New Double Fine adventure funded by Kickstarter Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 14:33:36 3,044 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have no issue with this game going over budget because they designed too much game. I am fine with them designing too much game, confessing to it, and hoping for more support from gamers. I hope and even expect that they will get it, and I look forward to seeing what they've made.

And I'm sure they'll have learned something from the experience. :)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 14:36:59 3,044 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    I got that email as well and to be honest I'm kinda pissed off and it makes me worry about other projects.
    Pissed off? Worried?

Have you guys never paid the slightest bit of attention to game development until now? People are acting like this is the most shocking and outrageous thing they've ever heard.

It happens ALL THE TIME. And usually the publishers just threaten everyone until the game gets cut down to size and forced into the package the publisher decided they wanted it to fit, and that's what we get, and then we all moan about it not being finished or being half a game or being full of bugs.

This lot have gone entirely predictably over budget, confessed fully to it, told us what all their options were and put forward one that will hopefully allow them to make *almost* exactly the game they wanted to make.

And we're "pissed off" and "worried about other projects".

o_O

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• mikew1985 3 Jul 2013 14:57:34 12,656 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with a lot of what Tarick has said.

But one thing I would add is that is comes suspiciously hot/not too hot on the heels of the kickstater campaign for Massive Chalice closing.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 15:23:35
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    What a joke. This guy is piss poor with money. I've seen and played far better looking adventure games at a fraction of that budget.
    How wonderful for you.

Have you played this one, so that your comment has even the slightest relevance? No? Why not? What's that? It's not even finished yet? But, you're here casting aspersions about the relative value compared to other unnamed games that you *have* played, so...

Confused.
    Broken Sword 5 - another kickstarter game that already looks far better in terms of quality and story. Oh, and by the way, they're managing the budget well and they got less.

Or anything by Daedalic Entertainment for that matter. The whispered World, A New Beginning, The Night of the Rabbit, machinarium, Deponia; need I go on?

Most adventure games don't hit anywhere near this sort of budget.

Edited by SG59 at 15:36:36 03-07-2013
  • Mr-Brett 3 Jul 2013 15:26:35 12,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What is there to be angry at? The game will be just as good, they're not selling out to publishers, they're not asking for any more money from anyone, ALL they're doing is making some cuts to get the project back within a realistic scope releasing half of it early via Steam early access. It's actually a really neat solution should it pay off.

If you're angry then watch the latest doc episode, if you're still angry after that then go for a walk or get a kitten or something, seek help!

Portable view - Never forget.

• Mr-Brett 3 Jul 2013 15:26:36 12,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oops, double post, man I should stop being so angry...

Edited by Mr-Brett at 15:27:07 03-07-2013

• Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 15:32:59 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love Double Fine and have been a massive Schafer fan since Grim Fandango, but the amount of DF defending here is a little over the top - especially silly considering recently there's been some amazing games being made by only few people on a tenth of this budget

Edit - Probably should've hired a decent product manager with some of the money.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:35:09 03-07-2013
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 15:44:55
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I love Double Fine and have been a massive Schafer fan since Grim Fandango, but the amount of DF defending here is a little over the top - especially silly considering recently there's been some amazing games being made by only few people on a tenth of this budget

Edit - Probably should've hired a decent product manager with some of the money.
    They are great, but they really need to get someone in that know how to work within' a budget.

Edited by SG59 at 15:49:28 03-07-2013
  • Mr-Brett 3 Jul 2013 15:45:21 12,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's comparing apples and oranges though, dev teams of different sizes in different parts of the world making very different (but still adventure) games have different budgets? yes, yes they do. I'm not going to say that they couldn't have managed the money better maybe they could, how would I know, I'm just some guy on the internet.

If you back something you're not an investor, you don't get the right to tell them how to manage their finances. From the start they said they'd try and make the game they wanted but could well fail, they've been honest and revealed this stuff that most developers wouldn't. Yeah I think that's worth defending and I stand by the point that the end user is almost unaffected.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 15:54:58
    It's all just mismanagement, really. KS backers aren't investors, but there's obviously very valid reasons for someone being quite put out by it all.

The thing that gets me worried is the mention that the game's going to be smaller than Full Throttle, though. That was tiny, even by Lucasarts standards.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 15:57:39 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not an investor and I'm not telling them what to do with their money, I'm just trying to say I've lost a little faith (and trust) in them as a studio to deliver the goods.

Just because they're open and up front about the potential pitfalls of a project like this doesn't mean people should simply excuse them if said pitfalls happen.

Or does it?

Edit - Shorter than Full Throttle? Yikes :confused:

Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:58:43 03-07-2013
  • Mr-Brett 3 Jul 2013 16:09:34 12,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DF promised that they'd try and make a game and they'd film it along the way. You could give them some cash to watch that and play whatever they ended up with. If they'd blown all the money on booze and cigars and not spent any time making a game then there'd be reason to be put out.

Is there anything to excuse? they have a problem, they found a solution, not much really changes.

• Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 16:23:03 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I mean, I know this movement’s all about removing shackles from creativity, but I’m not sure if it should be a license to over-scope and then haphazardly seek out more money when things reach a breaking point. There’s definitely something to be said for shooting for the stars, but that doesn’t mean accountability should end up six feet under in the process.

That's what I'm trying to say (I can't word it as well) - John Walker at RPS.

Also, what if after this next lot of additional funding they decide to expand upon the game even further and we're in this situation again?

It sets a bad precedent imo, and any other developer without the goodwill of DF would be slaughtered for it.
  • the_dudefather 3 Jul 2013 16:34:57 9,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man, imagine if the game only turned out to be 'OK' at the end of all of this

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 16:40:41 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    With the exception of Psychonauts and Stacking, haven't most of their games been merely 'OK' though? I've only played Costume Quest and The Cave in addition to those two and they were indeed average.

Schafer's best stuff came before DF imo, though he still has that magic from time to time.
  • Mr-Brett 3 Jul 2013 16:44:05 12,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok but who are they accountable to? we haven't pre-ordered a game, we bought in on spectating this experiment. I think you're right there would be cause for concern if this wasn't that last time it happened, it'd probably affect any future crowdfunding they attempted.

I think the main problem though is people not understanding and generally being quick to judge. 1. Not understanding how game development works, ironically something they're trying to address and 2. not understanding that kickstarter is at best charity, at worst gambling.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 16:49:58
    I liked costume quest and the Cave. Despite going down in history as one of the greats I wasn't that keen on Grim Fandango. The controls aren't great and the puzzles aren't that logical. Loved the atmosphere and characters the game had though.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 16:55:04 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They're legally accountable to nobody of course, but don't you feel they have some moral accountability to the fans who raised this huge amount of cash so they could develop the game? Or does that end with whatever rewards they're offered for their payment tier?

I'm just worried that they don't have enough structure in place, they're biting off more than they can chew and something's going to suffer for it (not only this project, but with the other recently funded Kickstarter too).

I genuinely hope I'm wrong and the extra cash makes an amazing game.
  • the_dudefather 3 Jul 2013 17:04:18 9,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are that many people even angry about this? I've only really seen 'mild disappointment that they went over-budget but whatevs' or 'what? didn't they get more than what they asked for? oh, ok then'

All I've seen all day are people defending them, which is fine, but feels a bit over-zealous

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 17:06:10 1,578 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think anyone's angry (not what I've seen anyway) - just a little worried/concerned.
  • King_Edward 3 Jul 2013 17:13:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd be pissed if I'd backed it.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 18:52:33
    The thing I've found that most people are angry about is that they only announced this literally a couple of days after finishing another kickstarter campaign, which seems a bit duplicitous of them.
  • mikew1985 3 Jul 2013 19:51:55 12,656 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's most definitely calculated from that point of view.
  • neilka 8 Dec 2013 22:53:26 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elijah Wood is Shay :)

(Thread title change please!)

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• morriss 8 Dec 2013 23:41:20 70,942 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't wait.
  • BillMurray 10 Jan 2014 19:24:54 7,701 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This has crept up on me a bit. The first act is out in 4 days I think?
  • neilka 10 Jan 2014 19:35:48 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, the beta version for backers at least. Now the dilemma of whether to wait for the final version or play straight away!

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• BillMurray 13 Jan 2014 23:34:21 7,701 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomorrow!
  • mal 14 Jan 2014 01:00:32 22,456 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh, this is looking pretty good now.

Shame act 1 is steam only until after act 2 gets released, but I can understand the reasons I guess. Still, I guess this means they aren't releasing tablet versions and wotnot for testing now.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• cjb_bjc 14 Jan 2014 17:33:31 1,061 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So with this embargo in place anyone want to share their views?
  • Page

of 10 First / Last