Which country has the best cuisine? Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• disusedgenius 23 Jan 2012 11:17:17 5,456 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, the quote function appears to be confusingly buggered...

Personally I'm a big fan of the Cali-Mex stuff though. Though anything with Mex in it seems pretty good from the off. I really wish that pubs over here could do good nachos. :(

Talking about pubs and foods though... the sooner Tapas bars make in-roads over here the better.
  • DaM 23 Jan 2012 11:17:39 13,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    Deleted User wrote:
    Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore getting no love?! I'lm desperate to go on an eating holiday to one of them.

South Indian is excellent too, we have a grotty takeaway with chairs in Glasgow, it's amazing. I would have no problem being a veggie and eating this all the time.
    I was blown away by how good Vietnamese food was when I was there a few months ago. So tasty, fragrant, varied and fresh.
    I don't know why it's not big here (well I do, we did not take many boat people in!). I've never been to Vietnam, but spend a lot of time in the Vietnamese district when I visit Melbourne (Footscray). If I had loads of money, I would go into partership with a Vietnamese family to open a wee cafe/restaurant. Next time you are in this neck of the woods, try Asia Style at George Cross - it's authentic Singapore Chinese food, and is frequented queued out the door, despite its dingy interior (which I like :) ). Proves that there is a big demand for non-British Chinese South Asian food.

Edited by DaM at 13:09:56 23-01-2012
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2012 11:21:09 60,612 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    Personally I'm a big fan of the Cali-Mex stuff though.
    Same with cali-sushi. They have taken something that can be quite gross and westernised it enough to be paletable.

I found the sushi in japan to be largely inedible, to be honest. The definition of that place is when one of my friends asked for something vegetarian, so they gave her a bowl of rice with tiny shrimp in it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Tonka 23 Jan 2012 11:24:44 20,879 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smoovpeter wrote:
    Anyone else planning to eat their choice of country's food later?
    I just had some Chinese. Homecooked of course.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• AgeOfChaos 23 Jan 2012 11:25:38 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • AgeOfChaos 23 Jan 2012 11:29:13 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    Deleted User wrote:
    I also think that Chinese food is a tad overrated. I find it to be greasy, and quite often unhealthy. They seem to soak everything in oil.
    As others have pointed out, this is a huge simplification on your part. I guess you are talking about the Chinese food you have had in Britain? If so it will mostly have been westernized Cantonese food (which isn't very pleasant).

It's true though that they like their oil, but that's for old farts. From the time when loads of oil was a luxury.

I love Chinese food personally. Especially the dong bei, xinjiang and yunnan kitchens. (Also as others have pointed out, talking about Chinese food is like talking about European food. No such thing really)

The Chinese food I've had in Europe have been OK at best.

But if I'm allowed to include the greatest hits from all of China then yes, Chinese would be my favorite cuisine.

Otherwise it's the Florentine.
    I live in China, and have dined all over it. I actually like Chinese food a lot, but for me, it loses points for generally being greasy. And yes, I am aware that their cuisine differs from province to province.
  • caligari 23 Jan 2012 11:31:08 17,084 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have been to [insert obscure country here] - I believe that [insert obscure country] has the best cuisine in the world!
  • smoothpete 23 Jan 2012 11:33:51 31,595 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickelpistola wrote:
    Why is everyone suddenly a deleted user?

Anyway, Yeah, I might pop into oxford to get a burrito for lunch. Thats good eatin.
    From Mission Burrito? They have some NICE foods there
  • sport 23 Jan 2012 11:37:53 12,776 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    I have been to [insert obscure country here] - I believe that [insert obscure country] has the best cuisine in the world!
    You've clearly never had a Mali Bazunga Platter before!
  • AgeOfChaos 23 Jan 2012 11:39:59 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone tried Brazilian cuisine?
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Jan 2012 11:45:42 9,694 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deleted User wrote:
    Anyone tried Brazilian cuisine?
    Yes. But it has nothing to do with this thread.
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2012 11:47:45 60,612 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    suavepedro wrote:
    nickelpistola wrote:
    Why is everyone suddenly a deleted user?

Anyway, Yeah, I might pop into oxford to get a burrito for lunch. Thats good eatin.
    From Mission Burrito? They have some NICE foods there
    Yeah. They even do a cute little baby burrito for a quid for the kids. Its such a good, big wedge of food.

Also: im going to change my gamertag to el pistola.

• Ziz0u 23 Jan 2012 12:02:08 8,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had sushi at the Japanese restaurant in the Platinum mall in Thailand, and most of the stuff I had was a bit too authentic for me.... well as authentic as sushi in Thailand can be I suppose, but it was way different to the delicious sushi I can get here in South Africa which is saying something.
  • billythekid 23 Jan 2012 12:05:34 11,220 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I must say some of the meats I ate in South Africa were some of the best I've ever had.
    The steaks in particular were awesome, some of the sausages not so though :)
  • Rusty_M 23 Jan 2012 12:17:37 4,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think I could easily pick a favourite, but I loved the food when I lived in Switzerland. From a British perspective, it was lots of familiar flavours used just differently enough. Not for the lactose intolerant though

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• sirtacos 23 Jan 2012 12:23:27 7,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Japanese, French or Italian IMO.

Thai probably ranks up there, and I look forward to the day when I drive a shitty motorcycle up and down the country, sampling the food.
    Until then though, definitely Japanese or French or Italian.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jan 2012 12:23:34 8,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup. I will say South African food is some of my favorite as well :) Although there are other specialties, it's pretty much just really nice meats cooked really well on a fire that stand out, so I didn't count it as cuisine :)

When you say sausage, do you mean boerewors?
  • billythekid 23 Jan 2012 12:25:47 11,220 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup!
  • simplerotation 23 Jan 2012 12:36:49 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually really love American food (/stealth I'm a bloater), especially food from the South - catfish, fried green tomatoes, BBQ from different regions (I love Texas style but will also eat KC), tex-mex can be really delicious if done well, good fried chicken, okra, sweet potatoes, thick delicious gumbo with crawfish, oysters. I ate SO well when I was in NOLA and also when I visit my family in Austin.
    Now I'd only eat stuff like this about once a year and then have to atone by going on a big run :) But it is delicious.

I'm half indonesian and the food my mum cooked growing up and when we visited my family was fantastic, I have a massive love for south Asian food in general, I might make some soto ayam and krupuk for dinner or some peanut sauce (from scratch, not from peanut butter) and satay. :)
  • Madder-Max 23 Jan 2012 12:38:37 11,660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Anyoen who disses Sushi has no right to a food opinion.
    SAushi is addictive. i have it every day now (The rice raw fish stuff). Have not been to a sushi bar though. should try it.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• dutchspeededup 23 Jan 2012 12:43:34 4,552 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Italy.

Honourable mention to the Japanese.
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Jan 2012 12:51:36 9,694 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not tried Sushi yet, need to fix this soon but I am currently of the mind that I wont enjoy it.

Edited by L_Franko at 12:51:58 23-01-2012
  • disusedgenius 23 Jan 2012 12:54:01 5,456 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'll ruin most cooked fish for you. There's just so much more flavour in there raw (presuming you have good fish, obv).
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2012 12:55:19 60,612 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Western sushi is lovely. japanese sushi is a bit gross. Same with sashimi.

• Deleted user 23 January 2012 13:00:11
    Probably iltalian - my mum as a great book called la cucina and some of the recipes in there are fantastic. They have a massive variety. But going to a proper italian restraunt is awesome.

And italian/french delicatessens are awesome.

And probably Indian, again rich in ingredients, and very interesting and rich in variety.

I really want to go to america, in the south and try some soul food etc

To be honest, i'm keen for anything, wish there more authentic restraunts, not just british- indian/chinese etc.

I'm quite lucky that both my mum and dad are foodies and love to cook.
  • sirtacos 23 Jan 2012 13:13:41 7,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good call with the Indian vote. But then you'll get people saying that just as 'Chinese' food doesn't exist, neither does 'Indian', which is fair enough considering the massive size of both.
  • DaM 23 Jan 2012 13:15:15 13,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    It'll ruin most cooked fish for you. There's just so much more flavour in there raw (presuming you have good fish, obv).
    Nothing better than slices of raw salmon or tuna dipped in soy sauce. That was always the first thing I had to take my wife in hospital after having a baby. And raw beef.
  • spamdangled 23 Jan 2012 13:19:02 27,413 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    SAushi is addictive. i have it every day now (The rice raw fish stuff). Have not been to a sushi bar though. should try it.
    The stuff you get from the sandwich section of your supermarket isn't sushi.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• DaM 23 Jan 2012 13:20:40 13,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    The stuff you get from the sandwich section of your supermarket isn't sushi.
    Unless it's Wholefoods. But then it's 8 a tray.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last