Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Page 8

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• AccidentProne 23 Nov 2012 15:41:11 1,162 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bought it too, not sure why, as I'd not even considered it before... Oh well, the dev had something to do with Blur apparently, so I'm sure it's not 17 wasted.
  • LeSpank 23 Nov 2012 15:46:47 483 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're a mug if you don't buy this game!
  • Murbal 23 Nov 2012 15:57:35 22,083 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Nov 2012 16:16:07 7,688 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Although I have the PS3 version I reckon I will definitely pick up the PC version if there is no frame rate lock.

The idea of running this at a full 120fps on a 120hz monitor is almost too good to contemplate.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Nov 2012 17:15:49 37,832 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    It's on offer for another 50mins.
    I just assumed it would have sold out. Good call - I managed to get it!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mikeck 23 Nov 2012 17:54:41 1,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @shamblemonkee HMV are so much better for trade-ins, took four games in today (admittedly all pretty damn new) and got 94 of in-store credit.
  • GeezaTap 24 Nov 2012 21:36:55 289 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unlocked Expert mode in this last night.

If it wasn't for those ring races, this would be a 10/10 for me. Less of those please in any DLC/sequels!
  • MysteryLamb 25 Nov 2012 12:24:19 525 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could someone explain how you actually trigger going 'all star'. It seems totally random.
  • Tomo 25 Nov 2012 13:26:49 13,893 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is brilliant. Totally different game to Mario Kart, but excellent in its own right.

Major bonus, my girlfriend loves it - 2-player co-op campaign is brilliant!

Only thing is she comes up as Tomo(2) and can't use her own username. I'm on PS3, anyone got any experience with this? I tried creating her a user on the PS3, but I can see no way of getting the game to recognise it, so everything comes under my user.
  • captainrentboy 25 Nov 2012 16:07:39 977 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MysteryLamb wrote:
    Could someone explain how you actually trigger going 'all star'. It seems totally random.
    Don't you just get the 'all star' pick up and 'fire' it as you would any other weapon?
    All star mode doesn't seem to land you in first place as often as it would in the original, it seems to have been toned down a bit.
    I've clocked the main campaign on normal now, and other than the odd ring race and boost time trial (where I'd often finish with just 1 or even 0 seconds on the clock) it was pretty easy.
    Now to go up a level :/
  • Deleted user 25 November 2012 16:22:44
    My girlfriend felt so bad about her Game debacle that she went out the next day and bought me a copy. She so sweet.

I've been rinsing it the last couple of days, apart from some blurry visuals (haha, Blur innit it's an awesome game. Speedier than a greased whippet and dayglo enough to blast the November gloom out of my front room. I absolutely love the handling model and the career does an excellent job of teaching you the mechanics. They seem to have struck a nice balance between the weapons and actual racing although it's as annoying as ever to have a perfect combo drift with a level 3 ready to rock ruined by a fucking red shell thing.

What feels so good about this is that it truly feels like a Sega Arcade game, seemingly simple but superbly nuanced and with that nostalgia inducing blue sky feeling from my youth. It's not just a Mario Kart clone it has its own feel. What's great is that Sega's past properties have been really well utilised in creating the genre track archetypes. House of the Dead is the atypical Haunted Mansion, Billy Hatcher is the requisite snow level, Golden Axe brings the Bowser Castle ominance . Some levels have their own little easter eggs that augment the gameplay slightly. The Nights one has the rings that give incremental speed boosts when flown through.

The transformations into different vehicles could have quite easily ruined the game. It initially comes across as a goofy gimmick, and probably would have proved to be the case without the work they've put in to fully realise each component. As a result this isa racing game that feels really refreshing, they have full reign to go bonkers with the source material and it shows. It takes all the best bits of Sega's past glories; in IP and design ethic, adds it to a Mario Kart template, with a dollop of Hydro Thunder and a smidgen of a really successful flying mode which in my mind has always been really hard to get right. It's all down to that marvellous drift.

Thoroughly deserving of it's 9/10 review in my humble opinion.
  • DUFFKING 25 Nov 2012 16:47:49 7,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is a little ropey in places, though. Hopefully it'll get patched out but on some tracks like the Golden Axe one it's possible to be going too fast over jumps and hit the scenery and glitch into it/come to a dead stop.

The boats are a little buggy too, sometimes you get random full steering lock in midair, and the transformations on tracks like the Nights one sometimes send you off in a random direction.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2012 17:01:22
    That golden axe one only seemed to happen in split screen weirdly. Just played it again and it seems you can tilt your car down with the left stick to.avoid the snake.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 17:09:33 25-11-2012
  • DUFFKING 25 Nov 2012 17:05:12 7,221 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It happens on S class a lot, if you use a powerslide boost and hit all the boost pads it happens practically every lap.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 09:18:54
    I've only just opened expert mode, I'll have to give it a try. If so then it really should have been picked up in QA.

The graphics are overall pretty ropey with glitchy textures abound which surprised me. It obviously didn't have a huge budget. Doesn't impact on the game though, it feels really good which is the most important thing.
  • mikeck 26 Nov 2012 10:02:11 1,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have two spare PSN codes for this if anybody wants - PM me ;)

EDIT - BOTH GONE NOW.

Edited by mikeck at 10:26:35 26-11-2012
  • L_Franko Moderator 26 Nov 2012 10:03:46 9,694 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday while in ASDA as I couldn't stop myself.
    I'm rather enjoying it, the tracks are all good fun and once I got the powerslides down it can produce some edge of your seat moments.

Only played the main single player world tour thing so far and was wondering if you only unlock characters in there or are there some to unlock in other game types?

Might have to try it online tonight to see how it holds up.
  • Razz 26 Nov 2012 10:12:11 61,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Personally, I'm finding the competition online a bit lackluster, admittedly I play a lot of arcade racing games and I've completed most of the story mode on hard, but still, I didn't expect to come in the top 2 almost every time. I wish there was a way to choose more experienced opponents manually rather than using the match making system :/

Edited by Razz at 10:13:01 26-11-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• L_Franko Moderator 26 Nov 2012 10:23:28 9,694 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll probably find online a challenge then as I've never been very good at kart racing style games.

I must have spent half hour trying to get three stars on the first race last night. Fun but hard.
  • Razz 26 Nov 2012 10:25:18 61,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone else find the boat section of the first Sonic stage (Ocean View) mercilessly difficult? I have to be at least half a lap ahead if I stand a chance of beating the CPU.

Also, I /hate/ the Billy Hatcher tracks :D Too much slowing down to get around bends and a lot course glitches to get stuck on, not my least favorite though, that ward goes to the race course in the aircraft carrier, I think it's the second Afterburner track, nothing particularly wrong with it other than being really hard! Need more practice.

Favorite track atm is one of the Monkey ball ones, temple trouble, and the Jet Set Radio course on the rooftops. Most played in local multiplayer here at casa de Razz

Edited by Razz at 10:26:07 26-11-2012

• mikeck 26 Nov 2012 10:27:33 1,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Razz The afterburner course on the aircraft carrier is one of my favourites! :p
  • Razz 26 Nov 2012 10:31:36 61,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're talking about the first one where you fly around the aircraft carriers, then yes I agree, it's a really cool course. but there is a later one, inside an aircraft carrier or a submarine base or something that's really bloody hard. It might be an eggman course tbh.

• mikeck 26 Nov 2012 10:34:46 1,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Razz Ah yes, the later one is a bitch!
  • RedSparrows 26 Nov 2012 11:14:13 22,300 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should get this tomorrow. Can do some races Wednesday evening probably.
  • RabidChild 26 Nov 2012 11:26:18 2,292 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate the NIGHTS track most of all. I seem to be in the minority there, though.
  • Razz 26 Nov 2012 12:04:22 61,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hated it at first too, mainly because i kept getting lost during the flying sections! But after a couple hours trying to beat the staff ghosts on it, I've grown to like it! Just takes some getting used to.

• santashi 26 Nov 2012 12:13:48 5,098 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any news about whether or not early buyers of the PSN Vita version will get Metal Sonic?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• elvenscroll 26 Nov 2012 13:11:25 1,381 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there a music player in this? Been hunting through the options but can't find one.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Deckard1 26 Nov 2012 22:53:34 27,703 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't get better than second on the first fucking race. I've tried about 15 times now and I just can't do it. The stupid little pink cunt is just too fast. And if I am winning some cunt will fire a cunting bee at me or something a cunt over the cunting line before me. I'm playing as a cunting blue cartoon cunting hedgehog driving in a little blue cunting sports car and I can't even win the first cunting race. What the cunt is going on here?

Hush you ponce

• IncredibleKoosh 26 Nov 2012 23:00:39 240 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1

You aren't very good.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last