Bridge Camera or DSLR

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • GREASYL0VER 16 Jan 2012 08:06:03 127 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm searching through the forum on my iPhone and can't find anything on the Fuji FinePix HS20EXR "bridge camera".

My wife currently has a Panasonic Lumix 10MP compact camera (can't remember the model number but it's two or three years old now), however I would like to purchase a "better" camera ideally for taking family shots, nice pictures on holiday, country walks that kind of thing.

I've seen the HS20EXR for as low as £160 (with code) as a refurb but would be willing to pay up to £200. The question I have is are there any DSLR's I could get for a similar price or am I limiting myself at that price range?

From what I've read the HS20EXR is about the best camera you can buy without going the whole DSLR hog.

Any relevant thoughts / suggestions appreciated.
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Jan 2012 09:17:04 1,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unfortunately you are very limited on price. Wouldn't be able to afford a reasonably fast DSLR body, let alone the important bits...the lenses.

For that price the Fuji is the best you will get. Even has some features many DSLRs can't match but image quality and noise will not be as impressive. Don't be put off though, unless you are planning on printing posters the pictures will be more than satisfying for general use.
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Jan 2012 09:31:59 1,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One little thing, do you really need the huge zoom the Fuji will give you? If it's just for family/holiday stuff a good quality compact might be better, especially in lower light.

Could probably pick up a S90/95, LX5 or XZ-1 for around 200 these days and while they won't give you an OMGWTF zoom they are incredibly capable for their size.
  • GREASYL0VER 16 Jan 2012 10:58:23 127 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ecosse_011172 - cost, can't spend much more than what I stated above.

@therealbadabing - our Lumix is quite a good compact, so I'm trying to go to the next level. I might get more into it and start taking picture of the moon which everyone with that camera seems to do!

Thanks for the comments though!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next