Kids bored of Wii - my turn to choose some games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • markyHD 14 Feb 2012 19:26:46 447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi all,

My kids aren't showing any interest in the Wii anymore, and so I thought I might pick up a few games for myself baring in mind its been out ages now and there are no doubt some great games.

I have mariokart and mario galaxy that I have played with the kids, so I presume mario galaxy 2 is great. I'll pick up the two Zelda's as I like those, and this new 'The last story' looks enticing, so will keep an eye out for that.

Would anybody care to make any other mentions. I'm looking for the more mature games, such as The Last Story seems to be. Like RPGs.......

*EDIT* I actually bought it on launch day btw, can you believe i've never played a game on it really

Edited by markyHD at 19:28:46 14-02-2012
  • monkehhh 14 Feb 2012 19:29:50 3,145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Xenoblade \o/ \o/ \o/
  • FuzzyDuck 14 Feb 2012 19:50:10 3,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What type of games are you into?

Pick up Sin and Punishment 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Donkey Kong Country Returns for a nice mix.

Oh, and defo get Galaxy 2, it's probably my fave game this entire generation ;)
  • markyHD 14 Feb 2012 19:56:28 447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Sorry I should have clarified my tastes. I tend to like games that last a while, which I know it quite a broad statement, but I like to spend time playing just one game at a time, and so the game has to be absorbing enough to provide that. So RPG's, action/adventures, etc.

I get my racing/sports/fps fixes from my ps3, and am looking really to discover the gems I might have missed on the Wii.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2012 20:03:13
    Monster Hunter sounds like the game for you.
  • Oceanstar 14 Feb 2012 20:03:21 94 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Xenoblade should keep you busy. If you want to play with kids I suggest Boom Street (its quite complex but easy to learn). Mario Party 9 is coming early march too.

You can also keep your eye on Pandor's Tower launching this April. Its probably the last major Nintendo release for Wii.

NNID: Oceanstar

• richardiox 14 Feb 2012 20:34:43 5,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excitetruck is awesome and probably dirt cheap by now. One of the best arcade racers this gen I reckon.
  • threemoh 14 Feb 2012 21:00:01 206 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    markyHD wrote:
    Sorry I should have clarified my tastes. I tend to like games that last a while, which I know it quite a broad statement, but I like to spend time playing just one game at a time, and so the game has to be absorbing enough to provide that. So RPG's, action/adventures, etc.
    This might go against that, as it may not last very long, but MadWorld is worth the 5 it goes for nowadays.
  • Cappy 14 Feb 2012 21:52:57 11,707 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Monster Hunter is garbage. Avoid.

It's like something designed for the PS1, you don't even get a door opening animation or something to camouflage it, you simply get a ridiculous screen telling you when a black screen would actually be less obtrusive. It loads at about the same frequency as the original Resident evil.

The controls are terrible to boot. Capcom cut so many corners with the game they didn't even bother with unique character models for the very small number of people in the starting village you're seeing clones right from the start.

All the thrill of hunting in a poky little World composed of fragment 'rooms' broken up by absolutely everywhere.

Xenoblade is what you want, there's hundreds of hours of gameplay and the World is large and beautiful, even better it only loads between different areas rather than every few steps.
  • markyHD 14 Feb 2012 23:09:04 447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Xenoblade certainly looks great, and i think I'll pick that up first this weekend, lots of praise it seems.

I did actually try the monster hunter game on my old psp and have to say it's a marmite game. For me I just couldn't get going with the control scheme. I didn't mind the loading and section zones, but perhaps I was more accepting of the psp's limitations.
  • redcrayon 14 Feb 2012 23:21:33 4,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Xenoblade is great.

If you like strategy RPGs, you could do worse than pick up Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

The graphics are basic, but it's tough and is at least 60 hours on the first playthrough.
  • figaro7 15 Feb 2012 01:05:57 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As others have mentioned, some rare gems on the wii are its RPGs and platformers so other games that havent been mentioned already

little kings story
    zak and wiki
    super paper mario
    donkey kong country returns
    super smash bro brawl
    kirbys epic yarn (be mindful this one is short but awesome)
    Red Steel 2
    Goldeneye 007
    De blob 1 and 2
    new super mario bros wii
    okami wii
    trauma centre series (very offbeat)

heaps more ive missed, theres also some good stuff on wiiware as well!
  • TheRealBadabing 15 Feb 2012 01:40:48 1,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just sell it and get a Kinect.

If they are young enough your kids will thank you for the joys of Happy Action Theatre and if they are old enough they will hate you for all the other stuff you have denied them like Kinect Sports and Kinectimals.

Either way you will be blamed.
  • Raiko101 15 Feb 2012 02:37:11 5,580 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get yourself World of Goo from the Nintendo Shop. A great puzzle game that reminds me a Lemmings. Perfectly suited to the Wii. Then consider Lost Winds and Cave Story.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• roz123 15 Feb 2012 08:44:28 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you want an absorbing game get the metroid prime trilogy although it might be quite hard to find because it was a limited release

Edited by roz123 at 08:44:36 15-02-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next