Douglas Adams is having a birthday party!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • boo 13 Jan 2012 15:26:40 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Almost on my birthday too!

Cool!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Rhythm 13 Jan 2012 15:46:32 2,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you go would you mind stabbing the fuck out of Jon Culshaw for me? Much appreciated
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Jan 2012 15:50:37 10,852 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might go along to this. Seen the Uncaged Monkeys before. Very funny and intellectual at the same time.
  • boo 13 Jan 2012 15:51:10 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course. Consider it done.

F*&%^*g HMV.

2 x £30 for tickets. Ok, fair enough.
    2 x £3.75 booking fee. I'm making one booking!!!

But the piece de resistance...

A £1.00 delivery fee. Fair enough, they've got to get a stamp and an envel...

£1.00 delivery fee for emailing the frigging tickets!!

Zarking Fardwarks!

Just Another Lego Blog

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 15:51:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tickets booked!* \o/ Thanks boo.

*website made me cry though, had to use my debit card as mastercard causing spasm

And yes, stupid bloody charges!

Edited by localnotail at 15:52:19 13-01-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lexx87 13 Jan 2012 15:54:41 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm...is this a seated watch the stage event?

Only arse tickets are left if so.

Speak the truth hussy!

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 16:00:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seemed to suggest standing but there are definite seat numbers (I am in Block 2, row J)

• Lexx87 13 Jan 2012 16:01:31 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know it's confusing me, the only blocks on sale are 1-5 (right at the back upstairs in the circle). so have all the others sold out, or is it just applying a seat number as that's how they do it and it's not a sit down event.

Speak the truth hussy!

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 16:05:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I honestly don't know - but I would imagine it's seated - maybe the lower area is all already sold out?

• Lexx87 13 Jan 2012 16:08:48 20,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shame...they must have been on sale a good while I guess if so. I'd have gone but i'm a seat fussy, crammed all the way up there I wouldn't enjoy myself!

Speak the truth hussy!

• boo 13 Jan 2012 16:09:26 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No idea - I just randomly plumped for block 3.

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 13 Jan 2012 16:12:26 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BBC look like they only ran the story today, so I'm not sure how long tickets have been available.

Just Another Lego Blog

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 16:35:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:
    No idea - I just randomly plumped for block 3.
    I will wave at you from Block 2

• boo 13 Jan 2012 16:43:47 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool!

I'll be the guy who looks like a more-handsome Hugh Jackman*.

*may not be entirely accurate

Just Another Lego Blog

• localnotail 13 Jan 2012 16:49:39 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :) OK, I'll be the one that looks like she's smuggled a cat in up her jumper*

*may be more accurate than you imagine

• localnotail 11 Mar 2012 00:17:22 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who is coming to this tomorrow then? Just boo & me? Not Brian Cox, unfortunately, who had to go back to Australia to film apparently :( We have Simon Singh as a replacement though, he's ok.

I will be wearing a green top and sporting this season's must-have accessory: a 70 year old man. If you see me, why not come & say hi? But please don't ask my Dad about F-ing anyone UTA.

• localnotail 11 Mar 2012 09:18:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why? Would you rather celebrate their life on the anniversary of their death? He is greatly missed. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Zhugie 11 Mar 2012 15:18:09 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Forgot I had tickets for this till Friday but I'm going to be there. Feel free to say hi to the tall man in block three wearing an overly zippered brown hoodie
  • localnotail 12 Mar 2012 00:26:22 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed this. OK, the Footlights humour was undergraduate, bit hey. Properly choked up & had to hang onto my Dad for a bit when Gilmour came out and played Wish You Were Here.

I think boo was 2 people ahead of me in the queue but wasn't sure enough to pounce. If it was, Mrs boo is a fox.

Happy Birthday Douglas, wish you were (still) here.

• boo 12 Mar 2012 00:35:55 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This was an excellent evening!
    Some of the old Footlights-era Adams sketches weren't all that funny, but showed flashes of the genius that was to come later.
    Culshaw doing Brian Cox and Patick Moore was good, as was the Tom Baker skit later.
    The Heebie-Jeebies (spoof Bee Gees trio) were hilarious.
    Simon Singh & Robin Ince were great. Helen Keen was interesting, if not a little manic.
    Clive Anderson chatting to Terry Jones and Sanjeev Bhaskar was entertaining, as was John Lloyd's 'Meaning of Liff' section (Dunstable : a retired constable! \o/ )

And the music at the end was great. Robbie McIntosh, Gary Brooker and David Gilmour - legends one and all.

Best thirty quid I've spent in a while.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 12 March 2012 00:38:55
    Sounds like a good evening. Any idea if it was filmed for potential DVDage/TVage later? I suspect not as ultimately that would be for commercial reasons, which may be somewhat crass.
  • boo 12 Mar 2012 00:39:12 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How odd!
    Was looking out for pregnant persons, but didn't see any.
    I was in shorts, with odd socks and a grey hoodie with a brown rucksack. Mrs Boo is indeed a fox!

Just Another Lego Blog

• localnotail 12 Mar 2012 00:48:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had no real idea what you look like, but that description fits. I don't look very pregnant yet. Ah well, glad you enjoyed it, as did we. Dad was frustrated by the people leaving but they did over-run by almost an hour so I imagine there may have been trains to catch. Felt sorry for them missing out on the end. Whiter Shade of Pale with original keyboard and vocals, supported by Dave Gilmour? Outstanding.

It was filmed for the purposes of the audience screens but I've no idea if they would try to make anything of it for broadcast. It wasn't exactly polished, but it was enthusiastic, smart and funny. Like the man himself.

Edited by localnotail at 01:10:44 12-03-2012

• souvlaki 12 Mar 2012 14:19:43 717 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I’d gotten the time of the train wrong. I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of cookies. I went and sat at a table. I want you to picture the scene. It’s very important that you get this very clear in your mind. Here’s the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of cookies. There’s a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase. It didn’t look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of cookies, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There’s nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your cookies. You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know… But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do aclue in the newspaper, couldn’t do anything, and thought, What am I going to do?

In the end I thought Nothing for it, I’ll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a cookie for myself. I thought, That settled him. But it hadn’t because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another cookie. Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. “Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice…” I mean, it doesn’t really work.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight cookies, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away. Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and st back.

A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies. The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who’s had the same exact story, only he doesn’t have the punch line. "
  • neilka 12 Mar 2012 14:36:05 15,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cookies?
  • localnotail 8 May 2012 22:45:11 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is anyone going to the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Radio Show Live Tour?

Bit pricey but I'm sure it will be worth it. A variety of Book narrators. More details on their Facebook page.

• jonsaan 8 May 2012 22:49:17 25,326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard that cOokie story many times in various guises. It's a goodun though.

Edited by jonsaan at 22:49:55 08-05-2012

FCUTA!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous