Next
  • Jono62 22 Feb 2012 10:29:35 14,193 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Are you from Ghana?

http://teachghanatrust.org.uk/

Give us some money :)

Or if you prefer, get a team together and attend our fundraising quiz on Saturday 25th February, its 20 per head, but you get food included, and all the profits go to the charity

/shameless plug
    Mr Webmaster. The payment sections aren't working.
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Mar 2012 14:31:15 5,849 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I posted this somewhere else, but thought I'd share it with you guys as well.

Ah...! I'm back in the UK after my trip to Uganda. Not sure if I announced it here, but I fancy sharing some pictures. So settle back, you're going to be a little bored.

Some of you may know I have a brother in Uganda and I went primarily to present him with an Xbox and some games. Long story short, it was cheaper to do this in person than send it through the post, because the Ugandan Revenue Authority charges 55% of the value of the package as import tax. This is on top of the 155 to send a package from UK to Uganda. And here is a selection of the games he got.

Count up the RRP of all those games and work out how much 55% of that lot is. I haven't bothered. But it will be a damn sight more than 483 rtn to Uganda.

I sent my brother an Xbox 1 years ago and it made me smile to see the old and new side by side.

Here is a termite hill in Uganda. Taller than me. Nearly tripped and fell headfirst into that motherfucker.

And a little shot of both me and my brother engaged in a bit of Street Fighter violence.

Walking about in Kampala is a little nuts. There are open manholes all over the place. No street lamps. So if you don't watch where you are going at night, it can become a little smelly and painful.

Pictures don't really do traffic in Kampala justice. But let me say this. These picture nearly killed me.

It took me 5 days to pluck up the courage to get on one of these motorcycles/taxis. There are no riding schools in Uganda, so none of these guys have licences.

Want more pictures?
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Mar 2012 14:33:07 5,849 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here are some more.

When I was taking a quick walk around, saw some green bananas for sale.

This is staple food here and it is called Matooke. It gets mashed into a paste and served with anything and everything. But these green bananas are seriously lacking in essential minerals, nutrients, etc. Because of that, Bill Gates himself is funding a project to genetically modify green bananas, so that people that eat these will get the equivalent of a balanced meal.
    More info here.

Also, everything has to be nailed down here.

A taxi driver catching a nap balanced on his motorcycle.

A street musician. And his drummer using a cog as drums.

And finally, these motorcyclists/taxis are insane. I saw one transporting an articulated lorry wheel. I tried so hard to catch a picture of one of them carrying something insane. But it really is, blink and you will miss it. CRazies thing I managed to capture was this guy.

You can barely make out a TV, but what you didn't see is that he was also ferrying a passenger. Who was balancing the TV on the motorcycle with his knees.. Insane.
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Mar 2012 14:34:20 5,849 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yes, here is the termite picture.

Here is me standing in a sugar cane field.

An open-air market in Entebbe, with a little nosey parker getting into the picture.

And most importantly, a shot of geekiness in action.
  • Vice.Destroyer 25 Mar 2012 14:35:32 5,849 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here is me celebrating my survival on one of these crazy motorcycles. We went onto incoming traffic!!!

Here is my brother deep in thought with Peggle!

Here is me and my little brother. (I call him little, but he isn't little. Just turned 30. But I haven't seen him for 20 years.)

• pacrifice 23 May 2014 17:29:06 1,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This thread'll do.

Why does one have to pay import tax?

If I order a game from the US, $40, whatever I've paid them, that includes their tax, shipping and handling from the US to the UK. The funds cover the shipping and handling throughout the UK too.

So when it arrives in the UK, why are they charging import tax? I know they calculate it on goods to the value of 18 but why do this?

Is it just because they can?
  • mal 23 May 2014 17:34:28 22,677 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Importing individual items above the 18 level is a mug's game. They'll charge you VAT, import duty and the post office handling fee, unless you're lucky. It's only worth paying that if you're importing hundreds of pounds of kit, and even then only just. Courier from the EU and certainly the first and last don't count, and iirc you don't pay import duty from the EU either, but from proper overseas, nah.

Edit: And yeah, they charge it because they can. It's a form of protectionism, designed to stop you spending your money overseas and make you spend it locally instead.

Edited by mal at 17:36:16 23-05-2014

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• pacrifice 23 May 2014 17:37:05 1,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking bastards mal.
  • modula 23 May 2014 18:41:09 258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try it in Thailand; we moved here a couple of years back and shipped some belongings out (guitars, xbox, clothes etc) and Thai customs raped us on the tax; even had to pay import duty on what was very clearly used and not remotely new underwear. Moving back to the uk soon and we've got a fucking huge baggage allowance on the flight in a bid to dodge any more tax shenanigans
  • DaM 23 May 2014 19:16:46 13,324 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm getting Nectar points on mine (and my DHL shipping costs), 50000 so far! Probably enough for a 6 pack of Quavers.

Anyone voting UKIP - that's the benefit of a free trade zone (no duties, not Nectar points...).
  • mrpon 23 May 2014 19:20:40 29,172 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    modula wrote:
    even had to pay import duty on what was very clearly used and not remotely new underwear.
    /pushes aside tea

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DodgyPast 23 May 2014 19:29:16 8,491 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @modula

Got lucky when I shipped my stuff. Pre-warned the agents on the Thai side and they snuck my stuff through on a Sunday for a very reasonable fee.

Weren't we meant to catch up for a drink sometime... Obviously after the curfew's been cancelled.

Edited by DodgyPast at 19:32:43 23-05-2014
  • elstoof 23 May 2014 20:11:52 7,721 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pacrifice wrote:
    Why does one have to pay import tax?

If I order a game from the US, $40, whatever I've paid them, that includes their tax
    Strictly speaking, if you purchase anything from outside the EU you shouldn't be paying local taxes - this is why you pay an import tax when it arrives in you territory. If the vendor still includes their local tax on the invoice, they're probably claiming it back as they've got proof of shipping overseas and letting you get double mugged.
  • mal 23 May 2014 20:33:58 22,677 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For one thing, nothing on the internet from the US pays VAT, I thought. And the other thing, import tax and VAT are different things. You used to have to pay extra VAT on things bought from the EU when we had a higher rate of VAT than the source country, but not since everything was rationalised. Outside the EU, like you say, the sender shouldn't charge VAT, but AIUI import duty is a separate thing, and charged on anything over 18 quid regardless of any pre-paid taxes if it's coming from anywhere where we don't have a special trade relationship.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• modula 24 May 2014 02:49:21 258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DodgyPast that we were! Fingers crossed this nonsense ends before I leave at the end of July...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next