Kodak files for bankruptcy

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 13:13:43
    Makes me sad. I was always an Ilford and Fuji man when it came to film but it's a great shame that the great democratisers of photography can no longer survive in the modern market.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... ews&rpc=71
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 13:15:00
    Mental, did they not look into other avenues?
  • Goban 19 Jan 2012 13:17:18 9,051 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not usually one to mourn the passing of big companies but this does sadden me.
  • nickthegun 19 Jan 2012 13:18:05 58,784 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just bought a kodak printer the other week, funnily enough. Great printer, really cheap ink.

Its not surprising they (and the likes of olympus) are struggling, though. Ive just come back from disneyland and at a rough guess, probably 70% (pessimistically) of people were taking photos on smart phones, myself included.

Seems like the only part of the market making money is prosumer and high end vanity photography.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 19 Jan 2012 13:20:01 58,784 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, they filed for bankruptcy protection, not bankruptcy.

He totally called it

• X201 19 Jan 2012 13:22:25 15,132 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Mental, did they not look into other avenues?
    Yes, but much, much too late.
  • Grump 19 Jan 2012 13:24:05 1,180 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 13:26:29
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, they filed for bankruptcy protection, not bankruptcy.
    Ahh, misleading headlines abound then.

Grauniad article: https://bitly.com/AjBP6v

They have 18 months and a $950m credit line, I could probably stay afloat for that long with a cool billion, but whether Kodak can turn it around... I hope so.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 13:28:09 77,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh man, that's huge.

They're one of those names that we all grew up with, but thinking about it, their market has almost entirely dried up. To think they were reduced to making little photo printers to print out your iphone snaps.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 19 Jan 2012 13:29:12 58,784 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mystic Dirtbox reveals the exact reason why I bought one.

He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 19 Jan 2012 13:35:38 39,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Re-structuring....not bankrupt yet.

They announced this a few weeks ago, this is I guess just part of the process.

They aren't dead...yet

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 19 January 2012 13:36:37
    Come to think of it, that last thing kodak branded I used was a calibration strip on an imagesetter nearly 8 years ago 0_o
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 13:41:18
    I think the last Kodak thing I used was some Tri-x film about 15 years ago.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 13:41:57 77,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Mystic Dirtbox reveals the exact reason why I bought one.
    Print this out.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:28:17 19-01-2012

• henro_ben 19 Jan 2012 15:13:46 2,211 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They've been in trouble for quite some time though, will be interesting to see what they come up with but I'm not convinced that digital printing will save it...

Interesting article on The Economist comparing Kodak and Fujifilm.
  • senso-ji 19 Jan 2012 15:16:14 5,791 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bankruptcy protection is very ominous, even if the company hasn't gone under yet. Good luck to them, as a large company they never seemed to reach the levels of megalomania as others.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Jan 2012 15:19:40 39,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They'll recover. They're going to shed a shit load of excess first though and that's going to hurt.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 19 Jan 2012 15:24:55 86,344 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In. Fire 50% of the work-force. New logo. Out.
  • mal 19 Jan 2012 15:45:48 22,336 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This was predicted by someone cleverer than me a few weeks back. I didn't see it personally - I thought they'd still have enough relevant patents to help keep them in the black.

Still, bankrupcy there is not what it is here. The receivers haven't been called in, there's be no cheap cameras in the skips. They've applied for chapter 11 protection which iirc gets creditors off their back while they sort shit out.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• President_Weasel 19 Jan 2012 16:18:28 8,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Their problem is they don't have much shit to sort out. Photo printers are a pretty niche market, mostly for old folks who think photos should be something you can hold in your hand. Personally I far prefer digital copies of photos that I can store on a PC and look at whenever I like. They might be able to restructure into a, much smaller, photo printer making company, but not without making swathes of people redundant.
    They've got some patents they seem to think can help them, but it seems like rather a faint hope, and patent trolling isn't a business model that helps the people working in their factories or the vast majority of their suits.
  • kalel 19 Jan 2012 16:23:17 86,344 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still think thereís an ideal device thatís yet to be invented for viewing digital pictures. Ipads are the best solution yet but itís a hell of an expensive way to do it.

The fact is most people into digital photography have got thousands of pictures on their computer that they never look at, and Iím fairly sure the right kind of viewing device would open up some good business for a company like Kodak.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 16:28:13 77,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Holding patents doesn't mean you can make a business model out of being a patent troll, it means you can partner with someone bigger than you who can make use of the patents on an industrial scale.

• dominalien 19 Jan 2012 16:32:53 6,835 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing with those pics people have on their hdds is that they're not worth viewing and even those people wouldn't want to look at them.

The device you're describing would sort photos automatically and show only the "good" ones. That's not happening right now.

PSN: DonOsito

• spindle9988 19 Jan 2012 16:54:44 3,492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can we still use the phrase: that was a kodak moment?
  • kalel 19 Jan 2012 17:01:22 86,344 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    The thing with those pics people have on their hdds is that they're not worth viewing and even those people wouldn't want to look at them.

The device you're describing would sort photos automatically and show only the "good" ones. That's not happening right now.
    Well, I'm into photography and put my "good" photos on flickr, and have a good few hundred up there that I'd like to view in a more accessible and leisurely way than sitting in front of my computer.

I do have an ipad and I do use it to look at my photos, but I stil think there's a bit of a gap there.

If digital photo frames where a bit less clunky and shit that would maybe do it. If for example there was such a thing as a digital photo frame that was linked wirelessly to my flickr account and seamlessly showed images from my photo-stream without me ever fucking about with memory cards, then that would be pretty cool.

Actually it's possible this exists. Been a while since I checked to see what the latest digital photo frames did.
  • roz123 19 Jan 2012 17:04:33 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can get quite a variety these days, saw a lot of keyring digital photo frames amongst the gadgets this christmas but they were obviously not great quality.
  • President_Weasel 19 Jan 2012 17:05:08 8,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Holding patents doesn't mean you can make a business model out of being a patent troll, it means you can partner with someone bigger than you who can make use of the patents on an industrial scale.
    Oh indeed, but at the moment their CEO appears to be pinning his hopes on suing HTC and Apple for "infringing" one or more of their patents and making enough money that way to keep the company staggering on.
    Patent trolling.
  • X201 19 Jan 2012 17:05:43 15,132 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The facial recogntion stuff in Photoshop is great.
    It automatically recognises and tags members of my family now.

Gets a bit confused by side-on shots etc. But hits the mark most of the time and saves me the hassle.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jan 2012 17:11:35 77,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Oh indeed, but at the moment their CEO appears to be pinning his hopes on suing HTC and Apple for "infringing" one or more of their patents and making enough money that way to keep the company staggering on.
    Patent trolling.
    You're thinking of Sony and Apple.

• mrpon 19 Jan 2012 17:18:32 28,437 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    If for example there was such a thing as a digital photo frame that was linked wirelessly to my flickr account and seamlessly showed images from my photo-stream without me ever fucking about with memory cards, then that would be pretty cool.
    Yeah I've got an Archos Android 7" tablet that does exactly this on the stock PhotoFrame app. Can take feeds from Flickr, Picasa, Facebook and photos from local media servers, NAS, micro SD card etc.. It has a built in stand so almost doubles as a digital photo frame.

It is pretty cool! I'm sure it's not just an Android thing.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous