iTunes and ALAC?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 9 Feb 2012 12:38:29 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are there any plans for iTunes to start doing ALAC downloads? Seems weird that they actually invent a lossless format but then donít sell music in this format.

I appreciate itís probably more about the labels and distributers, but there are other websites out there selling music in lossless formats, so it must be possible.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2012 13:42:26
    Probably, what with ALAC being open source these days.
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 15:31:01 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *BUMP*

Still waiting...

Amazing that nobody us realising the potential for "HD" music. Price of storage is going down, everyone's bandwidth is going up, and yet the standard for digital audio is still 256kbps. And that's on a good day. Most people are content to listen to Spotify or whatever.

HD is becoming the standard for TVs and now we're looking at 4K and Retina and super high resolutions, and yet the quality of audio is continuing to slide downwards. I don't get it.
  • dominalien 11 Jul 2013 15:35:00 6,742 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the vast majority of people wouldn't notice the difference anyway (I don't, at least, so I automatically assume no one else does, either ;-))

It's a bit different, but see what happened to DVD Audio. We have only two ears so spatial mixes are overkill, plus music you can only "fully" appreciate in a specific place with a specific setup is bound to be less attractive.

PSN: DonOsito

• nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 15:35:09 55,870 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    you still need a plugin to get itunes to read FLAC, so I doubt its coming any time soon.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• UncleLou Moderator 11 Jul 2013 15:36:55 35,172 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's annoying. I've said it in another thread recently, unless music downloads are lossless and include a pdf of the booklet, they're a compromise.

There's only Bandcamp that offers lossless, and special sites like HDtracks where you pay through the nose. :-/
  • graysonavich 11 Jul 2013 15:37:57 6,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Most people are content to listen to Spotify or whatever.
    Spotify streams at 320kbps
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 15:38:15 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ALAC is Apple's version of FLAC.

You can convert CDs to ALAC, and you can even by digital download in ALAC format from places like hdtracks.com. You just can't get them from Apple, which I find incredibly odd.
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 15:38:35 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Only on Premium, which most people don't have.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jul 2013 15:38:38 35,172 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Only if you're a premium subscriber.
  • dominalien 11 Jul 2013 15:39:37 6,742 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Only if you specifically select it. The "normal" quality, which is selected by default and "recommended", is 96 kbits/s.

Edit: I have Premium.

Edited by dominalien at 15:40:10 11-07-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jul 2013 15:39:54 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I made a point of getting an mp3 player that could decode flac files. Not heard anything properly HD, beyond CD resolution I mean, that could be interesting.
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 15:40:37 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I think the vast majority of people wouldn't notice the difference anyway (I don't, at least, so I automatically assume no one else does, either ;-))

It's a bit different, but see what happened to DVD Audio. We have only two ears so spatial mixes are overkill, plus music you can only "fully" appreciate in a specific place with a specific setup is bound to be less attractive.
    You need the right kit to fully appreciate it, but they're only too happy to sell us HD monitors and TVs so we can play our Blu Rays and get HD football. Why not take the opportunity to sell us HD audio equipment? They could do an ipod HD with a built in DAC and super sexy headphones.
  • graysonavich 11 Jul 2013 15:42:13 6,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It wasn't that long ago when you'd visit an mp3 download website and they'd offer you a midi download as an alternative.
  • nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 15:42:24 55,870 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Not heard anything properly HD, beyond CD resolution
    GET HIM, GRAY!!

He totally called it

• graysonavich 11 Jul 2013 15:44:17 6,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can't listen to anything higher than 128kbps, it goes against the laws of physics.

Wait what?
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jul 2013 15:47:15 35,172 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I made a point of getting an mp3 player that could decode flac files. Not heard anything properly HD, beyond CD resolution I mean, that could be interesting.
    It's pretty controversial if the extreme high resolutions aren't actually counter-productive for the sound quality. I don't hear a difference on my system, but I also don't hear one between 320Kbps and lossless, though. Still prefer lossless because I see no reason to compress stuff, and who knows what gets lost that you can't hear

Edited by UncleLou at 15:48:33 11-07-2013
  • neilka 11 Jul 2013 15:51:04 14,942 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bet Dr. Dre can sell you some kind of HD headphones.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jul 2013 15:51:19 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is that true? 128? wow
  • imamazed 11 Jul 2013 15:51:49 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    dominalien wrote:

You need the right kit to fully appreciate it,
    That may well be the case, but I've tried out top notch headphones and speaker systems, and compared lossless to 320 kbps or even 256 and noticed very little difference. Maybe some people can, that's fine, but I don't think Joe Public can. A big enough marketing campaign may shift some audio hardware and itroduce "HD music" but I don't think it's genuinely needed like HD visuals were.
  • neilka 11 Jul 2013 15:51:57 14,942 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's way ahead of me.
    http://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/solohd/beats-solohd.html
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 15:57:01 83,877 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even if Joe Public can't appreciate it, and even if it is just a niche thing, I still don't get why they aren't offering it for the few that would appreciate it. Again, it just baffles me that other sites out there are selling music in Apple's own lossless format, and Apple aren't.

You could argue it'll cause them bandwidth costs, but I'm sure the extra charge they could put on the lossless stuf would make it worth their while.
  • superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 15:59:24 7,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you have to be a cat to actually hear a difference in some of the higher bitrates
  • nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 16:01:37 55,870 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or, maybe, have better equipment.

I know thats a wanky thing to say but on my headphones, the variance is night an day but in my car it makes no real difference until you get down to the shit bitrates that makes cymbals sound like they were hit underwater.

He totally called it

• superdelphinus 11 Jul 2013 16:03:21 7,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have good headphones and an exceptionally good amp. I think a lot of it is psychosomatic to he honest
  • Deleted user 11 July 2013 16:03:51
    I personally won't buy an album online unless the band follows me around and plays it live whenever I want a listen.
  • nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 16:05:29 55,870 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I have good headphones and an exceptionally good amp. I think a lot of it is psychosomatic to he honest
    Then I dont know what to tell you. Im not in the same league as some of the audiophiles on here and I can hear the difference quite easily.

He totally called it

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jul 2013 16:13:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got a real boner for expensive hifi. Netbook->usb dacmagic->Naim super nait->A pair of B&W speakers. I'm sure I could tell the difference but then I haven't extensively tested.
  • graysonavich 11 Jul 2013 16:13:33 6,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous