Duck Up! - An iPhone game from an actual EG regular!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • coojam 7 Jan 2012 16:56:56 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi guys, a shameless piece of self promotion here, but I'm really keen to get feedback and thought this would be the ideal place to do it.

I've just released Duck Up! my first ever iPhone game which is out on the iPhone and iPod App Store now.

It's a colourful challenge-based platformer designed to capture the kind of high score gameplay that makes the likes of Trials HD so fun and addictive wrapped up in a package full of character and ever-so-slightly rude.

The first release is only small with one level and nine challenges, but this will grow as I release free updates in the coming months. So if you get the chance, please give it a go and let me know what you think!

iTunes Link.

Edited by coojam at 16:58:27 07-01-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2012 17:00:40 39,291 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /considers banning coojam.

Today's your lucky day, I bought the game instead.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• coojam 7 Jan 2012 17:07:30 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :lol: *phew*

Thanks man!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2012 17:08:43 39,291 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I don't like it, THEN I'll ban you :)

• coojam 7 Jan 2012 17:12:23 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like a deal!

Out of interest, I know I should have checked first, but is it against forum policy to do this sort of thing? Self-promotion I mean. I'd seen others announcing games and such, but the threads that were closed appeared to be from spammers who created an account just for that one purpose so assumed it was ok as I was a genuine forumite.

But then I also know they say about assumption...

Edited by coojam at 17:13:04 07-01-2012
  • Khanivor 7 Jan 2012 17:16:31 41,068 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Burn him!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2012 17:17:54 39,291 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We discussed it a few months back and decided to just ban the real obvious spammers. Personally speaking I would like to encourage the small developers like yourself who aren't just here to hit and run, but to engage with the community.

I mean, if we were to ban anyone who advertises their game then we'd have to ban marc_si and I doubt that would go down well :lol:

• psychokitten Moderator 7 Jan 2012 17:21:34 7,794 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, for genuine devs and people it's ok :)

I smelled you good and I could not detect spam
  • coojam 7 Jan 2012 17:39:45 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's good, I certainly appreciate it.

The most valuable thing for me at the moment is feedback and the EG forum is an ideal place for that... people don't tend to hold back and a bit of brutal honesty is always useful!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2012 17:58:50 39,291 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    See, that user "checkpoint" making threads about a game called Angry God, he was clearly a spammer. Probably Chinese to boot.

• Jacksie66 7 Jan 2012 19:48:18 574 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any release on Android?

Good to support the EG community..

Fair play to u man.
  • waggy79 7 Jan 2012 19:57:16 1,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally I would change the 2nd pic to another gameplay one as its very similar to the first. To give a better idea of what the games objective is. If that's possible of course, I don't know how much apple controls these things.
  • Lexx87 7 Jan 2012 20:27:50 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because iPhone games. Cost. That. Much.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 7 Jan 2012 20:31:13 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought it!

Speak the truth hussy!

• dufftownallan 7 Jan 2012 20:51:34 4,725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hi coojam

just downloaded it and played through the first four levels (i'll play more later and add more comment if i need to). first of all congratulations on a very polished and very playable game, it's great work!

i hope these criticisms will come across as constructive, i just had a couple of thoughts whilst playing;
    - is it possible to have a mute button on the front page menu? it's a really tiny consideration but when i open an app on my phone i don't like it instantly playing music without warning, a REALLY nitpicky complaint tho.
    - i felt the flow of the game was disrupted by having to tap the screen to start the level, there may be a reason for it but perhaps the level can start counting down straight away?
    - is there scope for having a "duck radar" on the screen? showing where all the ducks on the level are? that's something that may have been omitted on purpose though.
    - it might also be nice to know when you've collected the last duck on the level so that you know to leg it to the flag, maybe by way of a bell or a graphic?
    - to shave off precious milliseconds, would it be possible for the level to complete as soon as your duck hits any part of the flag? after i collected the last duck i dropped down over the flag but then had to tilt over the base of it to register.

it's a really solid wee game, it's presented well and it's very engaging; i can certainly see myself playing it more and i'll happily recommend it to friends. and don't think i didn't notice the sonic eyes on doug you fucking sega fanboy... :op

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing, i don't think anyone on the eg community could begrudge you making us all aware of your work, especially when it's as good as it is. I wish you all the best with it's development. now go work on more levels, i paid 69 pence for this shit...
  • dufftownallan 7 Jan 2012 20:52:11 4,725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    area881 wrote:
    I have a question coojam, why is the game so cheap?
    yet comment is free...
  • Deleted user 7 January 2012 23:56:48
    Are you considering a Lite version for us tight wads ?
  • Lexx87 8 Jan 2012 00:03:55 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only 69p! :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• coojam 8 Jan 2012 02:41:55 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This feedback is great, thank you all!

@Jacksie66

"Any release on Android?"

That is absolutely the plan, yes. I actually use an Android phone myself and use an iPod for dev. As I'm working on the game in my spare time, I wanted to get the iPhone version to a point where it had a big chunk of the content I have planned before bringing it to Android, but that should be fairly straight-forward given GameSalad's cross-platform support now. Hopefully in the next 3 months!

@ waggy79

"Personally I would change the 2nd pic to another gameplay one as its very similar to the first. To give a better idea of what the games objective is. If that's possible of course, I don't know how much apple controls these things."

That's a good point... when I originally uploaded the photos, I hadn't got my screen capture sorted properly, so I'll fix that tomorrow - thankfully Apple don't dictate too much in that respect!

@area881

"I have a question coojam, why is the game so cheap?"

As Lexx says, that's pretty much the benchmark price, if it costs anything at all. I didn't feel like I was offering enough content to justify a higher price-tag. I'm really pleased that people are happy to pay for it at all :)

@dufftownallan

That's some really good feedback, thanks. I'll add those points to the list of things I have prepared for the next update. Like you say a couple of points are intentional design decisions. The duck radar thing for example - I considered something like this but part of the depth comes from the exploration, learning the layouts and repeatedly mastering the optimal routes and I felt a map or radar would be too explicit. They are all are very much valid points though and I'll be sure to address them! I think I'm going to need a credits screen to say thanks to you guys too!

@bdaggers

"Are you considering a Lite version for us tight wads ?"

I have a stack of new levels, challenges and characters planned for free updates. Once that's done, I'll probably make a Lite version based on the game as it is at the moment, which is a single level made up of 9 challenges, depending on how the main game evolves. It's probably a while off at the moment though :)

If you like I have a handful of free codes I can send! You can't even buy a Kinder egg for 69p though these days!

Edited by coojam at 02:42:57 08-01-2012
  • INSOMANiAC 8 Jan 2012 03:44:03 3,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Free! Count me in !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• waggy79 8 Jan 2012 03:51:15 1,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is gamecentre support in the pipeline ?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Jan 2012 09:46:53 39,291 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just buy it you knobs. I'm sure you could do without one Mars bar, you look like you could do with losing some weight anyway.

• waggy79 8 Jan 2012 10:43:36 1,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DDevil
    Speak for yourself lardass :-)
  • macmurphy 8 Jan 2012 10:54:10 999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also bought it. Thought the objects were some times a bit arbitrary as regards whether you can stand on them - so the top of books counted as solid object but not the lamp. Also I think on the next update you need to chuck some toys in - some lifts, something that rotates, maybe some springs, to prevent it going stale. I appreciate the purity of the aesthetic, learning layouts and going for times, but since your front end is so stellar I think you only need a few more interesting mechanics and you could have a real seller. It's light on content too but I'm sure you know this, it's nice to support something at the start and watch how it develops.

But it's a sterling effort, nice to support an EG forumite and looking forward to the updates. I will recommend it to my friends. Also saw the Sonic eyes; blatant but rather endearing.
  • coojam 8 Jan 2012 15:24:16 625 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @waggy79

Is gamecentre support in the pipeline ?

Yes I'd like to introduce leaderboards and the plan is for it to remember fastest times and not just highest medal. I'm curious as to how much people actually like gamecenter - often I find it a bit intrusive in games where I just want to play and it's nagging me to log in.

@macmurphy

Thought the objects were some times a bit arbitrary as regards whether you can stand on them - so the top of books counted as solid object but not the lamp.

The only things you can't jump on should be the vase and the flowers - the lamps should be collideable. I'll check that as I know the books have issues because they're using an angles physics shape.

Also I think on the next update you need to chuck some toys in - some lifts, something that rotates, maybe some springs, to prevent it going stale. I appreciate the purity of the aesthetic, learning layouts and going for times, but since your front end is so stellar I think you only need a few more interesting mechanics and you could have a real seller.

I absolutely agree - the next set of levels will introduce new mechanics like you say, otherwise it's just more of the same but in a different setting. I will then re-introduce the new mechanics into new sets of challenges in the older levels.

Again, thank you for the support and the recommendations, it's really appreciated!

With regards to the Sonic resemblance, he is definitely an inspiration for the character design! As a kid I loved Sonic (in fact if I'm honest I still kinda do) and spent so much time drawing him, seeing how they adapted the character for Sonic the Comic and other media. It felt really natural that my character designs share that aesthetic. Hopefully Sega don't mind! It's more of a tribute that any intentional copycat behaviour :)

Edited by coojam at 15:52:53 08-01-2012
  • Flying_Pig 8 Jan 2012 16:25:09 11,327 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought and played. Really like the clear, bold look and the super simple concept and control method.

Looking forward to more levels!
  • macmurphy 8 Jan 2012 16:59:32 999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep sorry mate, I must have been being a biff. Top of lamp very solid. Keep up the good work.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous