Metal Gear Solid HD PS Vita Page 14

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 October 2012 21:03:20
    Really struggling to enjoy 3.it is just too frustrating. What do i do when alerted?!
  • dsmx 6 Oct 2012 21:24:52 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Essentially if spotted you have to find somewhere to go hide and not be seen entering the hiding spot, then just wait it out. But the game is very punishing on being spotted, if they see you hide somewhere they'll keep on firing and/or throwing grenades towards your spot even in vents and so forth.

In the jungle it's quite hard to be spotted and generally you move about with total ease so long as your half aware of your surroundings. However if you get spotted in the jungle your almost always in for a fight as hiding spots are quite hard to come by and camouflage is useless when enemies are in alert mode. Once your out of alert mode so long as your not seen going prone in grass for example you can wait out the alert so long as the patrols don't find you. Tiger stripe and green face paint or similar is generally the best all round camo in the jungle, animal camo and desert face paint for the mountains.

In built up areas and buildings camo is crap for the most part and it's more about timing your movements and well basically normal MGS gameplay. If you get spotted there's almost always a hiding spot in every map so it's not generally a problem getting spotted in concrete areas. Built up areas generally splitter all round but if you need the extra camo and have got it the spider camo gives you 80% camo at all times at the cost of cutting into your stamina stupidly quickly.

Need a bit more mowgli or is that enough?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 6 October 2012 23:47:42
    Cheers that does help.got past the bit just incredibly frustrating. Alarm goes off and ik fucked with no where to hide and came reload game so just have to wait to die! just need to practice though.
  • dsmx 7 Oct 2012 00:49:06 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Be patient and remember grass is your friend. Watch the enemy guards patrols and work out how to get through.

Oh yeah can't belive I forgot this in the jungle and mountains use your infared goggles, if you don't pick them up early on your going to find the the rest of the game much harder.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Flying_Pig 7 Oct 2012 06:34:25 11,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agree with what dsmx said. This is definitely not a game to rush through. I also found tranq-ing guards helps too, but just make you get 'em in the head and use a surpressor.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2012 10:33:05
    Lol, I've only just started the actual game. Turns out the bit I was stuck on was the prologue mission. Gah
  • consignia 7 Oct 2012 14:05:55 1,433 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I had trouble on Virtuous Mission after coming back to it from a long time. But I really picked it up again later, and had immense fun. The camo stuff is a bit clunky, but it comes into it's own when you master it.

I'm playing Peace Walker at the moment though, and I'm really stuggling to get into that. It just seems not have as much sneaking fun as Snake Eater. I find the controls a nightmare as well.
  • dsmx 7 Oct 2012 17:04:40 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I prefer the controls in peace walker for the most part, aiming down the gunsights is much easier in it, trouble is that it was made for the psp so the controls are built around that restriction. Would of been much better if they'd of tweaked controls to better suit the system but alas that ship has sailed.

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 13:55:46
    Meh.

Patience
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 22:19:56
    Seriously this game needs a quick death button. Getting spotted with no where to go and having to wait half a Fucking hour for the guards to kill you is zero fun.
  • Flying_Pig 13 Oct 2012 23:03:18 11,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mowgli - that's always been one of my gripes with the MGS series as a whole. How far have you got? I found the jungle tiring after a while, but one you move on from there the game really picks up :)
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 23:07:01
    mowgli use the fake death pill
  • dsmx 13 Oct 2012 23:07:56 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does sort of use the death pill to fake your own death, if the guards see you die they come over and check your body then the alert is called off. You can then use the revive pill and carry on playing, just don't leave it too long before using the pill.

• Flying_Pig 13 Oct 2012 23:20:09 11,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    It does sort of use the death pill to fake your own death, if the guards see you die they come over and check your body then the alert is called off. You can then use the revive pill and carry on playing, just don't leave it too long before using the pill.
    Gah - why did I never try that!?
  • Deleted user 14 October 2012 01:11:55
    Heh, I haven't actually tried the death pill yet. Will use it next time.
  • TheMightyRose 19 Oct 2012 12:50:21 174 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hello dsmx sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

Yes The Boss was loyal to her mission but that means nothing in of itself. As you say it is hard to avoid spoilers so The Mighty Rose will put the spoiler tags on this next bit so as not to possibly reveal too much to people who have not played through the game.

Her mission was to steal the Philosophers legacy from Volgin for the CIA. There was nothing noble about that mission. How does giving the legacy to the CIA fit in with her vision of the world as one? It does not.

She was a hypocrite because she talked about wanting peace on one hand while with the other she handed over two miniature nuclear warheads to a madman to do with as he wished. It is worth remembering that The Boss herself fired the second warhead just before her fight with Snake.

As for being a coward well someone that preaches about wanting peace and then does absolutely nothing to try and make it happen is a coward in my book. She was supposed to be this great hero but was nothing more than a CIA stooge.

It was good to play through these games again recently as it meant Tim Rose was able to dig out his Piggyback guides. I love Piggyback guides as they are always beautifully put together and in the MGS2 one they even try to explain the ending of Sons of Liberty! Talk about an impossible task! I probably would have struggled to get the platinum on both games on the vita if not for these guides.

My favourite piggyback guides are Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 and Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King. The colour and artwork is superb in them. I just wish Piggy had done the guide for Okami as well as I had to settle for a Prima guide which was sorely lacking in colour pictures.
  • dsmx 19 Oct 2012 13:34:52 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The boss was a soldier her only loyalty was to the mission and only the mission.

Her own personal beliefs and needs always came second to that, so she was always going to end up being a hypocrite when the mission and her own opinions conflicted.

• Deleted user 20 October 2012 13:51:07
    just completed MGS3.... what a ride. best in the series for me imo (though the shooty shagohod & motorbike sections were annoying)

sucks there's no NG+ ability to change difficulties

also crap that they didn't include PW with the VITA bundle : /

Edited by cozeny at 13:51:46 20-10-2012
  • dsmx 20 Oct 2012 19:01:25 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Love it to bits MGS3, always makes me sad when people say they never finished it because once it gets going it's one hell of a ride. If I was doing the best games I've ever played list it's would definitely be in the top 10. (given the list at this point is probably approaching 500ish that's saying something)

• Deleted user 20 October 2012 21:25:53
    so... do I download PW from PSN? is the file size obscene? is it worth it? should I just play through MGS3 again?

no alerts/no kills seems like it'd be super hard, and all the kerotan frogs seems like it'd be super frustrating. are there any other less strenuous playthroughs?
  • dsmx 20 Oct 2012 21:57:09 7,735 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peace Walker has the most to do of any MG game, ever. To do almost everything it's will take you a good 80 hours. Is it worth playing?

Probably yes the plot is fairly simple but it's enjoyable and most of the levels are over in 5-15 minutes so it's a good on the go game. Controls are a bit different to MGS3 since it was made with the PSP in mind but once you get used to them they are ok.

• StixxUK 24 Oct 2012 11:11:18 7,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started playing mgs3 and wondering how to put my gun away without shooting... iirc on the PS2 you had to gently take your finger off the button but controls on the Vita aren't pressure sensitive. Doesn't seem to be anything about it in the manual...
  • Zomoniac 24 Oct 2012 11:14:50 7,997 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StixxUK only way I could work out (on 2, not played 3 on Vita yet) is let go of every button except square (ie come out of first person mode and whatnot) and tap the gun icon in the corner to unequip it. It's a massive ballache for going round the front of people when holding up, was much easier with the 'analogue-ish' buttons on the DS2.
  • Neodog 24 Oct 2012 11:17:28 298 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StixxUK Press down on the D-pad to lower the gun, should do the trick.

http://www.twolittlegamers.co.uk

• Deleted user 24 October 2012 18:04:00
    MGS controls really are hilarious
  • Gregolution 7 Dec 2012 15:08:15 3,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can someone put me out of my misery. Guiding missile into the room with the president in mgs2, what / how do you blow up the power source? I can't tell what I need to drive into? Tried virtually every wall in the room to no avail

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• chessboxer 8 Dec 2012 02:06:56 250 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Can someone put me out of my misery. Guiding missile into the room with the president in mgs2, what / how do you blow up the power source? I can't tell what I need to drive into? Tried virtually every wall in the room to no avail
    It's one of the computers on the wall.

You are also probably shooting the missile into the wrong vent. There are two that lead into the room and only one get the missile at the correct height to hit the computer.

Edited by chessboxer at 02:07:30 08-12-2012
  • Gregolution 8 Dec 2012 03:37:38 3,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah didn't realise there are two vents, that must be it. Cheers mate

• Gregolution 11 Dec 2012 12:57:59 3,995 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished 2. What.... A.... Game! If only all game devs put as much love and detail into their software as Kojima, myamoto and.... What's his name from team ico, the world would be a better place.

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 13:07:07
    Fission mailed? :)
    I enjoyed 3 much more, not saying that 2 is a lesser game though.
    I wish I could find some good deal to buy the Collection, problem is I am in mainland EU.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last