Analysis of ps2 games on psn.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ratso 16 Feb 2012 11:32:42 1,008 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the release of ps2 games on psn should be analysed to discover if the emulator is running unchanged ps2 roms or not.

If this emulator is running orignal ps2 code , then preventing us from using our ps2 discs seems to be a very cynical move on sony's part.
  • -cerberus- 27 Feb 2012 08:04:47 3,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I agree, DF should get to the bottom of it.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:09:14
    Hmm, I think it's fairly obvious that Sony has a fully working PS2 emulator up and running on the PS3 now. It's quite shit of them to be honest. Look at it this way - The disc versions of PS1 classics which are on the PSN store are guaranteed to work. As an exmaple, Metal Gear Solid is on the store, so if you insert your original PS1 MGS disc it will work just as well without having to re-purchase. Insert the equivelant PS2 disc into your PS3 and...nothing. It doesn't read. Whether the "classics" version is on the store or not.

I'm less cynical about PS1 classics being on the store because we have access to the superior 60hz versions from the US store. We also get added PSP compatibility and eventually Vita compatibility too and there are some real rare gems on there that would cost upto 100+ if we were to purchase the disc versions off eBay.

It's just shitty attitude from Sony IMO. Even if they had an 60-80% functioning PS2 emulator like the original 60gb PS3s did I'd still take it. The prices for some of the classics on the store are ridiculous. Max Payne costs 8 and I literally bought the first two games on disc for my PS2 for under 5. Sony either need to give us an option to just buy the emulator off the store for a one off fixed price, or revise their pricing for individual titles.
  • brn 7 May 2012 17:14:11 232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this would be awesome, too bad my ps3 is from hong kong though, would definitely consider buying a new ps3 for this feature.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:16:15
    I think it's more obvious that they have partial emulation in the form of specific game emulation, like how the X360 does Xbox 1 games, but I'd be hugely surprised if they had a fully working PS2 emulator. It's an argument that's been done to death recently.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:19:02
    brn wrote:
    this would be awesome, too bad my ps3 is from hong kong though, would definitely consider buying a new ps3 for this feature.
    Or just buy a PS2 for 20.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 May 2012 17:20:32 25,304 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My PS3 is fully backwards compatable. You know why? Because I'm a true fan. You waited for a price drop didn't you? Where were you in Sony's hour of need? Rubbing your hands with glee at the thought of saving some coppers you Shylock.

Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. It's time for change. You'll never get an emulator with that kind of attitude.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 17:21:20 07-05-2012

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:22:45
    Sony made a bigger loss on the early hardware sales than the later versions. You're the one destroying the one you love, fuzzy.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:28:03
    @Aargh.

The convenience of having one box that does it all is very appealing to a lot of people. There's less clutter with extra consoles, less sockets taking up plug space, fewer wires and generally it's more convenient. I personally still have a PS2 but that's only because Sony fucked up over backwards compatibility. I'd much rather just have one console from the same manufacturer that "does everything." Even an emulator which only supports certain titles wouldn't go amiss. As long as we had the option to download it and use our own discs, I'd prefer that. I'm not paying a penny for those wallet raping prices on the store.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 17:36:09
    200 or 2 less cables.

Such decisions.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 May 2012 17:37:32 25,304 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Sony made a bigger loss on the early hardware sales than the later versions. You're the one destroying the one you love, fuzzy.
    ENOUGH LOGIC, WIZARD!

• CosmicFuzz 7 May 2012 17:45:14 25,304 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And anyway, they must have lost more after the early price drop compared to before.

• Fake_Blood 7 May 2012 17:53:18 4,385 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /looks at 60gig launch ps3

I think I played Rez on there, and ico and sotc.
    I don't think they have a one size fits all emulator for ps2, it was a complicated machine, pretty sure that some games need some TLC before they work on there.
  • brn 7 May 2012 19:18:27 232 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    My PS3 is fully backwards compatable. You know why? Because I'm a true fan. You waited for a price drop didn't you? Where were you in Sony's hour of need? Rubbing your hands with glee at the thought of saving some coppers you Shylock.
    (not that I think this is directed at me, but still)
    I actually had the 60gb PS3, but then ebay'd it for ~1000 and used that money to buy the (back then) new white japanese model.

So um. Yeah. I win. :D

I also own an original PS2, but the controllers are icky and I'd really like to not having it around.

Edited by brn at 19:19:31 07-05-2012
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 20:15:04
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    /looks at 60gig launch ps3

I think I played Rez on there, and ico and sotc.
    I don't think they have a one size fits all emulator for ps2, it was a complicated machine, pretty sure that some games need some TLC before they work on there.
    Still doesn't explain why you can't play the disc versions of the same games on the store.
  • Flying_Pig 7 May 2012 22:12:35 11,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sfp_noodle wrote:
    Hmm, I think it's fairly obvious that Sony has a fully working PS2 emulator up and running on the PS3 now. It's quite shit of them to be honest. Look at it this way - The disc versions of PS1 classics which are on the PSN store are guaranteed to work. As an exmaple, Metal Gear Solid is on the store, so if you insert your original PS1 MGS disc it will work just as well without having to re-purchase. Insert the equivelant PS2 disc into your PS3 and...nothing. It doesn't read. Whether the "classics" version is on the store or not.
    PS3 has full PSOne b/c anyway...

I don't think they have full software emulation - the PS2 was a tricky piece of kit and many developers used all sorts of methods to get performance out of it. I think what they've got on the store has probably only needed very minor tweaks to get running - the reason why we've only really had minor titles on PSN. I hope they're making progress on this (would luuuurve PS2 emulation on the Vita!), but when I did have a 60gb b/c PS3 I only played BG&E and Psychonauts on it...
  • Deleted user 7 May 2012 23:35:32
    ^^^

No, that's incorrect, the PS3 DOES NOT have full PS1 backwards compatibility. There was actually a story here on EG where Sony explained that emulating a title for PS3 and PSP is quite difficult.

Link to story here

Granted, the number of compatible titles is a lot higher than the PS2 ones, but it still isn't anywhere near close to 100%.

In fact, I actually got negged to death in that same story for saying the exact same thing you just have! :lol:

Edited by sfp_noodle at 23:38:53 07-05-2012
  • Psiloc 9 May 2012 14:41:16 1,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +1 to the OP, but I have no idea how DF could conclusively prove anything without a dev kit.

I used to have a 60GB and I notice that on my new slim the PS2 classics seem to share some emulation curiosities, i.e. the way the console appears to reboot into a different OS when you fire up a PS2 game. It also disconnects your controller and your network connection exactly like the 60GB did with a real PS2 disc, and these things convince me the PSN downloads ARE a PS2 ISO running in software emulation.

BUT, before you jump to the uncomfortable conclusion, some facts need to be restated. Remember that the 60GB console emulated the PS2's processor but needed the actual PS2 graphics chip, the GS, to handle the massive fill rate of the PS2? When the GS was removed from subsequent PS3 revisions this meant no more PS2 emulation for the simple reason that a lower fill rate chip can't just 'emulate' a higher fill rate chip. It's not possible.

With this in mind my feeling is that yes, the PSN downloads ARE just PS2 ISOs that are being emulated, but the source code of these games has been modified so the games don't make use of the original hardware's huge fill rate. In other words, the games have been changed specifically so they can be offered for download on the PS3, and this is why there is a valid reason why you still can't just pop your PS2 discs in, even a game that is offered on the store.

Still, they could probably offer patches for the disc versions once the PS3 version arrives on the store, but like Sony I fail to see any financial incentive for doing that, assuming it's even possible.
  • Esppiral 12 May 2014 18:28:56 76 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know this post is ancient, but...

the PSN downloads ARE just PS2 ISOs that are being emulated, but the source code of these games has been modified so the games don't make use of the original hardware's huge fill rate. In other words, the games have been changed specifically so they can be offered for download on the PS3, and this is why there is a valid reason why you still can't just pop your PS2 discs in, even a game that is offered on the store.

The ps2 games that runs on Ps3 as "PS2 Classics" aren't in any way modified, they are simple plain isos from the original discs working on the emulator.

Some games run absolutely fantastic, Project Zero III, Kingdom Hearts series etc, others run like shit Jak and Daxter, Tekken Tag Tournament with terrible framerates

Since the security of the console got broken, people have been able to put their original ps2 discs on the ps3 ( even if it isn't backwards compatible, mine is a slim model) make and iso and launch it, the compatibility is unbelievable good, little to none graphical glitches in most games and great speed.

Even de PSP remasters are PSP isos running on an emulator.

Shame Sony for limiting the hability to play your own games directly from the disc, forcing you to hack the console to do so.

So in the end Sony developed 3 emulators for the ps3.

1,.PSX emulator
    2,.Ps2 emulator
    3,.PSP emulator.

The later (PSP) is the less compatible and less refined but it is the only one that allows you to play games at higher resolutions in comparison to the native res you get while emulating PSx or PS2 on Ps3.

Edited by Esppiral at 18:30:41 12-05-2014

Edited by Esppiral at 18:35:30 12-05-2014
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next