Any musicians here?! Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 23 May 2013 18:42:36 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Finally got our second album released. Ignore the release date on iTunes, it's wrong!

Description_here
    Tidy. Not really my sort of thing but congrats on getting something out there. Signed to Revolver too, good label for this sort of thing. Although I'm sure you know that :-) Oh and good production values too.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:42:47 23-05-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 23 May 2013 18:45:34 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh and in regards of the thread, I've written a couple of songs recently. They're alright but I'm so out of practice with recording and playing to a click, it's just about there but I can't get a natural feel while also playing to a click so I might just ditch it but then I kind of want to do it all properly for a change. I might have to try and bung something a bit nicer sounding through rather than the generic click sounds!

• JiveHound 23 May 2013 20:54:24 2,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have always found click tracks too dry. I'm not really an accomplished musician though.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Progguitarist 23 May 2013 21:53:40 10,451 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jonsaan Congrats dude!
  • warlockuk 23 May 2013 22:05:06 19,181 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find kick/snare/hat loops instead of straight clicks more natural to record to.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Razz 11 Aug 2013 13:14:47 61,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Urgh, I realised something today after being asked to play a few recent pop songs on the piano. They can all be played with Am, C, G, D progression. Urgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Mr_Sleep 11 Aug 2013 14:08:22 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Urgh, I realised something today after being asked to play a few recent pop songs on the piano. They can all be played with Am, C, G, D progression. Urgh.
    Heh, this has been the same for years, Echo and the Bunnymen used to close their show with a medley based on songs that use the same chord sequence, there's loads. Here's a video of someone doing more recent stuff, exact same sequence you described https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TrerUouCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Razz 11 Aug 2013 14:36:53 61,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Goodfella Hahaha! Brilliant :D

• Razz 11 Aug 2013 14:38:37 61,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Heh, this has been the same for years, Echo and the Bunnymen used to close their show with a medley based on songs that use the same chord sequence, there's loads. Here's a video of someone doing more recent stuff, exact same sequence you described https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TrerUouCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Cheers man, C-Am-D/F-G/Em is another one that I hear a lot of. It's great as I get to play loads of music to impress my friends, but man is it repetitive! :D

• Mr_Sleep 11 Aug 2013 14:41:36 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's up to you to dirty it up ;-)

• alexm 11 Aug 2013 14:54:02 276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm looking to get back into the piano soon - can any pianists who can't sight-read recommend any good software for piano tabs?

I've tried to read music before and I can but it just isn't improving fast enough (wish I'd learned as a kid) so I want a short-cut to get back into playing.
  • JiveHound 11 Aug 2013 19:50:10 2,481 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I learnt Blurred Lines when my brother was over. Took all of two minutes.

That said good pop doesn't have to be complicated.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• thelzdking 9 Oct 2013 13:14:56 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does anyone have a home studio of any sort? I want to start doing some recording on my PC, but I don't really know where to start. What hardware do I need? Do I need a posh sound card? Are USB mixers any good? Is all the magic software based now?

I'm only going to be using it for some fairly basic stuff so I only want to spend a maximum of 200-300, although I have no idea if that is a realistic figure (you see the depth of my ignorance).

I also want to get a software synth and one of those keyboard controllers for it. Are they any good? What should I look for?
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 13:33:38 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are tons of options in all the areas you have mentioned but I'll throw some thoughts at one or two.

A posh sound card depends on how good you want to quality to be. The more you spend the better components and the better quality. Less latency, less distortion, quicker operation; that's the sort of thing effected by price. You have sort of answered this so you can probably get away with a cheap input device.

Buy yourself a Shure SM57 or 58 (microphone) for about seventy to eighty quid and you have the de facto standard for anything with a high sound pressure level but it also works for just about any instrument. They're very robust too.

Software is again somewhere that ends up costing quite a lot quite quickly, ProTools and that sort of thing are pricey off the bat but you can probably make do with Audacity for recording until you find your feet. It's free so that's always the best price.

Software synths and keyboard controllers you will probably want to consider buying an m-audio keyboard controller as they're robust enough and not too pricey. As for synths, there are a ton out there but I love all the Waves stuff but again, it's very pricey.

To be honest, on your budget, I'd struggle to get everything you've asked for.

Edit: I suppose it is the nature of the internet to have to two different opinions within two posts.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:37:57 09-10-2013

• Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 13:41:54 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, there is another option. You can buy something like this. Then you have a fairly decent set of microphones built in and you can use these as sound cards iirc. You can record anywhere and it comes with a bundled copy of Cubase. Not perfect but closer to your budget. I can imagine you can then get VST's and other plug in synths for the bundled Cubase.

• nick303 9 Oct 2013 13:44:49 1,525 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It depends on what type of music you're making I suppose. If you are planning on recording guitars for instance then you'll want a decent soundcard or mic. Many guitars and vocals then a mixer would be useful

I used to have the full works but due to space and a child my studio these days has worked down to a computer running Cubase with a few of my favourite synths. I use an external USB soundcard - Roland UA 25 and the only outboard gear that survived the cull was my Yamaha CS2X. Pair of speakers and I'm good to go :)

But then I produce dance music so what do I know ;)
  • thelzdking 9 Oct 2013 13:48:21 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Actually, there is another option. You can buy something like this. Then you have a fairly decent set of microphones built in and you can use these as sound cards iirc. You can record anywhere and it comes with a bundled copy of Cubase. Not perfect but closer to your budget. I can imagine you can then get VST's and other plug in synths for the bundled Cubase.
    That's a nifty little gizmo, I'll have to look into that.

As for the other options though I think I might get myself a Shure (for guitar and bass) and one of those keyboard controllers and then give some free soft synths a go until I know what I'm doing. I'll use Audacity or Music Creator that Goodfella recommended. I actually have a proper synthesizer, and I'm pretty sure I can probably hook that up to the computer and use it as a midi controller.

I don't know what to do about a sound card, though. What do you have in mind when you say "cheap input device"?

Edited by thelzdking at 13:49:19 09-10-2013
  • thelzdking 9 Oct 2013 13:53:58 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nick303 wrote:
    It depends on what type of music you're making I suppose. If you are planning on recording guitars for instance then you'll want a decent soundcard or mic. Many guitars and vocals then a mixer would be useful

I used to have the full works but due to space and a child my studio these days has worked down to a computer running Cubase with a few of my favourite synths. I use an external USB soundcard - Roland UA 25 and the only outboard gear that survived the cull was my Yamaha CS2X. Pair of speakers and I'm good to go :)

But then I produce dance music so what do I know ;)
    It is 'rock' music I'm looking to produce (or rather it has guitars, bass and singing), but I want to use a lot of keyboards too so I was hoping that someone into electronic music would give me some insight. From your comments I'm guessing that software-based mixers simply can't cut the mustard when compared to their outboard counterparts?

That external soundcard thing looks good, too, I'll look into them. At the very least it means I won't have to install an onboard card :D
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 13:55:22 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I actually have a proper synthesizer, and I'm pretty sure I can probably hook that up to the computer and use it as a midi controller.
    If it's an old synthesizer it'll probably work over MIDI so you might have to either look for a sound card that will accept that or some kind of conversion to USB cable (assuming such a thing exists), fortunately my mbox had MIDI input so I've never had to look for alternatives.

I don't know what to do about a sound card, though. What do you have in mind when you say "cheap input device"?
    I'm not really well placed to give good recommendations for cheaper items as I've primarily used an mbox upwards, I'd say I mean something like this. Although Focusrite aren't shite or anything. Generally the more you pay the better the analogue to digital converters and the more inputs.

With that in mind, if you are looking to do multitrack recordings using a proper Digital Audio Workstation then your budget is going to be much higher. If you're doing single input recordings then that might be okay.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:57:14 09-10-2013

• quadfather 9 Oct 2013 13:57:17 12,307 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't really comment much on 'normal' instruments, as I've got rid of most of mine over the years, but a midi synth used as a controller can produce some great results fairly easily. Software is where you might struggle though. There's plenty of free bits and bobs, but it's really nice to have something that does a lot of the ballache work for you. Ableton Live is great, but that's about 300 on it's own. You can get cut down sequencers though, and combine them with the synth, a few libraries and a shitload of samples, coupled with a hell of a lot of patience and you can get some decent stuff going.

But as Nick303 said, I only do dance/downtempo music, so what the fuck do I know :)

Saying that, I did pick up this a few months ago, and it's gone jack inputs and outputs on it! I'm thinking of trying to organically attach it to the PC somehow for some mental sessions :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 13:59:13 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Saying that, I did pick up this a few months ago, and it's gone jack inputs and outputs on it! I'm thinking of trying to organically attach it to the PC somehow for some mental sessions :)
    Did it come with the added port on top?

I'd be surprised if you can't hook it up, is it midi or 1/4" jacks?

• quadfather 9 Oct 2013 14:01:03 12,307 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, that's my special 'hammer house' decanter that has to be present at all times :)

drunken hammond sessions ftw etc

1/4" jacks. I'll google image it in a sec. How would I hook this up and to what?

• thelzdking 9 Oct 2013 14:09:46 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I think I am going to have to stump up some cash for some proper software at some point. For now we'll ignore my obviously stupid 200-300 bracket and just say 'budget studio'.

Forgive my idiocy, but if I get one of these Focusrite or some other sort of input device does it negate the need for a decent soundcard? I'm not going to be doing any multi-tracking as my current musical project consists entirely of me, so overdubs ahoy.
  • quadfather 9 Oct 2013 14:27:49 12,307 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - Still looking for the image of the sockets, but came across this bad boy whilst looking.

How awesome is that. If I had the room, I'd get that and put it next to my other one and have analog face offs :)

• Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 14:38:03 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    1/4" jacks. I'll google image it in a sec. How would I hook this up and to what?
    If you have a sound card that accepts guitar leads (1/4" jacks) then you should be able to just use a guitar lead to connect between the two. You should be able to then tell your program to use the input from that jack as your recording device and you'll be golden. Bear in mind that old machines might well come through very hot using such a method so ensure you have a low level volume when trying it out and increase it to appropriate levels.

• thelzdking 9 Oct 2013 14:41:08 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My mate got given a similar organ by a customer. He never used it and eventually threw it away! I was gutted that he never offered it to me.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 14:42:48 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Yeah, I think I am going to have to stump up some cash for some proper software at some point. For now we'll ignore my obviously stupid 200-300 bracket and just say 'budget studio'.

Forgive my idiocy, but if I get one of these Focusrite or some other sort of input device does it negate the need for a decent soundcard? I'm not going to be doing any multi-tracking as my current musical project consists entirely of me, so overdubs ahoy.
    It does negate the need for a decent soundcard as that will be your decent sound card. If that makes sense. It works as an external USB sound card.

If you are doing overdubs then something with a single input is fine, I'd suggest checking sound-on-sound and the like for reviews of similar things to what I linked to.

One thing to bear in mind when doing overdubs, especially if you're using a sequencer at some point, is that you may want to consider using tempo maps or at least making appropriate tempos for the entire session. It'll be a hassle at first but in the long run it'll save you a lot of time. So, House music is standardly around 118 bpm (off the top of my head) so if you were making a house tune then you need to set your tempo to 118 and your bars to 4/4. Wikipedia has loads of info about bpm's.

• Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 14:43:18 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    My mate got given a similar organ by a customer. He never used it and eventually threw it away! I was gutted that he never offered it to me.
    He's still a mate? I'd say that is a grounds for divorce! ;-)

• Page

of 6 First / Last