@santashi

And your verdict is?
  • santashi 1 Jun 2012 11:36:07 5,139 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    @santashi

And your verdict is?
    You mean 'I'm fairly bemused by it all to be honest' wasn't insightful enough? ;)

Let's see... The controls seemed to work well enough, although I found myself missing the gyro/right stick aiming of Golden Abyss. It's a shame they couldn't have had it as an option, but it is fine without it. (Talking of Golden Abyss, while the RBS graphics didn't blow me away, they did seem to do a slightly more convincing job with depicting fire than the former.) I'm not convinced by touching the screen to lock onto enemies, though, and the slight inconvinience that sometimes comes from covering part of the screen with your hand to do so put me off using it as much as I might have had it been controlled in some other way.

I was playing on normal mode and on the whole the aliens didn't seem particularly smart fighters. More like targets that happen to shoot back or rush at you than creatures with brains and strategy. Are they supposed to have a shared consciousness so they're not terribly bothered about dying? I couldn't really tell from what I played. I did die a few times mainly due to me experimenting or working things out (What happens if I run the wrong way and try climbing over a burning pile of rubble? I die. Fair enough.), although an alien did manage to score a direct hit on me with a grenade at one point. There are harder difficulty levels although whether they come with smarter AI or just less health and ammo I'm not sure and am not quite bothered enough to go back and find out.

The plot and characters seemed pretty silly to me (Gosh, we've just been attacked by mad aliens with machine guns! Do you think we should call it in?). It also couldn't be more overtly American if the characters went around dressed in the flag and singing the star-spangled banner. Funny and cheesy but I do have a sneaking suspicion that they wanted me to take it more seriously than I was doing.

There were odd things that seemed to have no bearing on the game like stopping to break open a door for a lady who thanked me and then stayed put. These might be trophy related though? Talking of, I hope you get a trophy for getting aliens to accidentally blow themselves up with their own grenades, which is quite satisfying.

The graphics were never brilliant, although this doesn't particularly bother me, but the opening movie was quite nicely done. Sound varied between normal and silly (some of those growls!).

It was entertaining enough for a short while but not something I can really see myself going back to.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• DiamondIce 1 Jun 2012 12:21:00 1,185 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really want to download the demo but my 8GB card is a rather large stumbling block considering the demo is 3GB in size.

Why the Vita doesn't charge whilst being connected to a PC is beyond me. I have to wait to fully charge the system so I can transfer all the games off because it takes forever to do this.

FLOPS! RAM!

• Kay 1 Jun 2012 12:24:25 17,894 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No nearby mains to keep the Vita plugged into whilst transferring?
  • mrpon 1 Jun 2012 12:28:10 28,922 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of which, has anyone found a nice tidy screen detailing the apps installed complete with file sizes? I thought Settings - App Data Management would be good but alas no file sizes. I just went with the rather cumbersome Information menu option for each app installed on the main menus.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DiamondIce 1 Jun 2012 12:29:07 1,185 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kay

I have to use the USB port to connect to the PC and therefore cannot use the power connection part of the cable.

FLOPS! RAM!

• Zizoo 1 Jun 2012 12:30:48 8,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @santashi

Pretty much how I felt about it. I would rent it if I could.
  • Kay 1 Jun 2012 12:33:32 17,894 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DiamondIce wrote:
    @Kay

I have to use the USB port to connect to the PC and therefore cannot use the power connection part of the cable.
    Ah yes, forgot that the main connection is not separate like it was on the older PSP models. Can understand your frustrations then - surely there'll be a firmware update soon that allows charging via PC.
  • Progguitarist 1 Jun 2012 12:36:30 10,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried the demo last night. It was fine, nothing amazing but the core mechanics are solid and the weapons I got to use were pretty cool.

There's no way it's a "2/10" game. It's perfectly functional. How much fun you get out of it will probably correspond to how bored of FPS's you are.

Might pick it up when it drops in price.
  • santashi 1 Jun 2012 13:03:18 5,139 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    @santashi

Pretty much how I felt about it. I would rent it if I could.
    Yeah, it does feel like a rental game to me.

And I agree that it's pretty silly the Vita will only charge via a computer if it's switched off.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 1 June 2012 14:02:41
    Played the demo today and reeked of another "by-the-numbers" FPS. The game controls well enough, but playing it on Normal difficulty and it still felt like a shooting gallery with enemies waiting to be killed rather than trying to kill me. The visuals weren't great - The God of War PSP games outclass the visuals on this title and they're last gen portable titles. The touchscreen controls, as already mentioned by another poster are intrusive. They really get in the way of the action. The way the game starts off is also incredibly random - you're on your way to put out a fire, and 30 seconds into the building the Chimera start to attack. Poor pacing right from the off.

Overall it comes across as just another FPS which is needlessly made more difficult to play by forcing touchscreen on us. The visuals are distinctly average for a Vita game, the sound is poor; the Bullseye in particular sounds nothing like what it does on the PS3 games, and voice acting is equally dull. This game lacks almost everything that makes a Sony exclusive title great. It's clearly been rushed to have the title of first ever twin stick portable FPS and there's work need in every area ranging from sound, visuals and gameplay.

That's just what I got from the demo as well. It only lasted around 15 minutes so the full game must only get worse. Whilst the Destructoid 2/10 score is farcical, I completely agree with EG's 5/10 score. It's distinctly average and doesn't feel fun to play.
  • mrpon 1 Jun 2012 14:16:47 28,922 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a slight Half Life 2 vibe from the visuals, mind. Don't get excited by that aspect by the way.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Help_me 1 Jun 2012 16:04:55 942 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just played through it. I didn't find it that bad. I'd say a high six going on seven.
  • Gregolution 1 Jun 2012 18:00:00 3,261 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I must be odd cause it seems good to me. Can anyone say they've played a better controlled fps on a handheld? I certainly can't.

I get the impression the Vita has to not only bring fps games to handheld but also somehow revolutionise the genre as well or no one will be happy!

Edited by Gregolution at 18:02:15 01-06-2012
  • Zizoo 1 Jun 2012 18:08:51 8,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is in no way a 2/10, that's for sure.
  • Progguitarist 1 Jun 2012 18:13:48 10,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its not that at all Greg. Its just not up to scratch. 5/6 out of ten is about right. It shouldn't get a pat on the back just because its on the vita. There's just not enough there to warrant the asking price.
  • Gregolution 1 Jun 2012 18:17:48 3,261 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I suppose you're right. When I play it I think, holy shit this is a real fps controlled perfectly on a handheld - impressive! I don't see bland fps, they're all bland IMO!
  • Progguitarist 1 Jun 2012 19:29:35 10,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, there's been plenty of decent ones. Another good comparison is golden abyss. It doesn't even begin to come close in terms of presentation and quality.
  • steveb07 1 Jun 2012 19:30:06 855 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Download it now my Talk Talk connection is showing up as ready in 556 minutes, nice. Can't do the maths brain hurts after a long days work...

PSN: IIIQuid

• jonsaan 1 Jun 2012 19:40:12 25,352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair. Pretty much any FPS released these days feels like it's all been done before. The genre is just massively fatigued.

FCUTA!

• el_pollo_diablo 1 Jun 2012 20:45:27 2,084 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The start of the game is hilariously bad, as someone said. Its a shame as i always enjoy the slow, gradually mounting tension in games as they're setting up the scene for something bad to happen.

Not so here - you walk though about two doors before an alien casually wanders into the scene and eats your mate.
  • fb77 1 Jun 2012 22:15:28 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Eurgh! Bland in the extreme. Not as horrific as some reviews suggested, but that's not much in the way of praise.

I didn't mind the touch screen stuff, but as others have suggested, it can be intrusive, especially mid battle. Reloading with a swipe is fine, tagging enemies and aiming grenades not so much.

The lack of continuous score added to the tension at certain times, but it's hard not to be put off by the absurdity of your deafening footsteps in the quieter moments.

Fine for a punt at around 20, but certainly not at nearly twice that.

PS: Sony, it's really quite insulting asking silly money for your downloads and suggesting that the special edition content makes up for this in some way. Skins and avatars was it? Woohoo!
  • daft_punk_909 2 Jun 2012 07:27:57 57 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Speaking of which, has anyone found a nice tidy screen detailing the apps installed complete with file sizes? I thought Settings - App Data Management would be good but alas no file sizes. I just went with the rather cumbersome Information menu option for each app installed on the main menus.
    I want exactly this. It's time consuming and just crazy to have to check each game/app for it's file size individually. It takes ages to do this as well. If Sony are shafting us with these small memory cards (I've got a full 16GB) then they at least need to allow us to manage them easily. DaisyDisk on the Mac is my ideal client.

PSN: daft_punk_909

• Ror1984 2 Jun 2012 12:31:12 3,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I picked this up yesterday (though given GameStation's price of 40, I wouldn't have if I hadn't've had a 30 gift card), and played the first level last night. I actually quite enjoyed it. It's a perfectly serviceable FPS, it controls well and looks pretty good. And I don't even particularly like the Resistance series.

I wouldn't pay forty quid for it, nor would I argue about a 5 or 6/10. But after an hour, Destructoid's review seems absurd.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Anthony_UK 2 Jun 2012 12:41:21 2,499 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was surprised by the demo, I actually quite enjoyed it.

The problem is what do you compare this or even vita games in general? It's easily the best FPS i've ever seen on a mobile platform and it's perfectly playable, but when Sony have marketed the vita as home console in your pocket the game just doesn't compare.

Also £40 for this? Seriously....
  • fb77 2 Jun 2012 12:49:19 102 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I was surprised by the demo, I actually quite enjoyed it.

The problem is what do you compare this or even vita games in general?
    This is the main issue for me, for the platform right now, it's fine, but compared to any modern shooter, it's about 5 years out of date.
  • GamesConnoisseur 2 Jun 2012 23:03:59 420 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At 14.99 this 5 years stuck in a time loop FPS would have really been worthwhile and deserving of Vita owners attention.

At 39.99 no, I can't really say its worth this even if that what I bought for a digitial version, now nearing the mid point of the final chapter. It's ignore all the advancements in FPS genres in term of AI, set pieces, story, visual, audio and so on. But there still fun to be had. 6/10 for me but at the price would tempt for 5/10.

US PSN got their pricing spot on which put just bit over 20 but a far better value.
  • KayJay 3 Jun 2012 00:34:25 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GamesConnoisseur wrote:
    US PSN got their pricing spot on which put just bit over 20 but a far better value.
    Heyzeus..!
    We are paying almost double on the EU store. Thats fucking crazy... :/
  • Page

of 7 First / Last