Animal Crossing 3DS Page 3

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• DFawkes 6 Jun 2013 10:56:03 22,047 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing I absolutely love they've added to New Leaf is how it deals with Crazy Redd's fake painting. The fake now has a clear, visible error. For example, the fake Girl with a Pearl Earring has a red hat instead of a blue one. Some are more subtle than that, but it's great that we'll be able to tell in advance. Might even learn about the real art, too :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 12:03:02
    DFawkes wrote:
    It's more cheating in Animal Crossing than it is in Fire Emblem ;)

In Fire Emblem, it's usually because you didn't think ahead or make the right move at the right time. It can be frustrating losing a character because you made a single error of judgement.
    That is bad design then.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jun 2013 12:06:04 6,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh no you did not just say the words "bad design" and "Fire Emblem" together. Take that argument to the FE thread and see how you go. :p
  • DFawkes 6 Jun 2013 12:13:58 22,047 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

In Fire Emblem, it's usually because you didn't think ahead or make the right move at the right time. It can be frustrating losing a character because you made a single error of judgement.
    That is bad design then.
    To be fair, I tend to make a lot more than a single error of judgement in Fire Emblem. I make a mistake, then make a mistake in trying to fix that, and so on. It's a very well designed game, really. I just suck :p

But this isn't about me or how terrible I am at games, it's about gardening, town planning, authoritative moles and forged painting :)

• hypoBla5t 6 Jun 2013 12:53:48 1,263 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ...and making friends with animals ofc.
  • Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 13:09:49 5,523 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

That is bad design then.
    I'd say that was more unforgiving design, rather than bad design.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 14:48:45
    Raiko101 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

That is bad design then.
    No it's bad design. If the only way to play a tactical war game is by trial and error (which is the fucking opposite of how it should be), then it is bad design. Either that or everyone is just fucking awful at it.
  • Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 14:53:33 5,523 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

• thegofp 6 Jun 2013 14:54:30 169 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

That is bad design then.
    No it's bad design. If the only way to play a tactical war game is by trial and error (which is the fucking opposite of how it should be), then it is bad design. Either that or everyone is just fucking awful at it.
    It's intended? They give you the option to reset. They also give you the option to turn permadeath off. At no point do you have to reset the game, it's up to you how challenging you do or don't make it. You can play and complete the game without resetting, but it's incredibly hard. The designers know that players like to tackle things different ways and make allowances for it. How is that a bad thing?
  • Deleted user 6 June 2013 14:59:04
    Raiko101 wrote:
    But it's not the only way. You could be awesome at planning ahead and not dying repeatedly.
    So it is just everyone being awful at it and refusing to play better.
  • DFawkes 6 Jun 2013 14:59:13 22,047 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, Animal Crossing, eh? Can't wait to start a new town. Those first few days are the best part, settling in to the new layout, new neighbours and whatever new features there are. One review I read said you'd have to place many of the things that'd usually be random, which I'm not sure about. I quite like the fact it's random with some things.

Though properly planning the town does have a certain appeal. I'll have to wait until it's started to judge properly :)

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 15:00:08
    thegofp wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

That is bad design then.
    It's intended? They give you the option to reset. They also give you the option to turn permadeath off. At no point do you have to reset the game, it's up to you how challenging you do or don't make it. You can play and complete the game without resetting, but it's incredibly hard. The designers know that players like to tackle things different ways and make allowances for it. How is that a bad thing?
    It's only a bad thing when people play with permadeath on and then fucking reset every time they lose someone. It is beyond pointless. Especially when there is the option to turn it off.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2013 15:06:22
    Yeah sorry not the thread for this.

AC looks nice, can't imagine ever having the time for it though. Real life and all!
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Jun 2013 15:09:00 13,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chaps
    Is the game very intuitive ? I have bought this and the 3dsxl for my daughters 7th birthday, will she understand it from the off.
    Thank you.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• zoolophage 6 Jun 2013 15:09:03 947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is a rather lovely AC mini booklet in this month's edition of ONM (I read it so you don't have to). It illustrates many of the game features and is a nice souvenir if you're a big fan. Need to start thinking of what I'm going to call my town...so exciting...can't wait!

I hope Nintendo dispatch my download promptly next Friday. I may eve stay up past midnight to see if it arrives. Unheard of for me as well.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• DFawkes 6 Jun 2013 15:09:21 22,047 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a booklet? Awesome, I bought ONM on the way to work, I'll open it and read on the way home.

mowgli wrote:
    AC looks nice, can't imagine ever having the time for it though. Real life and all!
    See, that's where being so very, very desperately lonely ensures I enjoy the new AC so much more :)

:(

Edited by DFawkes at 15:11:05 06-06-2013

• zoolophage 6 Jun 2013 15:12:12 947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Yes, I would think a 7 year old will be able to get by well enough. Reading ability is required but after a day or two I'm sure she'll be loving it.

• Deleted user 6 June 2013 15:12:29
    :(
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Jun 2013 15:31:49 13,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @zoolophage

Thank you

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Raiko101 6 Jun 2013 17:41:24 5,523 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mowgli That's why I deleted my post, but you were just too quick for me!

• redcrayon 6 Jun 2013 18:19:33 4,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Excuse my ignorance, but, broadly speaking, what's the difference between AC and Harvest Moon/Rune Factory? I think I'd like to get into one of them but by the sound of it they are all total timesinks!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Jun 2013 18:27:32 36,269 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harvest Moon is more work focused for a start. In AC you just kind of... live.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• redcrayon 6 Jun 2013 19:08:08 4,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK, that sounds more like my cup of tea. Levelling up my watering can made my mundane real-life existence seem quite adventurous.
  • cheeky_prawnking 6 Jun 2013 19:16:44 3,794 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wasn't too interested in this until the review raised an eyebro, but big brother starts next week, so to avoid that this may need purchasing. Is it out next week?
  • zoolophage 6 Jun 2013 19:23:23 947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @redcrayon

Like MrTom said, Harvest Moon is a much more structured game and has a more traditional focus on progression and levelling up various things. The HM characters are much duller than the AC ones and their conversations quickly become monotonous.

That said, most HM games have an absolute ton of things to do in them and unlocking everything 100% and collecting/discovering everything may take 100+ hours. However, it very much depends which game you choose - there are good HMs and less good ones. The latest one, HM A New Beginning was released a few months ago in the US and is by all accounts very good, if you're a fan of the series. Who knows if/when it will come to the UK.

Tale of Two Towns is also very good and you can buy it easily in the UK. I imported a regular DS version a good while back rather than wait for the 3DS version.

The important thing about HM is that you have to be interested in farming/growing stuff (I have a veg patch in the back garden) and you have to not mind somewhat repetetive game play...till soil, sow seeds, water seeds, harvest plants, feed animals, etc. Much of the pleasure of HM is in the discovery of new or hidden things, a fair few of which will take quite some work to uncover. It's charming.

You will eventually reach an 'end game' state in HM where you have done most of the easy stuff and maxed out everything and have a profitable and productive farm. This may take 3 or 4 in game years, or even less if you grind and only grow the most profitable crops etc. So, HM may not have the long term legs that you're looking for. For me, it's a classic series and I eagerly await each new title in the series.

On the other hand, AC doesn't reach this end game peak quite so quickly. All told, AC has at least 1 year of daily gameplay in it (and who knows how the new improvements will extend that). AC is also a game that is much better when more than 1 person plays it. You then have a whole meta game thing going on there. HM is really single player only. AC is also more cheerful and creative, and offers the player a lot more freedom about what they want to do. HM is more like work, and AC is more like play. But in the end I guess they can both be whatever you want them to be.

• santashi 6 Jun 2013 20:22:53 4,926 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    The latest one, HM A New Beginning was released a few months ago in the US and is by all accounts very good, if you're a fan of the series. Who knows if/when it will come to the UK.
    In the third quarter of this year. :)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• zoolophage 6 Jun 2013 20:31:50 947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    The latest one, HM A New Beginning was released a few months ago in the US and is by all accounts very good, if you're a fan of the series. Who knows if/when it will come to the UK.
    Nice one...I will, however, believe it when it actually happens, given the slothful history of past releases!

• santashi 6 Jun 2013 20:36:41 4,926 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    santashi wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    Nice one...I will, however, believe it when it actually happens, given the slothful history of past releases!
    Zen United, too. ;)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• jonsaan 6 Jun 2013 20:58:16 25,248 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it out now then?
    I was a bit sad to hear that most of the age old frustrations remain. Well all of them by the sounds of things. Unskippable text every time you visit the museum, limited inventory, town gates and daft friend code stuff etc,.

BUT I love AC so I still want it.

FCUTA!

• zoolophage 6 Jun 2013 21:11:05 947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm very interested to see how visiting people's towns from all over the world is going to work out. It'd be nice to pick up items exclusive to particular regions or participate in region specific festivals (which, I think you can do, based some stuff I watched previously). Just another week to go and the game will be here! Bugs, fish, fossils, gyroids, flower breeding...good times are coming!

• Page

of 134 First / Last