit: Err... Somehow I managed to miss the words 'Hall of Fame' in the title! :)

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:07:50 11-04-2012
  • Deleted user 11 April 2012 11:11:53
    @disusedgenius :-D

If it were "classical riffs" then there'd absolutely be room for videogame stuff. There are tons of hooks and motifs planted by game musicians that are as catchy as anything ever created, but this is a competition to look for the "best of all time". If people hijack it then it'll be no better than those shitty Ch4 Top 100s where The Simpsons ends up winning the "best kid's programme" category
  • Deleted user 11 April 2012 11:16:07
    I think if you like Classical Music then again, go ahead and vote for game music if you think it should be in there. Fair enough.

Just generally don't like these internet campaigns to hijack votes, especially if the cause is supposedly to be evangelistic. It actually has the opposite effect.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2012 11:21:09 61,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. The 'EA is the worst company in the world' thing is a prime example.

Because gamers spend their lives on the internet, web polls have been pretty much ruined for everyone else.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• RichieTenenbaum 11 Apr 2012 11:29:07 2,228 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    However, the music from Eternal Sonata DOES deserve to be in there. As the game is about and contains a lot of Chopin.
  • disusedgenius 11 Apr 2012 11:41:03 5,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    shitty Ch4 Top 100s where The Simpsons ends up winning the "best kid's programme" category
    :o

You monster!
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 01:42:03
    Skyrim and FF made it into the top 5 this time. But again by campaigning, rather than natural voting. No other videogame scores appear in the top 150, as far as I can tell.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous