Any musicians here?! Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Zomoniac 29 Aug 2012 10:11:49 7,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are the drums real? Listened several times and I'm still not quite sure. Nice solo btw.
  • BanjoMan 29 Aug 2012 11:01:54 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of my stuff here. It's old-timey, off-kilter Americana. Or 'art-country shitcore' as we like to call it.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Zomoniac 29 Aug 2012 11:24:38 7,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hah, I like it, doesn't sound like you're all taking it entirely seriously :)
  • warlockuk 29 Aug 2012 11:45:28 19,142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prog - I quite like how the guitars remind me of Chuck Schuldiner (and others) :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 29 Aug 2012 11:46:08 19,142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, Banjo - awesome stuff :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• BanjoMan 29 Aug 2012 11:49:05 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thank ye chaps - very nice of you to say.

• JuanKerr 29 Aug 2012 12:21:15 36,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Come back BanjoMan!
  • BanjoMan 29 Aug 2012 12:29:15 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm trying!

• JuanKerr 29 Aug 2012 12:30:59 36,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I miss your bushy beard.
  • BanjoMan 29 Aug 2012 14:49:37 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It misses you, JK.

• Progguitarist 29 Aug 2012 20:36:28 10,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zomoniac No, the drums are programmed but I've learned to blend various samples and use other tweaks to get them sounding as realistic as possible. So of the newer drum programs out there are even better sounding.
  • Progguitarist 29 Aug 2012 20:37:04 10,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @warlockuk hehe...Chuck was a big influence in my formative years.
  • Rusty_M 29 Aug 2012 20:47:12 4,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That solo was great Prog. I now hate you for being much, much better than I am.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Progguitarist 29 Aug 2012 20:49:41 10,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rusty_M Thanks for listening.

Without getting into a weird diatribe, I don't really see things as better when it comes to music, personally. I think there's great music being made at all levels, as long as it's honest and open hearted that's all that matters.
  • Rusty_M 29 Aug 2012 21:03:03 4,638 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair enough. I really need to get into some writing. I wrote the song from a couple of pages back in 2003 I think. I haven't written anything else since. I keep coming up with ideas when I'm driving or at work, and they're gone by the time I can note them down.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Kanjin 29 Aug 2012 21:31:34 1,079 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You should start carrying a notepad around with you or something, so you can write it down immediately, though that might look a bit weird... Hey! good excuse to get a tablet.
  • warlockuk 30 Aug 2012 08:47:21 19,142 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Progguitarist aye - I can kinda hear it in the mix. Just subtle things like the vibrato here and there or some of the runs. Awesome stuff.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Zomoniac 30 Aug 2012 09:39:03 7,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Progguitarist What libraries were you using? Not done much programming since around about the time BFD2 came out, dunno what people use these days. Do you play drums? They didn't sound quite natural enough for me to be certain they were played but there were some very nice ideas in there that didn't sound like something I'd expect a non-drummer to come up with, so I wasn't sure. Great job on the programming, in any case.
  • Progguitarist 30 Aug 2012 12:32:48 10,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm using the default library that comes with Superior 2.0 and blending some custom snare and kick samples using APTrigga.

Yes, I play drums although I don't play them particularly well. I did alot of transcribing back in music school which also helps alot when it comes to coming up with parts.

Some of the newer programs like Addictive Drums or Steven Slate Drums sound even better although they all tend to have strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks again everyone for the nice feedback.
  • jablonski 21 Sep 2012 14:13:27 3,651 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gartt

"spermicide and ciggarettes"

Really like that. Have you recorded that properly yet?
  • bigdan1035 21 Nov 2012 20:24:20 43 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thought I'd upload 1 song I've done on SoundCloud. It's a rough take, but me and my mate, who did the bass, never got round to doing more.

Thought I'd post it here because this is where i discovered SoundCloud.

Edited by bigdan1035 at 20:31:01 21-11-2012
  • quadfather 14 Apr 2013 12:25:13 11,973 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone use ableton live 8? I've just bought it after finally making the move from acid pro.

I can use samples ok, but am I right in thinking that a 'clip' is a group of samples that you can play out using the keyboard or a midi controller keyboard? Is that the purpose of them? I'm just a bit confused as it lets you put other samples within the clip, so I'm just trying to get my head around that?

I'm reading the manual (all 477 pages of it!) but it's not quite sinking in yet. And I'll be checking some tutorials out, but I'm sure it's easier for someone who knows it to explain it

thanks in advance

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mr_Sleep 14 Apr 2013 13:51:37 16,921 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I always found Ableton a bit of a mare to use as a recording tool. It's amazing for live mixing, loop creation and as a backing tool but I've never rated it that well for recording. Although you have just bought it so I shouldn't have too much of a pop!

Also, I've been in no way helpful, sorry.

You are a factory of sadness.

• quadfather 15 Apr 2013 10:33:01 11,973 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Heh, no worries. It's fun for live stuff yes, but I also want to try doing a live set, and then switching to arrangement view to fine tune stuff. I do some work for a company where they provide video's and I put the music onto it, and after seeing what ableton can do with video, I reckon it'd be really useful. Apart from the fact that it insists on .mov files. Apple bastards.

That's the main reason for using it at the moment as acid pro 4 doesn't support video so it's always a mare getting everything sync'd properly

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• gimo80 12 May 2013 13:13:04 130 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @bigdan1035

Just followed ya on Soundcloud dude :) Interesting sound you're going for there, somewhat Nick Cave in terms of vocals with some warped Bob Dylan/Destroyer songwriting style. It's cool.

And I haven't posted on here in a while! Here's a link to my Soundcloud anyways:

https://soundcloud.com/toasted_crumpet

I'm trying to go for a dream pop esque, Kate Bush influenced story-rock album...as pretentious as it is. HA. But yeah, in terms of production I've only used my BOSS Br-600 track mixer however it is yet to be mixed or have any live percussion instrumentation. Or bass. Or anything else to bring the song out.

I'm currently battling with writer's block which is a bummer but I have about 20 songs written for the album. I want to call it Bellissima...I think.

Anyways loving the stuff that's on this thread :) CHEERRSS, Josh
  • JiveHound 12 May 2013 13:25:41 2,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've been doing the singer/songwriter thing for a few years whilst recording very dodgy, if well meaning demos on my BOSS four track.

Just started jamming with a second guitarist/backing vocalist so I can get more into the live performances from my doodlings.

www.reverbnation.com/adamasunder is where I post my shizzit.

I deal in the overwrought, that's just how I seem to express myself.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• gimo80 12 May 2013 13:35:44 130 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JiveHound

Just listening to Grind at the moment. Really excellent groove/hook - overall you have an incredibly tight rhythmic sound, something that I have always gone for :) Also vocally you're incredibly strong. It reminds me of Jeff Buckley, especially on the falsetto sections. Excellent work dude :) are you currently gigging at the moment?

Also yeah I'm using a BOSS track mixer! They're not bad but the interface has such a steep learning curve. Ack. Anyways, nice work!
  • JiveHound 12 May 2013 15:10:23 2,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thankyou! Jeff is a bit of a hero so that's very good feedback indeed!

I'm just starting up gigging again for the first time in the last few months. Work has kind of got in the way as it invariably does.

I generally gig in my home city of Southampton, the pressure of trying to get numbers to midweek gigs has really stopped me from branching out or doing too many gigs.

Problem with getting past the early twenties is that the people in my circle diminishes.

• JiveHound 12 May 2013 15:12:29 2,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I like your ornate guitar work. I'm getting a breezy Turin Brakes vibe.

I also like the melody in Clouds Sewn By Iron Talons. It's soothing.

• jonsaan 23 May 2013 18:18:08 25,335 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got our second album released. Ignore the release date on iTunes, it's wrong!

Description_here

FCUTA!

• Page

of 6 First / Last