New Double Fine adventure funded by Kickstarter Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Ged42 7 Apr 2012 12:26:15 7,807 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched the most recent video (should in your email inbox fundees) and seeing those guys so happy at the million mark, put a massive grin on my face. :D
  • Lexx87 7 Apr 2012 12:29:37 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah first video was ace, really makes the project come alive.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Mr-Brett 11 May 2012 20:12:42 12,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Episode 2 is up and is great :)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• TOOTR 11 May 2012 20:38:33 9,648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving the vids. But haven't got very involved in the forums yet

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• TOOTR 11 May 2012 20:39:02 9,648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Mr-Brett 11 May 2012 22:45:33 12,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't say that aspect interests me, if I want to talk about it then here is fine. I'd rather not know too many secret details so talking about things they'd rather keep quiet shouldn't be a problem and lets face it will be impossible with 87,000 having access to it anyway.

• X201 11 May 2012 23:44:07 15,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The forums are good. Nice, intelligent two way discussion between the backers and Doublefine.
  • Mr-Brett 12 May 2012 00:10:50 12,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did try and get on the forums to have a look at some of the stuff linked in the update but apparently I'm not authorised even though I'm using the same e-mail address as my kickstarter account :/

• Ged42 12 May 2012 14:17:56 7,807 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's interesting seeing the game emerging into the light like a baby turkey from it's egg. Without the fear of being thrown out in a zipper bag into the publisher's bin.

Sounds like an interesting concept, I'm imaginging something similar to Day of the Tentacle's style of gameplay.

It's also cool to see some of the history of Grim Fandango and Monkey Island.
  • Whizzo 12 May 2012 14:25:14 43,352 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The turkey farm details were rather horrible in the Sidequest video, urgh.

Everything about being on the Skywalker Ranch was great though, sounds like an interesting if just a bit strange place to work.

Edited by Whizzo at 14:25:28 12-05-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• TOOTR 12 May 2012 16:15:51 9,648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I can't say that aspect interests me, if I want to talk about it then here is fine. I'd rather not know too many secret details so talking about things they'd rather keep quiet shouldn't be a problem and lets face it will be impossible with 87,000 having access to it anyway.
    I know what you mean. I'm torn between playing the game fresh with no spoilers vs really watching how some of my favourite game designers build and create and how the process unfolds.

Actually I've answered myself there - I want to peek behind the curtains and get involved!

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• X201 12 May 2012 16:34:08 15,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    It's interesting seeing the game emerging into the light like a baby turkey from it's egg. Without the fear of being thrown out in a zipper bag into the publisher's bin.
    Loved the bit in the video where Schafer was describing it to Ron Gilbert, and Gilbert said "Well its an interesting concept but not for us given current market conditions" aping what publishers would say. :)
  • dsmx 12 May 2012 16:37:05 7,729 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it quite interesting that the kickstarter fundraising for this game works out at pretty close to $40 a person. How can publishers say there isn't a market for games like this when quite clearly there is?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• X201 14 Jun 2012 09:57:13 15,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    T-shirts and Posters due to be mailed to backers from tomorrow.
  • neilka 7 Jul 2012 13:25:53 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ADVENTURE!

Edited by neilka at 13:26:16 07-07-2012

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• X201 7 Jul 2012 15:02:52 15,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any customs hassles?
  • neilka 7 Jul 2012 15:34:27 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, they marked it as a gift worth $8 so it got through okay.

• BillMurray 7 Jul 2012 15:52:18 7,905 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hope mine arrives on Monday!
  • mikew1985 7 Jul 2012 16:40:29 13,035 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why didn't I back this? I'm going to buy it day one so I've no idea why I forgot to fund it. Worth for that tshirt alone.
  • X201 7 Jul 2012 21:30:05 15,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Why didn't I back this? I'm going to buy it day one so I've no idea why I forgot to fund it. Worth for that tshirt alone.
    You can be a "Slacker Backer".

You don't get the shirt, but you do get the game and the video updates(worth the money alone in my opinion) and access to the backer forums.
  • binster 8 Jul 2012 10:03:34 542 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't wait for my tshirt to arrive. I chose size XXXXXXXL because I couldn't believe the sizes went up that high. I'm predicting some kind of glorious mumu.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Sep 2012 19:59:32 12,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Episode 5 of the documentry is up.

• BillMurray 20 Sep 2012 09:30:38 7,905 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching that episode makes me wish they had more time and money to fit everything that they want into the game.
  • neilka 8 Mar 2013 00:55:44 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TIM'S
    BEARD
    HAS
    GONE

The game is looking lovely though!

• neilka 24 Mar 2013 18:45:50 16,531 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has a name and that name is Broken Age!
    http://www.brokenagegame.com/

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 23:26:56
    Hello, Backers of Adventure!

Those of you who have been following along in the documentary know about the design vs. money tension we’ve had on this project since the early days. Even though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didn’t stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money.

I think I just have an idea in my head about how big an adventure game should be, so it’s hard for me to design one that’s much smaller than Grim Fandango or Full Throttle. There’s just a certain amount of scope needed to create a complex puzzle space and to develop a real story. At least with my brain, there is.

So we have been looking for ways to improve our project’s efficiency while reducing scope where we could along the way. All while looking for additional funds from bundle revenue, ports, etc. But when we finished the final in-depth schedule recently it was clear that these opportunistic methods weren’t going to be enough.

We looked into what it would take to finish just first half of our game—Act 1. And the numbers showed it coming in July of next year. Not this July, but July 2014. For just the first half. The full game was looking like 2015! My jaw hit the floor.

This was a huge wake-up call for all of us. If this were true, we weren’t going to have to cut the game in half, we were going to have to cut it down by 75%! What would be left? How would we even cut it down that far? Just polish up the rooms we had and ship those? Reboot the art style with a dramatically simpler look? Remove the Boy or Girl from the story? Yikes! Sad faces all around.

Would we, instead, try to find more money? You guys have been been very generous in the tip jar (thanks!) but this is a larger sum of money we were talking about. Asking a publisher for the money was out of the question because it would violate the spirit of the Kickstarter, and also, publishers. Going back to Kickstarter for it seemed wrong. Clearly, any overages were going to have to be paid by Double Fine, with our own money from the sales of our other games. That actually makes a lot of sense and we feel good about it. We have been making more money since we began self-publishing our games, but unfortunately it still would not be enough.

Then we had a strange idea. What if we made some modest cuts in order to finish the first half of the game by January instead of July, and then released that finished, polished half of the game on Steam Early Access? Backers would still have the option of not looking at it, of course, but those who were sick of waiting wouldn’t have to wait any more. They could play the first half of the game in January!

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.
    tl;dr: We've blown through the $3.2 million and have only made a fraction of the game.
  • munki83 2 Jul 2013 23:37:55 1,453 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got that email as well and to be honest I'm kinda pissed off and it makes me worry about other projects.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 12:59:58
    What a joke. This guy is piss poor with money. I've seen and played far better looking adventure games at a fraction of that budget.
  • mikew1985 3 Jul 2013 13:04:35 13,035 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is the sort of stuff I'd imagine happens all the time when publishers fund games - delays equal massive increase in costs.

This was always going to happen at some stage but the fact that it has happened to such a high profile kickstarter funded project is interesting.

I'm definitely going to buy this when it's released but I'll hold off parting with any money for awhile.

It's also interesting to note that the 3.2 million figure bandied about doesn't cover the extra funds raised outside the kickstarter campaign so they've potentially blown through a good bit more money on top of the initial sum raised.
  • TarickStonefire 3 Jul 2013 14:32:42 3,429 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    What a joke. This guy is piss poor with money. I've seen and played far better looking adventure games at a fraction of that budget.
    How wonderful for you.

Have you played this one, so that your comment has even the slightest relevance? No? Why not? What's that? It's not even finished yet? But, you're here casting aspersions about the relative value compared to other unnamed games that you *have* played, so...

Confused.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Page

of 10 First / Last