of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Rhythm 1 Feb 2012 11:31:55 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So says NowGamer.

Apparently they may now run into problems being able to order new stock:

UK Retailer Game: 'Publishers To Withold New Games' - Source

Publisher credit assurance runs out for UK retailer, source tells NowGamer.

Published on Feb 1, 2012

UK high street retailer Game has "lost credit assurance with most of its publishers," meaning it won't be given stock of upcoming game releases, a source has told NowGamer.

If true, it could have a huge impact on the upcoming PS Vita launch, as well as anticipated games such as Mass Effect 3, SSX and Twisted Metal.

Game struggled over the traditionally profitable festive period last year, with year-on-year sales down 17.6 per cent in the UK and Ireland for the eight weeks ending 7 January.

Our source said Game has "lost credit assurance with most of its publishers," and "won't have stock of the upcoming releases."

The source added that there is also speculation within the company that staff's wages will be withheld in an attempt to boost the retailer's year end figures in March, with a press release set to outline the company's stance.

Two weeks ago, Game CEO Ian Shepherd recently told MCV: "We take our relationships with our partners in the industry very seriously. Without them we are nothing. And without us I think the video games industry would be a very different and much smaller place. We support each other and we have done a very good job of it over the last year."

He also conceded that Game "had a bad year financially," in 2011 and that "2012 will also be a difficult and challenging environment in which to trade."

"I donít think the consumer economy is suddenly going to turn around anytime soon," Shepherd said. "And so we will be very careful. But fundamentally the wider context is, we have a clear vision about where we are taking this business. And when I talk to investors and banks, I hear a great deal of support for that strategy."
  • Dirtbox 1 Feb 2012 11:33:46 77,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gg

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Rhythm 1 Feb 2012 11:34:03 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Lexx87 1 Feb 2012 11:34:05 20,869 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can see Game just going fully online like Zavvi.

Speak the truth hussy!

• DUFFMAN5 1 Feb 2012 11:35:18 14,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shame for staff, as this will have to have an effect somewhere down the line, as for GAME greedy fuckers, if they charged less, they would sell more and maybe pay their bills.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Popzeus 1 Feb 2012 11:36:27 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been coming for a long time. Can't say they'll be much missed.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Aretak 1 Feb 2012 11:37:03 10,345 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 1 Feb 2012 11:37:05 10,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    \o/

The sooner these bastards fold, the better. They are responsible for the shoddy state of high street gaming.
  • Dirtbox 1 Feb 2012 11:38:04 77,461 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quite looking forward to having another pound store branch on the highstreet.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• andywilkie35 1 Feb 2012 11:38:20 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Might explain why they randomly pulled MGS HD the week of release

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Popzeus 1 Feb 2012 11:38:35 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best start saving up for the liquidation stock clearance sale. I got some right bargains when Woolies went under.

/rubs hands

• Lexx87 1 Feb 2012 11:39:00 20,869 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zavvi as the same; you really want to be outside a store the moment the company folds.

Speak the truth hussy!

• binky Moderator 1 Feb 2012 11:39:06 9,410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As I said on twitoooorr, I think this is pretty devastating on the whole. Sure, as the hardcore we disagree with their prices and most of the time their staff, but these shops aren't for us. We go in there to look at stuff and scoff, and then go home and buy online.

The point is, shops like GAME have helped make the pastime we love so much a socially acceptable entertainment form. I would personally be really sad to see them disappear from our high street.
  • Rhythm 1 Feb 2012 11:39:08 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does the "Game need to charge less" argument really hold? They charge less than RRP and with the exception of Dead Island and CoD, every single release for the last 15 months was dropped to the 50% mark within a month of release. I burned through so many new games thansk to them last year
  • TheSaint 1 Feb 2012 11:39:15 14,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another empty shop on the high street.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Feb 2012 11:39:27 37,302 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, well a guy in work was lamenting this very morning that he went into Game and they wouldn't accept a pre-order on Mass Effect 3, collectors ed OR standard.

/anecdotal evidence ftw

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• binky Moderator 1 Feb 2012 11:39:57 9,410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    (PS. It's not true).
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 1 Feb 2012 11:40:29 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Might explain why they randomly pulled MGS HD the week of release
    Where'd do you hear that?

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Lexx87 1 Feb 2012 11:41:50 20,869 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it's not on their website at all if that's a tell of anything. Despite them having a preview article of it!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Popzeus 1 Feb 2012 11:43:08 8,272 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    As I said on twitoooorr, I think this is pretty devastating on the whole. Sure, as the hardcore we disagree with their prices and most of the time their staff, but these shops aren't for us. We go in there to look at stuff and scoff, and then go home and buy online.

The point is, shops like GAME have helped make the pastime we love so much a socially acceptable entertainment form. I would personally be really sad to see them disappear from our high street.
    Maybe 5 years ago, but now that role has been taken by the supermarkets. Hence why Game are in the shit.

A non-gamer looking to buy a console or a game these days can just get it with their weekly shop.

• X201 1 Feb 2012 11:43:40 15,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Best start saving up for the liquidation stock clearance sale.
    You really want a box full of pubes that bad?
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 1 Feb 2012 11:44:32 10,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Ah, well a guy in work was lamenting this very morning that he went into Game and they wouldn't accept a pre-order on Mass Effect 3, collectors ed OR standard.

/anecdotal evidence ftw
    EG staff need to break this. STAT!
  • senso-ji 1 Feb 2012 11:44:51 5,789 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone mentioned in the MGS HD thread (I think) that Game have stopped taking preorders for it, worried that it meant stock had already sold out.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 1 Feb 2012 11:46:37 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    DDevil wrote:

/anecdotal evidence ftw
    MCV has a publisher quoted as saying you won't find the new releases in store this Friday.

• Rhythm 1 Feb 2012 11:48:25 2,462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MCV's article is very mixed - stating new releases will be there but confirming the credit issues nonetheless
  • Stringer_Bell 1 Feb 2012 11:49:25 190 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was this a bad time to pre-order FFXIII-2 for the bonus stuff? I never usually shop there, but then again I never usually buy shoddy games brand new, so it was a 2 for 1 deal.

'There's no cure for being a c***' - Bronn

• spamdangled 1 Feb 2012 11:49:57 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    DDevil wrote:

/anecdotal evidence ftw
    MCV has a publisher quoted as saying you won't find the new releases in store this Friday.
    You mean WILL be in stock:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-releases-will-be-at-game-this-friday/090551

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Gartt 1 Feb 2012 11:50:56 1,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Venatio

Debunked?
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 1 Feb 2012 11:51:23 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As somebody here was saying, they probably won't go under. What will probably happen is what happened with HMV and the music and film companies - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/damianreece/9029046/HMVs-optimism-is-misplaced-as-it-retreats-on-to-a-shrinking-high-street.html

Publishers don't want GAME going under.

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 1 Feb 2012 11:53:00 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    @Venatio

Debunked?
    Weird, they've changed the headline and left in the quote about new releases not being available.

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous