Import tax

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 4 Feb 2012 11:08:56 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is not strictly speaking online shopping, but it is worth a punt. Someone on EG might know. I am sending my brother a package of goodies to Uganda and have just found out that that country has a 55% import tax rate on the value of good sent. I am sending him a monitor, camera, Xbox, untold games and an external HDD. I don't even want to think about how much 55% of that is worth. Any idea how to avoid this or reduce this?
  • FWB 4 Feb 2012 11:11:24 44,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this for an African prince?
  • Oceanstar 4 Feb 2012 11:15:09 114 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    First you have to declare a very low value for the package you are sending and make sure to label it as a gift. Sending to a home address helps, so don't use his work address.

I'd check as well with the Ugandan embassy as the 55% tax might only apply for commercial goods. Just mention that you are sending your brother a birthday gift and you would like to know if there are any taxes that might apply.

He can also call his local post office and ask what taxes, if any, would be applicable if e receives a gift from the UK.

Edited by Oceanstar at 11:15:55 04-02-2012

NNID: Oceanstar

• PazJohnMitch 4 Feb 2012 11:19:19 8,078 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did warn you that custom officials were all thieves.

If you send it all in one package without paying any import tax I suspect none of it will make it.

I would probably split into into small chunks and take the hit on the larger items. (Monitor + 360) but risk it with the games and camera.

Although it does depend on just how corrupt they are. They may for instance steal the things which have the tax paid and not bother about the others.

I would go for a bet edging approach.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Feb 2012 11:20:39 8,078 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oceanstars suggestion looks like a good starting point.
  • neilka 4 Feb 2012 11:23:35 15,965 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pay a Ugandan to smuggle them into the country up their arse.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• PazJohnMitch 4 Feb 2012 11:34:49 8,078 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or alternatively hire this woman:

http://jalopnik.com/5784098/this-woman-crashed-a-car-with-54-bags-of-heroin-in-her-vagina
  • Vice.Destroyer 4 Feb 2012 13:22:29 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The way it is looking, I think I'll just fly down to Uganda and deliver the stuff myself. Return flight via Bahrain for March = 410. And I get a luggage allowance of 40kg.

Conversely, sending via post will be between 150 - 200, depending on the courier. And then a HUGE tax bill on the goods as well. At those prices, anything other than flying down there myself just seems stupid.

And @Paz, yes, you did say that they are all fucking crooks. I didn't want to believe it, but yes. You are right.
  • El_MUERkO 4 Feb 2012 13:24:48 17,037 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They may stop you at the airport and ask why you brought a monitor on holiday.
  • Vice.Destroyer 4 Feb 2012 13:30:05 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I tell them the truth, that this is a gift, that's not going to cost me more, is it?
  • Vice.Destroyer 4 Feb 2012 13:36:33 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oceanstar wrote:
    He can also call his local post office and ask what taxes, if any, would be applicable if e receives a gift from the UK.
    My brother called me this morning, in shock, after having left the Ugandan Post Office. He asked what you might have to pay to receive a gift, was told 55% and left the office. After he was out in the Ugandan sun, he thought he must have misheard and went back in to ask one more time. According to the lady behind the counter in Kampala, as of about 10am local time, goods attract a 55% surcharge. I will call the Ugandan embassy, because I have to hear this for myself.
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Feb 2012 12:14:15 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck this. I am flying to Uganda instead. Considerably cheaper. Bastards.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2012 13:25:11
    Plus if you sent them with a lower value, that'd be your insurance value....so if it went missing then it'd be a big loss as well.

Might be worth checking if there is some kind of limit on goods you can bring into Uganda even flying in - unless you are going to get the stuff out the packaging etc ? Britain has a 400 ish level I think, I'm just thinking that customs in every other country other than the UK seem somewhat more interested in what people are doing.....
  • Lexx87 5 Feb 2012 13:29:11 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This way you get to actually see your brother and help it set everything up and stuff, so it's quite good in that way!

Speak the truth hussy!

• mrharvest 5 Feb 2012 13:56:26 5,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also recommend that you deliver the stuff in person. I'm in Tanzania and half the packages go missing in the post or gets inexplicably replaced somehow. Instead of a bottle of perfume a colleague received some chilli sauce. :D
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Feb 2012 15:53:28 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'm flying down to Uganda. 8-21/3. Will be good to see the family. FLying to Uganda via Bahrain.

@MrHarvest. You ever go Kampala? How bizarre would it be to have a Eurogamer meet in East Africa?
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Feb 2012 15:55:19 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DisneyJon wrote:
    Plus if you sent them with a lower value, that'd be your insurance value....so if it went missing then it'd be a big loss as well.

Might be worth checking if there is some kind of limit on goods you can bring into Uganda even flying in - unless you are going to get the stuff out the packaging etc ? Britain has a 400 ish level I think, I'm just thinking that customs in every other country other than the UK seem somewhat more interested in what people are doing.....
    All the stuff is out of its packaging. Saving on weight and space.
  • mrharvest 5 Feb 2012 17:38:42 5,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Yeah, I'm flying down to Uganda. 8-21/3. Will be good to see the family. FLying to Uganda via Bahrain.

@MrHarvest. You ever go Kampala? How bizarre would it be to have a Eurogamer meet in East Africa?
    No, I haven't been to Uganda yet. Everyone who's been says the gorillas are awesome. Flying is a bit expensive for me but the coach takes ages. I'll have a think about it.
  • Vice.Destroyer 5 Feb 2012 18:06:43 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I don't want to put you out of pocket, because once I touch down in Uganda, I will be penniless myself. I just paid for my sisters wedding and this package, as well as the plane ticket has killed me. I'm going to be a broke man for a little while. Find me on Facebook. My name is Victor Anfu. I think there are only two on there. One is my dad, the other is me. I think that you should be able to tell the diff between the both of us. Maybe me and my brother will be able to take a coach trip to somewhere in the middle :)

This is all very much up in the air, of course. But if you are east african, then you understand the african way of planning stuff. Plans aren't laid in stone. They are more like..., suggestions :)
  • Vice.Destroyer 17 Feb 2012 09:05:04 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have been grumbling about this 55% import tax to anyone that will listen. Finally my aunt snapped.

"Listen. Stop four moaning. England is getting the best years of your life. How much tax have you paid here? Africa just wants its fair share. Don't begrudge them that."

I'll remember these words of wisdom, next time she goes to Ghana. :)
  • THFourteen 17 Feb 2012 09:21:00 33,472 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you from Ghana?

http://teachghanatrust.org.uk/

Give us some money :)

Or if you prefer, get a team together and attend our fundraising quiz on Saturday 25th February, its 20 per head, but you get food included, and all the profits go to the charity

/shameless plug
  • Zizoo 17 Feb 2012 09:52:59 8,384 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're a good bloke Vice. Paying for your sisters wedding and putting together an awesome gift for your brother. :)
  • Vice.Destroyer 17 Feb 2012 13:26:30 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Are you from Ghana?

http://teachghanatrust.org.uk/

Give us some money :)

Or if you prefer, get a team together and attend our fundraising quiz on Saturday 25th February, its 20 per head, but you get food included, and all the profits go to the charity

/shameless plug
    I am half-ghanaian, half-sierra leonian. But my mum married a ugandan, and that is why the family is over there. I'll keep that URL to one side and may donate some time in the future. For the time being, I am broker than a motherfucker. This trip is becoming exceedingly expensive. I have just paid for my Hepatitis A and Typhoid inoculations. Yellow Fever on monday. And I still have to buy my ticket from Glasgow to London.

And just bought some of these, to take down:

If I could give, I would give. But I'll keep them in mind.
  • DaM 17 Feb 2012 13:32:03 13,245 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You've got a baby to think about!
  • nickthegun 17 Feb 2012 13:34:09 59,976 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having sold mobiles on ebay, I never would have believed someone would genuinely buy a mobile to send their brother in africa.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Vice.Destroyer 17 Feb 2012 13:43:18 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DaM Don't worry, once the baby is born, all my dosh will be going in only that direction.

@nickthegun :) Those scam artists have made it difficult for honest punters.
  • Vice.Destroyer 17 Feb 2012 13:50:58 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and Nick, I am going to give my brother my current phone. He'll be the only Ugandan (I guess) with a Nokia Lumia 800.

• Carbon_Altered 17 Feb 2012 13:57:29 675 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have been to Uganda and Ghana through work and liked both countries immensely. I would, however, never fcuk with their customs officials!!
  • Vice.Destroyer 22 Feb 2012 10:19:09 5,840 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll take my chances. I'll keep a few crips $20 bills in my pocket. That will smoothe a lot of things over.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous