Japan's largest Mag: FF brand has collapsed, is now about movies and CG graphics

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • cloud360 13 Jan 2012 09:01:53 44 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://n4g.com/news/920243/japanese-magazine-ff-brand-has-collapsed-is-now-about-movies-and-cg-graphics/com

    From japan's biggest magazine publisher.

    I agree, who else agrees that the FF brand has been destroyed. FF has also lost its way?
  • PenguinJim 13 Jan 2012 09:07:32 5,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ummm... that magazine article is dated February 1999, isn't it? I remember reading it at the time.
  • roz123 13 Jan 2012 09:08:00 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The latest Final Fantasy XII-2 sold poorly for a FF game in Japan but it was still one of the best selling games of the year. I have never been a massive fan of the series but its so huge it can easily keep on going, they just haven't made as good games recently as they did in the past.
  • DaM 13 Jan 2012 09:11:28 12,611 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FF sake!
    (for any Japanese readers, that's swearing, not a new brand of drink).

    Edited by DaM at 09:11:52 13-01-2012
  • Tuffty 13 Jan 2012 09:16:23 1,396 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I disagree. I'd say XIV is the biggest misstep in the series so far, but who honestly cares about it? XIII has it's critics, and perhaps rightfully so in some areas, but it had as many people liking the game (myself included). So when you look at it, it's only really been one misstep thus far with XIII. SE tried a different approach with how to do a JRPG and it didn't resonate with a lot of people. But they have listened to the feedback, the developers of XIII-2 have even outright said as much and it's evident if you've played the XIII-2 demo to just how different it is. I doubt they are going to make another game in the same style as XIII ever again. On top of that, Versus XIII looks like an exciting game and Type 0 also shows promise.

    I think to write off the brand after one game is rather harsh. Each game is so different from each other in the first place that it would be easy for the next one to start from scratch. It's impossible for the fans to agree on a particular FF game as being the best. I don't like FFIX but I know to many others it's their favourite. Who knows what FFXV will be, but I have more reason to be optimistic than anything.

    Edited by Tuffty at 09:17:41 13-01-2012
  • cloud360 13 Jan 2012 09:21:22 44 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Ummm... that magazine article is dated February 1999, isn't it? I remember reading it at the time.
    No,lol.

    It was published recently
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jan 2012 09:21:53 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FF sort of fell apart after FFIX.
  • Lexx87 13 Jan 2012 09:25:01 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FFX was ace you poo!

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jan 2012 09:31:52 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some bits of FFX were alright. But it also had Tidus and Wakka in it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jan 2012 09:44:18 36,285 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FinalFantasylol. Never played one that I actually liked.

    I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • RedSparrows 13 Jan 2012 09:45:44 20,760 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And FF7 is overrated!

    /flees
  • cloud360 13 Jan 2012 09:53:41 44 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Some bits of FFX were alright. But it also had Tidus and Wakka in it.
    Auron,Wakka (for his special attack which is msotp owerful in the game) and Rikku where my favourite characters

    I also love yuna's Summons

    Edited by cloud360 at 09:53:55 13-01-2012
  • cloud360 13 Jan 2012 09:54:26 44 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    And FF7 is overrated!

    /flees
    YOu better, FF7 is what got many into JRPG's and FF series. FF13 and FF14 and FF12 is what got people out !
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jan 2012 10:07:03 36,285 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hated FF7. Fucking really hated it and I kept sticking my time into it because people were raving about it. But no, it was clunky to play and the story was proto-emo bollocks. I'm actually convinced sephiroth was just so angry because he was coming to terms with his sexuality and targeted Cloud because he couldn't come to terms with the fact he wanted Cloud's big thick sword.

    I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Deleted user 13 January 2012 10:08:59
    I like the one with Cid.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jan 2012 10:17:34 36,285 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, why didn't Cloud use a Phoenix Down on Aeris? They spend the rest of the game eating them like sweeties but noooooooo.

    I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • jakuande 13 Jan 2012 10:23:58 192 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you started FF in the SNES era you probably think it started to fall apart with 7 so this is all moot. If you started with 7 (like most EU players) it's a bit more complicated, there's plenty of reasons to hate each instalment since then :

    FF8 : Story makes no sense, characters too emo, draw system is fail.

    FF9 : Story makes no sense (esp end boss), characters too cartoony, battle system kinda bland, whole thing a bit too retro.

    FF10 : Story makes no sense (esp re identity of Sin), Characters too annoying, wtf no world map/too linear.

    FF12 : Story makes no sense and is plain boring, characters look nice but have no actual character, game plays itself if you set up your gambits right.

    FF13 : Story really and truly makes no sense whatsoever and is impossible to follow, characters even more annoying than in FF10 and since the story is utter garbage we care even less, wtf can only control 1 character and game ends if they die, wtf game chooses abilities for you?!, even more corriddory than FF10, etc , etc

    I used to love the final fantasy series (up to and including 10) despite its increasing flaws but FF13 takes them to a whole new level and is the first instalment I couldn't bring myself to finish. Seems likely that it may herald the end of the series as we know it.
  • Cappy 13 Jan 2012 10:28:53 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I hated FF7. Fucking really hated it and I kept sticking my time into it because people were raving about it. But no, it was clunky to play and the story was proto-emo bollocks. I'm actually convinced sephiroth was just so angry because he was coming to terms with his sexuality and targeted Cloud because he couldn't come to terms with the fact he wanted Cloud's big thick sword.
    Sounds like you know all about it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jan 2012 10:31:45 36,285 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have my own big thick sword.

    I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jan 2012 10:32:37 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMG FF7 spoilers!
  • Cappy 13 Jan 2012 10:54:54 11,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's needed is somebody with a lot of time on their hands to plot a graph of the growth of non-interactive cutscene content, game by game chronologically.

    Despite a reputation for being quite lavish with the cut-scenes Final Fantasy VII has few in comparison to later games and few by the standards of today when even shooters regularly interrupt regular programming with scenes dropped in wily-nily.

    What with cutscenes being expensive, they've thrived at the expense of a World with more elements the player can interact with. First optional areas get the axe, they're long gone you buy them as DLC now. Branching pathways and alternate routes, spending money to potentially make dim people angry and confuse them? Chop, gone. Secrets? That's money that could be spent on CGI hair, costume tassel and ribbon animation, they can discover cutscenes instead!

    It's not just Final Fantasy of course, it's happened to a lot of games spread across most genres. When was the last time you actually found a secret area that wasn't just a lazy arena, enemy clearance type affair built from existing assets?
  • uiruki 13 Jan 2012 11:17:45 3,531 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the hell, people in "can't read Japanese" shocker. I'm on the bus so I only gave the article a quickish skim, but the vast majority of the article is about the social game Final Fantasy Brigade.

    It discusses the high costs for ingame items endemic to social games, accusing them of selling their souls for the Mobage buck. The bit at the end says that m aany fans have come to expect high quality CG from the series, and quotes someone saying that the SD graohics in Brigade don't cut it.

    I'll come back to this later. My immediate reaction is, "don't trust people who use Google Translate for Japanese articles."

    Edit: that is concerning the original article - the N4G text (but not the headline) has a better grip om it. I might just translate the whole thing later, see what I feel like.

    Edited by uiruki at 11:27:41 13-01-2012
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2012 11:18:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Also, why didn't Cloud use a Phoenix Down on Aeris? They spend the rest of the game eating them like sweeties but noooooooo.
    They don't cure death, just unconsciousness. A better question would be why does getting hit by meteors only knocks you unconscious, but a little sword in the belly is insta- death.

    I love ffvii unreservedly btw :)
  • Nazo 13 Jan 2012 12:32:42 317 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Complete misunderstanding of the original Japanese article.

    It's about a social game FF Brigade that uses a freemium model, which is what has people pissed off.
    The point about the graphics and movies is that FF fans are used to high quality graphics and CGI but this one uses cute caricature style art.

    Translation fail shocker
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply