Internet Speed Envy Page 8

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

  • Nitrous 19 Mar 2014 13:00:59 357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago


    That's the wired connection. Over WiFi its 34 down and 18 upload
    BT Infinty 2.

    Much better than the standard broadband that was a max of 10mb/s down and not even 1mb/s upload.

    Edited by Nitrous at 13:02:34 19-03-2014

    Edited by Nitrous at 13:02:54 19-03-2014
  • Deckard1 19 Mar 2014 13:03:29 27,558 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would have sex with you right now if I could.

    Hush you ponce

  • Armoured_Bear 19 Mar 2014 13:04:01 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    We started with the "new remotes" here as far as I know. They have a fulll qwerty keyboard on the back.

    Largely pointless but useful for if you want to edit network settings. Speaking of which my internet had to be de consolidated from the box as I use all the ethernet ports and my NAS appeared to be causing audio issues on live TV - horrific stuttering so be aware if you are planning on connecting things directly.

    Overall the hardware should perform way better than it does but it seems to be really poorly optimised firmware and a badly designed UI.
    Didn't they add some buttons that were insanely missing from the first remote too?
    How much noise does the box make?

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Zizoo 26 Mar 2014 13:47:24 8,230 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Going from 1mb to 2mb tomorrow. That's DOUBLE.

    :cool:










    :cry:
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2014 23:03:22 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • mikew1985 22 Apr 2014 23:06:10 12,645 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    We started with the "new remotes" here as far as I know. They have a fulll qwerty keyboard on the back.

    Largely pointless but useful for if you want to edit network settings. Speaking of which my internet had to be de consolidated from the box as I use all the ethernet ports and my NAS appeared to be causing audio issues on live TV - horrific stuttering so be aware if you are planning on connecting things directly.

    Overall the hardware should perform way better than it does but it seems to be really poorly optimised firmware and a badly designed UI.
    Didn't they add some buttons that were insanely missing from the first remote too?
    How much noise does the box make?
    Only seeing this now but it's quite noisy to be honest. Certainly audible on boot up and generates quite a lot of heat.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2014 23:27:29 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    We started with the "new remotes" here as far as I know. They have a fulll qwerty keyboard on the back.

    Largely pointless but useful for if you want to edit network settings. Speaking of which my internet had to be de consolidated from the box as I use all the ethernet ports and my NAS appeared to be causing audio issues on live TV - horrific stuttering so be aware if you are planning on connecting things directly.

    Overall the hardware should perform way better than it does but it seems to be really poorly optimised firmware and a badly designed UI.
    Didn't they add some buttons that were insanely missing from the first remote too?
    How much noise does the box make?
    Only seeing this now but it's quite noisy to be honest. Certainly audible on boot up and generates quite a lot of heat.
    I'll stick with the digicard then, cheers.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Dairyfree 22 Apr 2014 23:36:52 1,133 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    How much does it cost for those speeds in swissland?
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2014 23:39:48 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    How much does it cost for those speeds in swissland?
    For Internet and the full Cable deal it's CHF92 per month (around 60 quid)

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Dairyfree 22 Apr 2014 23:45:18 1,133 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'd pay it for those speeds.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2014 23:48:22 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    I'd pay it for those speeds.
    Taking into account high wages it's pretty good value IMO.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • neilka 22 Apr 2014 23:54:09 15,805 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Plus under Swiss law the police aren't allowed to monitor your internet activity.

    Just saying.
  • Ranger_Ryu 23 Apr 2014 00:14:33 1,046 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames

    complain to Ofcom.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Apr 2014 12:03:34 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bah, the in wall ethernet in my new flat only supports 100Mbit/s :-(

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • munki83 24 Apr 2014 12:19:10 1,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm moving to a new flat on Friday, its not far from my current place but will be going from 25mb connection to 8...its going to hurt.
  • PhoenixFlames 24 Apr 2014 15:00:39 8,942 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now on radio broadband (antenna on the roof) and getting 23Mbps d/l and 2Mbps u/l.

    That'll do me. Thank goodness. 3 months without internet was painful, especially as I like to work from home a lot.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • mikew1985 24 Apr 2014 15:08:49 12,645 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My latest test over wireless N in my apartment.

    Getting almost full speed over WiFi.
    This new router seems to work.

    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3459209943.png
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Apr 2014 15:24:55 10,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    My latest test over wireless N in my apartment.

    Getting almost full speed over WiFi.
    This new router seems to work.

    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3459209943.png
    That's impressive over wi-fi, how far are you from the router?

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • mikew1985 24 Apr 2014 16:21:00 12,645 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a Netgear nighthawk AC1900 router so it has a lot of wireless bandwidth. I'm at the other end of the room from the router with my laptop (plugged in) but even on the crappy dongle in my desktop at the other end of the apartment over wireless N it's getting around 150Mbps.

    Can't wait for the AC dongles to drop in price a bit, should be able to utilise the full 200Mbps of my connection then. My wireless has now finally surpassed the Homeplug speeds.
  • X201 24 Apr 2014 16:59:45 15,219 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Virgin even faster upgrade keeps increasing in size :)

    The date I'll get it keeps getting further away :(

    Edited by X201 at 16:59:57 24-04-2014
  • mrpon 24 Apr 2014 18:02:13 28,686 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone with plus.net had a moan recently? Might drop them an email and see what I can get.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • RyanDS 2 May 2014 07:28:03 9,154 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck I hate BT and their fucking stupid ridiculous monopoloy in this fucking country.

    6 fucking months to get a phone line installed thanks to a whole series of fuck ups by the useless cunts, and finally yesterday they got the phone line installed and offered me 2.5meg broadband.

    In a new build house, about 20 metres from the exchange. And they charge the same price as a 15 meg line.

    Told them to take the phone line and fuck off. Only reason I wanted a fucking phone line was so that they could get me internet, and there is no point in even having internet, especially at 35 a month when it is a fucking dial up speed.

    So back to square one. No working from home and coming into the office on the weekend for the foreseeable future.
  • iancognito 2 May 2014 08:29:18 1,144 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that an artificially lower speed? Have you tried someone like Sky on one of their Unlimited packages? That close to the exchange you'd be getting 16 meg, maybe.
  • Deckard1 2 May 2014 08:45:56 27,558 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Everyone gets charged the same regardless of speed, the same as any other provider. You're not 20 metres away from the exchange if you're only getting 2 meg, you'll be at least 5 - 6km away from it. The exchange is not the little green cabinet btw. And most of the bb packages are around 15 quid a month, I'm assuming you're including the cost of your landline as well?

    Hush you ponce

  • munki83 2 May 2014 08:56:23 1,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Getting about 8mb in my new flat. The cabinet is just round the corner to me unfortunately about 100m away from that cabinet is a fibre cabinet. So the people across the street get 80mb....I hate them
  • Deleted user 2 May 2014 09:11:54
    @mrpon I have, it's fucking dreadful. Uploads are consistently between 15-18meg but downloads vary between 5 and 70. It's a tad stupid to be paying for a service that should be 7x faster than my previous ADSL provider when in fact I seem to be getting half that speed

    Things improved after I complained earlier this week but dropped off again last night when a Steam download seemed to max out at 20meg >:-(
  • RyanDS 2 May 2014 09:28:00 9,154 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Everyone gets charged the same regardless of speed, the same as any other provider. You're not 20 metres away from the exchange if you're only getting 2 meg, you'll be at least 5 - 6km away from it. The exchange is not the little green cabinet btw. And most of the bb packages are around 15 quid a month, I'm assuming you're including the cost of your landline as well?
    That explains it. And yes I include the cost of the phone as the only point of having a phone is to get Internet. It is a fucking disgrace. Checked online and we are 1.4 miles from the exchange add the crow flies. Guess I will just have to get used to no internet.
  • mrpon 2 May 2014 09:42:37 28,686 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rhythm yup, that's my experience, with slightly lower figures as well! I'm paying for fibre but it's essentially no different to my previous non-fibre connection.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Dougs 2 May 2014 09:48:40 67,015 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RyanDS It'll come down to whether your cabinet has been enabled for fibre, which I assume it hasn't. It will most likely in good time (check out your council to see where they're at with their upgrade programme). In the mean time, it's 3.5Mbps or fuck all. And I know what I'd prefer....
  • Deckard1 2 May 2014 09:50:04 27,558 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    2.5 really isn't that bad. It's certainly usable for most things.

    Hush you ponce

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

Log in or register to reply