High Speed Trains in the UK Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• GiarcYekrub 10 Jan 2012 16:57:55 3,722 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There should be high speed main trunk that serve nodes(or cities) these nodes should provide a connections to the local networks
  • dsmx 10 Jan 2012 17:04:13 7,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well a while back someone got me a copy of bradshaws railway map from 1907 if you want to be really depressed about how coverage has fallen I could post a picture of that, according to the book their was 23000 miles of track in this country at that point.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• X201 10 Jan 2012 17:05:14 15,229 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    There should be high speed main trunk that serve nodes(or cities) these nodes should provide a connections to the local networks
    I think that's what you'll end up with eventually, but you need to build the first sections in order to build the rest.

When fully built this will become the West Coast Mainline. Then the existing East Coast Mainline will get upgraded and you'll have the basic network. It will take ages and cost loads though. but it needs doing.
  • dsmx 10 Jan 2012 17:07:25 7,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It took them 85 years to build the epic rail network we used to have with a bunch of workman and explosives however back then you could just build whatever you wanted nearly and they couldn't stop you. These days we have so many pressure groups and insane planning regulations that getting anything built is an achievement in itself.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• faux_carnation 11 Jan 2012 00:43:28 9,200 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't often agree with Simon Jenkins, but this time I do.
  • Khanivor 11 Jan 2012 01:00:30 40,506 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It does seem like a lot of money for not a lot of payback.

Well, unless you are going to be getting one of the contracts. Then it will be fucking awesome.

Canny though, finding a project with which to siphon public money into a few private hands which will get the blessing, or at least apathy, of the lefty types as it's based on a topic they traditionally get moist over.
  • FWB 11 Jan 2012 01:01:26 44,094 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Said it before, but 32billion well worth spent if it annoys Tory Middle-England.
  • PenguinJim 11 Jan 2012 04:38:25 5,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It doesn't seem to get a lot of mention internationally, but we've had our HSR for a few years here. All the dry technical/political stuff as well as the details of the 3.5-year delay are pretty much covered in that article, but it doesn't quite relate the convenience of replacing my £3 3-hour bus journey or £4 3-hour train journey with a smooth, clean, modern £5 45-minute HSR journey from my city to the capital. :)

Although to be fair, I usually just hop on a bus and sleep.

If you're genuinely interested in Taiwan's HSR and you're also the owner of a PS3, might I suggest trying the Taiwan HSR Game (it's region-free, don't worry), a truly unique game that is sadly overlooked whenever PS3-exclusive lists are compiled.
  • FairgroundTown 11 Jan 2012 09:45:39 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Simon Jenkins on HS2.

(He is against it.)
  • GiarcYekrub 28 Jan 2013 16:48:09 3,722 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like they are going to build a Station up the road from my Parents, they live in Long Eaton which is really close to Toton.
  • Psychotext 28 Jan 2013 16:57:51 53,920 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a proposed map for this anywhere?
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 16:59:03 6,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Looks like they are going to build a Station up the road from my Parents, they live in Long Eaton which is really close to Toton.
    ^ The mastermind behind the whole thing
  • GiarcYekrub 28 Jan 2013 17:00:20 3,722 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21232762
  • Psychotext 28 Jan 2013 17:01:13 53,920 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 17:07:07 6,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't understand why it isn't going up to Newcastle
  • TheSaint 28 Jan 2013 17:12:17 14,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I don't understand why it isn't going up to Newcastle
    Probably because that would be too sensible.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jan 2013 17:17:42 15,770 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So about 100 billion when they finish.
  • Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 17:30:02 17,701 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    100 fucking billion? Where's the money for it coming from btw? I've not read anything about it.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jan 2013 17:43:43 15,770 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually 30 billion, but you know what inevitably happens is what I mean.
  • faux_carnation 28 Jan 2013 17:43:57 9,200 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's going to happen to the mainlines which run parallel to HS2? Any chance they'll become cheap?
  • FWB 28 Jan 2013 17:53:24 44,094 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hahahaha. You're so cute, faux. So very, very cute.

I'm all for these lines. Plaster the country with them. Whatever pisses off the inbred, DM reading, Tory voting country wankers.
  • Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 18:06:24 17,701 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Actually 30 billion, but you know what inevitably happens is what I mean.
    Oh ok. I did actually mean 'where is the money coming from'! Is it PFI or direct from government?.

Know what you're saying though.
  • DaM 28 Jan 2013 18:15:27 12,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    What's going to happen to the mainlines which run parallel to HS2? Any chance they'll become cheap?
    FWB wrote:
    Hahahaha. You're so cute, faux. So very, very cute.
    Actually that's precisely what they did in France with the HGV, so it would be used by everyone and not just businessmen and well off. Unlikely to be repeated here, no learning from history :)

TGV Wiki.

122 million users in 2009. I don't know why they don't just ask the French to do it for us, TGVUK, they clearly know what they are doing. They seemed to build theirs very quickly in chunks. With the timelines being put out for this, half of us will be dead before it's ready.

Edited by DaM at 18:16:25 28-01-2013
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 18:48:00 6,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is another thing I don't get. This is going to take so long and with each passing year it becomes more and more redundant. So much business is done over the a fibre optic cable now how much value really exists in being able to get to london quickly?

The time to make this sort of investment in the railways was 30/40 years ago. Not starting it now to finish in 20/30 years time.
  • mal 28 Jan 2013 18:56:05 22,419 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I don't know why they don't just ask the French to do it for us, TGVUK, they clearly know what they are doing. They seemed to build theirs very quickly in chunks. With the timelines being put out for this, half of us will be dead before it's ready.
    If I learned anything from my years at EG, it's that planning regulations between the UK and France are very different. France basically pay everyone a fair market rate plus a bit for the houses and land they're going to take up, while the UK pays significantly less and expects you to go to court if you want any more, which obviously takes a while before actual building can start.

That's probably massively oversimplified, if not flat out wrong, but you've no one to blame but yourselves, EG hive mind, if so.

Edit: @Shikasama People have been predicting the need for transport and offices to be soon redundant since as long as I can remember, and while working from home is now a lot more common than it once was (in certain industries at least), we've still got a busier transport network than ever.

Edited by mal at 18:59:41 28-01-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RedSparrows 29 Jan 2013 00:57:44 22,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    £32 billion on existing rail system + digital communications + a nice little packet for me = why HS2?
  • Fab4 29 Jan 2013 08:12:21 5,986 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its either better transport links or start to plan for a 2nd tier to London. And the underground cities of science fiction become reality :D
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 08:29:07 6,712 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    DaM wrote:

Edit: @Shikasama People have been predicting the need for transport and offices to be soon redundant since as long as I can remember, and while working from home is now a lot more common than it once was (in certain industries at least), we've still got a busier transport network than ever.
    I'm not even talking about working from home. I doubt there is a huge mass of people in Birmingham and Leeds itching to commute to London on a high speed rail network. The idea of 'the big london meeting' and having to do most of your business face to face IS dying. Aside from conventions I don't meet any of our clients and they pay us hundreds of thousands a year.

In another 20/30 years it will be even less important as video conferencing becomes de rigeur.
  • SClaw 29 Jan 2013 08:29:48 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While this has a lot of merit in its own right, the real reason I want this to go ahead is to give a massive middle finger to all the bastards opposing it.

I know a couple who are. Ohhhhh Iím sooooo sorry that a train track is being built within half a mile of your fucking mansion in your fucking posh arse village where they look at me like I dropped out of someoneís nose. Iím sure itíll get right in the way when youíre driving one of your several BMWs to your fucking cattery you hard done by TWATS.

To be honest I donít mind them objecting. It would bother me too if I lived there, but letís not pretend itís about the environment, eh? Be honest. Itís about your house price.
  • SClaw 29 Jan 2013 08:32:39 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Shikasama Depends who you work for. In mainland Europe it's pretty much unacceptable to work remotely. I get called over to the arse end of France constantly for one or two hour meetings - a trip which pointlessly costs thousands of euros and takes me out of the office for ages. Can't we use bloody skype? No... apparently not. It's not the same?!?
  • Page

of 6 First / Last