Becoming a father. Page 3

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• JBlokeUK 14 Feb 2012 10:19:23 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wobble wrote:
    We're in week 38 atm, everything is bought and bags are packed... and now we wait. Every day the Mrs gets a little more impatient and moany, I am trying to appreciate the relative quiet before the storm. But I'm very aware that my quiet is at the cost of her being constantly kicked from the inside and the inability to be comfortable for more than 15 minutes in any position.

Edited by Wobble at 10:15:22 14-02-2012
    Sums up how things are at home for me right now. Only last week I suddenly asked myself "what if he comes early!?".

I like it when he's angry.

• thedaveeyres 14 Feb 2012 10:19:48 11,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    It's hard to talk to my female friends at the moment though, they are all "It's so beautiful and natural" and baby-obsessed, it's like there is some kind of unwritten rule that you are not allowed to be worried about stuff or question your natural ability to be some maternal goddess. They do not accept doubt.
    I may be breaking a Club rule but my wife regularly reads the Dad's Club threads and says it is way more helpful than the likes of Mumsnet for exactly those reasons. The mum forums just aren't honest enough about the negative thoughts and emotions that crop up now and again.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Wobble 14 Feb 2012 10:24:03 1,028 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    Sums up how things are at home for me right now. Only last week I suddenly asked myself "what if he comes early!?".
    5/9 couples in our NCT group have already popped, all early! It was freaking the mrs out until this weekend when we finally finished everything and packed everything, now she is mad that she thinks she is going to be late :p

I'm trying to work out what games will be best for the next year, I suppose quick pick up and put down arcadey stuff to rule out resentment from the frequent interuptions.
  • Nasty 14 Feb 2012 10:24:18 4,748 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The bit I'm more worried about is when they turn 13 and become an insufferable cunt. The bits before that I'm looking forward to!
    It's fun. Honest.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2012 10:27:54 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    2 Weeks early should be fine. They're fully baked by 37 Weeks.
  • Scurrminator 14 Feb 2012 10:28:34 8,437 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Local, just join our group. We don't care. It's there for people to moan and ask questions. Plus you can get an insight into the mind of man and offer us tips!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• JBlokeUK 14 Feb 2012 10:32:33 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've read that at 37 weeks they are pretty much ready to pop.

Bought a book at the weekend called Being Dad, and from what I've read it's looking like being a good book.

• jonsaan 14 Feb 2012 10:38:37 25,360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just approved a fair few Dad's club applications. Don't forget to introduce yourselves.

FCUTA!

• sport 14 Feb 2012 10:39:17 12,775 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was recently in the "premature" ward at Barnet Hos, and there was a little guy there who popped out at 26 weeks - he weighed around a pound and few ounces. Poor thing has been in the incubator for about 4 months now - mother practically lives at the hospital :-(
  • Salaman 14 Feb 2012 10:40:20 19,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    It's hard to talk to my female friends at the moment though, they are all "It's so beautiful and natural" and baby-obsessed, it's like there is some kind of unwritten rule that you are not allowed to be worried about stuff or question your natural ability to be some maternal goddess. They do not accept doubt.
    I may be breaking a Club rule but my wife regularly reads the Dad's Club threads and says it is way more helpful than the likes of Mumsnet for exactly those reasons. The mum forums just aren't honest enough about the negative thoughts and emotions that crop up now and again.
    Ban please!

I don't have any objections to local becoming an honorary dad's club member tbf. If she gets all mumsnetsy on us we can always boot her. :-)
  • Vortex808 14 Feb 2012 10:40:34 7,310 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Local, just join our group. We don't care.
    This. It's one of the best bits of the forum IMO. For getting advice, venting, sympathy and for laughs.

On topic, having kids is tough, but brilliant. The first 3 months or so was hell, but it improves every day. 6 weeks made a psychological difference to me when they start smiling (or was it just gas?). It made all the hard work seem worthwhile. Watching all their milestones like first steps, words etc is just so amazing.

Our wee lad is rapidly heading for 5 and the extra banter and laughs that can be had now are just brilliant.

So many folk have already given so many good pointers already, but I'll reiterate about mooching stuff from friends or buying second hand from NCT sales. They grow so fast, and you get so much stuff that half of it's like new and you barely use it all!
  • Blaketown 14 Feb 2012 10:41:34 4,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Was recently in the "premature" ward at Barnet Hos, and there was a little guy there who popped out at 26 weeks - he weighed around a pound and few ounces. Poor thing has been in the incubator for about 4 months now - mother practically lives at the hospital :-(
    Yeah, worst week of my life was the one spent in the pre-natal ward. The stuff of nightmares.

Anyway, positivity!

Edited by Blaketown at 10:42:22 14-02-2012

Brap, brap, old chap.

• MetalDog 14 Feb 2012 10:56:34 23,740 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    I was just thinking how much some parents remind me of pod people =D

I'd be a horrible mother. The biggest favour I can do my kids is not having them.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 14 February 2012 11:04:25
    Fatherhood's bloody great (2 girls here, 5 and almost 3). It's not as tiring as some make out but it's a challenge at times

I'll give a shout out to home births and midwife led units though. Doctors and hospitals are seriously good at fucking things up. Neither of mine were born in a hospital
  • Blaketown 14 Feb 2012 11:06:36 4,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Of course, my wife could have died had we not been in a hospital so swings and roundabouts and all that.

Edited by Blaketown at 11:09:45 14-02-2012

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 14 February 2012 11:07:48
    I'd sooner brush my teeth with a shotgun than have kids but congrats to all the rest of you.
  • mrpon 14 Feb 2012 11:18:33 29,202 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably for the best.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• doctor_nick 14 Feb 2012 11:21:17 188 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thread of the day, no question. My lad (19 months now) was born at home and it was a good experience for all, so I'd say worth considering if there are no complications. The Mum has a choice of all her own stuff (and food) and a lot more freedom. And there's a real jolt when I remember he was born in the exact spot we're now pressing playdough into the floor or whatever...

Edited by doctor_nick at 11:21:32 14-02-2012
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2012 11:26:05 60,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    I'll give a shout out to home births and midwife led units though. Doctors and hospitals are seriously good at fucking things up. Neither of mine were born in a hospital
    'Neither of my children have been born in a hospital but I have experience of hospitals being good at fucking things up'.

OK

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• PatrickEwing 14 Feb 2012 11:27:40 2,146 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not the playdough, get's everywhere! Especially when you think it's a good idea to make 100's of green peas out of the green one.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Feb 2012 11:36:07 38,728 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    doctor_nick wrote:
    And there's a real jolt when I remember he was born in the exact spot we're now pressing playdough into the floor or whatever...
    To be fair you should really get some carpet cleaner on that bloody stain. What must visitors think?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• doctor_nick 14 Feb 2012 11:47:18 188 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wooden floors don'tcha know
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2012 11:59:36 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Yeah, worst week of my life was the one spent in the pre-natal ward. The stuff of nightmares.

Anyway, positivity!
    Yep, my son was 7 (or 8 depending on who you believe at the hospital) Weeks early and was in NICU for 4 Weeks. The first 48 hours were hell, after that it was just patience. As someone in the.Group said to me at the time, once they're out, you'll find it hard to even remember what it was like. Wise words indeed.
  • JBlokeUK 14 Feb 2012 12:06:23 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've heard a lot about how the first child is late a lot of the time. My wife is having a c-section so we already know the day and time, unless he actually decides to come early!

• sam_spade 14 Feb 2012 12:09:41 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't owned a coffee table in years.
  • Blaketown 14 Feb 2012 12:11:21 4,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I once drove a Ford Fiesta to Truro.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blakester 14 Feb 2012 12:36:42 3,636 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hah, this thread doesn't half take me back.

The first day home with baby is very intense. At the hospital you have a button by the bed and if you're not sure what to do, you press it and the nurse comes and helps (feeding, nappy changing, baby screaming etc, etc).

When you get home there's no button so suddenly you have to deal with it. I remember feeling very isolated and scared, but those feelings eventually disappear.

Having friends and family around is essential in the early weeks.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Clive_Dunn 14 Feb 2012 12:37:45 4,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think that anyone who doesn't worry about the level of responsibility that bringing up a child involves, hasn't really thought enough about it.

It's a huge committment, I was terrified for months.
  • magicpanda 14 Feb 2012 12:41:14 13,411 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good thread! We have around 4 weeks to go. It's due to pop out right between our birthdays. I'm 16th and she is the 29th.

The naming discussion has been going on for 4 months and we are still no closer to coming up with one. :)
  • morriss 14 Feb 2012 12:47:32 71,138 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just as an aside, the learning curve goes off the chart when they hit about 2-2. It then takes another spike at around 5.

My kids are 2 and 5. :'(

The other day my eldest son spat at me.

You just wait. :)
  • Page

of 22 First / Last