Megaupload Shut Down, 6 Arrests. Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• MrDigital 19 Jan 2012 20:48:17 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Whether you agree with guys hosting or not, it is horrific that the US is arresting these individuals. If countries want to support these crackdowns then they should be chasing these people down themselves. To allow the Americans to operate beyond their borders in this way is pretty fucking scary.
    It's draconian and it's turning into a mindless witch hunt.
    This is true, but I don't get how it's happening. In an anti-SOPA video I watched recently, it claimed that the internet industry in terms of wealth is many, many folds greater than the entertainment industry, yet the entertainment industry seems to wield an incredible amount of power and sway. Clearly I don't understand something...

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• funkstar 19 Jan 2012 20:49:11 1,194 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    I'm curious how easily the US managed to shut it down and arrest these people. It's a Hong Kong based business, and those involved lived in New Zealand, but the FBI were able to swiftly arrest these people and shut down the site, as opposed to just having it blocked to certain people.

Very impressive, and slightly scary at the same time...
    they had some servers in virginia in the US, which gave the US jurisdiction, FBI then got in touch with local NZ police to get them to make the arrests

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Khanivor 19 Jan 2012 20:50:50 40,390 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    This is true, but I don't get how it's happening. In an anti-SOPA video I watched recently, it claimed that the internet industry in terms of wealth is many, many folds greater than the entertainment industry, yet the entertainment industry seems to wield an incredible amount of power and sway. Clearly I don't understand something...
    I think the internet's wealth is spread around lots and lots of people and separate companies. The entertainment industry has consolidation itself into just a handful of operators, making it much easier and more efficient to lobby/buy government.
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 20:51:49
    Geesh wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Whether you agree with guys hosting or not, it is horrific that the US is arresting these individuals. If countries want to support these crackdowns then they should be chasing these people down themselves. To allow the Americans to operate beyond their borders in this way is pretty fucking scary.
    It's draconian and it's turning into a mindless witch hunt.
    The Internet is still relatively new in comparison to the entertainment industry. Not had the time to establish as deep roots in the political system as the entertainment industry.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 20:55:01 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Old money and influential, old friends.

It'll be different in 20 years when they're dead and gone and the 30 somethings are in charge, but we've got to suffer the idiocy of these incompetent, corrupt old fucks for a while yet.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:59:09 19-01-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Khanivor 19 Jan 2012 21:00:05 40,390 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They will be replaced by people who are 30 something now. they will be lobbying the government to allow them own the rights to every person on the planet.

That's assuming there still are governments in 20 years. Perhaps the facade will have been abandoned by then.
  • FWB 19 Jan 2012 21:02:32 43,826 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really wish I could live for ever. I so want to see the world in a 100 years. Not saying it'll be better or worse, but it'll mind blowing, that's for sure.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:02:38 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Illegally host other peoples copyrighted material on your website and you'll get arrested. It's pretty simple really and I don't think anyone can whinge too much when they finally get caught. Do the crime, do the time.

I enjoy hearing people talk about the entertainment industry as if its some kind of 'big brother' all encompassing evil being for trying to protect what it owns. Morals go out of the window when people want to watch a free film it seems.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:03:51 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    They will be replaced by people who are 30 something now. they will be lobbying the government to allow them own the rights to every person on the planet.

That's assuming there still are governments in 20 years. Perhaps the facade will have been abandoned by then.
    I think there's currently a big backlash towards the iron fisted monopolistic approach and what we're seeing here are the final moments of these self styled mega corps that are run almost exclusively by lawyers.

It's a kind of coup d'état that's taking place in the media rather than on the streets.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:05:04 19-01-2012

• senso-ji 19 Jan 2012 21:06:46 5,791 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find it incredible that in 2012 the MPAA are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on lobbying politicians to to try and curb the use of technology amongst the masses instead of taking advantage of it.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:07:25 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They hate what they don't understand.

• ecureuil 19 Jan 2012 21:07:46 76,503 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The timing of this can't be coincidence.

They're sending out a massive Fuck You to anyone who opposed SOPA yesterday. They're letting us know that we can protest all we want, but our opinions don't matter. It's not legal btw, and nor does it have to be. Servers in Virginia? It's a load of bullshit as far as I'm concerned, let's see how many people believe it. There were documents released recently which showed how America threatened to block trade with Spain unless they passed a SOPA-like file sharing law, and they sure as hell aren't the only country America has tried to push around.

Can see some real serious shit kicking off in America in my lifetime. Their citizens will take up arms against the US government at this rate, they're being pushed more and more.
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 21:07:49
    I hope no one is kidding themselves that the Internet tycoons won't be doing the exact same in 40 years time.
  • FWB 19 Jan 2012 21:09:08 43,826 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The internet "tycoons" won't be able to in 40 years.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:09:24 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I find it incredible that in 2012 the MPAA are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on lobbying politicians to to try and curb the use of technology amongst the masses instead of taking advantage of it.
    I think they are trying to curb the use of technology for illegal activities such as watching a film/playing a game you haven't purchased. As for taking advantage of it, I would point you towards BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Lovefilm, Netflix as ways owners of this material are embracing technology.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• steoc4 19 Jan 2012 21:09:27 1,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Illegally host other peoples copyrighted material on your website and you'll get arrested. It's pretty simple really and I don't think anyone can whinge too much when they finally get caught. Do the crime, do the time.

I enjoy hearing people talk about the entertainment industry as if its some kind of 'big brother' all encompassing evil being for trying to protect what it owns. Morals go out of the window when people want to watch a free film it seems.
    I was going to say something similar. It's not about the entertainment industry being 'more powerful' than the internet industry. It's about the entertainment industry's survival being threatened by flagrant theft that the internet industry facilitates. If Colombia pictures were handing out google's IP I'm sure Google would be running to court too.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:10:17 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I hope no one is kidding themselves that the Internet tycoons won't be doing the exact same in 40 years time.
    Certainly not, this shit happens in cycles and will continue to until we start to realise that you can't contain people in a bubble.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:10:36 19-01-2012

• INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:12:10 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thats right people! Its all a conspiracy by governments and shadowy like figures who are trying to breach your human rights by not allowing you to share illegal files. It is NOT about people who have invested millions of pounds into something trying to protect it from thieves. Albeit hamfistedly. :champ:

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:14:12 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not only that, it's also trying to continue to get them to buy exclusively from you as well. You're missing the bigger picture somewhat.

Simply put, you can't have your cake and eat it.

• senso-ji 19 Jan 2012 21:15:13 5,791 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    I think they are trying to curb the use of technology for illegal activities such as watching a film/playing a game you haven't purchased. As for taking advantage of it, I would point you towards BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Lovefilm, Netflix as ways owners of this material are embracing technology.
    Those technologies are all supplementing the 100 year old Hollywood system of Cinema first, then spread the film out to other methods afterwards. It's an old fashioned system that has been usurped by modern day technology.

Why don't Hollywood, for example, release films online simultaneously with Cinema releases? Or produce small budget films that are released online only, or have a portal on the web that lets users sign up and access extra features? Spend money on giving extra value to the customer by giving them options. Look at ebooks as an example of how you can publish work using modern day methods alongside older ones and still make money.
  • ecureuil 19 Jan 2012 21:15:52 76,503 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:

Yeah it's not the point though.

MegaUpload never endorsed piracy. In fact, they actively removed any copyrighted material and complied with every takedown request for pirated material. They're no different to YouTube, which is mysteriously still working.
  • FWB 19 Jan 2012 21:16:57 43,826 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Once home movie tech gets to the equivalent level of music production now, this will all be a moot point. Hollywood will disappear.

Edited by FWB at 21:19:23 19-01-2012
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:18:50 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    steoc4 wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:

I was going to say something similar. It's not about the entertainment industry being 'more powerful' than the internet industry. It's about the entertainment industry's survival being threatened by flagrant theft that the internet industry facilitates. If Colombia pictures were handing out google's IP I'm sure Google would be running to court too.

The problem is we are breeding a generation of people who think it is acceptable to steal something so long as its off the internet and so long as its not a physical object. This kind of self entitlement and misguided anger at governments and copyright holders will continue generation after generation, people will fight any kind of net censorship and ultimately destroy the game and film industry, much like what has happened to the music industry, until Apple came along. Netflix and the like are now offering people all the films they want for £6.99 a month yet piracy is rife because it is seen as socially acceptable. Children with R4 cards and copied films are being taught that it is OK to steal, so why should they pay?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Machetazo 19 Jan 2012 21:21:16 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For people to be able to support content (and in the process, providers), it has to be released and readily available. Several times lately, I've found I've had to import things I'd perfectly happy to buy direct, or "new", but the outcome of that is that the makers still probably won't see a penny of the money paid, but I have bought it.

While the licenses are tied up in antiquated region-designated manner from a two tier broadcast standard, that's largely out-of-use, they the publishers can be preventing me from being able to support them in the way they ask.
    I can choose to buy from an import shop, that's an option. I can choose as another remedy, to not enjoy or watch that content at all, that's another possibility.
    But, crucially, there is NO remedy available where a service is provided, that I can access and enjoy, in return for their financial profit. How's that sustainable, and why aren't the pro camp taking measures to facilitate the smooth flow of content, to people?

Edited by Machetazo at 21:25:03 19-01-2012
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:22:13 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No we're not, we're breeding a generation of people who know when they're getting shafted by unreasonable business practices.

• INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:22:20 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:
    Those technologies are all supplementing the 100 year old Hollywood system of Cinema first, then spread the film out to other methods afterwards. It's an old fashioned system that has been usurped by modern day technology.

Why don't Hollywood, for example, release films online simultaneously with Cinema releases? Or produce small budget films that are released online only, or have a portal on the web that lets users sign up and access extra features? Spend money on giving extra value to the customer by giving them options. Look at ebooks as an example of how you can publish work using modern day methods alongside older ones and still make money.
    What, you mean like Sony? Who offer Blu ray, DVD AND Download copies of their films all in one package? Or film streaming services that allow you to watch your purchases on multiple systems? Why should they suddenly start to release films on DVD and at the cinema at the same time? So they can finally kill of the already struggling Cinemas?

It really doesnt matter what they do because people will always steal, what kind of 'features' are they going to offer online that are going to make a film more attractive after you've already seen it?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• MrDigital 19 Jan 2012 21:23:08 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Once home movie tech gets to the equivalent level of music production is now, this will all be a moot point. Hollywood will disappear.
    Years on from now, I might have to eat my words when I say this, but I doubt it will ever get to that stage, not in the foreseeable future at least. I'm guessing the tools are already available for those of us who can spend £2000 on a supremely powerful computer, but the problem would be the complexity of doing it. Although artistically a lot of people would argue that music can be just as complex (if not more so) as making say for example a CGI film, on a realistic level, it really isn't.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• INSOMANiAC 19 Jan 2012 21:23:21 3,829 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No we're not, we're breeding a generation of people who know when they're getting shafted by unreasonable business practices.
    Such as?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• ecureuil 19 Jan 2012 21:23:42 76,503 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    The problem is we are breeding a generation of people who think it is acceptable to steal something so long as its off the internet and so long as its not a physical object.
    You do realise that's what they want you think, right?
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 21:24:41 77,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Such as buying a movie for £30 and being forced to sit through 10 minutes of being told how being a thief is bad.

Such as not being able to play a game on your computer because you don't have a constant connection to the internet.

Etc.

• Page

of 9 First / Last