• mcmonkeyplc 30 Jan 2013 11:04:20 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah that bank needs a fucking slap.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• elstoof 30 Jan 2013 11:27:31 6,618 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh Euston is a turd, but it probably still will be after they've turned into the HS2 terminus. It's a real shame having those awful office blocks and bus garage in front of that shit station, but we'll still have all of that. We'd all be better off if we restored Euston to it's former glory and leave it to serve the lines it already serves, because that's the whole point of the new railway isn't it? Brand new lines that don't rely on Victorian infrastructure? So why don't we build a new station where you can easily walk across a platform from HS1 to HS2 without traipsing around Camden for shits and giggles? Somewhere like Old Oak Common perhaps?
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jan 2013 11:51:44 16,951 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meggsy wrote:
    @GiarcYekrub

More or less my exact thoughts. It's just short-sighted to put it off any longer. We need new rail infrastructure; there's not much capacity left in the overworked and increasingly expensive existing system. Our loading gauge means that trains can't become wider or taller without altering every bridge and tunnel, they can only get longer.

A new high-speed network can address this. It's a clean sheet and can be designed for the future needs, we rarely get a chance to do this.

As for alternatives? Bigger airports and wider motorways would surely aggravate NIMBYs even more, and still rely heavily on oil.
    Many rail groups have pointed out dozens of projects Network Rail want to carry out on East & West Coast lines that would speed up travel to London by a similar amount, give much greater support to Freight trains and increase capacity all at a fraction of the cost. They could also be started almost immediately instead of in 5 years.

Ignoring the rail system they could run fibre optic cables to every home and business in the UK for less than £10bn. For £25bn they could underground the power network at the same time. No electricity or telephone polls anywhere, super-fast internet for everyone and £7bn on improving the rail network.

For me it's not about the idea of High Speed rail, it's about what else you could do with the money.
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 11:56:11 53,809 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Ignoring the rail system they could run fibre optic cables to every home and business in the UK for less than £10bn. For £25bn they could underground the power network at the same time. No electricity or telephone polls anywhere, super-fast internet for everyone and £7bn on improving the rail network.
    Holy shit... now that would have made a massive difference to the UK. I would go so far to say it would likely have significantly improved the country.
  • Phily50 30 Jan 2013 11:57:58 2,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mal touché.
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 12:14:49 6,618 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the existing WCML, the APT high speed prototype went from London to Glasgow in 3 hours 50 minutes. That was in the 80's, we could probably do a whole lot more with the current network if we put even a quarter of this proposed budget into it. It's a shame everyone gets blinded by the shiny newness of getting Germans or Japanese to build our train system, who don't allow foreign firms like us to even bid for these contracts on their networks.
  • GiarcYekrub 30 Jan 2013 12:33:59 3,660 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not just about speed, its about increasing capacity, its amount maintaining existing local links, its about distributing some more of the wealth from the south east arround the country
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 12:39:03 6,618 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Increases in speed = increased capacity. I don't see how it could possibly help distribute wealth from the south east, if anything it'll make it easier to justify basing your operations in London because you could expect people to travel the extra distance. Bye bye satellite operations in Birmingham, we've just rented a mega office in Guildford. Thanks HS2 and Crossrail!
  • President_Weasel 30 Jan 2013 12:45:20 8,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Holy shit... now that would have made a massive difference to the UK. I would go so far to say it would likely have significantly improved the country.
    Yeah, I saw it described (by someone on the BBC news, maybe?) as "isn't this exactly the sort of project dictators tend to announce when they're trying to give themselves legitimacy?"

It's great that after decades of neglect the government are planning to invest in rail and therefore create some jobs, but they do seem to have picked the worst way to do it. The figures for shorter journey times to Scotland look great, until you see the part where it's 20 years til they take effect.

I like the Muerko Plan much better.

Hell, we're spending public money on subsidizing private companies to run the railways anyway, so why not take them back into state control and stop bleeding cash into the pockets of the likes of Stagecoach?

Germany has a manufacturing sector and will subsidize the costs of building a spur line to your factory to load freight so it's not on the roads. We're spending billions to move businessmen from Birmingham to London quicker in fifteen years time.

Edited by President_Weasel at 12:46:54 30-01-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Jan 2013 12:54:21 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Increases in speed = increased capacity. I don't see how it could possibly help distribute wealth from the south east, if anything it'll make it easier to justify basing your operations in London because you could expect people to travel the extra distance. Bye bye satellite operations in Birmingham, we've just rented a mega office in Guildford. Thanks HS2 and Crossrail!
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    So people commuting to London where they can get paid more won't benefit the local economies of where these people live?

People won't spend their money locally at all? Won't be able to afford bigger housing? Won't be able to afford newer cars? Won't shop at their local supermarkets...

Companies won't want to operate in area's where the land is cheaper, office space is cheaper but they still have easy fast access to the capital?

• DaM 30 Jan 2013 12:57:37 12,900 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    On the existing WCML, the APT high speed prototype went from London to Glasgow in 3 hours 50 minutes.

I think maybe it had a secret role, a highspeed noncenetwork.

One of those trains sat at a siding in Glasgow for years.
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 13:03:17 6,618 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkey, y ou're making it sound like Birmingham is packed full of unemployed businessmen sitting in bedsits, fully suited and crying into their empty briefcases "Damn you slow trains! I want a BMW and a 4 bed semi!"
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Jan 2013 13:08:32 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not?

• jonigcraes 30 Jan 2013 13:54:04 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I'd probably pay £32 billion to get out of Birmingham faster.
    hahaha!
  • RobAnybody 30 Jan 2013 14:51:02 881 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd pay £64 billion not to go there in the first place. :D
  • brokenkey 30 Jan 2013 14:51:11 6,945 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    A woman, who recently had her house valued at 275k, has now been told it has a value of £0 due to it's proximity to the proposed HS2 route.

Absolutely astonishing.
    That has to be complete bollocks. Next time you are on a train look out the window and see if you think every house you can spot is worthless.
    Its quite handy for the family though - the mother is in care, the house is worthless (so it can be transferred to the family with no tax liability). Because the mother has no assets she'll get free care.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• mal 30 Jan 2013 14:59:12 22,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Re Brum to the continent, there's a proposal as part of this HS2 phase 1 proposal for a new junction somewhere in Camden which will divert southerly trains from heading to Euston towards HS1 and the channel tunnel instead. Presumably, from what people here are saying, this will pass through Stratford, but presumably not stop there.

Edit: @BrokenKey As I understand it, it's only been valued at zilch for the purposes of securing a mortgage. Doesn't mean you can buy it for that price, or for taxation purposes.

Edited by mal at 15:02:20 30-01-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• GiarcYekrub 12 Sep 2013 17:00:58 3,660 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They need to stop arguing and start building the sodding thing
  • elstoof 12 Sep 2013 17:11:50 6,618 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does Diana live at the other end of the route from you?
  • faux_carnation 12 Sep 2013 17:25:54 9,051 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's the same bullshit "infrastructure" policy this country seems to peddle constantly. If they really want to improve transport links, how about electrifying the parts of the network that still run on diesel but are too far away from London for the government to care about? How about making it easier to go from Manchester to Sheffield or Liverpool to Nottingham instead of just connecting everyone up to London even more than they already are?
  • RedSparrows 12 Sep 2013 18:19:35 22,030 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    A woman, who recently had her house valued at 275k, has now been told it has a value of £0 due to it's proximity to the proposed HS2 route.

Absolutely astonishing.
    That has to be complete bollocks. Next time you are on a train look out the window and see if you think every house you can spot is worthless.
    Its quite handy for the family though - the mother is in care, the house is worthless (so it can be transferred to the family with no tax liability). Because the mother has no assets she'll get free care.
    Land tax now!

/flies vague flag
  • GiarcYekrub 12 Sep 2013 18:36:49 3,660 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    It's the same bullshit "infrastructure" policy this country seems to peddle constantly. If they really want to improve transport links, how about electrifying the parts of the network that still run on diesel but are too far away from London for the government to care about? How about making it easier to go from Manchester to Sheffield or Liverpool to Nottingham instead of just connecting everyone up to London even more than they already are?
    They are, thats what this about, its about increasing capacity, reducing pressure points on the entire network, its absurd that we have to rely on a broken 19th century network. The uk has out grown it, we should of started building this years ago, unless you think teleportation is going to be a viable transport alternative we need more rails
  • Deleted user 12 September 2013 19:00:46
    I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet. What has really been bothering me about the whole HS2 £80billion projected project is why are we still paying to keep the failing private train operators making profit from government subsidy, while at the same time letting the price-walk-on-train-fares be ten times the means of a minimum wage worker.

For the £40billion we've put by for this project, we could buy back the entire UK train network and fix all the network flow issues in cross country and upgrade parts of the network that have diminished the service in privatised hands. We could then look to subsidize the cost of travel to match journey duration cost to minimum wage rate, to make it “PUBLIC” transport again.

The government primary job at the moment is helping more unemployed back into gainful NI/Inc Tax paying work, so that we get economic growth and larger VAT receipts. The irony is that the poorest in society are forced to drive to save money, while the wealthiest are paying silly prices for the convenience of crowded rail services.

As a nation we must be a laughing stock with the Germans when they look at our definition of public transport, the service level and financial setup, and the private company subsidy; and that is before we go waste £80billion on a project to give failing private operators more ways to fleece the public.

I'm not against adding HS2 to a great public owned UK train network that is already at its best and used by the "public", but this is just glossing over the cracks with £40-£80billion imo.
  • Mr-Brett 12 Sep 2013 19:21:11 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that's got to be the most coherent post I've seen you make vizzini and even stranger is that I broadly agree.

The tories will never nationalise anything unless they absolutely have to, I can't imagine what kind of colossal fuck up it'd take. Something akin to the financial crisis?

That's party politics for you though, fuck knows why we do it.

Portable view - Never forget.

• cubbymoore 12 Sep 2013 19:51:40 36,468 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone forgot to log out of their vizinni account.

(I also agree with his post)
  • Fake_Blood 12 Sep 2013 20:05:11 4,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You guys should get a hyperloop.
  • Mr-Brett 12 Sep 2013 20:26:42 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    You guys should get a hyperloop.
    Agreed, the UK is about the perfect size for it. Domestic air travel doesn't make much sense most of the time and the trains as we all know are pants. The nimbys would still complain but a hyperloop would in theory have a smaller impact on the surrounding area (being a closed system).

Portable view - Never forget.

• GiarcYekrub 13 Sep 2013 11:56:11 3,660 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We need to build it, its essential it's not an replacement for the existing lines its an additional component to the currently overstretched, out of date system.

Its not an either or, situation they are also doing:

-£37.5 billion by Network Rail between 2014 and 2019
    -delivery of Crossrail and Thameslink in London
    -an 850 mile national programme of electrification
    -new fleets of faster trains on the East Coast and Great Western mainlines
  • RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 12:04:20 22,030 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vizzini speaks sense! Goodness me!

A financial crisis has happened, and bugger me if not much has changed. Housing is being pushed again - and not in the sense of 'building more so people can actually live within their means'.
  • Chopsen 13 Sep 2013 12:06:43 15,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I..er...what...how did that happen? That's not only right but it's coherently written. Hackers!
  • Page

of 6 First / Last