Dynasty Warriors Next

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • santashi 20 Feb 2012 11:42:16 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game Info
    Yet another entry in the Dynasty Warriors series, so more hack and slash action in Ancient China. The game has 65 playable characters as well as a character creation mode and makes use of the touch screen, back touch panel and motion sensor.

What modes does it have?
    Campaign (story) mode, Conquest (conquer China) mode, Coalition (Ad Hoc only missions for up to 4 players) mode, Gala (mini games and photos) mode and Edit (edit your characters) mode.

Any online functionality?
    Yes, conquest mode can be played against other people using 3G and wifi, you can involve other people in Campaign mode online, and you can send and receive items.

Official EU website: here

Trailers
    General trailer
    Story trailer

Reviews
    None yet! Embargo.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• ilmaestro 20 Feb 2012 23:43:30 32,534 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Didn't want to buy it on the basis that they might make a "proper" new one for Vita some time not too far off, but it looks like it runs really well and they patched it to allow for more enemies on screen so... maybe. Too many "maybes" in this launch lineup. ^^;

• JayG 25 Feb 2012 13:53:34 869 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The demo was first time I tried any of these games, and it seems utterly insane.
  • santashi 25 Feb 2012 14:05:23 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JayG wrote:
    The demo was first time I tried any of these games, and it seems utterly insane.
    Pretty much. :p

• maxb 1 Mar 2012 21:53:51 165 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tryed the demo and enjoyed it alot more than I was expecting but I was more surprised with how crisp it looked.if I wanted to show off my vita to anyone this is probably one of the 1st games id show.
  • steve1979 4 Mar 2012 20:30:43 2,007 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played the demo of this, it's utterly insane. Not sure how that ten minutes would translate to the full game though. I might get bored by the end of it.
  • TheMightyRose 4 May 2012 16:33:50 174 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Mighty Rose, yes, THE Mighty Rose is currently playing through this at the moment and I am quite impressed by it. Some of the added touch features are rather annoying in my opinion and the forced duels are really starting to grate but other than that it is just like old times only shinier!

I am connected via 3g and after every mission I get challenged to a duel by some other player and between you and me guys I keep getting my butt kicked! In my defence I have only just started playing and the people who are challenging me are all powered up. Just you watch guys when The Mighty Rose has leveled up his character and got all the items he (me!) will kick some serious butt. I would much prefer to fight them as normal though as the duels are very annoying.

Another great feature of the game is the ability to listen to your music whilst playing through the game. Imagine battling through hundreds of soldiers, smashing boxes and listening to terrible dialogue whilst the theme tune from Cheers plays for an idea of the greatness of this feature guys. That is exactly how The Mighty Rose has been playing it.

Mighty rose Objects
  • santashi 4 May 2012 18:01:48 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It is good mindless fun with some added touchscreen frenzy to make you look a bit silly when playing on the train. ;)

Those duels with other players can definitely be quite hard though!

• TheMightyRose 4 May 2012 18:10:14 174 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You got any tips santashi? I always seem to get unstuck when it comes to the enemy hitting me. Is there something I am supposed to do?
  • TheMightyRose 31 May 2012 17:06:35 174 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    All right The Mighty Rose is finally getting to grips with this at last.

So I have been putting some time into this and I fought three people online in duels and wiped the floor with all three of them! Oh yeah!

The best thing about it was all these players were ranked a lot higher than me. I am only at Rank 13 and the people I have walloped were at Ranks 35, 55, and another at 55. I even managed to beat Lu Bu in a duel. It was actually quite easy. In previous games my strategy for beating The Mighty Rose of Dynasty Warriors was to sneak up on him and get in a few sneaky blows and then run for my life as he proceeds to chase me all over the map taking swipes at me whilst I frantically search around for crates carrying meat buns. He always loses interest after a while though and that is when Tim Rose goes back in for another sneak attack. Heh Heh. Seriously he is one tough dude. The fact he can heal himself also does not help. Still I always enjoy taking his prized horse Red Hare. So long sucker!

Seriously though, Dynasty Warriors Next is a must have for anyone that likes hack and slash games. Take my last battle I was playing as a guy who had a buster sword just like in FF7. There is nothing better than smacking people up into the air with a massive sword whilst listening to your own music in the game. The Mighty Rose is still on the main campaign mode and the further the game goes on the more intense the battles. Some of the touch screen encounters are still tricky but being able to use the normal buttons as well as the touch controls (during some sequences not all) makes a world of difference.

Another great thing is if you get stuck on the campaign mode you can save it and exit and start on conquest mode and work to build up the character and then when you think he or she is ready you can go back into campaign mode again and take up where you left off. I am surprised this game has not got more mentions as it really is a terrific addition to the franchise and has a mass of content for people to enjoy.

The Mighty Rose, yes, THE Mighty Rose will return!
  • canazaris 23 Jul 2012 22:49:36 25 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is no-one playing this now?

Just got a Vita and yes I am one of the sad people (in the west) who like it.

Not really any different to any other version you may have seen or played before but superb graphics, very light RPG and RTSness and great for a bit of good clean hack 'n slash fun.

The touch screen aspects are well implemented with smooth gameplay and lots of game options.
  • spamdangled 23 Jul 2012 22:52:27 27,459 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "Not really any different to any other version you may have seen or played before"

This might be why noone is playing it.

I've played a fair few in the series over the years, and it just hasn't changed in any significant way.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• uiruki 23 Jul 2012 22:55:12 3,763 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It came out not long after Warriors Orochi 3 did, which is a far more advanced game, so after 50 hours of that I didn't bother with the Vita one. The embarrassing touch screen shit being horned in didn't help.
  • spamdangled 23 Jul 2012 23:37:17 27,459 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The constant re-use of the same story and setting I think is also part of the problem. It feels more like an endless remake rather than a sequel.

If they transplanted the basic mechanics on to a new world, with each sequel continuing the story instead of retelling it, then it would at least do something to make each game feel fresh. And something to do beyond the endless hack and slash would be nice (why not expand the Empires offshoot so that between battles you have a full-blown strategic metagame of diplomacy, researching technology and fortifying areas, etc).

I love a good hack and slash as much as the next guy, but I just can't play a Dynasty Warriors game for more than half an hour before getting bored and thinking "I've played this before".

I appreciate that over the years they have made refinements to the combat system, but to a casual player (not of games, but of this series), the fundamentals remain the same and so the refinements go largely unnoticed to all but hardcore fans.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• DFawkes 24 Jul 2012 00:33:38 24,052 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I totally, 100% get why people wouldn't like the games and it's hard for me to argue about it because I am very biased, but I do think a lot of the times the accusations made against them are rather lazy and don't come from experience but perception. Not you particularly btw, but definitely in the reviewing press.
    I'm totally with you on this, and it can be frustrating. I don't expect reviewers to enjoy everything I do, but the trotting out a paragraph about the game hasn't changed when it has is really ignorant. For example, DW6 tried something really different (I hated it!), and while most reviews saw that, some said it was just like 5, with is just objectively wrong.

I'm not saying they're all super-different, the core of DW2 through 5 were so similar I could almost forgive it, but when the developers go to the effort of charging core systems to dispel those criticisms, it comes of as strange to call them out for the exact opposite.

Can't speak for Next of course. But, as much as it'd risk getting a biased answer, I'd definitely look to fans of the series to tell me what's different over most reviewers. I wouldn't ask if they liked those changes, just what they are. Sure, I admit there aren't all that many games with totally different gameplay styles, but it's certainly not a case of played one, played them all. Well, not anymore at least ;)

Edited by DFawkes at 00:33:57 24-07-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• PenguinJim 24 Jul 2012 02:32:01 6,010 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next